Division II State Championship: Massillon Washington (14-0) vs. La Salle (12-2)

Who wins?

• Massillon by 15+

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • Massillon by 8-14

Votes: 50 16.9%
  • Massillon by 1-7

Votes: 80 27.0%
  • La Salle by 1-7

Votes: 78 26.4%
  • La Salle by 8-14

Votes: 46 15.5%
  • La Salle by 15+

Votes: 22 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
‘Definitely a sense of pride’: Massillon’s Moore happy to see La Salle’s sustained success

Talented kickers play key role in Massillon-La Salle title tilt
https://fridaynightohio.com/news/16...ay-key-role-in-Massillon-la-salle-title-tilt/

Really! Mansfield high school in MA is a public school in Boston who flew to La Salle to play them this year. Boston is around 868 mile away. In no way will La Salle be intiminated by resource rich schools like Massillon. Btw Mansfield high is playing this weekend for a Massachusetts state championship at Gillette stadium, home of the Patriots. La Salle beat them 38-16, gave them their only loss of the year.
Played football in college with a kid from Massachusetts. He was all state in high school. Kid was TERRIBLE. Massachusetts football is laughable, not sure I'd prop them up as much as you are.

LS's QB/RB run combo will give Massillon plenty of fits. Although the score of the Avon game didn't reflect it, they struggled heavily against the zone read where the QB could pull it and run. If the Tigers can force LS to pass, they'll be in a much better position. BUT that brings me to my next point. Massillon's secondary scares me. Their one corner can't be over 5ft 5, although he's tough, just so so small. And their #10 is definitely their weak spot. Call me crazy, but if Keyes is healthy (and allowed to play??) I would put him in the secondary either at corner or the other safety alongside #2. Put Lamp at the other corner and have all hands on deck. Best athletes on the field at all times. Side note, is Keyes playing? Just curious, although Zion is more than capable and even that #26 is a brute. Massillon will have to get their passing game back on track. Has been almost non existent last few weeks. That's probably the most frustrating part of their offense. It's either throw a tag screen, bomb or nothing. No intermediate routes. Ballard is a stud, but SOFT. Hate his body language, walks back to the huddle after an incompletion, acts hurt a ton too. Lamp is better after the catch. This game, like most, will be won in the trenches. Good luck to both teams. I've been really impressed with some of the LS posters. We can have a beer together anytime.

LS's QB/RB run combo will give Massillon plenty of fits. Although the score of the Avon game didn't reflect it, they struggled heavily against the zone read where the QB could pull it and run. If the Tigers can force LS to pass, they'll be in a much better position. BUT that brings me to my next point. Massillon's secondary scares me. Their one corner can't be over 5ft 5, although he's tough, just so so small. And their #10 is definitely their weak spot. Call me crazy, but if Keyes is healthy (and allowed to play??) I would put him in the secondary either at corner or the other safety alongside #2. Put Lamp at the other corner and have all hands on deck. Best athletes on the field at all times. Side note, is Keyes playing? Just curious, although Zion is more than capable and even that #26 is a brute. Massillon will have to get their passing game back on track. Has been almost non existent last few weeks. That's probably the most frustrating part of their offense. It's either throw a tag screen, bomb or nothing. No intermediate routes. Ballard is a stud, but SOFT. Hate his body language, walks back to the huddle after an incompletion, acts hurt a ton too. Lamp is better after the catch. This game, like most, will be won in the trenches. Good luck to both teams. I've been really impressed with some of the LS posters. We can have a beer together anytime.

I would not call what Avon did last week zone read. Yeah they ran some zone read but what they did 70% of the time was wildcat student body right or left. The QB, I mean athlete ran down the line of scrimmage with an extra blocker until he got a seem and cut up into the seem. Considering their situation it was a good call. There was a big difference in their effectiveness between the first and second half.

Someone raised the fact the LS was 4-5 last year. Well, Nate went 4-6 at La Salle in 2013 the year before he won state in 2014. Hey guys this is why LS wins this year because like Moore at LS in 2013 the win total was four and the next year was a state title. History always repeats itself

I got to thinking, wouldn't it have been better/smarter for the OHSAA to put this game on Friday night this year, and the PC vs. Elder on Thursday night.
1. The Elder vs. PC game because of the distance for both of them, isn't going to draw huge numbers. Plus the average "No dog in the fight" fan isn't going to go to this game on a Thursday night I wouldn't think.
2. That would allow the Massillon vs LaSalle game to draw, I think, even bigger numbers than what they will get now. I believe thousands more would come to see that game on Friday. The "no dog in the fight' fans would come out in droves on Friday vs. Thursday.
3. Also OHSAA could look good in a way by not always putting D2 on Thursday, and D1 on Friday. They could at least say they mixed it up some. But numbers wise, I truly believe the numbers soar If Massillon-LaSalle is on Friday. (I know there will be a huge crowd Thursday, but it could be a sellout on Friday.

Just because we got your coach and your best player, three years ago

I don’t think anyone was salty at Nate for taking that crazy amount of money to coach high school football. Most were happy for him at the time.

Best player? As I recall, Jarell White was still with the Lancers in 2016 when he won a third straight state title and second straight since Nate left.

I got to thinking, wouldn't it have been better/smarter for the OHSAA to put this game on Friday night this year, and the PC vs. Elder on Thursday night.
1. The Elder vs. PC game because of the distance for both of them, isn't going to draw huge numbers. Plus the average "No dog in the fight" fan isn't going to go to this game on a Thursday night I wouldn't think.
2. That would allow the Massillon vs LaSalle game to draw, I think, even bigger numbers than what they will get now. I believe thousands more would come to see that game on Friday. The "no dog in the fight' fans would come out in droves on Friday vs. Thursday.
3. Also OHSAA could look good in a way by not always putting D2 on Thursday, and D1 on Friday. They could at least say they mixed it up some. But numbers wise, I truly believe the numbers soar If Massillon-LaSalle is on Friday. (I know there will be a huge crowd Thursday, but it could be a sellout on Friday.
Makes sense, but hard to bring a Columbus & Cincy school up on a short week. Plus, they get more $ for TV ratings & streaming of the games than the actual ticket sales. That makes Thursday the "prime" spot (believe it or not, some folks DON'T plan their Fridays around HS football. Crazy, right?). That means if you put Massillon on Thursday you maximize the ticket gate, tv audience & stream. After they maximize profits on Thursday, the rest of the weekend is just putting on the games.

Think back to that Joe Burrow Plains team vs Toledo CC game in 2014. Was a D3 game, but it had a future OSU QB playing in Ohio Stadium. That was must see TV.

Someone raised the fact the LS was 4-5 last year. Well, Nate went 4-6 at La Salle in 2013 the year before he won state in 2014. Hey guys this is why LS wins this year because like Moore at LS in 2013 the win total was four and the next year was a state title. History always repeats itself
? roar news flash ! ??? yup coach Moore is 14-0 again ... see ya tomorrow!!! can’t wait !! Go tigers .......t i g ??

When would the victory celebration parade be through the streets of Massillon. I'm driving a 2019 new car and 2019 would signal the end of the paper tigers name for Massillon. I want to put my car in the parade to represent Moore's first state title won at La Salle in 2014. Let's be honest here. Moore's state title win at La Salle in 20014 is what got him the job at Massillon not the fact that he got D6 Minster in the playoffs when he was there before La Salle.

Last edited:

Elder should bring a decent crowd on Friday night. There are 2 fan buses that have sold out and they are now getting a bus for students also. Spectrum will hurt the attendance, but I'm thinking about 4,000 from Elder should make the 4 hour trip north.

When would the victory celebration parade be through the streets of Massillon. I'm driving a 2019 new car and 2019 would signal the end of the paper tigers name for Massillon. I want to put my car in the parade to represent Moore's first state title won at La Salle in 2014. Let's be honest here. Moore's state title win at La Salle in 20014 is what got him the job at Massillon not the fact that he got D6 Minster in the playoffs when he was there before La Salle.
Win or lose we meet the team bus after the game downtown...it's less parade more mosh pit ...high 5 if we've won....golf claps if we lost..

Elder should bring a decent crowd on Friday night. There are 2 fan buses that have sold out and they are now getting a bus for students also. Spectrum will hurt the attendance, but I'm thinking about 4,000 from Elder should make the 4 hour trip north.
Hopefully most take in both games.....

Status
Not open for further replies.