Division III State Championship: Canfield (13-1) vs. Bloom-Carroll (14-1)

Who wins?

• Canfield by 17+

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Canfield by 8-16

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • Canfield by 1-7

Votes: 40 28.8%
  • Bloom-Carroll by 1-7

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Bloom-Carroll by 8-16

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Bloom-Carroll by 17+

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lowry has thrown for more passing yards with nearly equal touchdowns through the air as his run game. In addition, both backs average over 6.5 yards per carry.
The Cards have more than one play. I think if anyone hones in on his run threat, he creates space in the pocket and hurts them with the long ball.
3 teams in playoffS vs BC were outstanding passing teams. BC gives up a ton of passing yards, but what has saved them is creating turnovers on defense and controlling the clock, keeping the opponents spectacular QBs off the field and limited plays. I watched The chardon game. I predict a similar kind of game. This is just my speculation. I am no expert.

I watched a little more video of both teams, and I have to reaccess my opinion. BC has some really big and althletic linemen, especially number 72. I didn't know Canfield ran the 3/4. I think against a team like this that defense won't work well. They are too big and athletic. The linemen will push Canfield's linebackers around. They also have two blockers in the backfield. Canfield's linebackers are good sized and tough, but when you're 6'1" 210, that does not offer resistance to a guy who's 6'4" 280 and can move. I still think Canfield can win because they have the best player on the field in Lowry, but they are going to be up against it with these guys. I say, 27 - 21 Canfield, but I think this is a toss-up.

I didn’t state ‘jack, nor insinuate they’d handle Canfield’s D-line.

What matters is if they can play well and play to the plan. Obviously they can, at least to some extent. Downfield running team that literally tries not to pass, that’s in the state title game? Must be doing something right. Again, WGAF about North or the kid from it? It’s a bad program. I don’t care how Chardon or, Kenston, or whatever other Region 9 team did against him — no one does! It has nothing to do with the game at hand.
It has everything to do with your original statement. The team who's players win their individual battles to a greater percentage throughout the game has a higher percentage chance to win the game.YOU insinuated that because BC will be tough to beat becasue they have some monster O linemen. I made the insinuation that giant O linemen do not guarantee a win. If a teams football program is a disaster (Eastlake North), there's a good chance they're not winning those battles. And btw, BC is definitely not the first "downfield running team that tries not to pass" to be in a state final. Stop thinking that BC has reinvented the wheel.

It has everything to do with your original statement. The team who's players win their individual battles to a greater percentage throughout the game has a higher percentage chance to win the game.YOU insinuated that because BC will be tough to beat becasue they have some monster O linemen. I made the insinuation that giant O linemen do not guarantee a win. If a teams football program is a disaster (Eastlake North), there's a good chance they're not winning those battles. And btw, BC is definitely not the first "downfield running team that tries not to pass" to be in a state final. Stop thinking that BC has reinvented the wheel.
Hey genius, what's my original statement?

1669696412397.png

1669696347643.png

'Cause I didn't say anything you're claiming on how "BC was going to be tough to beat because they have monster O lineman." Again, who cares about Ryan Baer? No one cares about him, here. He doesn't have diddly to do with this game.

Typical Yappi greenhorn -- have a bad tangential take and double down on the dumbness of it, all while putting words into someone else's mouth. You see one D1 lineman (who played for a dogwater HS program) get beat and think that is somehow relevant to the state championship game being discussed. Maybe you should consider watching more football, and become a student of the game in the process so that you don't churn out more weird dumb takes like you just did. And go sign up for the remedial reading and composition skills class for your next semester at Tri-C while you're at it, too.

Does Canfield start the D line they have been using the last couple of games, or do they go bigger? Canfield's D coordinator appears to prefer smaller quicker guys. They had to switch that up a bit against Holy Name because that RB was a load and was gouging them up the middle. BC doesn't appear to have a back his size, but the BC O Line seems to be light years better. That first BC offensive series is going to tell you a whole lot.

I watched a little more video of both teams, and I have to reaccess my opinion. BC has some really big and althletic linemen, especially number 72. I didn't know Canfield ran the 3/4. I think against a team like this that defense won't work well. They are too big and athletic. The linemen will push Canfield's linebackers around. They also have two blockers in the backfield. Canfield's linebackers are good sized and tough, but when you're 6'1" 210, that does not offer resistance to a guy who's 6'4" 280 and can move. I still think Canfield can win because they have the best player on the field in Lowry, but they are going to be up against it with these guys. I say, 27 - 21 Canfield, but I think this is a toss-up.
This is correct

This team looks interesting. Pretty big boys on the line. The backs are smallish and quick. Tippecanoe made some big mistakes and T.O.'s. BC was able to run free when the backs got into the secondary. That will not happen against Canfield. Lowry is a legit force on both sides of the ball. Those backs will not run by him. Canfield is going to have a huge advantage on the BC defensive line. They run that 3/4 defense, and that will not stop Canfield's running game. No one from BC will touch the Canfield ball carriers until they are five yards down the field, and both Lowry and Inglis can break really long runs when not confronted at the line of scrimmage. BC's offense is something that Canfield will not have seen. Thaat makes things tough, but if Canfield can hold the line of scrimmage, they won't be going anywhere. Canfield's defensive ends are much better than what Tippecanoe had. The key to this game is Canfield being able to get the ball into Lowry's hands. If I was BC's coaching staff, I'm going to try and grind it out and control the ball because if Canfield gets the ball a lot, they will score often. I just don't think BC will be able to control the line of scrimmage against Canfield. I'll take the Cards 27 -13. Good luck to the Cards. Represent the Valley.
In bold above -- Wrong! The main RB is small and quick but the other 2 are huge #11 6'3 225, and #16 6'0 210. Dock will agree since the was at Watty game, #11 is real tough to stop on 3rd and short at that size and his momentum!

Both Region 9 and 10 have NE Ohio teams in them. One is loaded, and one is not. That’s a FACT. 5 Region 9 teams outside of Canfield would have won Region 10. You’re an idiot. I will not post on this matter again as it takes away from the two teams in this State Championship. My apologies to everyone for starting this.

Good luck Canfield!!

I agree with your assessment. Last year 15 seed St.V had Dover on the ropes and probably would of won if they would of kept running the ball in the 4th. This year Canfield is only beating 15 seed New Philly 14-10 in the 4 until they pulled away midway the last 8 minutes of the game. Yes, this year Region 9 lost Dover and St.V but also gained Ursuline.

As for the game, I noticed BC got beat by Harvest Prep early in the year by two scores who eventually got clocked by Ironton in D5 regional finals. Was BC missing players and why did that game play out the way it did?

I agree with your assessment. Last year 15 seed St.V had Dover on the ropes and probably would of won if they would of kept running the ball in the 4th. This year Canfield is only beating 15 seed New Philly 14-10 in the 4 until they pulled away midway the last 8 minutes of the game. Yes, this year Region 9 lost Dover and St.V but also gained Ursuline.

As for the game, I noticed BC got beat by Harvest Prep early in the year by two scores who eventually got clocked by Ironton in D5 regional finals. Was BC missing players and why did that game play out the way it did?
Harvest Prep is LEGIT which means Ironton is MORE LEGIT! I have no idea what occurred in HP vs BC but HP beat Hartley as well.

I can't speak as to what happened in the HP vs. BC game earlier in the season, but Harvest Prep was very athletic and quick. They had one QB who was a slasher, and another that was a passer.

I can't speak as to what happened in the HP vs. BC game earlier in the season, but Harvest Prep was very athletic and quick. They had one QB who was a slasher, and another that was a passer.
HP’s a dramatically different team in their proficiencies and strengths than what BC is used to playing, and it was the first game off the bat for a brand new QB as well as the coach’s first game as the head man. Just an atypically difficult matchup to have (that BC wanted) for week 1. No excuses, Prep definitely deserved to win, but it’s one of those ‘connect the dots’ situations.

BC figured out what works best for them and what doesn’t from that game. Season’s a marathon, not a race. A week 10 rematch, or a general game b/w BC and HP in week 10, could’ve spun a handful of different outcomes.

Truth be told there’s only so much you can glean from week one games compared to the state semis and finals. Last year Carey lost to Hopewell-Loudon, and while I thought Carey was really good that result made a doubter of me in Carey’s ability to beat Coldwater in Canton after seeing what MSML did to H-L the week before in Lima.

Last edited:

BC came into that Prep game with a new QB, new coach and just lost a STELLAR senior class and played below avg football in the first half. The were not mentally ready. The second half they were the better team but could not recover. Prep certainly took that game from them.

A LOT of growth has happened in 15 weeks for those boys and coaches from Carroll, OH. This team is now relentless, disciplined and on a mission!

This is such an intriguing matchup. I personally didn't expect either of these teams to be where they are now. I'm happy for BC and glad they are shining a positive light on their program, but I hope this is the year for the Cardinals. Congratulations to both programs. Go Cards!

In bold above -- Wrong! The main RB is small and quick but the other 2 are huge #11 6'3 225, and #16 6'0 210. Dock will agree since the was at Watty game, #11 is real tough to stop on 3rd and short at that size and his momentum!
Yeah, after I watched more video I saw that kid. This will be a really interesting game. Football is all about matchups, and these two teams match up well against each other. It should be a slugfest.

My amateur opinion of the BC vs Harvest prep gos like this. Harvest prep is 80% pass. BC was not prepared for HP game plan. There were personal issues and position spots being worked out, as to who will start in the secondary. Things were worked out and the 5 dbs now, who go by the “fab five”are all juniors, 4 of which are 1st time starters. Offensively, BC started the season much more balanced throwing the ball. The run game was not a commitment. Offensive turnovers lead to all preps TDs. HP very fast and athletic. After 2nd half is where the run heavy was initiated. By then though the damage was done. HP did not score in the 2nd half. BC could not capitalize in the redzone.

Central Ohio vs. NE Ohio…… Farm Boys vs City Boys. I’m thinking Canfield easy. More battle tested, better tradition, best player on the field. The big stage won’t affect Canfield.

"Suburban Boys" vs "Exurban Boys"! I love that Carroll area. And I think more and more Columbus folks are going to venture a little further on 33 to find homes there.

Anyway, Canfield's schedule wasn't particularly good (IMO). It was probably a little better than B-C's only because Alder was very much mediocre this year. Canfield had to get through a tougher region. So, I'm not sure how more battle-tested Canfield is.

I do think their QB is a big deal. IMO, you can figure this game out within 5 minutes. If Canfield's front 7 is holding up then they're going to win and probably by a lot. If B-C is getting 4-5 yards (or more), then Lowry will have to be spectacular.

"Suburban Boys" vs "Exurban Boys"! I love that Carroll area. And I think more and more Columbus folks are going to venture a little further on 33 to find homes there.

Anyway, Canfield's schedule wasn't particularly good (IMO). It was probably a little better than B-C's only because Alder was very much mediocre this year. Canfield had to get through a tougher region. So, I'm not sure how more battle-tested Canfield is.

I do think their QB is a big deal. IMO, you can figure this game out within 5 minutes. If Canfield's front 7 is holding up then they're going to win and probably by a lot. If B-C is getting 4-5 yards (or more), then Lowry will have to be spectacular.
Teams ranked in the top 150 in the state for B-C:
85 Harvest Prep, 86 Bishop Watterson, 108 Tippecanoe
Teams ranked in the top 150 for Canfield:
75 West Branch, 135 Bellevue, 81 Chaney, 84 Dover, 150 Boardman, 122 Aurora, 37 Ursuline, 25 Chardon, 80 Holy Name
Teams ranked above 225 for Canfield:
420 Howland and 503 East
Teams ranked above 225 for B-C:
Literally everyone else they have played, most of their schedule is teams ranked above 400

Looking at it solely from a numbers perspective Canfield played a much more difficult schedule. B-C's strength of schedule was 91st out of 106 D-III schools, Canfield's was 11th not counting playoff opponents, if you don't factor East into the calculation Canfield's schedule ranks 5th in D-III.
1) Benedictine 91.1
2) Norwalk 89.1
3) Louisville 87.3
4) Ursuline 85.0
5) Canfield 84.3
6) Chardon 81.2

Canfield played a harder schedule, but they didn't play many really good teams in the regular season. WB and Chaney....NAYBE.

It's possible to both (a) play a harder schedule; and (b) not be particularly battle-tested IF the comparison schedule is really weak.

And I said their region was much harder.

"Battle-tested" is a subjective term. Personally, #75 is on the border. For you it's apparently not. Chardon/Ursuline is where they played harder games.

That's all I'm gonna say. I know you defend all things Canfield to the Nth degree.

Canfield played 2 teams 350 or higher: Howland and East
B-C played 10 teams 350 or higher: John Glen, Jonathan Alder, Circleville, Amanda-Clearcreek, Liberty Union, Fairfield Union, Logan Elm, Teays Valley, Hamilton Twp, Beechcroft
B-C's best opponents Harvest Prep and Bishop Watterson are worse than Canfield's 6 best opponents.
Who is Canfield supposed to play? Their schedule already ranks 11th in D-III taking into account East and Howland weighing it down.

Teams ranked in the top 150 in the state for B-C:
85 Harvest Prep, 86 Bishop Watterson, 108 Tippecanoe
Teams ranked in the top 150 for Canfield:
75 West Branch, 135 Bellevue, 81 Chaney, 84 Dover, 150 Boardman, 122 Aurora, 37 Ursuline, 25 Chardon, 80 Holy Name
Teams ranked above 225 for Canfield:
420 Howland and 503 East
Teams ranked above 225 for B-C:
Literally everyone else they have played, most of their schedule is teams ranked above 400

Looking at it solely from a numbers perspective Canfield played a much more difficult schedule. B-C's strength of schedule was 91st out of 106 D-III schools, Canfield's was 11th not counting playoff opponents, if you don't factor East into the calculation Canfield's schedule ranks 5th in D-III.
1) Benedictine 91.1
2) Norwalk 89.1
3) Louisville 87.3
4) Ursuline 85.0
5) Canfield 84.3
6) Chardon 81.2
All those teams are great! Think of it in this perspective. Ali beat foreman, foreman destroyed frazier, frazier beat ali. Sometimes it comes down to match ups. Rankings are great and fun to look at but come on lets enjoy two new teams in the state championship.Both being first in school history. Its going to be a grand finale. The final factor is, will BC be the team to stop the QB?