Division V Poll Voting Discussion (Week 5)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Use this thread to discuss your top ten voting for D5:

Vote Now - DV

* Note - while not all teams will be playing this year, all teams are listed in their OHSAA football divisions. As the season progresses, this will be corrected.

Ironton over Kirtland state title game. I wonder the last time a small school had two power 5 recruits in the backfield?

Ironton over Kirtland state title game. I wonder the last time a small school had two power 5 recruits in the backfield?
I’m not going to make any predictions in terms of the state title...I’m just grateful the boys have the opportunity to play.

Ironton’s backfield is the real deal, there’s zero doubt about that...I’m sure some D2 or D1 schools would LOVE those two in their backfield.

Kirtland had two Group of 5 guys back in 2011 (Christian Hauber went to Air Force & Damon Washington went to Miami), but both of them quit football shortly thereafter to focus on their careers after college...

I hope the Hornets & Tigers get to play one another in November, but there’s a lot of hungry teams waiting to prove themselves in D5...also keeping my fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy into November...

1. Kirtland - I put them here until they're beat

2. Ironton - Like Raider said, 2 P5 athletes in the backfield

3. Liberty Benton- Great coaching and athletes

4. Garrettsville Garfield - Wins over JFK and Mogadore in back to back weeks. They must be legit

5. West Lafayette Ridgewood - It was brought to my attention that I had them way too low last week so I tried to correct that. But I will tell you that I'm not impressed by their schedule at all. But they do have 5-0 Garaway this week

6. Wheelersburg - I wish Burg and Ironton had played this season.

7. South Range - My picks 3-9 seems like a logjam and I had to put them somewhere

8. Roger Bacon - LSU commit in the backfield

9. Versailles - Tigerball is back everyone!

10. Otsego - 5-0 with a win over Pemberville Eastwood. If I didn't put them in here, someone would probably scold me.

call me crazy but if Greenon scores a nice win at Greeneview this week, it would give me some confidence that they’re the 3rd/4th best team in region 20.

personally, i would LOVE to see the Knights draw Versailles in a later round playoff game. i know Versailles is the better team but i think it would be great for the program to go play a well respected MAC school such as Versailles in a meaningful game.

4. Garrettsville Garfield - Wins over JFK and Mogadore in back to back weeks. They must be legit
5. West Lafayette Ridgewood - ...
7. South Range - My picks 3-9 seems like a logjam and I had to put them somewhere
10. Otsego - 5-0 with a win over Pemberville Eastwood. If I didn't put them in here, someone would probably scold me.
Everything seems pretty reasonable/sensible to me, with the exception that I would say South Range should probably be 3 or at worst 4.
South Range defeated Poland (D-IV) who just shut out previously undefeated Hubbard (D-III), and their offense looks really good granted its not quite good enough to beat Kirtland. While Garfield is definitely good, I am sure than Poland is a better win than JFK, JFK is a good team and all but they would not beat Poland this year. Mogadore is also a good win but again, they would not beat Poland this year. Both teams are good wins for Garfield but South Range really has the best win.

Everything seems pretty reasonable/sensible to me, with the exception that I would say South Range should probably be 3 or at worst 4.
South Range defeated Poland (D-IV) who just shut out previously undefeated Hubbard (D-III), and their offense looks really good granted its not quite good enough to beat Kirtland. While Garfield is definitely good, I am sure than Poland is a better win than JFK, JFK is a good team and all but they would not beat Poland this year. Mogadore is also a good win but again, they would not beat Poland this year. Both teams are good wins for Garfield but South Range really has the best win.
Yea I agree that I had them too low. Theres so many good teams that it's just hard to place them.

South Range's biggest problem is they are the same region as Kirtland. I would have SR as state-championship caliber otherwise. But, there's just no way they're beating Kirtland.

Frankly, it's all of D5's problem right now. There are probably 4-6 teams that are really good and would be deserving state champions, but it just ain't gonna happen for them.

I'd put SR at #3. Kirtland and Ironton seem to be on a collision course again for the state title. SR is the only threat to Kirtland in the region.

5. West Lafayette Ridgewood - It was brought to my attention that I had them way too low last week so I tried to correct that. But I will tell you that I'm not impressed by their schedule at all. But they do have 5-0 Garaway this week

Corey Kiner is one of the best RBs in the State Probably the best D5 RB. The thing that worries me is Bacon has played nothing but cupcakes

call me crazy but if Greenon scores a nice win at Greeneview this week, it would give me some confidence that they’re the 3rd/4th best team in region 20.

personally, i would LOVE to see the Knights draw Versailles in a later round playoff game. i know Versailles is the better team but i think it would be great for the program to go play a well respected MAC school such as Versailles in a meaningful game.
Yeah, those DVII teams Grennon has beaten really support that claim.

Great list. The thing that jumped out at first glance was "you better be ready for a physical game!" for most of these schools.