Division III Region IX, Round 3 #6 Saint Vincent-Saint Mary Fighting Irish (5-2) Vs #3 Canfield Cardinals (7-0)

Who wins this rematch from 2017 week 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simkon

The Cardinals and the Irish do have a bit of history, they last met in 2017 in week 13, where SV-SM narrowly edge the Cardinals 13-10 on a late kick-off return for a TD, on the only kick-off to not go for a touch-back the whole season for Canfield. SV-SM fell the following week to Tri-Valley who lost 19-27 to Trotwood-Madison for the state title. They also met in week 11 in 2015, the Irish won 49-28 and advanced to week 13 where they narrowly lost to Archbishop Hoban 21-24.
The all time series record is 2-0-0 in favor of Saint Vincent-Saint Mary. Despite this Canfield actually leads in most major statistical categories for the series.
Canfield is coming off of a 28-10 victory over the Kenston Bombers, Canfield led narrowly 7-2 at half after fumbling once, committing several costly penalties to negate big plays and 2 interceptions. Kenston got on the board by downing a punt at the one inch line (actually was a Touch-back), Canfield had a errant snap from the shotgun and had to jump on it in their own endzone for the safety. Kenston never seriously threatened after the half, after Canfield quickly got 2 scores to go up 21-2 early in the 3rd, including on an 80 yard pass to Sammarone. Kenston closed out the scoring with 15 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter against the reserves, Kenston converted a 2-PT try to make the final 28-10. Saint Vincent-Saint Mary easily handled West Geauga 48-6 to improve to 5-2. The Irish's 2 defeats were against Division II powers Archbishop Hoban (6-0) and Bendictine (2-4). They had no trouble with D-I Solon (0-4), Maple Heights D-II (5-2), Louisville D-III (2-5), and Springfield D-III (0-7).
Canfield defeated the Howland Tigers (4-3), the Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin Lions (3-3), the New Philadelphia Quakers (6-1), the Dover Tornadoes (4-4), the Chaney Cowboys (3-4), and the Boardman Spartans D-II (4-3). The only close contest was against the Quakers (31-24), the outcome of the other games was never really in doubt.

Canfield’s score isn’t close to what it was. Refs had one of the worst half’s i’ve ever seen. You watch the film you think Canfield wins by 40. SVSM is a great team as is Canfield. Should be a great one in Mahoning Valley!

Canfield’s score isn’t close to what it was. Refs had one of the worst half’s i’ve ever seen. You watch the film you think Canfield wins by 40. SVSM is a great team as is Canfield. Should be a great one in Mahoning Valley!
Kind of brought back memories of the horrendous officiating from 2005 in the playoffs, specifically the atrocious calls in the state championship game against Central Catholic.
I think I noticed a few phantom holding calls against Canfield, a couple pass interference no calls (including one that was called then inexplicably waived off), a pass interference call against Canfield where the DB never even touched the WR the whole play, a ball that was ruled down at the 1 inch line that was actually a TB, a few holding non-calls against the Bombers, an offensive pass interference non-call on the TE. I will say there was one notable call that the Cards got in their favor, and that was the fumble that was negated by an inadvertent early whistle, so they replayed the down. But the majority of the calls went in favor of Kenston.

Kind of brought back memories of the horrendous officiating from 2005 in the playoffs, specifically the atrocious calls in the state championship game against Central Catholic.
I think I noticed a few phantom holding calls against Canfield, a couple pass interference no calls (including one that was called then inexplicably waived off), a pass interference call against Canfield where the DB never even touched the WR the whole play, a ball that was ruled down at the 1 inch line that was actually a TB, a few holding non-calls against the Bombers, an offensive pass interference non-call on the TE. I will say there was one notable call that the Cards got in their favor, and that was the fumble that was negated by an inadvertent early whistle, so they replayed the down. But the majority of the calls went in favor of Kenston.
Just watched the “PI” call on the pic in the 2nd by Lowry and i almost puked. Kids went for the ball all at the same time.

Also watching the game again on TV, Canfield player came up with the ball so the inadvertent whistle actually went against Canfield.

SVSM in hurting. Their top back, Linberger, is out for the season. Their top athlete, Lewis, was out against West Geauga. Their starting QB has been out since the Hoban game. The QB injury may well have resulted in a change for the good. They backed out of the last game of the season against Harding as they were so decimated by injuries I was surprised by how they dominated West Geauga.

Here's the Beacon recap of the West Geauga game-

Should be a really good game. 2017 game was a great battle. I expect the same kind of game. Irish with a ton of respect for Canfield. Should be fun. Hopefully Lewis will be able to play. He’s 50-50.

Last edited:
SVSM in hurting. Their top back, Linberger, is out for the season. Their top athlete, Lewis, was out against West Geauga. Their starting QB has been out since the Hoban game. The QB injury may well have resulted in a change for the good. They backed out of the last game of the season against Harding as they were so decimated by injuries I was surprised by how they dominated West Geauga.

Here's the Beacon recap of the West Geauga game-

I concur with your observation. They are definitely hurting and their problems are coming from within. The last two playoff games have gone well for them because they were playing teams that wouldn’t even be in the playoff bracket if it wasn’t for Covid. If you notice, they don’t have the same warm and fuzzy outcome when they are playing any REAL competition. I expect to see the usual routine for the Irish this week- poor play calling, the players arguing with each other, the coaches only playing their personal favorites and refusing to make adjustments when things go south (if that soph QB is back this week, it will be interception city and they will keep him in until the end of time) and the HC will not accept any accountability for the loss. It’s the same song and dance every year.

I concur with your observation. They are definitely hurting and their problems are coming from within. The last two playoff games have gone well for them because they were playing teams that wouldn’t even be in the playoff bracket if it wasn’t for Covid. If you notice, they don’t have the same warm and fuzzy outcome when they are playing any REAL competition. I expect to see the usual routine for the Irish this week- poor play calling, the players arguing with each other, the coaches only playing their personal favorites and refusing to make adjustments when things go south (if that soph QB is back this week, it will be interception city and they will keep him in until the end of time) and the HC will not accept any accountability for the loss. It’s the same song and dance every year.

Disappointing. That's no way back to prominence in D3. I can tell you that in recent years I have refused to believe the hype. As an alum, I hope it is true but I'll have to see it before I buy in.

You think they can take SVSM that easily? I’d like to think so as well but I believe any SVSM team is a pretty tough out.
I’m afraid that the days of SVSM being a powerhouse are long gone. They don’t have the enrollment that they had in the past. It keeps dropping every year. The players with the most talent in the area are choosing Hoban over SVSM for obvious reasons. The freshman teams at SVSM usually have 25-35 players and by the time those freshman are seniors, they are lucky to have 7 or 8 of them still playing football. There are kids that are leaving to go play elsewhere (Keyes, Portis, Ross, etc) every year and a ton that just quit playing football altogether. There is something wrong when you are losing that many good players at a high rate like that.
SVSM has always relied on their defense and this year is no different. The offense that they are running has been compared to a youth football team’s offense and it’s no threat to any decent opponent.

Last edited:
Interesting read. Sounds like Someone has Ax to Grind. Ok, let’s get an opinion from someone who actually knows HS Football. Canfield is a very disciplined program that runs hard between the tackles led by a very talented soph QB. They don’t make many mistakes and will remain competitive with any opponent. Those who think the Irish are an easy out...think again. The Irish remain the 2nd best private HS program in the Summit Stark County area only behind Hoban. Hoban STVM WJ CVCA in that order. All trending upward. The Irish have overcome injuries. Pelfrey 6-2 225 is a load at QB and should remain the starter. RB 5-11 200 Josh Nickerson is a potential 1000 yard back with speed. The Offemsive line is lead by two large tackles 6-5 280 Peter Schmidt and 6-6 300 Tariq Montgomery. Wr Dalen Burney 6-6 215 (U Akron) is big strong athletic Receiver with good hands. (You will see him holding up another state basketball championship trophy in the Spring of 2021). Additional wideouts Santonio Moss Hadji Jackson, Hodge and Darren Lewis (U Akron) all have speed to burn. On Defense the Irish are stout and physical lead by DE 6-3 255 Macyo Williams (Kent State) and 6-2 280 DT David Robinson. Pelfrey 6-2 220 Quinn Knox lead the linebackers While their entire secondary returns from 2019. The Irish are athletic big and physical with Good Team speed. STVM Has beaten Maple Heights Solon Louisville Springfield and West G. The lost to one of Ohio’s top 3 teams in Hoban. The Irish were up on Benny 21-10 at half before Soph QB Lenz imploded onto 6 second half turnovers. Head Coach Nichols has worked hard and helped raise funds to replace the entire weight room with Rogue equipment. The guy puts in the work. The Development of Discipline and coaching staff is a work In progress. The program is moving forward as the 2023 class went 8-1 out scoring their opponents 315 to 9 as freshman. The cupboard is note bare but their remain Future opportunities to those who put in the work. In conclusion this will be a great match up And Irish will show up. Region 9 is brutal as we approach the final 8. Never think the Irish will not show up versus any D3 opponent statewide.

Last edited:
Interesting read. Sounds like Someone has Ax to Grind. Ok, let’s get an opinion from someone who actually knows HS Football. Canfield is a very disciplined program that runs hard between the tackles led by a very talented soph QB. They don’t make many mistakes and will remain competitive with any opponent. Those who think the Irish are an easy out...think again. The Irish remain the 2nd best private HS program in the Summit Stark County area only behind Hoban. Hoban STVM WJ CVCA in that order. All trending upward. The Irish have overcome injuries. Pelfrey 6-2 225 is a load at QB and should remain the starter. RB 5-11 200 Josh Nickerson is a potential 1000 yard back with speed. The Offemsive line is lead by two large tackles 6-5 280 Peter Schmidt and 6-6 300 Tariq Montgomery. Wr Dalen Burney 6-6 215 (U Akron) is big strong athletic Receiver with good hands. (You will see him holding up another state basketball championship trophy in the Spring of 2021). Additional wideouts Santonio Moss Hadji Jackson, Hodge and Darren Lewis (U Akron) all have speed to burn. On Defense the Irish are stout and physical lead by DE 6-3 255 Macyo Williams (Kent State) and 6-2 280 DT David Robinson. Pelfrey 6-2 220 Quinn Knox lead the linebackers While their entire secondary returns from 2019. The Irish are athletic big and physical with Good Team speed. STVM Has beaten Maple Heights Solon Louisville Springfield and West G. The lost to one of Ohio’s top 3 teams in Hoban. The Irish were up on Benny 21-10 at half before Soph QB Lenz imploded onto 6 second half turnovers. Head Coach Nichols has worked hard and helped raise funds to replace the entire weight room with Rogue equipment. The guy puts in the work. The Development of Discipline and coaching staff is a work In progress. The program is moving forward as the 2023 class went 8-1 out scoring their opponents 315 to 9 as freshman. The cupboard is note bare but their remain Future opportunities to those who put in the work. In conclusion this will be a great match up And Irish will show up. Region 9 is brutal as we approach the final 8. Never think the Irish will not show up versus any D3 opponent statewide.
Agreed with everything you said, being a Canfield fan I think Canfield by anywhere from 1-10, but this will be a great game. Canfield has the potential to beat anyone in the state as they were up 34-10 at the half against the #5 team in the state. Should be a fun one

I think Canfield is the better team and should win. I also thought the same in 2017 and SVSM ended up pulling it out. Seems SVSM just always pulls it out against the mahoning valley publics even when underdogs (Hubbard in 14, Canfield in 17).

I think Canfield is the better team and should win. I also thought the same in 2017 and SVSM ended up pulling it out. Seems SVSM just always pulls it out against the mahoning valley publics even when underdogs (Hubbard in 14, Canfield in 17).
Canfield was easily the better team in 2017 and probably beats SVSM 9 times out of 10 that year. It took a fluke kick-off return for a TD for SVSM to win. Consider that was the only kick-off that didn't go for a touchback the whole season for Canfield. In that game Canfield dominated in all the major statistical categories except for points.
This was another game where there wasn't the best officiating to say the least.

Canfield was easily the better team in 2017 and probably beats SVSM 9 times out of 10 that year. It took a fluke kick-off return for a TD for SVSM to win. Consider that was the only kick-off that didn't go for a touchback the whole season for Canfield. In that game Canfield dominated in all the major statistical categories except for points.
This was another game where there wasn't the best officiating to say the least.
It wasn’t a late kickoff return it was at the start of the 2nd half and wasn’t the only non touchback in that game. Also, StV had more total yards in the game as well. I don’t know what game you watched that year but it must of been a different one than I did.

For this reason I hope Canfield wins by 100. But realistically I like Canfield by a score. I was at the Hubbard game in 14 and Canfield game in 17 in salem. Both valley schools were better but.... The Irish found a way.

Correct me if i’m wrong but I believe Canfields starting defense statistically and realistically has to be one of the best in recent memory. The starting defense has given up
Howland- 0 points
NDCL- 0 points (TD Pass on reserves)
New Phila- 17 points (KOR for TD)
Dover- 3 points (Rush TD on reserves)
Chaney- 19 points all legit
Boardman- 7 points
Kenston- 0 points (Safety and Pass TD, 2 pt on reserves)

That’s 6.5 points per game on the starting defense. Don’t believe you’ll ever lose a game doing that. Not to mention the offense putting up a little over 30 a game I believe. Canfields got 2 D1 talent linebackers and a plethora of good DB’s, only weakness maybe on the entire team is interior DL.

Not to sound critical Stars, but we get a similar review every year. It's a nice program but it's not remotely what it was under Cistone or Boardman. Like I said above, given that we get rave reviews every year, I'll have to see it before I believe it.

SVSM has a great punt and kick off return game. This could be the key to the entire game because these are game changing plays that suck the entire air out of an opponent's sails real fast.

It wasn’t a late kickoff return it was at the start of the 2nd half and wasn’t the only non touchback in that game. Also, StV had more total yards in the game as well. I don’t know what game you watched that year but it must of been a different one than I did.
Paul French 1-yard rushing TD (jet sweep) early 2nd Q (7-0) (Ensuing KO went for TB)
Sam Accordino 32-yard FG as time expired for half (10-0) (no KO)
Russell Cooper III 98 yard kick-off return for TD to open 3rd Q (10-6) (PAT hit upright)
Sam Accordino 43-yard FG attempt unsuccessful to start 4th Q (10-6) (hit cross-bar)
Luke Lindsay 14-yard passing TD to Jalen Ross late 4th Q (10-13)

So apparently both of our memories are a little fuzzy, you were definitely right about the timing of the kick-off return but Canfield only kicked off twice in that game, once after their TD in the 2nd Quarter and once to open the 2nd Half. I went and checked Accordino's game by game stats for 2017 and that KO to open the 2nd half was in fact the only one not to go for a TB the whole year.

Game by game breakdown of TBs for Accordino
(doesn't include any kicks taken by another player which there may have been a few taken by someone else & none of those went for a touchback)
Louisville 7 TBs, Alliance 5 TBs, Chardon 5 TBs, Lakeside 6 TBs, Struthers 5 TBs, Boardman 4 TBs, McKinley 5 TBs, East 4 TBs, Howland 5 TBs, Poland 6 TBs, Aurora 4 TBs, ND-CL 4 TBs, SV-SM 1 TB 1 Non TB
Grand Total 61 Touch Backs on 62 Kick-Offs

Here is the stats from the game as published in the Youngstown paper, SV-SM did have double the passing yards of Canfield and won the turnover battle. Canfield held SV-SM to 54 yards of total offense in the 1st half.
CANFIELD ---- SV-SM
First downs 18 ---- 11
Total Yards 346 ---- 253
Rushes-yards 40-250 ---- 26-56
AVG 6.3 yds ---- 2.1 yds
Passing 96 ---- 197
Comp-Att-Int 7-11-2 ---- 15-21-1
Comp % & AVG 63% 13.7 yds ---- 71% 13.1 yds
Punts 4-156 ---- 3-105
AVG 39 ---- 35
Fumbles-Lost 2-2 ---- 3-1
Penalties-Yards 4-30 ---- 5-50
Total Turnovers 5 ---- 2

SV-SM Individual Stats
RUSHING — SV-SM, Terrance Keyes 14-68
PASSING — SV-SM, Luke Lindsay 15-21-187-1-1
RECEIVING — SV-SM, Russell Cooper III 3-22, Jalen Ross 4-111, Garrett Bishop 4-35, Scott Walter 4-36

So I can definitely see why you would think SV-SM led in total offense since they did have twice as many passing yards as Canfield, but Canfield really dominated on the ground on both sides of the ball. And Canfield turned the ball over twice on fumbles, twice on interceptions, once on a missed FG, and once on downs. Meanwhile SV-SM only lost one fumble and threw only one interception. That kind of explains how Canfield managed to accumulate almost 100 yards more than SV-SM, because they turned the ball over in the red zone several times.

Paul French 1-yard rushing TD (jet sweep) early 2nd Q (7-0) (Ensuing KO went for TB)
Russell Cooper III 98 yard kick-off return for TD to open 3rd Q (10-6) (PAT hit upright)
Sam Accordino 43-yard FG attempt unsuccessful to start 4th Q (10-6) (hit cross-bar)

So apparently both of our memories are a little fuzzy, you were definitely right about the timing of the kick-off return but Canfield only kicked off twice in that game, once after their TD in the 2nd Quarter and once to open the 2nd Half. I went and checked Accordino's game by game stats for 2017 and that KO to open the 2nd half was in fact the only one not to go for a TB the whole year.

(doesn't include any kicks taken by another player which there may have been a few taken by someone else & none of those went for a touchback)
Louisville 7 TBs, Alliance 5 TBs, Chardon 5 TBs, Lakeside 6 TBs, Struthers 5 TBs, Boardman 4 TBs, McKinley 5 TBs, East 4 TBs, Howland 5 TBs, Poland 6 TBs, Aurora 4 TBs, ND-CL 4 TBs, SV-SM 1 TB 1 Non TB

Here is the stats from the game as published in the Youngstown paper, SV-SM did have double the passing yards of Canfield and won the turnover battle. Canfield held SV-SM to 54 yards of total offense in the 1st half.
CANFIELD ---- SV-SM
First downs 18 ---- 11
Total Yards 346 ---- 253
AVG 6.3 yds ---- 2.1 yds
Passing 96 ---- 197
Punts 4-156 ---- 3-105
AVG 39 ---- 35
Total Turnovers 5 ---- 2

SV-SM Individual Stats
RECEIVING — SV-SM, Russell Cooper III 3-22, Jalen Ross 4-111, Garrett Bishop 4-35, Scott Walter 4-36

So I can definitely see why you would think SV-SM led in total offense since they did have twice as many passing yards as Canfield, but Canfield really dominated on the ground on both sides of the ball. And Canfield turned the ball over twice on fumbles, twice on interceptions, once on a missed FG, and once on downs. Meanwhile SV-SM only lost one fumble and threw only one interception. That kind of explains how Canfield managed to accumulate almost 100 yards more than SV-SM, because they turned the ball over in the red zone several times.
Here are the stats to the game. If you think the above stats are correct we definitely saw a different game!

CANFIELD ---- SV-SM
First downs 18 ---- 11
Total Yards 346 ---- 253
AVG 6.3 yds ---- 2.1 yds
Passing 96 ---- 197
Punts 4-156 ---- 3-105
AVG 39 ---- 35
Total Turnovers 5 ---- 2

SV-SM Individual Stats

simkon you are a propagandist. I was at the Chardon game that year and they returned a kick for a TD. Canfield dominated almost every other play