Division II State Championship: Massillon Washington (14-0) vs. La Salle (12-2)

Who wins?

• Massillon by 15+

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • Massillon by 8-14

Votes: 50 16.9%
  • Massillon by 1-7

Votes: 80 27.0%
  • La Salle by 1-7

Votes: 78 26.4%
  • La Salle by 8-14

Votes: 46 15.5%
  • La Salle by 15+

Votes: 22 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
From an outsider (from Northern Ky) with zero connection to either school. Is it me or is the recent success (last 6 seasons) due strictly to an uptick in talent level? The move of both teams to DII? or a little of both. While Washington has a tons of wins and a lot of playoff wins (and championship appearances), and LaSalle has 3 titles and going for 4 in a couple days, It seems neither would be in the final if not for the drop.

PS my parents took my son to the HOF two summers ago (he was 9), I told my dad to drive over to Massillon and drive by the stadium. Not only did they drive by, the Tigers were practicing and allowed my parents and son to sit in the stands and watch for a little. My son still talks about how cool the stadium is.

I get the feeling the city of Massillon is overlooking Lasalle. I've seen Lasalle in person against Elder. They have a very good defense and some playmakers on offense. I still haven't seen any video on Washington yet, but Lasalle is as good as any team in Ohio.
Couldn't agree more. Been saying it all week. And texting my friends up there to by very, VERY careful. This is going to be a donnybrook.

From an outsider (from Northern Ky) with zero connection to either school. Is it me or is the recent success (last 6 seasons) due strictly to an uptick in talent level? The move of both teams to DII? or a little of both. While Washington has a tons of wins and a lot of playoff wins (and championship appearances), and LaSalle has 3 titles and going for 4 in a couple days, It seems neither would be in the final if not for the drop.

PS my parents took my son to the HOF two summers ago (he was 9), I told my dad to drive over to Massillon and drive by the stadium. Not only did they drive by, the Tigers were practicing and allowed my parents and son to sit in the stands and watch for a little. My son still talks about how cool the stadium is.
For LaSalle, the combination of Nate Moore, Cupps, Nick Watson, and Jeremy Larkin was the perfect storm to create a great team. Since then LS has gotten some great coaches and an uptick in talent, why that is I can not give an exact reason. I don't think the move to D2 played a role initially but it probably does now with the success.

Depends on the definition of success. La Salle has been a different program since 2014 and on par with any DI program in the state. Would they have three state titles? Likely not. But nobody will convince me they were not the best team in the state in 2014 regardless of division and the St. X loss notwithstanding.

The reasons? Largely this:

For LaSalle, the combination of Nate Moore, Cupps, Nick Watson, and Jeremy Larkin was the perfect storm to create a great team. Since then LS has gotten some great coaches and an uptick in talent, why that is I can not give an exact reason.

Jordan Thompson probably had as much if not more to do with the culture change at La Salle than did Moore and Cupps. I'm not quite sure where Cupps fits in, actually. Larkin and Watson for sure and, of course, Luke Doerger (50 games!). But Thompson was the line of demarcation.

Couldn't agree more. Been saying it all week. And texting my friends up there to by very, VERY careful. This is going to be a donnybrook.
Best team we have played since Hoban last year. This year's LaSalle last year's Hoban I'd buy that ticket.

It will be a snot knocker ..buckle up...

We block and tackle again Egret... It's awesome.....

Depends on the definition of success. La Salle has been a different program since 2014 and on par with any DI program in the state. Would they have three state titles? Likely not. But nobody will convince me they were not the best team in the state in 2014 regardless of division and the St. X loss notwithstanding.

Jordan Thompson probably had as much if not more to do with the culture change at La Salle than did Moore and Cupps. I'm not quite sure where Cupps fits in, actually. Larkin and Watson for sure and, of course, Luke Doerger (50 games!). But Thompson was the line of demarcation.
I don't know Thompson's story I am sure others up here would like to know why he is significant in your history.

Good point on Jordan Thompson. Brought up Cupps because that was the best Lancer D in history.

Hasn't the schedule been discussed at great lengths?
Yes at length. I’m not really an x and o guy. I know Hoban pretty much took away both the run and pass against us. Was there a specific coverage or tactic or was it just their talent.

I don't know Thompson's story I am sure others up here would like to know why he is significant in your history.

Thompson was the first player in the current LS to Northwestern pipeline and was one of, if not the best defensive linemen in the state his junior and senior years. Several current and former La Salle coaches refer to him as the best natural leader they've ever seen or coached. The 2014 team assumed his personality and professionalism and simply went out and destroyed teams. That persona lasted in a new culture for the program.

There are several little coffee clubs that meet there as well..

Thompson was the first player in the current LS to Northwestern pipeline and was one of, if not the best defensive linemen in the state his junior and senior years. Several current and former La Salle coaches refer to him as the best natural leader they've ever seen or coached. The 2014 team assumed his personality and professionalism and simply went out and destroyed teams. That persona lasted in a new culture for the program.
Thank you for that.

It is awesome when your most talented kids are the hardest workers....

Wrong, St Eds:
Shaun Crawford - Notre Dame
David Dowell - Michigan State
Andrew Dowell - Michigan State
Cole Gest - Indiana
Tony Butler - Nebraska
Brett Kean - South Florida (transferred to Charlotte)
Troy Dipre - Kent State (transferred)
Alex Stump - Ohio State (transferred to Vanderbilt)
Troy Henderson - Syracuse
Carl Jones - Syracuse
Dan Petticord - Princeton
Kyle Hegedus - YSU
Ben Gauthier - Dayton

No reasonable person is overlooking the other team. On paper, this should be perhaps the best game of the weekend.

I get the feeling the city of Massillon is overlooking Lasalle. I've seen Lasalle in person against Elder. They have a very good defense and some playmakers on offense. I still haven't seen any video on Washington yet, but Lasalle is as good as any team in Ohio.
Even though I havent seen any video of Massillon yet, lasalle is as good as any team in ohio. Its posts like this.........

Status
Not open for further replies.