Division III State Semifinal: Trotwood-Madison (10-3) vs. Bishop Hartley (12-1)

Who wins?

• Bishop Hartley by 15+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bishop Hartley by 8-14

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Bishop Hartley by 1-7

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Trotwood by 1-7

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Trotwood by 8-14

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Trotwood by 15+

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GWOC tomato cans?
Yes. Dayton is down. Way down. Maybe it's just a temporary thing. That said, Trotwood is a very good team, and no one at Hartley is taking them lightly. We're just not impressed by dominating wins against the likes of Canada Prep, Beavercreek, and Miamisburg. All the other wins were close games. Hartley will keep it close. Hawks would have been 7-3 against Trotwood schedule. The two teams are about equal. I'm looking forward to playing somebody who can match the Hawks on speed.

They don’t look good because they beat up on each other.
OCC fans have always said that when the reality has always been that, with the exception of one or two teams every season, they just aren't that good.

Yes. Dayton is down. Way down. Maybe it's just a temporary thing. That said, Trotwood is a very good team, and no one at Hartley is taking them lightly. We're just not impressed by dominating wins against the likes of Canada Prep, Beavercreek, and Miamisburg. All the other wins were close games. Hartley will keep it close. Hawks would have been 7-3 against Trotwood schedule. The two teams are about equal. I'm looking forward to playing somebody who can match the Hawks on speed.

OCC fans have always said that when the reality has always been that, with the exception of one or two teams every season, they just aren't that good.
I don't believe Hartley would have beaten Northmont, Winton Woods, Springfield, or Springboro. I also think Wayne would have given them problems. Trotwood is a good team so is Hartley. As this point in the season everyone is very good. Trotwood players are winners, their seniors have a state title in Basketball and Football. They are a really special group.

gentlemen, we should all just be glad that we did not get a Trotwood-Jonathan Alder matchup. that would be ugly. Alder hasn’t seen anything like Trotwood and never will. that could’ve been the worst state semi final of all time.

gentlemen, we should all just be glad that we did not get a Trotwood-Jonathan Alder matchup. that would be ugly. Alder hasn’t seen anything like Trotwood and never will. that could’ve been the worst state semi final of all time.
Nope, 2013 we gave Clyde that WORK!!!!!! Good times, bitter cold. Clyde fans FILLED the home side, and prolly are side as well. Place was rocking until we started scoring at will..

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY

Some numbers:

Trotwood Madison penalized 115 times for 914 yards. Averaging 9 penalties for 70 yards per game.
Trotwood Madison third down conversions 66 out of 134. 49%
Trotwood Madison fourth down conversions 6 out of 15. 40%
Trotwood Madison punting averages about 30 yards.
PAT 38/49 - 78%; FG 1/2 - 50% long 27 yards.
TOP averaging 27 minutes for season.

Keys for the Hawks defense: Prevent the quick strike. Especially on 1st and 2nd down. Hudson-Davis (#34) and both Huguely's (31 and #6) are a threat to pop off a big run on any play. Hamilton (#5) has no stats (offense or defense) for the last 4 weeks, so maybe he's out. If he's playing, he's a threat. On receiving, Blanton Jr (#4) appears to be fully recovered from his heart attack and is the major threat, but the other receivers Anderson (#3), Jordan (#14), and Morgan (#9) are also dangerous. Everybody is super fast. Hawks defense needs to force third downs. I doubt the kicker can hit reliably outside the 10 yard line. Hawks need to field the punts and use field position. Backup QB hasn't had a lot of passing reps against a fast defense. The offensive line is pretty meaty, so the front three are going to have to ratchet up the aggressive physicality. Minimizing own penalties and not turning it over are obvious in every game.

Some numbers:

Trotwood Madison penalized 115 times for 914 yards. Averaging 9 penalties for 70 yards per game.
Trotwood Madison third down conversions 66 out of 134. 49%
Trotwood Madison fourth down conversions 6 out of 15. 40%
Trotwood Madison punting averages about 30 yards.
PAT 38/49 - 78%; FG 1/2 - 50% long 27 yards.
TOP averaging 27 minutes for season.

Keys for the Hawks defense: Prevent the quick strike. Especially on 1st and 2nd down. Hudson-Davis (#34) and both Huguely's (31 and #6) are a threat to pop off a big run on any play. Hamilton (#5) has no stats (offense or defense) for the last 4 weeks, so maybe he's out. If he's playing, he's a threat. On receiving, Blanton Jr (#4) appears to be fully recovered from his heart attack and is the major threat, but the other receivers Anderson (#3), Jordan (#14), and Morgan (#9) are also dangerous. Everybody is super fast. Hawks defense needs to force third downs. I doubt the kicker can hit reliably outside the 10 yard line. Hawks need to field the punts and use field position. Backup QB hasn't had a lot of passing reps against a fast defense. The offensive line is pretty meaty, so the front three are going to have to ratchet up the aggressive physicality. Minimizing own penalties and not turning it over are obvious in every game.

Keys for Hartley to contain Trotwood
1. Like you said, limit the quick strike. Trotwood is dangerous when they get momentum and one play can change a drive. Hartley will have to win first down
2. Trotwood’s line is big and aggressive but they don’t have very good technique and don’t move fast. I’m not sure what Hartley has personnel wise on the defensive line but if they are twitchy guys that are decently sized they should be in very good shape.
3. Flow. Flow. Flow. Both Hughley brothers force a missed tackle nearly every play they touch the ball. If Hartley flows to the ball a missed tackle won’t mean much because there will be other guys there to gang tackle.

Hartley has a good enough offense that if the defense plays well and no special teams blunders happen (Wapak gave up two touchdowns on special teams week 1) they should win this game. Hartley is very capable of winning this game. I wish I was able to make it because this might be the best game in all of D3 this year.

Hartley is getting it put on them deep. Trotwood’s coaches are calling it out well defensively. T-M running an offense that Bill Walsh would be proud of.

TM 14
BH 0

59.9 left 1Q

Very interesting. Usually, Trotwood starts off slow and then explodes in the second half. Looks like Trotwood is starting off fast, we’ll see if they can continue to play at this rate

Very interesting. Usually, Trotwood starts off slow and then explodes in the second half. Looks like Trotwood is starting off fast, we’ll see if they can continue to play at this rate
I don’t even think Trotwood is starting off fast. Cooper Stewart is making Joe Burrow passes on 3rd down, and Trotwood is doing great sealing the edge. At the same time Hartley is most definitely their own worst enemy on offense.

Personal foul on Hartley before Trotwood coughs it up in the endzone (unsure which recovered, Hartley I presume?)

Trotwood-Madison ball up 17-0 first and goal with 32.3 left in the second quarter.

I don’t even think Trotwood is starting off fast. Cooper Stewart is making Joe Burrow passes on 3rd down, and Trotwood is doing great sealing the edge. At the same time Hartley is most definitely their own worst enemy on offense.

That sounds like a real Trotwood thing. When they are on, they are ON. They were a failed two point conversion away from beating Springfield who from the looks of it will be playing next friday in Canton for D1. They are a nightmare to play because when they have momentum and there is no way to stop them unless they beat themselves. I really wish I could have made that game.

Trotwood completely biffs up an opportunity to nail the coffin before half. Stuffed on 2nd and goal on the line (jet sweep), spike on 3rd and three straight false starts in field goal formation.

17-nil Trotwood

Trotwood basically gifted Hartley the opportunity to potentially make a comeback if the Hawks can flip the script in the second half. Hawks ball to start third quarter.