Division V - Region 17 Championship: Kirtland (12-0) vs. Akron Manchester (9-3)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Kirtland by 8-14

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Manchester by 1-7

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Manchester by 8-14

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Manchester by 15+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This is the game I was hoping for when the season started, but wasn’t sure we’d get to this point. Two teams with talented rushing. Two of the best coaches around. Could be one of the quickest playoff games on record if they each run it 50 times :ROFLMAO:. All kidding aside...Ethan Wright will be the best player Kirtland has played in a long while. Should be a fun one next Saturday!

What does Manchester have to do to end Kirtland's 27 game winning streak?
Hope the Kirtland bus breaks down on the way to the game?

In all seriousness, Kirtland is so physical and dominating on the line of scrimmage. The only way to beat them is to match their physicality. Something easier said than done.

Hope the Kirtland bus breaks down on the way to the game?

In all seriousness, Kirtland is so physical and dominating on the line of scrimmage. The only way to beat them is to match their physicality. Something easier said than done.
You need to have a balanced offense as well. Be efficient in both running and passing the ball with good to great athletes at the skilled positions. Kirtland doesn’t lose to one dimensional teams. You have to be able to keep their defense guessing. Like you said, easier said than done.

Game at Bedford.
brian1227 had it first. Game is at Bedford. 30 minute drive for Kirtland, 45 minute drive for Manchester. That’s somewhat fair because you can’t get it perfect. Better than last week for Kirtland where we traveled 75 minutes to Niles compared to South Range’s 20-30 minute drive.

I’m not one to complain about driving, I honestly don’t mind it, but there’s some of those fans who can get bent out of shape over traveling more than they have to.

Kirtland last played at Bedford Bearcat Stadium in 2010 when they took down their rival Cuyahoga Heights.

Probably going to be Kirtland. Probably. Do not be surprised if Manchester pulls the upset
If Manchester can’t pass effectively it will play out much like the SR game did. I don’t care how good of a running game a team has, If you can’t keep their defense honest with an efficient pass game they will dominate.

Obviously Kirtland is gonna win but I'm rooting for Manchester for reasons every other Div V school is probably rooting for Manchester

Kirtland has a dominant team and an incredible program. Manchester hasn't seen a team like Kirtland all year. But Manchester has played excellent football for 5 straight weeks, and they have the best football player in Ohio. Kirtland should win, but Manchester has something special going with this run. I just have this feeling that Wright and Foster are going to show up huge and Manchester finds a way to pull this out. Manchester by a touchdown.

Kirtland has a dominant team and an incredible program. Manchester hasn't seen a team like Kirtland all year. But Manchester has played excellent football for 5 straight weeks, and they have the best football player in Ohio. Kirtland should win, but Manchester has something special going with this run. I just have this feeling that Wright and Foster are going to show up huge and Manchester finds a way to pull this out. Manchester by a touchdown.
Best football player in Ohio? The kid is an excellent player and has a bright future at the collegiate level, but best in Ohio is overstating it a bit.

Best player in Ohio???

al, Wright is one of the better players in Ohio. Don't let the publicity and awards he gets and will get influence you. There are some other players who may challenge the "best" statement. No matter what others say, his blocking is suspect and his pass D has improved, but still needs work. I believe the "Best" should excel at everything.

al, Wright is one of the better players in Ohio. Don't let the publicity and awards he gets and will get influence you. There are some other players who may challenge the "best" statement. No matter what others say, his blocking is suspect and his pass D has improved, but still needs work. I believe the "Best" should excel at everything.
I'd argue he's a top 3 RB and a top 25 overall defensive player regardless of division. The kid finished 3rd in rushing yards and 8th in tackles in the state for the regular season. I haven't seen a kid dominate games on both sides of the ball like he did against NW, CVCA, and Rootstown. He's as good of a 2 way player as I've seen this year regardless of division and I don't know of anyone better in D5.

I'd argue he's a top 3 RB and a top 25 overall defensive player regardless of division. The kid finished 3rd in rushing yards and 8th in tackles in the state for the regular season. I haven't seen a kid dominate games on both sides of the ball like he did against NW, CVCA, and Rootstown. He's as good of a 2 way player as I've seen this year regardless of division and I don't know of anyone better in D5.
If you go to the Kirtland/Manchester game, let me know what you think of Kirtlands #1 and #28!!!!

Let’s not turn this thread into a debate about who the best in Ohio is. From what I’ve read & heard, Wright is a helluva player who does a lot for Manchester and the stats, awards, etc. show it. There’s lots of other players who may stake the claim to be one of the best in Ohio, especially in DV, but that’s not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about Coach LaVerde taking in a 91% winning percentage into this game against Coach France & co. who has 400 or so wins under his belt. I want to talk about Kirtland’s stack-I rushing attack going against Manchester’s solid defense. And I want to talk about Manchester’s full house rushing attack going against Kirtland’s solid defense.

This has the making of being a classic, especially considering Manchester is playing their best football as of late & Kirtland isn’t dominating teams like they have all season (except for the second half of this past week’s game).

With that being said, I’d like to see how each team will fare on defense. It will be interesting seeing the Hornets & Panthers defenses react to their own power run offenses being run at them (albeit in slightly different formations).

Hoping for a fun one in Bedford on Saturday!

He is a huge fish in a small pond in Div 5. Division 1 college talents stick out like a sore thumb in small school HS football. If he was at Hoban or St. Ed’s , he would still be a great player and Division 1 collegiate talent, but his production would take a big dip.

yo

you hate Ethan Wright because your grandson wasn't 1/15th of the player that Ethan is or was.

just say that and stop taking shots at a kid who's having one of the best seasons/careers EVER.

my god.

Our defense was able to get consistent penetration on Manchester's O-line, hitting Wright in the backfield on the majority of his carries. Outside his 48yd TD run, we held him to 43 yards on 21 carries. Wright is obviously their best player, but Foster is very good, too, as he carved us up for 120 yards on 15 carries. It's more of a 2-headed monster than a 1-man show.

With that said, their lack of an effective passing game hurts them. Our team was decent this year, but we were no Kirtland. If we can get consistent penetration, I can only imagine Kirtland's front 7 will cause havoc all night. If anyone can come up with a scheme to avoid disaster, it's Coach France. But I think it's inevitable.

Kirtland 35
Manchester 12

yo

you hate Ethan Wright because your grandson wasn't 1/15th of the player that Ethan is or was.

just say that and stop taking shots at a kid who's having one of the best seasons/careers EVER.

my god.
Henry, I don't know who you are and you definitely don't know who I am. I know who you think I am, but I'm not him. He laughs every time someone accuses him of being me. I do not hate Wright. I think he is a way above average player, a very good player. And, I think he will be better with good coaching at the next level, wherever that is.

My God too!