Division III State Semifinal: Chardon (14-0) vs West Holmes (14-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • West Holmes by 1-7

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • West Holmes by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • West Holmes by 17+

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Region 9 is not near the toughest region. Get real. There are twenty or more teams in Ohio that beat Chardon if not more. They are a good team but Hobans, Ignatius’ , St. Edwards etc have athletes on another level than Chardon or anyone they’ve played.
Maybe so - but that is D1 so the statement is irrelevant.

I am sure many of the big D-I and D-II teams like St. Xavier, St. Edward, St. Ignatius, Archbishop Moeller, Pickerington Central and North, Colerain, Upper Arlington, Medina, Mentor, Archbishop Hoban, Massillon, Avon, TCC, etc can beat anyone in D-III, but the other posters are talking about relative difficulty, relative to the size of the schools.

Basically what everyone is saying is that the majority of the top teams from D-III were in region 9 this year. The majority of the other divisions have the top teams distributed through all 4 regions. D-III has probably 6 or 7 of the top 10 teams in region 9.

Those huge powerful D1 teams should be able to beat a team two divisions below them and half their size - what is the point ? All Chardon and schools like Kirtland have to do is beat the teams IN THEIR DIVISION. I dont understand the need to say things like that. Chardon is doing very well and working hard to be competitive in D3. Hell nobody in D1 is beating Ed's either.

Those huge powerful D1 teams should be able to beat a team two divisions below them and half their size - what is the point ? All Chardon and schools like Kirtland have to do is beat the teams IN THEIR DIVISION. I dont understand the need to say things like that. Chardon is doing very well and working hard to be competitive in D3. Hell nobody in D1 is beating Ed's either.
CHARDONs current JV squad played St. Ed’s Freshman last year as Freshman and competed very well, D held Ed’s to two scores, a feat as their Freshman QB last year could have been a super star on any DIII varsity team. Our offense made it into the red zone twice…. Final score 14-0 Ed’s…… If you use simkon’s logic you might say CHARDONs Freshman should have won the game…. LOL…. Just kidding…..

Seen both teams play this year. This will be by far the best combo of QB, RB and wrs Chardon will play so far this year. That said, Chardon will dominate in the trenches and that's where the game will be won. WH has big play potential so I think they score 21, unfortunately they will give up 42. Ever since Chardon laid an egg in the second half against NP they've been a team on a mission. No doubt the Chardon coach used that poor performance as motivation and the players have responded.

Seen both teams play this year. This will be by far the best combo of QB, RB and wrs Chardon will play so far this year. That said, Chardon will dominate in the trenches and that's where the game will be won. WH has big play potential so I think they score 21, unfortunately they will give up 42. Ever since Chardon laid an egg in the second half against NP they've been a team on a mission. No doubt the Chardon coach used that poor performance as motivation and the players have responded.
Not taking anything from WH, but I think both Glenville and Ursuline had better QB, WR, and RB combos. Not too many teams in the state had better offensive talent than those two squads. Luckily for Chardon, it took Glenville a few weeks to figure out how to best utilize that talent.

No doubt WH is solid, and hopefully this game is a good one.

Not taking anything from WH, but I think both Glenville and Ursuline had better QB, WR, and RB combos. Not too many teams in the state had better offensive talent than those two squads. Luckily for Chardon, it took Glenville a few weeks to figure out how to best utilize that talent.

No doubt WH is solid, and hopefully this game is a good one.
I would possibly add Akron East to that list. Tremendous talent, but no depth and sub-par coaching.

Chardon has been the D3 favorite all year, but after seeing Sam Williams-Dixon yesterday, he is a good enough talent where I just can't automatically say Chardon will win this game.

Defensively, he wasn't a difference maker against HN, but see why they had to have him out there. But offensively he is special because of how many different ways he can beat you. He ran inside the tackles, he got to the edge, he ran WR routes over the middle, he ran WR go routes. His presence overall (gotta also watch for the screens and all the motion they do with him) really opens things up for the rest of the offense.

Chardon probably will win this one, but that kid gives WH a chance against anybody in D3. He's a big time talent and definitely a name we'll hear more and more about the next two years.
SW-D is an impressive talent and has a high ceiling, but Chardon has seen equal or better talent this year and it hasn’t fazed them at all. SW-D hasn’t faced much competition in the OCC and Region 10, and was slowed down by the better teams. And WH will only get 6-7 possessions the entire game with Chardon’s ball control. That is several possessions fewer than a ‘regular’ game, so it limits their scoring ability regardless. You can’t score if you don’t have the ball.

And don’t sleep on the special teams in this game - Chardon excels here, and WH has a sub-par long snapper and kicking game. Look for a blocked punt and possibly some extra point struggles.

Good luck trying to slow him down. You are going to need a lot of it. Probably the most talented player chardon has seen all year and he is only a sophomore. I hope he stomps chardon just because you people are so big headed
Chardon has a lot of “it”. Should be a great challenge for SW-D and crew.

Anyone know if WH has faced any Wing-T this year, or even someone who ran pro-style or Iso? Not sure if the WH d-line can hold up vs the Chardon O-line, but WH does have very good LB’s and pursues to the ball and tackles well.
They have seen both this year. D-line isn't huge, but they are disciplined, play with good leverage, and move well. They have gone up against some solid O-lines, but none at Chardon's level. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

SW-D is an impressive talent and has a high ceiling, but Chardon has seen equal or better talent this year and it hasn’t fazed them at all. SW-D hasn’t faced much competition in the OCC and Region 10, and was slowed down by the better teams. And WH will only get 6-7 possessions the entire game with Chardon’s ball control. That is several possessions fewer than a ‘regular’ game, so it limits their scoring ability regardless. You can’t score if you don’t have the ball.

And don’t sleep on the special teams in this game - Chardon excels here, and WH has a sub-par long snapper and kicking game. Look for a blocked punt and possibly some extra point struggles.
Region 9 was brutal! I do think the OCC was better than most people give credit. WH was just that much better than the rest. Wooster lost in the regional semifinals in DII region 7 to Green Mansfield Sr (T-Y Tygers) most thought would come out of the top half of the bracket in region 10 to play WH again. Padua with an upset there. I think they compare slightly to Akron East as they have talent, but never seem to put it altogether. Although not as much talent as East. Not the toughest conference in Ohio, but very competitive with 4 playoff teams and that has helped for this playoff run.

Region 9 was brutal! I do think the OCC was better than most people give credit. WH was just that much better than the rest. Wooster lost in the regional semifinals in DII region 7 to Green Mansfield Sr (T-Y Tygers) most thought would come out of the top half of the bracket in region 10 to play WH again. Padua with an upset there. I think they compare slightly to Akron East as they have talent, but never seem to put it altogether. Although not as much talentas East. Not the toughest conference in Ohio, but very competitive with 4 playoff teams and that has helped for this playoff run.

Just in the last few years OCC has had Mr. Football in 2018 (Also same year West Holmes was tied with 5 minutes left in the game and had ball vs. DIII Champ Kenston in regional quarterfinal), a D III Runner Up who lost in overtime (Mansfield Senior Ty-Tygers) in 2019 and now West Holmes in the final 4 and Wooster losing a tight game to Green who beat the Ti-Tigers in 2021. I don't think it is as bad as some have said.

West Holmes has some talent and are extremely well coached. They play extremely hard. Chardon is unreal having seen them in person on Friday and it will be interesting to see if West Holmes can take that final step against the program right now in D III football.

Just in the last few years OCC has had Mr. Football in 2018 (Also same year West Holmes was tied with 5 minutes left in the game and had ball vs. DIII Champ Kenston in regional quarterfinal), a D III Runner Up who lost in overtime (Mansfield Senior Ty-Tygers) in 2019 and now West Holmes in the final 4 and Wooster losing a tight game to Green who beat the Ti-Tigers in 2021. I don't think it is as bad as some have said.

West Holmes has some talent and are extremely well coached. They play extremely hard. Chardon is unreal having seen them in person on Friday and it will be interesting to see if West Holmes can take that final step against the program right now
I agree - WH will be able to measure themselves and Coach Gardner’s success building the program this week. And they are an emotionally driven team that has some great comebacks this year. QB12 and Tucker Kaufman, just to make a few kids who are the emotional center of this team with what adversity they have each faced in their lives … they are easy to root for and had multiple big comeback wins this year. If Chardon gets a lead, they will need to keep their foot on the accelerator because WH doesn’t quit and can rack up points fast. But based on what Tiffin Columbian did to them and how brutal Region 9 was this year, I see Chardon with a victory and another year in the state finals.

Lynn Bowden can show all of you how to beat Chardon. Lol
Chardon was still in that game in the 4th, he was all Harding had. And ive watched the West Holmes/Holy Name game and i see nobody on WH that comes close to Lynn Bowden, hes an NFL player now. WH does have some impressive passing sets. Two things that will be crucial for WH: can they stop Chardons blitz and can Chardon control the clock with their 7+ minute drives to control time of possesion.

And that’s what Warren Harding needs to be relevant
Clueless statement right here… WGH may not be defending state champs like Chardon… but I can count about 8-9 NFL players just in the past 25 yrs from Warren Harding. I highly doubt Chardon has 2, if even 1.

Clueless statement right here… WGH may not be defending state champs like Chardon… but I can count about 8-9 NFL players just in the past 25 yrs from Warren Harding. I highly doubt Chardon has 2, if even 1.
WGH always seems to have one of those special kids from the area. They are not the perennial contenders as they once were back in the 80s or so. I can see the point made here….

I think you just proved his point … If WGH doesn’t have NFL level talent (even McDaniels had top talent to go along with his program) they aren’t relevant. But Chardon has a championship caliber program and doesn’t depend on lightning in a bottle.

But since you asked … Joe Masden, NFL lineman 2015-2018. Chardon born and bred.

WGH always seems to have one of those special kids from the area. They are not the perennial contenders as they once were back in the 80s or so. I can see the point made here….
No disrespect to Chardon… I do see the point made here. But if you want to compare football program history I wouldn’t say Harding is only relevant due to a few NFL players. 7 state titles, 18 playoff appearances, 36 NFL players and 1 NFL Hall of Fame member.

No disrespect to Chardon… I do see the point made here. But if you want to compare football program history I wouldn’t say Harding is only relevant due to a few NFL players. 7 state titles, 18 playoff appearances, 36 NFL players and 1 NFL Hall of Fame member.
We agree more than disagree, WGH has a legacy that cannot be denied for sure….. That type of legacy is what CHARDON is in the process of trying to build currently. That type of legacy happens over decades. I cannot disrespect WGH as when I played as a kid they were the standard to live up to.

I said “needs”, not “needed”… don’t mean to hijack the thread. Warren’s season ended a month ago let’s leave it there

LOL you were able to watch before I did, just finished it myself…….
WH QB #12 does have a strong arm and takes those shots downfield ….. good DB will have some chances at the turnovers, we’ve (CHARDON) been getting them all year.
#24 is a great athlete but he does not come off the field. He will not have the stamina to compete at a high level for 4 quarters.
Also agreed there are several two way players that will not be able to keep up. May be the reason for giving up 80 yards in penalties.
Last thing I noticed is the lack of speed as a whole on the part of the opponent this week (Holy Name)…. That did not prepare WH for the type of speed they will face next week.
I’m hoping for a great game, WH is 14-0 for a reason I’m excited to see what they got!
He literally gets better as the game goes on. He hasn’t showed any sort of lack of stamina the entire year. Do you think it’s just going to occur now? Like I said, I think Chardon will win this game but you are not giving West Holmes enough credit. If Chardon things that they are going to steam roll them like they did over then they will be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:
We agree more than disagree, WGH has a legacy that cannot be denied for sure….. That type of legacy is what CHARDON is in the process of trying to build currently. That type of legacy happens over decades. I cannot disrespect WGH as when I played as a kid they were the standard to live up to.
Btw When did Hewitt get hired at Chardon?? I’d love to see the little things he and his staff do to motivate and prepare their players… coming from a background playing at the D1 level under Meyer, no doubt he took some nuggets from those experiences. Seems like a good dude to me I’ve heard he was a stud back in the day. Just curious

Btw When did Hewitt get hired at Chardon?? I’d love to see the little things he and his staff do to motivate and prepare their players… coming from a background playing at the D1 level under Meyer, no doubt he took some nuggets from those experiences. Seems like a good dude to me I’ve heard he was a stud back in the day. Just curious
I believe this is his 11th year? Based on an interview this year… I’m sure someone can correct me if I’m wrong…..