Division IV Football Poll - Week 3 (09/15/20)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes

1 Clinton-Massie (Clarksville) (3-0) (140) [11]
2 Wyoming (Cincinnati) (3-0) (94) [1]
3 Indian Hill (Cincinnati) (3-0) (82)
4 Bellevue (Bellevue) (3-0) (76)
5 Archbishop Mcnicholas (Cincinnati) (3-0) (53)
6 Van Wert (Van Wert) (3-0) (50) [1]
7 Bloom-Carroll (Carroll) (3-0) (47)
8 Clyde (Clyde) (2-1) (35)
9 Northwest (Canal Fulton) (3-0) (31) [1]
10 Chagrin Falls (Chagrin Falls) (3-0) (27) [1]

Others - Shelby (Shelby) (3-0), St Clairsville (St Clairsville) (3-0), Valley View (Germantown) (2-1), Wauseon (Wauseon) (3-0), Kenton (Kenton) (2-1)

For comparisons sake this is the first OHSAA AP poll:

1600201241778.png

Not being a homer here (at least not entirely), but if anything I would have expected Valley View to move no more than a spot or two after an overtime loss to a very good DIII Bellbrook team (Ranked #5 in DIII Yappi Poll). Surprised to see them drop out altogether.

When all is said and done Shelby will be moving up that list. Granted they've only played one team thus far with a winning record but they are geared for a big year I believe.

Not being a homer here (at least not entirely), but if anything I would have expected Valley View to move no more than a spot or two after an overtime loss to a very good DIII Bellbrook team (Ranked #5 in DIII Yappi Poll). Surprised to see them drop out altogether.
Any loss is likely going to drop you out when only 3 games have been played.

We'll see just how good McNick is over the back end of the schedule. They handled both Fenwick and Carroll, but each week from here it gets harder in the GCL Co-ed (CJ, then Alter, then Badin).

In my opinion, the 2 factors that will determine a deep playoff run and State Championship will be how the Regions are set and how the coaches seed the teams.

Wasn't Bloom-Carroll the one my sons and I saw Shelby take to the shed and back a few years back in a home playoff game?

I believe Shelby scored a TD on their first seven possessions that game before halftime. I cannot take that D4 part of the state seriously after that 2016 playoff run. Looking at how Licking Valley held up against Clyde last year only hardened my views.

I'm very interested in the old NOL matchup.

I was looking forward to it, but my hunch is that Shelby is going to lay the wood down as we get closer to it. The Shelby folks I talk to have no reservations about the fact that we should be going 4-2 in the MOAC annually, at minimum. We've had some lean years this century, but that GOAT team in 2017 that had the highest average margin of victory in the entire state seems to have rustled the expectations of the program for the better. I'm happy that the MOAC can yield us some easy playoff berths but it comes off a bit funky to look forward to a Shelby Galion matchup, rather than Tiffin and Bellevue.

I believe Shelby scored a TD on their first seven possessions that game before halftime. I cannot take that D4 part of the state seriously after that 2016 playoff run. Looking at how Licking Valley held up against Clyde last year only hardened my views.
I believe you're correct. We left at Half because it was 42-0 and cold, Ha!

I was looking forward to it, but my hunch is that Shelby is going to lay the wood down as we get closer to it. The Shelby folks I talk to have no reservations about the fact that we should be going 4-2 in the MOAC annually, at minimum. We've had some lean years this century, but that GOAT team in 2017 that had the highest average margin of victory in the entire state seems to have rustled the expectations of the program for the better. I'm happy that the MOAC can yield us some easy playoff berths but it comes off a bit funky to look forward to a Shelby Galion matchup, rather than Tiffin and Bellevue.
Bellevue and Shelby goes without saying. Actually, I'd be in favor of 2 matchups a year!

Bellevue and Shelby goes without saying. Actually, I'd be in favor of 2 matchups a year!

We are moving Bellevue back onto the schedule for Week 3, hopefully for a permanent spot. I am happy we scrimmage Norwalk, although I think that relationship is only going to be played for real on the hardwood.

As far as my D4 thoughts go, I really have to wait until the regions get drawn up and what the coaches think of other schools. I will admit that I would be quite disappointed if Shelby couldn't get two wins out of an expanded field (depending on how the byes are played out). I'm personally not afraid to take on the WBL schools like I would have been 5+ years ago.

Yeah, beating St. Marys Memorial the way you did a few years back probably helped, Ha!

To be honest, I wished Shelby was still on Norwalk's schedule. Moreso than Ontario although Truckers found a replacement moving forward in Bishop Hartley.

Waiting for UVA to kick off, so we can see the Brennan Armstrong era of the ACC.

We are moving Bellevue back onto the schedule for Week 3, hopefully for a permanent spot. I am happy we scrimmage Norwalk, although I think that relationship is only going to be played for real on the hardwood.

As far as my D4 thoughts go, I really have to wait until the regions get drawn up and what the coaches think of other schools. I will admit that I would be quite disappointed if Shelby couldn't get two wins out of an expanded field (depending on how the byes are played out). I'm personally not afraid to take on the WBL schools like I would have been 5+ years ago.
Good to see another fan in here, I thought I was all alone. Especially someone who has more insight on the program. Being down in the South I'm not as connected.

LaGrange Keystone is a team to look out for. They have, I think, only been in the playoffs two times in the history of the sport. This year they return most of the players from a 9-1 season, return all the offensive line and have highly skilled athletes. They played Clyde to a tough game last year and got better this year. It would be nice to see some new teams make it deep. Bellevue, Clyde, Shelby are also tough. Massie has to be the favorite though. I'm not sure why Canal Fulton Northwest is on this list. There are some good players there, but this is a reach by the polsters at this point.

The more and more I think of it, Bellevue is going to be a tough out. Their defense is tough, and they do an excellent job playing keep-away. Plus, I don't discount SBC Lake preparation.