Division III State Championship: Hamilton Badin (14-0) vs. Chardon (15-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Badin by 1-7

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Badin by 8-16

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Badin by 17+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt Badin losing their starting QB hurt them offensively. At a bare minimum, their running game became more one dimensional. But it is impossible to predict what would have happened had he played because everyone's game plan changes and in-game decisions become much different. Play calling, punting in certain situations, all the decisions that were made by both teams Friday night probably would have or at least could have been much different had he played. Last year, Chardon threw for 250 yards in the second half against DeSales to come from behind and win. I'm sure that was not the plan. Chardon rushed for 160 in the second half against Badin and yet punted a number of times in short yardage situations in order to keep the game on Badin's half of the field and make Badin drive the length of the field to score. It was a great game. Badin's run defense was as advertised. But make no mistake about it, Badin's offense was hurt by their starter not playing. Kid's a dude. It just doesn't mean that the game would have unfolded in a way that Badin would have won. Hats off to the Badin players and staff - a really clean game from both teams; very little trash talking; no cheap shots; a lot of respect being shown by players towards one another. Let's do it again sometime soon.
I believe this was the deciding factor in the game. Several times Chardon had 4th and short near midfield and punted the ball away late in the game. Each time it pushed Badin back a little further until their backs were in the endzone and that final short punt inside the 30 that led to the winning TD. It was smart football and great coaching. Many a championships have been won playing the field position game and relying on strong defense.

There are some many things that could have happened. Injuries are not ideal and losing there best player was no doubt challenging. But the outcome is the outcome. Chardon had people out as well, 2 starters. Both teams were not at there strongest.

There are some many things that could have happened. Injuries are not ideal and losing there best player was no doubt challenging. But the outcome is the outcome. Chardon had people out as well, 2 starters. Both teams were not at there strongest.
My final thoughts;

Hmm. I thought the RB (Jack) was Badin’s best player.
And it hard to not consider that Defense as Badin’s number 1 asset.

But anything is possible.
*I thought that sophomore QB played a really nice game.
* He has a bright future.
* Didn’t see Badin with its original QB.

* Chardon’s TE had a dropped pass.
Badin’s RB had one dropped pass also.(probably a TD).

*Badin had a nice crossing route just a bit over thrown in the RedZone but still eventually scored.

*If you look at the 4th Q stats, Chardon definitely had better numbers. And imho was starting to wear on that Badin defense.
The first 3 Q’s where pretty much even Steven .

*I don’t think the sophomore-QB did anything to lose the game. And there wasn’t much film on his tendencies.

*It’s hard to say.
Some RB/QB’s get hurt early some late. Sometimes their replacement comes in and wins the game and becomes a school Legend without much of a talent drop off.

*I didn’t think it was a huge set back considering it didn’t seem to diminish the Badin fans hope or confidence pre-game chatter.

* I can’t think of another team that seemed designed or almost “Taylor-Made” to beat Chardon.
*And I believe Chardon was more successful at running the football on Badin than anyone else they played.

*Both teams earned a ton of respect & recognition from me, ohio hs Fb fan of many moons had never seen a Badin football team play. That was one hell of a first impression!
I’m sure Badin’s team was honored and adored by its fans.

*Both Chardon/Badin ran through their competition, Region and Playoffs like titanium buzz-saws.
*Badin and Chardon were definitely the two best teams in D3 playing that Friday afternoon.

One of them had to lose. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be. Injuries, Penalties, mistakes, weather, turnovers unfortunately are a part of the big equation of anointing a Champion.
It’s a imperfect world. And the winds of time have blown clean many imperfections to leave only a score and a listed Champion. As it should be.

Last edited:
My final thoughts;

Hmm. I thought the RB (Jack) was Badin’s best player.
And it hard to not consider that Defense as Badin’s number 1 asset.

But anything is possible.
*I thought that sophomore QB played a really nice game.
* He has a bright future.
* Didn’t see Badin with its original QB.

* Chardon’s TE had a dropped pass.
Badin’s RB had one dropped pass also.(probably a TD).

*Badin had a nice crossing route just a bit over thrown in the RedZone but still eventually scored.

*If you look at the 4th Q stats, Chardon definitely had better numbers. And imho was starting to wear on that Badin defense.
The first 3 Q’s where pretty much even Steven .

*I don’t think the sophomore-QB did anything to lose the game. And there wasn’t much film on his tendencies.

*It’s hard to say.
Some RB/QB’s get hurt early some late. Sometimes their replacement comes in and wins the game and becomes a school Legend without much of a talent drop off.

*I didn’t think it was a huge set back considering it didn’t seem to diminish the Badin fans hope or confidence pre-game chatter.

* I can’t think of another team that seemed designed or almost “Taylor-Made” to beat Chardon.
*And I believe Chardon was more successful at running the football on Badin than anyone else they played.

*Both teams earned a ton of respect & recognition from me, ohio hs Fb fan of many moons had never seen a Badin football team play. That was one hell of a first impression!
I’m sure Badin’s team was honored and adored by its fans.

*Both Chardon/Badin ran through their competition, Region and Playoffs like titanium buzz-saws.
*Badin and Chardon were definitely the two best teams in D3 playing that Friday afternoon.

One of them had to lose. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be. Injuries, Penalties, mistakes, weather, turnovers unfortunately are a part of the big equation of anointing a Champion.
It’s a imperfect world. And the winds of time have blown clean many imperfections to leave only a score and a listed Champion. As it should be.
Great post! I 100% agree those were the best teams in DIII and it was a great championship game. I would rank the top four teams in DIII as follows:
Chardon
Badin
Bellbrook
Granville
Interesting to me all the talk about how impossibly tough region nine was/is and yet Chardon rolled everyone in that region. Chardon is the top of the mountain and as long as coach Hewitt stays there I suspect they will continue to be the standard. I feel the same for coach Yordy at Badin and feel he is building a special program

Great post! I 100% agree those were the best teams in DIII and it was a great championship game. I would rank the top four teams in DIII as follows:
Chardon
Badin
Bellbrook
Granville
Interesting to me all the talk about how impossibly tough region nine was/is and yet Chardon rolled everyone in that region. Chardon is the top of the mountain and as long as coach Hewitt stays there I suspect they will continue to be the standard. I feel the same for coach Yordy at Badin and feel he is building a special program
Chardon and Badin were a head above the next group. I would add Dover and Canfield to the Bellbrook and Granville group. I think any one of them beats the other on any given day. I think Chardon and Badin beat all 4 of them 9 out of 10.

IMO Badin will be back up there in the next few years. They have a great staff with "all" aboard the train so to speak. Was definitely not the case of the two previous coaches after Coach Malone. Their league will always have someone in the mix to win the region and after that it's anyone's chance to move on.

Chardon and Badin were a head above the next group. I would add Dover and Canfield to the Bellbrook and Granville group. I think any one of them beats the other on any given day. I think Chardon and Badin beat all 4 of them 9 out of 10.
No way Dover is in that class, Canfield? Maybe

I am talking 3-6. And I believe they belong in that. Chardon and Badin are a distant 1-2
They absolutely belong in that 3-6. Those 4 are all 10-14 pts behind Badin. But if they played each other 10 times they might all go 5-5. They are all 4 within a FG of each other.

For what it's worth. Defense matters and keeps you in any game. We saw 2 of the best defenses in the state. Athletes matter but so does coaching. You have to have those athletes in the right places at the right time. Both "could have"
PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2021] Chardon (OH) 24, [2021] Winton Woods (Cincinnati, OH) 17

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2021] Winton Woods (Cincinnati, OH) 19, [2021] Badin [Stephen T.] (Hamilton, OH) 17
Neither Chardon or Badin would be WW, c’mon man ?

I get that you are a total homer to your area. But Winton woods is no IMG. They got hot at the right time and went on a revenge tour. But far from unbeatable or they wouldn't have lost 3 games.

I get that you are a total homer to your area. But Winton woods is no IMG. They got hot at the right time and went on a revenge tour. But far from unbeatable or they wouldn't have lost 3 games.
'21 WW vs Cardon or Badin would be much closer than most people think. You are correct.

Chardon
Badin
Bellbrook
Granville
Yordy is gonna be a excellent coach. He has that “it” factor and exhumes confidence in his players.
As far as regions. R9 was better than R10 by far imho.
R11 was seen as a very competitive region with Hartley, DeSales, Granville, London.

R12 no many know much about. It seemed Alter or Clinton Massie , Trotwood,Wyoming were always the representatives from D 3-4 in the Southwest.

I just found out recently that McNicholas HC was ounce the “ ball boy on my alumnus hs Football program”. He also won a State Chanpionship in 93’ as QB. So I just started to follow them. I’ll be a McNick fan from now on, lol.

Yordy is gonna be a excellent coach. He has that “it” factor and exhumes confidence in his players.
As far as regions. R9 was better than R10 by far imho.
R11 was seen as a very competitive region with Hartley, DeSales, Granville, London.

R12 no many know much about. It seemed Alter or Clinton Massie , Trotwood,Wyoming were always the representatives from D 3-4 in the Southwest.

I just found out recently that McNicholas HC was ounce the “ ball boy on my alumnus hs Football program”. He also won a State Chanpionship in 93’ as QB. So I just started to follow them. I’ll be a McNick fan from now on, lol.
There has been a changing of the guard recently as Badin is slowly overtaking Alter in Region 12. I agree with you whole heartedly that region ten was the weakest region by far. I think 11 and 12 were pretty close and Bellbrook in 12 was a very tough two games for Badin and in the regional finals Bellbrook could have easily beat Badin that night. Granville and London in 11 were also very good teams. Chardon right now is the class of DIII and as long as their coach stays I don’t see that changing. Same for Badin with Yordy, he has taken a good program to the next level. By the way, Badin’s QB made first team all state, just saying ?

Dover beat a lot of really good teams, including Canfield.
I tend to go by match ups. Team A’s strength and weaknesses vs Team B Strength & Weaknesses. Style constraints and weak points.

Dover didn’t match up well with Badin or Chardon.
They probably lose to Bellbrook and Granville but I think the beat West Holmes.
I saw Dover play a good bit of the year. The were very good against balanced teams or passing teams, imo. They had a solid team. Chardon just annihilated them. Like most teams without a ferocious run defense.
Badin and Canfield and Glenville (week one) were the only teams able to slow down Chardon. I think Dover was as similar to Granville as Chardon was to Badin in concept, size and schedule. Canfield had the most experience in how to play Chardon. Them two teams are familiar.

Any list in my opinion has to have DeSales and Hartley on it. Them teams are known for playing brutal schedules with a few losses and still very capable of winning a State Championship. I was pretty shocked Hartley didn’t represent as Champions of R11.

Chardon
Badin
Bellbrook
Canfield/Dover/Granville
Hartley/DeSales/London
West Holmes

Last edited:
Landyn Vidourek-Badin's senior QB was/is a heck of a player. Period! He didn't play and that happens. My posts were never meant to discredit Chardon's program/team. Complete team from my limited knowledge.
I thought Badin played somewhat mediocre against both Bellbrook and Granville, jmo. Defensively, they were kept in the game.
Yordy has a good thing going on New London Rd. Should continue to attract talented student athletes from the area, much like the baseball program and the girls soccer team. They will win a title in the next 5-7 years.

Landyn Vidourek-Badin's senior QB was/is a heck of a player. Period! He didn't play and that happens. My posts were never meant to discredit Chardon's program/team. Complete team from my limited knowledge.
I thought Badin played somewhat mediocre against both Bellbrook and Granville, jmo. Defensively, they were kept in the game.
Yordy has a good thing going on New London Rd. Should continue to attract talented student athletes from the area, much like the baseball program and the girls soccer team. They will win a title in the next 5-7 years.
I understand. It’s heartbreaking to get that close to something and it not happen. It’s heartbreaking.
The Cincinnati(especially Catholic School System) area is the pinnacle of great schools that support their athletic programs. “They get it”

Cherish that!!

Unfortunately not all Catholic Schools in the State of Ohio are in that position. Hampered by Great Coach/Alums who had/chose to go to coach in the public school system for better pay/retirement/benefits.
Add a shrinking population, loss of community wealth/jobs and then a change in the Diocesan Administration that see’s football as a annoyance or challenge to its Authority or core mission and influence over the School/Diocese. They don’t “get it”.

I’m sure Badin continues it success and I felt bad for Yordy in the sense he was trying to win for his old coach and his alum. This season will be added to the annals of Badin Football legends. Be proud of having a great Alum able and willing to coach your football program.
I personally know how powerful that can be for a athletic program.
Imagine the diocese “sabotaging” it out of spite and bringing in outsiders who don’t understand the the area/culture and running it into the ground.

BADIN is gonna be fine. Expect to see them in the Regional, Semi Finals or Finals for years to come, imho.

Both Badin and Chardon have the same recipe for success in the future.
As for me, I just love watching Football played the right way. Effort, Pride, Culture, Respect, Enthusiasm, Mental Dicipline, Mental Toughness and Good Will are not bad things to have in your community, State or Country.

There has been a changing of the guard recently as Badin is slowly overtaking Alter in Region 12. I agree with you whole heartedly that region ten was the weakest region by far. I think 11 and 12 were pretty close and Bellbrook in 12 was a very tough two games for Badin and in the regional finals Bellbrook could have easily beat Badin that night. Granville and London in 11 were also very good teams. Chardon right now is the class of DIII and as long as their coach stays I don’t see that changing. Same for Badin with Yordy, he has taken a good program to the next level. By the way, Badin’s QB made first team all state, just saying ?
I would believe that with Alter's numbers they will drop to D4 next year,

I understand. It’s heartbreaking to get that close to something and it not happen. It’s heartbreaking.
The Cincinnati(especially Catholic School System) area is the pinnacle of great schools that support their athletic programs. “They get it”

Cherish that!!

Unfortunately not all Catholic Schools in the State of Ohio are in that position. Hampered by Great Coach/Alums who had/chose to go to coach in the public school system for better pay/retirement/benefits.
Add a shrinking population, loss of community wealth/jobs and then a change in the Diocesan Administration that see’s football as a annoyance or challenge to its Authority or core mission and influence over the School/Diocese. They don’t “get it”.

I’m sure Badin continues it success and I felt bad for Yordy in the sense he was trying to win for his old coach and his alum. This season will be added to the annals of Badin Football legends. Be proud of having a great Alum able and willing to coach your football program.
I personally know how powerful that can be for a athletic program.
Imagine the diocese “sabotaging” it out of spite and bringing in outsiders who don’t understand the the area/culture and running it into the ground.

BADIN is gonna be fine. Expect to see them in the Regional, Semi Finals or Finals for years to come, imho.

Both Badin and Chardon have the same recipe for success in the future.
As for me, I just love watching Football played the right way. Effort, Pride, Culture, Respect, Enthusiasm, Mental Dicipline, Mental Toughness and Good Will are not bad things to have in your community, State or Country.
Well said!

I tend to go by match ups. Team A’s strength and weaknesses vs Team B Strength & Weaknesses. Style constraints and weak points.

Dover didn’t match up well with Badin or Chardon.
They probably lose to Bellbrook and Granville but I think the beat West Holmes.
I saw Dover play a good bit of the year. The were very good against balanced teams or passing teams, imo. They had a solid team. Chardon just annihilated them. Like most teams without a ferocious run defense.
Badin and Canfield and Glenville (week one) were the only teams able to slow down Chardon. I think Dover was as similar to Granville as Chardon was to Badin in concept, size and schedule. Canfield had the most experience in how to play Chardon. Them two teams are familiar.

Any list in my opinion has to have DeSales and Hartley on it. Them teams are known for playing brutal schedules with a few losses and still very capable of winning a State Championship. I was pretty shocked Hartley didn’t represent as Champions of R11.

Chardon
Badin
Bellbrook
Canfield/Dover/Granville
Hartley/DeSales/London
West Holmes

Aurora at full strength should be included in this group, as well. I would put them with the Canfield/Dover/Granville group.

Aurora at full strength should be included in this group, as well. I would put them with the Canfield/Dover/Granville group.
I think Aurora at full strength is better than Dover at full strength, given Dover only won in OT as it was.

After seeing everything it is hard to figure who to rank where because it is all about how teams match up against each other.
I think Chardon is obviously #1 but beyond that is gets weird, for instance
I think Badin matches up best against a team like Chardon, and not quite as well against say Canfield, that is why Badin played Chardon the closest
Canfield did not have the speed and quite enough athletes on both sides of the ball to match up very well against Chardon, but I think they would match up well against Badin.
Each team has its own unique strengths and weaknesses so you can't always say one team is strictly better than the other. Even if all the top teams in D-III could play each other you would probably have a situation were Team A beat Team B, Team B beat Team C and Team C beat Team A. With the exception that Chardon would beat everyone most likely.

I think Aurora at full strength is better than Dover at full strength, given Dover only won in OT as it was.

After seeing everything it is hard to figure who to rank where because it is all about how teams match up against each other.
I think Chardon is obviously #1 but beyond that is gets weird, for instance
I think Badin matches up best against a team like Chardon, and not quite as well against say Canfield, that is why Badin played Chardon the closest
Canfield did not have the speed and quite enough athletes on both sides of the ball to match up very well against Chardon, but I think they would match up well against Badin.
Each team has its own unique strengths and weaknesses so you can't always say one team is strictly better than the other. Even if all the top teams in D-III could play each other you would probably have a situation were Team A beat Team B, Team B beat Team C and Team C beat Team A. With the exception that Chardon would beat everyone most likely.
It’s funny that you start your post with Aurora at full strength, I would have loved to see Badin at full strength play Chardon ??

It’s funny that you start your post with Aurora at full strength, I would have loved to see Badin at full strength play Chardon ??
True, I think Badin might have beat Chardon, but it is just as possible that they lose to Canfield in a close low scoring affair if they would have played. The closer matched teams are the more uncertainty there is in the potential outcome due to specific match ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.