Division II State Semifinal: Toledo Central Catholic (13-0) vs. La Salle (11-2)

Who wins?

• Toledo CC by 15+

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Toledo CC by 8-14

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Toledo CC by 1-7

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • La Salle by 1-7

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • La Salle by 8-14

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • La Salle by 15+

Votes: 22 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You have a reason to believe this is affecting the La Salle - Central Catholic game? You left that out of your post.
unclebob has 51 posts on here and he's one of Massillon's bigges blowhards. I just wanted everyone to know why unclebob considers Massillon better than the three titles on the field that both LS and TCC have. No one can touch Msssillon's facilites. That's why unclebob needs to pound his chest and howl at the moon about his program and their 25 AP/UPI titles. Drive up to Massillon sometime and see what's on the sign as you enter the city limits. Underneath the Welcome to Massillon, it says Home of the Tigers, 25 time state football champions. The whole community believes Massillon has 25 state championships and their 25 trumps the puny 3 that La Salle and Toledo Central Catholic have even if the latter two teams won theirs on the field in head to head competition.

Last edited:
At 8:00 p.m. on November 28, 100 people have voted in this poll, 77 for LS and 23 for TCC. If this game is a tossup like some say, I want to know why so many of the Yappi faithful believe LS will win. Come on now, tell us some reasons why you think LS will win. I want to know.

At 8:00 p.m. on November 28, 100 people have voted in this poll, 77 for LS and 23 for TCC. If this game is a tossup like some say, I want to know why so many of the Yappi faithful believe LS will win. Come on now, tell us some reasons why you think LS will win. I want to know.

LaSalle will Win because they will Score 10 Points in the 2nd Half this week.

I have no horse here but the poll might also have a little to do with NW Ohio not having a very big representation on Yappi

Jake Seibert is a five star Kicker committed to Ohio State. He kicked a 48 yard field goal last week. His kickoffs are unreturnable. Every time LS gets into TCC territroy, they will be a threat to score with Seibert. During the playoffs, he has also started punting. If there's any game where the kicker will have a major influence, it's this game.

Last edited:
Jake Seibert is a five star Kicker committed Ohio State. He kicked a 48 yard field goal last week. His kickoffs are unreturnable. Every time LS gets into TCC territroy, they will be a threat to score with Seibert.

Definitely a threat, but threatening to score and actually scoring are 2 different things! LaSalle will need to score in the 2nd Half to win this game. TCC have a large number of players going Both ways?

eastisbest said:
You have a reason to believe this is affecting the La Salle - Central Catholic game? You left that out of your post.

unclebob ... yada yada ...that La Salle and Toledo Central Catholic have even if the latter two teams won theirs on the field in head to head competition.

and I bet in your head you're thinking you are less autistic or that the Toledo people are automatically going to what, take up a side? You've not told anyone on this board anything they didn't already know. You can comfortably move on now and stay to the topic of the thread.

Fair enough. Back to Jake Seibert. In week three against Mansfield, MA, he caught three touchdown passes of 30 yds, 11 yds, and another 30 yards. Now Mansfield is 10-1, ranked 2nd in MA and still alive in the MA playoffs, so they were not a run of the mill team. Seibert got hurt and didn't play for awhile but is now back and a huge threat at WR. The things about LS receiving is that don't have one guy as their main target. They have five guys in triple digits in receptions.

Last edited:
Jake Seibert is a five star Kicker committed to Ohio State. He kicked a 48 yard field goal last week. His kickoffs are unreturnable. Every time LS gets into TCC territroy, they will be a threat to score with Seibert. During the playoffs, he has also started punting. If there's any game where the kicker will have a major influence, it's this game.
I noticed that in the Harrison game. But it starts at the QB. CCHS is really going to have to find a way to delay his reads. If there's any gap, he finds it. They blitz, that WR will slip right behind them and he sees it. Gap not filled, he sees it and keeps if it's on his lane or gives. The La Salle execution looks like it was bred by seasons worth of worthy competition. CCHS doesn't have that. Hopefully a man advantage here or there will let them get through.

Both look to bring a strong RB and a speedy. Both have QBs that can run. La Salle's struck me as the better read.

We'll see. I think CCHS to win is going to have to do it coming from behind in the second half. They'll start slow as they get used to the competition level.

I noticed that in the Harrison game. But it starts at the QB. CCHS is really going to have to find a way to delay his reads. If there's any gap, he finds it. They blitz, that WR will slip right behind them and he sees it. Gap not filled, he sees it and keeps if it's on his lane or gives. The La Salle execution looks like it was bred by seasons worth of worthy competition. CCHS doesn't have that. Hopefully a man advantage here or there will let them get through.

Both look to bring a strong RB and a speedy. Both have QBs that can run. La Salle's struck me as the better read.

We'll see. I think CCHS to win is going to have to do it coming from behind in the second half. They'll start slow as they get used to the competition level.
Zach Branam is a dual threat QB. He has 1485 yds. passing and 1,095 yds rushing. The St. Xavier coach commented to a reporter after LS beat them that game planning for a QB like Branam is very difficult.

An elite player who plays on both sides of the ball for La Salle is G'Bran Payne, only a sophomore but getting DI offers already. I love to watch this guy run, how he makes people miss, darts between defenders, and accelerates so quickly. He is a handful to bring down. Watch his pick 6 against Harrison here:

Last edited:
I have no horse here but the poll might also have a little to do with NW Ohio not having a very big representation on Yappi
Thats it right there. There are about, maybe, 10 regular posters in the TRAC thread each year and a couple on the NLL thread. Add in a few more from the other conferences and you might have maybe 2 dozen regular posters from NW Ohio.

I think TCC will win because of the trenches. Carter Fouty will have a huge game on the DL. The OL will open up holes for Norrills to dart through. It will take pressure off Vargas, who will have a couple of TDs himself.

I was just looking at some game stats for TCC. This appears to be a very run-heavy team. Do they run the triple option or just barrel through the line?

I was just looking at some game stats for TCC. This appears to be a very run-heavy team. Do they run the triple option or just barrel through the line?
Spread with read option typically. But they can throw the ball when needed. Vargas has a good arm and aim. They haven't had a good throwing QB since 2014.

If CCHS finds they cannot "barrel through the line," without La Salle expending extra man-power, they're cooked. La Salle will have the speed to contain the ends. They have good cover and as you said Vargas has "aim." He's not an accomplished passer and his lanes are going to be much narrower than they have been against any team he's played to date. He doesn't have the touch to accomplish narrow margin passes from behind center. He might be able to open up the sightlines running laterially but I'm unclear if he has the accuracy on the run. If his receivers can get separation, something I'm kind of doubting, his passing will suffice.

His strength is he's hard to see. If he can read the smaller cracks he needs, he does have acceleration and speed to get a few in the secondary and pick up a few, maybe even break a longer one. If he's relying on the play call to make the run, CCHS is doomed. He has to be able to read the advantage to know whether to keep or let go. If there is no advantage, give it to the bigger back and hope for a push. When you don't have an advantage on the line, the patience shown by the Central RBs can be a disadavantage. Get in their with your strength and maybe create the opening.

On defense, they have to be able to pressure that QB without expending extra man-power. His decisions are that quick, either he or the ball will be headed towards the holes. So, expend a lead early and try to get a few hits on the QB, wear him down and come-back second half or have the LBs stay in lane and play the secondary deep?

Should be a fun test of strengths, weaknesses and wills. Be interesting to see what Coach Dempsey has planned.

Last edited:

You're not going to beat TCC by kicking field goals.

LaSalle has a great team. I’m shocked they lost to WW. Didn’t get to see that game but assuming it had to be the Miyan show. WW has a few big time athletes mixed with Miyan who I believe is the best RB in the state. Shame they didn’t make it. Had Lasalle not gotten beat by WW, I’d feel really confident in them tonight. But they’re beatable, they’re not invincible. Anything can happen

LaSalle has a great team. I’m shocked they lost to WW. Didn’t get to see that game but assuming it had to be the Miyan show. WW has a few big time athletes mixed with Miyan who I believe is the best RB in the state. Shame they didn’t make it. Had Lasalle not gotten beat by WW, I’d feel really confident in them tonight. But they’re beatable, they’re not invincible. Anything can happen
Lasalles starting running back Gi’bran Payne was out against Winton woods and no doubt I think he would’ve been a game changer in that game but Lasalle still put up 21 and he’s pretty explosive on Defense too and can be all over the field. If he played that game I bet LaSalle wins

What other dude said, with the best player back they have looked unstoppable. LS had the lead the whole game turned it over at the 5 yard line with 20 seconds left. That game really could have gone either way. Winton Woods got the best of em, but I have no doubt LS would beat them 70-80% of the time even without Gi'Bran. With him it's going to take a real strong defensive effort to stop this offense.