Division One, State of Ohio, Final Four: Elder vs Springfield

From that pic it does look like it. But it does have an angle on it. When I was watching, #11 was blocking the whole thing. That looks like a different angle of what the TV was broadcasting.

From that pic it does look like it. But it does have an angle on it. When I was watching, #11 was blocking the whole thing. That looks like a different angle of what the TV was broadcasting.
Angle or not, as I said the entire ball is crossing the goal line. I took the picture of a replay they showed on TV. It was a touchdown and really inexcusable for both line judges to miss it in that situation. Those points really could have come back to matter.

Angle or not, as I said the entire ball is crossing the goal line. I took the picture of a replay they showed on TV. It was a touchdown and really inexcusable for both line judges to miss it in that situation. Those points really could have come back to matter.
The only thing I would say is it didn’t necessarily matter bc E forced Springfield to punt and got great FP where they scored on the next drive.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but I was watching it on tv and the ball did not cross the goal line. Good luck against PC.
Yes it did. They showed a camera shot right down the line (may have been a slight angle), but the nose of the football did cross the line. And PR is right, Royer was in the way of the official so he couldn't make the call since he couldn't see it.

The only thing I would say is it didn’t necessarily matter bc E forced Springfield to punt and got great FP where they scored on the next drive.
Elder did score on the next possession but they did not force a punt or get great FP.

Springfield got the ball out and Elder eventually intercepted and took over at its own 38 yard line.

His reps as a backup LB helped out there. Still, if they really don’t trust the kick cvg team, just kick the ball out of bounds.

Ok you keep saying this and once again have no knowledge of the rules (not being mean just letting you know). If Elder were to kick the ball out of bounds the opposing team can take the 5 yard penalty and move Elder back to re-kick again. That's why Elder doesn't kick the ball out of bounds.

I have suggested kicking the ball out of bounds, but am aware of the rule. It typically doesn't come into play because most teams would be happy to start on their 35. I'd also imagine that most teams are aware of Elder's struggles to cover the kickoff and a re-kick would be the decision for the opposing coach.

Ok you keep saying this and once again have no knowledge of the rules (not being mean just letting you know). If Elder were to kick the ball out of bounds the opposing team can take the 5 yard penalty and move Elder back to re-kick again. That's why Elder doesn't kick the ball out of bounds.
I wasn’t aware of that. I thought it was either take the penalty or re-kick from the same spot. However, how often do teams take the re-kick?

Burst my bubble? Hmmm, what game were you watching? Click on this picture and then please comment again. As is being called correctly by both Elder players with a perfect view, this is a touchdown!

Great picture! Watching online I did not see it till they showed the replay. With that said an Official was standing behind Royer. That Officials view was blocked (unless he could see through Royer). The Official on the side of goal line, no clue about his viewpoint. Don’t like to rip Officials but the Crew that did that game wasn’t very impressive for a State Semi Final in my opinion.

Instant replay in the championship game.

Good call. That play would have been reviewed if it was the state finals. They would have had needed good video evidence to overturn the call though.

Section 4.03 Plays governed by the goal line (a) Ball breaking the plan of the goal line. Whether any part of the ball broke the plane of the goal line while the ball was in player possession and before the ball should have been declared dead by rule. (i) A ruling of a touchdown can be reviewed to determine if the runner fumbled before the ball broke the plane of the goal line. If the ruling on the field is a touchdown, and it is clear the ball was not in player possession prior to the ball breaking the plane of the goal line, the down will count, and the ball will be placed at the spot of the fumble. (ii) A ruling of a safety can be reviewed to determine if the runner with possession of the ball got the entire ball out of the end zone. If it is determined that the ball did get outside of the endzone, and the ruling on the field was a safety, the ball will be placed at the dead ball spot and the down will count.

He's not worn out. Elder has just decided to stick with Harmeyer. I don't entirely agree with it, but one could argue it's worked out just fine.

He's not worn out. Elder has just decided to stick with Harmeyer. I don't entirely agree with it, but one could argue it's worked out just fine.

Think the Special Teams has improved a great deal and played a big role in some of the Wins the last few weeks. Have to stick with what works best for the Team!

Think the Special Teams has improved a great deal and played a big role in some of the Wins the last few weeks. Have to stick with what works best for the Team!

On the flip side the elder special teams really played a factor in losing the game against LaSalle...if special teams were on point that game elder wins by at least 3...I like that the special teams have been unpredictable with onside and squib kicks but it’s a high risk high reward choice fortunately elder has been on the good side of things the past 3 weeks

On the flip side the elder special teams really played a factor in losing the game against LaSalle...if special teams were on point that game elder wins by at least 3...I like that the special teams have been unpredictable with onside and squib kicks but it’s a high risk high reward choice fortunately elder has been on the good side of things the past 3 weeks

Not entirely. 2 botched kicks gave St. Xavier excellent field position. X had Elder beat until Luebbe went 70 yards with 1:30 left in the game on 4th & 5. It is definitely high risk/high reward. The onside against Springfield was a good call and well executed. They just got to be smart the onside or squib or pooch kick like they have the last 2 weeks.

The Springfield game isn't the best example, but the onside/squib kicks have been a way to try to force a turnover as well. The defense while much improved since early in the season hasn't forced a lot of turnovers this season. For the most part, Elder has been smart when they use the onside/squib kicks, with the St X game being probably the only exception, however they were definitely trying to keep the ball out of Cliffford's hands in that one.

The Springfield game isn't the best example, but the onside/squib kicks have been a way to try to force a turnover as well. The defense while much improved since early in the season hasn't forced a lot of turnovers this season. For the most part, Elder has been smart when they use the onside/squib kicks, with the St X game being probably the only exception, however they were definitely trying to keep the ball out of Cliffford's hands in that one.
The squibs can be effective, but I don’t like giving good teams short fields with the onside kicks. Even when you execute the onside perfectly, the odds of recovering are low. Strictly based on the odds, you have to wonder how many more times Elder can pull that off.