Division III State Semifinal: Region 10 #1 Holy Name Green Wave (11-2) vs Region 9 #2 Canfield Cardinals (12-1) at Euclid Community Stadium

Who wins this Division III State Semifinal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It really doesn't matter who is down or not. I do know that Chardon pointed to this team as the team that was going to be the best team, and last year's team over achieved. Down or not, Chardon has been the best team in DIII that last few years, and Canfield beat them. The matchup with Holy Name should lean towards Canfield. Holy Name has not played a team like Canfield. There aren't too many DI players in the GLC. The main factor in this game and every game Canfield plays is Lowry. He's a beast on both sides of the ball and on special teams. He just pounds people. Canfield seems to have a huge advantage in the trenches. That will be the difference as they control the line of scrimmage. If Lowry is on, this game will get ugly quickly.

Region 9 was down compared to the last 3 years. There were times in the last 3 seasons when 7 of the top 10-12 in the state rankings were from region 9. The addition of the privates this year weakened Region 9 overall. Yeah, Ursuline was good and Chardon Canfield also good. But adding Gilmour, CVCA, VASJ, Hawken and US softened the region.
Losing Steubenville (how they ever were put in region 9 is still puzzling), Hubbard, SVSM, undefeated Dover and Streetsboro (loaded up with Akron city kids and Mike Hall) made for a weaker region and yes Division. Those 5 were better overall than anything added in the region this year. Tallmadge and Aurora were both state ranked in those years also. I think they were both a little down this year.
As I posted earlier, and Hewitt stated in his post-game interview, Chardon was going to have trouble with all the youngsters on the offensive line against a team like Canfield. He said something to the effect of "18 year olds vs freshman/sophomores".
Of course, these things are cyclical. Division 2 is a monster this year. So many good teams and arguably tougher than D1. No way division 3 got better this year.
None of this has anything to do with the state semis and this game. Why does there have to always be a reason why a team won and went this far? Maybe the reason is all of the teams left are really good.

Canfield's D played well yes and the game scheme was solid but aside from the two long runs by #11 and #12, Canfieds O wasnt overly impressive. Neither team passed well probably due to cold weather and winds whipping around in the stadium. Chardon had that one potential big gain pass drop which was self inflicted and had nothing to do with Canfield's secondary coverage. Field looked to be a bit slick which may have affected Chardons jet sweeps and speed. And Canfields North/South running game was perfect for the conditions. As far as proving "again and again" i assume you mean against the rest of their competition because this is the first time in 3 years they've showed up against Chardon. After looking back two years, they got outscored by the Hilltoppers by a combined 65-20.
Who cares?? They won this year..

I got in this thread to learn something about the teams and how they match up, not meaningless banter and theories why Canfield made it. Maybe the reason is simply a really good football team, just like everyone else playing this weekend.

Please look at the teams Hawken, US, Gilmour, CVCA played. A very inflated 47-11. Lot of D5, D6 teams on those schedules. Warrensville Hts., Grand Valley, Tuslaw, Trinity, Beachwood, Manchester on their schedules. There's a reason none of them were state ranked like Dover, SVSM, Streetsboro, Hubbard and Steubenville were in those "glory years" years of region 9. And Aurora and Tallmadge were down. No way those privates made for a better region in 2022.
I agree with you that Hawken, US, Gilmour, and CVCA weren’t actually that strong. Having said that, going into the year I thought Benedictine, Ursuline, and VASJ were equivalent replacements for Dover, SVSM, and Steubenville, but Benedictine was uncharacteristically bad, and VASJ underwhelmed, as well. The region does feel weaker this year, because Chardon did not seem as invincible. Props to Canfield for capitalizing. I think last year’s Chardon, Canfield, Dover, and Aurora are all better than any team in region 9 this year.

Would not call the game last Friday an ugly one, was a great defensive battle between two of the best programs in the state. You must not have watched the actual game, so I understand how the score may portray a not-so-glamorous win.
There is no such thing as ugly win.

None of this has anything to do with the state semis and this game. Why does there have to always be a reason why a team won and went this far? Maybe the reason is all of the teams left are really good.
I apologize for responding to another yappi member about high school football on a high school football forum. Please, nobody discusses anything else about Region 9 football. NBC is here to learn and not ask questions about why a team won. Also, no more comments on Euclid and safety concerns, unless the safety is Broc Lowry. We're here for you NBC.

Canfield (not because they're in region 9) will be too physical for Holy Name. Might not be 41-7 or 47-7 but 38-21ish. Holy Name QB is fun to watch, but Canfield D is excellent and will take away that counter and 500 yards of offense you saw in regional final.

Last edited:
Ok, I have 2 ways to analyze this from 2 comparative score ranges. Using +/- 3 for home field advantage, here is the deciding factors for picking this game.
#1 Mansfield beat New Phila away 21-10 for a factor of 14. Holy Name beat Mansfield by 1 so factor is 15. Canfield beat New Phila by 27-10 home for a factor of 14. Holy Name by 1
#2 HM lost to Clyde away 20-17 for a factor of 0. Bellevue lost to Clyde away 13 -12 for a -2 factor. Canfield beat Bellevue 28-12 at home for a factor of 13. So that's Canfield +15.

Total = Canfield by 14. Maybe. ;)

Ok, I have 2 ways to analyze this from 2 comparative score ranges. Using +/- 3 for home field advantage, here is the deciding factors for picking this game.
#1 Mansfield beat New Phila away 21-10 for a factor of 14. Holy Name beat Mansfield by 1 so factor is 15. Canfield beat New Phila by 27-10 home for a factor of 14. Holy Name by 1
#2 HM lost to Clyde away 20-17 for a factor of 0. Bellevue lost to Clyde away 13 -12 for a -2 factor. Canfield beat Bellevue 28-12 at home for a factor of 13. So that's Canfield +15.

I got lost at #1 and I'm a numbers guy. Well done lol.

Would not call the game last Friday an ugly one, was a great defensive battle between two of the best programs in the state. You must not have watched the actual game, so I understand how the score may portray a not-so-glamorous win.
You must have been watching with blinders. The offensive side was ugly. Uglier for Chardon. That being said, it was a great defensive battle. That might have been the 2 best defenses in DIII. Great defenses tend to make offenses ugly.

Something interesting is when I was a student in college as a freshmen I had two roommates, one went to Padua Franciscan and the other went to Holy Name. I haven't talked to the guy from Holy Name in almost 20 years I think. Just a weird anecdote I suppose of little to no interest.

I am thinking the Holy Name attendance might be a bit stronger due to being in closer proximity. I don't even know how many fans they usually have when they aren't playing Padua, as that is the only time I saw them play lately.

Canfield beat Bellevue away Should be a factor of 19

We shall see, I correctly predicted the exact score/outcome last week for Canfield...
I don't think they would get to a 3rd OT, someone would go for 2 probably before that.
That score is from the 1993 Holy War game between St. Ignatius and St. Edward. St. Ignatius won the game. EagleFan, a St. Edward alum, is still kinda upset about it so he posts that score everywhere 😎

Last edited:
Canfield was by far the better team, and region 9 was way stronger. I’m not sure Holy Name is top 4-5 in region 9.
Off the top of my head Chardon and Ursuline are both clearly better, Holy Name is probably only 7th or 8th in region 9.

Congratulations Canfield. I have given Simkon a lot of grief this year, but your team is one that the community should be proud of. They play hard and smart and are changing a winning culture into a championship culture. It looks like the kids are on a mission, that bye week made Canfield into an unstoppable force! ;)

Something interesting is when I was a student in college as a freshmen I had two roommates, one went to Padua Franciscan and the other went to Holy Name. I haven't talked to the guy from Holy Name in almost 20 years I think. Just a weird anecdote I suppose of little to no interest.

I am thinking the Holy Name attendance might be a bit stronger due to being in closer proximity. I don't even know how many fans they usually have when they aren't playing Padua, as that is the only time I saw them play lately.
Tangentiality ( [tan-jen″she-al´ĭ-te]) The tendency to speak about topics unrelated to the main topic of discussion.

("...omething interesting is when I was a student in college as a freshmen I had two roommates, one went to Padua Franciscan and the other went to Holy Name. I haven't talked to the guy from Holy Name in almost 20 years...)