Division III State Semifinal: Trotwood-Madison (10-3) vs. Bishop Hartley (12-1)

Who wins?

• Bishop Hartley by 15+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bishop Hartley by 8-14

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Bishop Hartley by 1-7

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Trotwood by 1-7

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Trotwood by 8-14

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Trotwood by 15+

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

How have these teams not played each other in recent years?? They are so similar and such great programs. I would love to make this one.

By JARROD ULREY
THISWEEKSPORTS.COM
Posted at 11:34 AM

Hartley crossed a major barrier with its latest regional title.

With a 27-14 victory over second-seeded Jonathan Alder on Nov. 22 in the Division III, Region 11 final at Hilliard Darby, the top-seeded Hawks advanced to a state semifinal for the seventh time in 10 seasons and 10th time overall.

It was just five years ago, though, that Hartley was in a state semifinal in Division V. The program won Division IV state titles in 2010, ’15 and ’16 and was the Division V state runner-up in 2013.

In their latest regional final win, the Hawks scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 5-yard run by Jalan January on fourth-and-1 with 1 minute, 28 seconds remaining. January finished with 185 yards rushing and three scores on 31 carries.

Hartley is 12-1 and plays Trotwood-Madison in a state semifinal Nov. 29 at London

Screenshot_20191124-170945_Chrome.jpg

This looks to be a punch it out knock down drag out who is the toughest type of game. Hartley just comes at you relentlessly and Trotwood-Madison has zero back down in them. I am looking forward to seeing these two storied programs finally share the field. How about Hartley and Trotwood-Madison start playing in the regular season? Trotwood will have some spaces to fill because the GWOC is bailing on them. Should be a great game!

How about Hartley and Trotwood-Madison start playing in the regular season? Trotwood will have some spaces to fill because the GWOC is bailing on them.
I've always wanted to see them face each other. And it would be a perfect addition to the schedule. It would make a good swap with Belmont or Wheelersburg or the current week 1 opening. I think a second GCL-coed team needs to step up since Alter said no thanks, but maybe Massie is a better challenge than any of them. And an NCL team should be added as well. Two OCC teams would be good also - the local news folks would love to see more of those.

Watching the Bishop Hartley vs Desales game, other than Jalan January who else does the Hawks have? Only in 2nd quarter but not sure why Desales doesn't just stack the box. January looks like a nice running back, but I would think you would need more than one running back to make it this far in the play-off?

It's not often that I feel confident picking against Hartley, but I think Trotwood-Madison wins this game. Their defensive speed has the potential to cause some real issues for the Hawks. I'll go with:

Trotwood-Madison 21
Bishop Hartley 14

Watching the Bishop Hartley vs Desales game, other than Jalan January who else does the Hawks have?
QB Fleming can run the ball. RBs Parker, Sawyer, and Evans are pretty good. WRs Kenny and Saunders get some decent yardage on sweeps. They'll spread it around if they need to. Against Granville, they didn't need to. Against Jonathan Alder on the final offensive drive, they didn't need to.

Only in 2nd quarter but not sure why Desales doesn't just stack the box. January looks like a nice running back, but I would think you would need more than one running back to make it this far in the play-off?
The offense has some nice blocking schemes, but nothing so complicated that a smart defense can't figure it out. You load the box inside, they can beat you on the outside. But anyone with the speed and discipline to play sideline-to-sideline and deny the edge to Hartley will do well defensively.

QB is wildly inconsistent and hasn't the mastered the art of throwing it away where it's un-catchable, but he's thrown some decent balls this season. Hartley prefers to just pound it down your throat. They are a physical team, but not remarkably stronger than most of your schedule. You guys will be the first team to match up on speed since Timber Creek in week one. Hartley defense is strong and fast like the Rams, so it could be a low-scoring affair. Hawks did clean up penalties this last week, but the punting is still terrible. Pin them deep, make them punt, and you guys will definitely win the field position battle. Least mistakes wins this one.

Watching the Bishop Hartley vs Desales game, other than Jalan January who else does the Hawks have? Only in 2nd quarter but not sure why Desales doesn't just stack the box. January looks like a nice running back, but I would think you would need more than one running back to make it this far in the play-off?
Hartley has multiple weapons on offense, but if one thing is working in a game why change it. Hartley has nearly 4,400 yards running and January has 1988 yards of that. We have a dual threat QB, and lots of speed in the back field like #4 M. Sawyer has 569 yards himself and # QB Fleming has 735 yards. We can pass when we need to, QB is not super accurate but when called upon he performs.

Ho Hawks!!!!

By DAVE PURPURA
THISWEEKSPORTS.COM
Posted at 12:13 PM

Two Division III powers finally meet when Hartley faces Trotwood-Madison on Nov. 29 at London.

This state semifinal is believed to be the first meeting between the Hawks (12-1) and Rams (10-3), who are located just 84 miles apart but haven’t always been in the same classification. Trotwood-Madison has two state championships and three runner-up finishes since 2011, having been in Division III since 2013.

Hartley won Division IV titles in 2015 and 2016 before moving up to Division III in 2017. Had the Hawks reached the Division III state final that season, they would have faced the Rams. But Hartley lost to Dresden Tri-Valley in the Region 11 final and two weeks later Trotwood-Madison beat Tri-Valley for the championship.

I think Trotwood wins in a very good game. I think trotwoods defense Dominates this game and there offense makes som big plays through the air and Trotwood wins 21-3. It’s a Bold prediction but who knows what’s gonna happen it’s week 14.

Hartley keeps the penalties and turnovers down and defense can contain Hartley will win. Hartley has played plenty of teams with D1 talent and beat them still. All respect to Trotwood Madison, but Hartley has yet to reach their potential. This will be an awesome game between two titans of D3 and this can go either way. Several things could happen:

1. Defensive game low score that will come down to the last drive of game.

2. An offensive shootout

3. One team blows the other out.

Not only coulnd't pull away from Jackie Alder agricultural HS but needed some heroics to win . hmmm Pull away from Trotty W? All match-ups are different but sorry that was a bad take
Was wondering when you were going to show up, now that your beloved Rocks have been eliminated. Going to start with your region of death, beating undeserving farm schools, can’t compete with a team of athletes like TW? Anything is possible this time of year. Except for Coffman winning a title.

Hartley keeps the penalties and turnovers down and defense can contain Hartley will win. Hartley has played plenty of teams with D1 talent and beat them still. All respect to Trotwood Madison, but Hartley has yet to reach their potential. This will be an awesome game between two titans of D3 and this can go either way. Several things could happen:

1. Defensive game low score that will come down to the last drive of game.

2. An offensive shootout

3. One team blows the other out.

If Trotwood can keep the penalties and turnovers down, and defense can contain Trotwood will win. If Clinton-Massie keeps the penalties and turnovers down and defense can contain Clinton-Massie will win. If John Doe keeps the penalties and turnovers down and defense can contain John Doe will win. That’s really the formula to win any game. The question is can they. Hartley hasn’t played a team as talented or as good of a team as Trotwood yet this year. However, I think there are just a few teams that can beat Trotwood in D3 and Hartley is one of them.