Division IV - Region 13 Championship: Perry (12-0) vs. Poland Seminary (10-2)

Who wins?

• Perry by 15+

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Perry by 8-14

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Perry by 1-7

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Poland Seminary by 1-7

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Poland Seminary by 8-14

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Poland Seminary by 15+

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kind of surprised by the unanimous feeling of "Perry advances." These two have a common opponent of Girard (Perry's first round playoff victory and Poland's week 6 matchup). Perry won this matchup by a score of 48-7 while Poland won their midseason matchup with Girard by a score of 45-7. Poland was just starting to catch its stride when it played Girard and have only gained momentum since (sans the week 10 nail-biter with Struthers, who they beat soundly the following week in the playoffs). I would imagine that Perry was playing at a high level when they met Girard in the first week of playoffs. Sounds like two very opposite styles of play, but beating the spread is usually best done by leaning heavily on the run game, controlling the clock, and keeping the elite offense off the field. Poland's defense is very strong, which could make them perfectly built to give Perry trouble. Hopefully the weather is dry on Saturday so that this doesn't hold the Perry offense back - will be very exciting to see how this game plays out!

How has Perry not been battle tested just curious on your thoughts? They did have a huge OOC game with Chardon who will be playing for a regional championship this year. They have a decent amount of talent returning from last years playoff team that made it to 3 weeks in the playoffs and some of their top tier talent like their RB and other guys played in the playoff in ‘17 when they lost to Stueb who went on to win state. They might not have had many wars this year but they have been over them the past 3years with guys on the current squad being involved with that
Just in terms of stronger week in and week out.

Just in terms of stronger week in and week out.

I'm not sure it was that much better. Perry did play a number of pushovers, but Chardon and Riverside were probably better than anybody Poland played. I would put Madison, West G, Chagrin Falls, and Geneva at the level of South Range, Girard, Marlington, Hubbard, and Struthers. Poland also played some pushovers like Jefferson and Lakeview.

Kind of surprised by the unanimous feeling of "Perry advances." These two have a common opponent of Girard (Perry's first round playoff victory and Poland's week 6 matchup). Perry won this matchup by a score of 48-7 while Poland won their midseason matchup with Girard by a score of 45-7. Poland was just starting to catch its stride when it played Girard and have only gained momentum since (sans the week 10 nail-biter with Struthers, who they beat soundly the following week in the playoffs). I would imagine that Perry was playing at a high level when they met Girard in the first week of playoffs. Sounds like two very opposite styles of play, but beating the spread is usually best done by leaning heavily on the run game, controlling the clock, and keeping the elite offense off the field. Poland's defense is very strong, which could make them perfectly built to give Perry trouble. Hopefully the weather is dry on Saturday so that this doesn't hold the Perry offense back - will be very exciting to see how this game plays out!

Comparitive scores are always tough, but comparing scores in blowouts is extra pointless. Poland was up 31-0 at halftime and Perry was up 42-0 at halftime. There's not much you can take away from that other than both Perry and Poland are much better than Girard.

Comparitive scores are always tough, but comparing scores in blowouts is extra pointless. Poland was up 31-0 at halftime and Perry was up 42-0 at halftime. There's not much you can take away from that other than both Perry and Poland are much better than Girard.

I'll give you that...And comparing anything between these teams on paper or film is likely pointless. Their styles of play are so different that it's almost impossible to judge how the game will shake out between them. I'm just kind of surprised that Poland's dominance and sound play doesn't have more folks thinking this will be a doozy.

Big thing will be, how is the Perry run defense? Poland likes to run the ball behind their 300 pound linemen

I'll give you that...And comparing anything between these teams on paper or film is likely pointless. Their styles of play are so different that it's almost impossible to judge how the game will shake out between them. I'm just kind of surprised that Poland's dominance and sound play doesn't have more folks thinking this will be a doozy.

I think this will be a good game. You can compare Poland to Chardon. Perry was up 31-7 on them before they made some mistakes and Chardon used their tough running game to work back into it and make it kind of close at the end.

I think this will be a good game. You can compare Poland to Chardon. Perry was up 31-7 on them before they made some mistakes and Chardon used their tough running game to work back into it and make it kind of close at the end.
I heard Chardon had a huge line this year. Is that true? Poland does not run a traditional wing t I believe. Just a lot of straight off tackle stuff. I would say Poland is better than Geneva probably. But I don't know about Chardon

The word I am hearing is the increased requirements from the OHSAA combined with the cost of putting a game on is making it less and less attractive for schools to want to host playoff games.

What worries me is Perry’s passing game. Poland’s pass defense is untested. They have done a good job against the pass but played nobody that can throw like Perry.

Poland can be boring to watch because they will just pound the ball methodically down the field. However, if they choose they have proven they can pass the ball effectively.

I heard Chardon had a huge line this year. Is that true? Poland does not run a traditional wing t I believe. Just a lot of straight off tackle stuff

5 guys in the 240-260 range if I recall correctly. Nobody up around 300, but they were all consistently big. They were also talented, not just big.

The following is a nice breakdown of Poland by HSFBFan99

HSFBFAN99

I am sure the Poland staff will have the team grounded, despite the fact that everyone thinks they will roll. For the IC fans, here are some details best I can remember, with the help of the game program...LOL

OL is huge. C-6'3 255 RG 6'3 360 RT 6'3 290 LG 6'2 220 or 6'4 240 (2 rotate) LT 6'5 300

Two decent tail backs #30 is the faster, and #32 more of a downhill power TB. Neither are "all state" type kids, but do more than their share of damage when given the opportunity.

#44 is primary FB and is very physical

TE is #33 or #45 both 6'2 225ish. #33 also plays D line and is probably one of the best players on the field.

#15 is sophmore QB who has been starting since week three. Doesn't get a chance (or need) to throw much but when he does, has made some very good throws. He is also very good on his feet, especially in RPO situations. I think he may have 11-12 TD and no INT's that I can remember.

#13 is best wide out, and very athletic and long.

Defense

#44 and #23 ILB's and both very physical. OLB's are #32 and #52. Also very strong and physical. The D Line is a rotation of several guys, but #33 sticks out IMO as the leader.

Secondary is solid, and has given up VERY few big plays this year.

Kicking Game is solid with #18 very consistently making extra points, and has a range about 35-40 yds for fg's.

My guess is Warren Harding didn’t bid and they thought Niles would be too small? Or maybe Niles refused to bid as well.

Keep hearing about this perry passing attack. Why isn’t anyone talking about Jaylen Anderson? Top10 rated kid in his class and #2 back in the state. Dude is a stud. If perry wanted to just run the ball they could. I bet you they feature him next year as the main aspect of the offense for perry but this year he just does everything for them

Keep hearing about this perry passing attack. Why isn’t anyone talking about Jaylen Anderson? Top10 rated kid in his class and #2 back in the state. Dude is a stud. If perry wanted to just run the ball they could. I bet you they feature him next year as the main aspect of the offense for perry but this year he just does everything for them

Look at his receiving stats. They feature him in the passing game out of the slot.

Looking over perry schedule, it made me feel very bad for Riverside. Team had to face 6 playoff teams. Perry Kirtland Kenston Mayfield Chardon and South. Went 4-6 and only lost to those 6 teams. That’s rough scheduling

Look at his receiving stats. They feature him in the passing game out of the slot.
Oh for sure. With some of their deep threats the underneath is wide open. I’m surprised the kid doesn’t have a better offer than Nebraska at the moment

Oh for sure. With some of their deep threats the underneath is wide open. I’m surprised the kid doesn’t have a better offer than Nebraska at the moment

They'll come. Schools were waiting to make sure he came back strong from his knee injury last year.

Looking over perry schedule, it made me feel very bad for Riverside. Team had to face 6 playoff teams. Perry Kirtland Kenston Mayfield Chardon and South. Went 4-6 and only lost to those 6 teams. That’s rough scheduling

Riverside isn't a great team, but they're much better than most 4-6 teams. I mean they took Mayfield (who almost beat Hoban on Friday) to overtime.

Omg Poland fans please stop perry is so superior. You lost to Youngstown boardman lol.

The Poland fans on here aren’t talking. We know it with be a tall task. Also, we had a different Qb (who got knocked out of the game) when we played Boardman. The Qb we have now is more of a dual threat.

I know it was the first game of the season, but how did Riverside put up 54 points against Perry?

That's a great question. I'll have to ask someone I know who was at that game. I do know that they changed up some personnel on defense (having a few guys start going both ways) a few games into the season and that helped out the secondary tremendously.