Division V - Region 20 Championship: West Liberty-Salem (11-1) vs. West Jefferson (11-1)

Who wins?

• West Liberty-Salem by 15+

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • West Liberty-Salem by 8-14

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • West Liberty-Salem by 1-7

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • West Jefferson by 1-7

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • West Jefferson by 8-14

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • West Jefferson by 15+

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe this will hurt attendance maybe I am wrong but definitely won’t help.You have it at Marysville I would think surrounding schools would make the trip for it then. schools around WJ just not smart.
The distance should not hurt attendance. 80 minutes is not that bad. Sidney is a fine location.

WJ shoild roll easiky in this one.

i’m trying to understand the logic of the location, but there is none. like Sidney? attendance will be down i assume. nowhere in OHC country. as for Mechanicsburg- Piqua isn’t the worst thing but Bellefontaine would’ve been nicer. it’s a great stadium and 50 minutes isn’t awful. but the WJ-WLS game at Sidney is unacceptable.

i’m trying to understand the logic of the location, but there is none. like Sidney? attendance will be down i assume. nowhere in OHC country. as for Mechanicsburg- Piqua isn’t the worst thing but Bellefontaine would’ve been nicer. it’s a great stadium and 50 minutes isn’t awful. but the WJ-WLS game at Sidney is unacceptable.
Hey we people west Jeff have learned to just roll on with it we would probally drive to Tennessee to watch this game lol

West Jefferson had to open a few eyes with their dominating win over Shawnee in Week 12. I know it was one of the more surprising results to me. Not that WJ won, but by that margin. How much better does it get with these two rivals meeting in the Regional Final? Should be another great match up!

It doesn't matter where the game is to be played. Perhaps if WJ would have won in wk 8 vs WLS the game would have been closer to West Jeff. Just a few years ago WJ played Marion Pleasant at Hilliard Bradley; that was over a hour drive for Pleasant and maybe a 10 minute drive for WJ. It all even's out over time. WLS is a 3 pt favorite - doesn't matter what Calpreps or Drew Pasteur's site says, it's what the scoreboard said on Oct 18th and the scoreboard is the only thing that matters. WJ has earned a 2nd chance, hopefully they make the most of it.

The OHSAA did lose some gate revenue by playing this game in Sidney. If it was in Marysville, a lot of non WJ Madison County people would have come, saw a lot of kids/people from JA, Madison Plains and obviously London at the WJ-Shawnee game who will most likely not travel all the way to Sidney. Regardless WJ will bring their usual following and hey, at least there will be lavatories with running water and flushing toilets at the stadium for this WJ-WLS game.

The motto should be "Anytime, Anywhere"! Good luck to West Jeff! Very impressive win vs. Shawnee. Madison County football having a strong showing this year. Keep it going!

I wish Alder got to host this game but I'm sure it was too close in OHSAA's eyes.

So if Maria v coldwater was to be played in Marysville that would be all good because it’s a great site in a really nice town? Just askin
IDK any schools named Maria, however if Marion Local was to play another MAC school at Marysville I would be cool with that. Marysville has some nice downtown hole in the wall restaurants.

Wow, that WJ Shawnee game. Congrats to WJ on that win.

My thought for this game... does anyone change anything from the first time. Both O's scored well ,so why change? The D's didn't play bad/unsound, just ran into good O's. How much do you want to change for this game? More man vs. zone? Blitz more/less than before?
I thought Shawnee should have lined up in thier 5-2 base instead of scheming so much, and I think it cost them.

WJ obviously has the revenge factor. Should be another great game between the two.

So if Maria v coldwater was to be played in Marysville that would be all good because it’s a great site in a really nice town? Just askin
Sure. Why not? I'll take your word for it being a nice stadium as I have never been before.
IDK any schools named Maria, however if Marion Local was to play another MAC school at Marysville I would be cool with that. Marysville has some nice downtown hole in the wall restauran
As would i. but people complaining about playoff locations is as old as licking county fan complaining about ticket prices.

My thought for this game... does anyone change anything from the first time. Both O's scored well ,so why change? The D's didn't play bad/unsound, just ran into good O's. How much do you want to change for this game? More man vs. zone? Blitz more/less than before?
I thought Shawnee should have lined up in thier 5-2 base instead of scheming so much, and I think it cost them.

WJ obviously has the revenge factor. Should be another great game between the two.
I would bet WJ defense looks more like they did vs Shawnee than they did in week 8. Not get cut the same way again but I think WLS is good enough to cut you another way too.

I think we might make the trip over, Sidney does have a nice stadium, just wish this game and the Burg game were a little closer. OHSAA sure does nut hug the i75 corridor
i was thinking the same thing, Piqua, Sidney, Wapak, Lima, Findlay

Just tell me where to be and I won't miss a WJ playoff game (or any other WJ game for that matter)...............I don't much care where we play. It's week 13 and we still alive and well.

This match up is and has been one of the best match up's for both teams as I think both teams play a physical style of football and can run, pass and play above average defense. Looking at the respective scores and records of each team, the worst defensive game each had in terms of points and stats were against each other, which one poster previously posted maybe the defenses aren't that bad, just the offense for both are that good.

The first match up was a classic and I expect the same type of game...........with that being said it would surprise me if both teams play as well as they did in the 1st game. I think this game will come down to some turnovers and/or missed opportunities. I believe one team will win by 2 touchdowns, just don't know which one!!!!

I would list WLS as the favorite as my WJ/OSU/Steeler brethren mentioned since they beat WJ last time. They won a hard fought game that had nothing to do with ref calls, turnovers, one team playing bad, having a key player injured.............they just simply beat WJ and scored when it counted most.

I will also say again, congrats to BURG, WLS and WJ for making it to regional final game!!!!!

It doesn't matter where the game is to be played. Perhaps if WJ would have won in wk 8 vs WLS the game would have been closer to West Jeff. Just a few years ago WJ played Marion Pleasant at Hilliard Bradley; that was over a hour drive for Pleasant and maybe a 10 minute drive for WJ. It all even's out over time. WLS is a 3 pt favorite - doesn't matter what Calpreps or Drew Pasteur's site says, it's what the scoreboard said on Oct 18th and the scoreboard is the only thing that matters. WJ has earned a 2nd chance, hopefully they make the most of it.

The OHSAA did lose some gate revenue by playing this game in Sidney. If it was in Marysville, a lot of non WJ Madison County people would have come, saw a lot of kids/people from JA, Madison Plains and obviously London at the WJ-Shawnee game who will most likely not travel all the way to Sidney. Regardless WJ will bring their usual following and hey, at least there will be lavatories with running water and flushing toilets at the stadium for this WJ-WLS game.
I agree if you have it at Marysville you probably have some coming from Mechanicsburg and Triad Area I would assume it’s probably a 45 minute to 1 hour drive compared to at most 30 minutes to Marysville but oh well.Anyways congratulations to both teams but GO TIGERS

FB_IMG_1570804906323.jpg

Marysville hosted a division one game last Friday night so I’m not sure what was the matter with that, but Oh well we have to MoveOn.
Like what was already posted, Pleasant had to come and play West Jefferson at Bradley and North Union also had to come to Bradley to play West Jefferson.
The game that was played in week eight we will see a whole different West Jeff team come week 13.
I’m not calling that game a fluke by no means!
West liberty won that game with a great game plan That was executed perfectly and they played a perfect game.
West Jeff on the other hand did not have a good game plan and did make several mistakes.
The WJ varsity Has given up just 14 points in two playoff games against two really good teams, especially a Shawnee team that was supposed to win the region.
There shouldn’t be no underdog in this game!
These teams know each other play each other and matchup against each other very well.
You might as well look for a lot of scoring again and maybe who has the ball last will win the game just about like last game.
And all mistakes will have a huge impact on the game just like week 8.

My thought for this game... does anyone change anything from the first time. Both O's scored well, so why change? The D's didn't play bad/unsound, just ran into good O's. How much do you want to change for this game? More man vs. zone? Blitz more/less than before?

I think this game might come down to special teams, probably the biggest reason WLS is playing in the Reg 20 championship, last time WJ missed a PAT and then went for it multiple times and failed. For defense, I can tell you WJ didn't play D very well, one example I remember WJ has the back in the backfield for surely a 2 or 3-yard loss and he scored a TD, on the last drive it looked as if WJ had finally shut them down and then WLS made a big play. I believe that WJ losing to WLS was important though in realizing that the better team doesn't always win and I think it lit a fire under WJ. If WJ plays defense this week like they did last week I guarantee that WJ wins by at least two touchdowns.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a team that flat out won the first match up of a game get so disrespected the second time around, in any sport.

...realizing that the better team doesn't always win.

I really believe the WLS game was a fluke.

...you beat them by four and they made a ton of mistakes and you made zero.

...win by at least two touchdowns

I think West Jefferson will probably win this game. But the lack of respect from some of you for an opponent that flat out beat you in the first game is a real head scratcher.

I'll go WJ 34, WLS 31

No dog in the fight here and don't know why Sidney was chosen, but you do know that you're only talking a difference of probably 6-7 minutes to drive to Sidney rather than Piqua right? Also Bellefontaine might as well be a home game for WL. Anyways, looking forward to a great game and best of luck to both schools!

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have ever seen a team that flat out won the first match up of a game get so disrespected the second time around, in any sport.

I think West Jefferson will probably win this game. But the lack of respect from some of you for an opponent that flat out beat you in the first game is a real head scratcher.

I'll go WJ 34, WLS 31

I'm just going off the fact that just about everyone thought West Jeff was the better team, which I believe they still are. Everyone thought West Liberty winning had a very unlikely chance of occurring, may I point out, the definition of a fluke. Also, you just so happened to leave out the part of the quote where I mentioned WJ winning by at least two touchdowns after I said if they play defense like they did last week, which may I point out, last week they were winning by around 55 against a very good Shawnee team and a big part of that was the defense absolutely containing Glass.

I believe WJ will win this one going away but I will be rooting for WLS. Nice lil village with great people. WJ people on here seem a bit mean and offended easily.

I believe WJ will win this one going away but I will be rooting for WLS. Nice lil village with great people. WJ people on here seem a bit mean and offended easily.
You are absolutely correct... not all of us are like that. I grew up there and lived there up until 7 years ago. They can dish it out but cannot take it. Wj is a great place to raise kids, but the drama that happens is unreal. Probably the same for all small towns, but the mind set out there is compared to hearing a nuclear war broke out and think there is a bubble over the town to save them..

I'm just going off the fact that just about everyone thought West Jeff was the better team, which I believe they still are. Everyone thought West Liberty winning had a very unlikely chance of occurring, may I point out, the definition of a fluke. Also, you just so happened to leave out the part of the quote where I mentioned WJ winning by at least two touchdowns after I said if they play defense like they did last week, which may I point out, last week they were winning by around 55 against a very good Shawnee team and a big part of that was the defense absolutely containing Glass.

You drew me out of the shadows. ?

Everyone in West Jefferson thought that the Roughriders were a better team. Most everyone outside of West Liberty assumed West Jefferson was better strictly based on the Fairbanks loss (which is the definition of a fluke, not WJ beating WLS). West Liberty-Salem didn't believe any of that at all. As aforementioned, WLS straight up beat the Roughriders; and no, the Roughriders didn't beat themselves.

All of Week 8, I made a mockery of the overconfidence and just let everyone talk about how great West Jeff was and how overrated the pretenders WLS were. This time, all I can do is sit back shaking my head. It's mind boggling. For the first time in my 17 years of posting on JJHuddle and Yappi - I hope the players are reading this. Because I agree, many people are completely discrediting Week 8 and the talent of this WLS team.

See you Saturday! I hope the actual better team wins this time and not another fluke.