Division I State Semifinal: Elder (11-2) vs. Springfield (12-1)

Who wins?

• Elder by 15+

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Elder by 8-14

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • Elder by 1-7

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Springfield by 8-14

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Springfield by 14+

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh yeah. Were you there? What a game, right? Findlay went up 14-0, then it was 27-14 Elder, before Findlay scored 17 unsanswered to go up 31-27 before Glathaar punched it in early in the 4th. Then they rode him the entire 4th quarter to ice it. That was the state title game right there-either team would have beat Warren Harding that year. Findlay actually beat Springfield that year in the regional final to play Elder-what a team Springfield had-athletes everywhere!

As for this year, I've seen both teams and man it's gonna be a good game. The Springfield WR is the real deal and will be tough for Elder to stick with all night-he's going to get his. Their running back is a load as well, but I think Elder has the better overall squad and will win late in the game with special teams playing a big factor.

Elder's QB interviewed after the game. The interviewer talks about the last drive almost 7 minutes.

Not saying anyone is, but Elder nor the fans can look past this game. This semi final game has historically been one that has tripped up, not only Elder, but other D1 teams in the past.

I'm sure Elder is focused. They are due to put 4 quarters together on offense. The defense has played well the last 6-7 games. Springfield brings new challenges but Elder also brings new challenges for them. I'm sure they haven't seen a complex offense like they will in Elder all year.

Good luck to both teams.

Who was the Elder guy that threw a fit because the seats weren't wiped clean at a playoff venue? It was around 15 years ago. Ruppdog maybe?

Go Elder!
Was he an Elder fan? For some reason, I thought he was a McKinley fan.

Not saying anyone is, but Elder nor the fans can look past this game. This semi final game has historically been one that has tripped up, not only Elder, but other D1 teams in the past.

I'm sure Elder is focused. They are due to put 4 quarters together on offense. The defense has played well the last 6-7 games. Springfield brings new challenges but Elder also brings new challenges for them. I'm sure they haven't seen a complex offense like they will in Elder all year.

Good luck to both teams.

Isn't Elder 3-1 in state semi-finals? Their lone loss being against Hilliard Davidson in 2009?

As an elder fan I wish the other elder fans would stop crying about traveling. It’s An embarrassing look for the school. Either travel and go to the game or stay home. I wish we’d actually talk more about the game rather than how much of an inconvenience it is for people to travel on a day that a majority of us are off work anyways.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. 99.9999% of Elder fans are more excited about them still playing vs the location of the game.

There is no way Elder is overlooking anyone even though most people are labeling Elder as the favorite. Elder is a very good team, but they aren't so dominate that they can't get beat by Springfield. Elder has to show up and play well. Very few teams in Ohio history have been able to show up in a state final 4, play bad, and still win.

I'm predicting 42-28 Elder

Isn't Elder 3-1 in state semi-finals? Their lone loss being against Hilliard Davidson in 2009?

Yeah, I didn't mean they always lose this game, just wanted to point out that they have lost at this point before, as have some other Region 4 champs.

And yes, as previously mentioned, they lost to Lima Sr in 1996.

Yeah, I didn't mean they always lose this game, just wanted to point out that they have lost at this point before, as have some other Region 4 champs.

Makes sense. I don't see Doug letting the boys overlook anyone at this point. It doesn't matter who wins between PC and Mentor if they don't take care of business against Springfield.

I'll be curious to see what kind of pressure they can put on Luebee. There were a couple times last week that Colerain got pressure on him and he forced some very questionable throws. 2 that were picked off and 2 more that easily could have been. Elder has to limit turnovers, they have allowed 2 defensive TD in the last 2 weeks. Against St. X it cost them the lead and against Colerain it cost them a chance to go up 14-0 and possibly run away with the game.

Not sure why everyone is still talking about location. If the game is in Ohio, I will be setting in the stands. I go to see Elder and the grandson play, not the stadium. Play on! I will still still say E-42 S-28. Just a feeling!

That was a close game an Sr went on to win state if I remember correctly.

I remember the weather being pretty crappy. It certainly wasn't a game I expected Elder to lose. I thought that Elder team would bring Elder their 1st title.

I remember the game well. Weather was great.

Then maybe I remember a different game. I do know as I was heading home, we had a flat tire and we pulled under an overpass because it was raining so hard. Maybe the weather for the game was fine, but I remember differently coming home. I remember thinking the night couldn't get any worse.

Then maybe I remember a different game. I do know as I was heading home, we had a flat tire and we pulled under an overpass because it was raining so hard. Maybe the weather for the game was fine, but I remember differently coming home. I remember thinking the night couldn't get any worse.
Thinking back to Elder playoff losses since 1991 and prior to the first state championship I can’t think of any when it rained. The opening round loss by the 91 team to Centerville at Galbraith was the coldest I ever remember being in my life (I was 7 at the time.) Next playoff loss was to Colerain in 95. That day was windy. No rain in the losses to Lima Senior, Wayne in 99, Colerain in 00 or St. X in 01.

You may be remembering the Friday night portion of the 1996 regular season game against Moeller. Torrential rain that night and the game had to be postponed. Elder ended up winning the game after it resumed on Saturday night.

Thinking back to Elder playoff losses since 1991 and prior to the first state championship I can’t think of any when it rained. The opening round loss by the 91 team to Centerville at Galbraith was the coldest I ever remember being in my life (I was 7 at the time.) Next playoff loss was to Colerain in 95. That day was windy. No rain in the losses to Lima Senior, Wayne in 99, Colerain in 00 or St. X in 01.

You may be remembering the Friday night portion of the 1996 regular season game against Moeller. Torrential rain that night and the game had to be postponed. Elder ended up winning the game after it resumed on Saturday night.

Possibly. I'm starting to remember a bit more. I think that was also the year they lost to Toledo St. Johns early in the year, in Toledo. Maybe it was coming back on that night. I do know it was raining hard, on the way home from a game and we stopped under an overpass. Maybe it was that game.

When R4 teams come in as the heavy favorite it hasn't ended well. Some good Colerain teams have lost in this round:

One of Elder's best teams of the last 20 years lost this round - 2009.

Columbus, and I know Springfield isn't Columbus, but this round isn't the pushover they've been viewed as in the past.

Hoping to see a lot of purple in the stands on Friday. The boys in purple have earned and deserve your support. If you are trying to decide between watching it on TV or going to the game, do them a favor and go to the stadium! They can't hear you through their TV's even though some of you scream loud enough that you think they do. This is a once and a lifetime opportunity for many of these kids and for a lot of them it could be their final game or 2 of their football days. Nothing more special than playing in front of a loud packed house and seeing a sea of purple cheering you on!

Get to Piqua, get loud & let's get a W!

In my opinion, Mo Douglas's Springfield team is being underestimated and I'll leave it at that for now. Should be a great game.

I went to Springfield vs Fairfield in week 1. When i watched Springfield I saw a team very capable of winning it all if they improved each week like the great teams do. You could see the potential of them even though they didnt win. If they play excellent pass defense they will give themselves a chance. Elder just has a special passing attack this year and that is so hard to defend. This has all the signals to me of a close game, a great game. Two great programs who got better all season and are peaking. Both well coached and have really good players. I do think both defenses are going to really struggle. Kind of like that Elder Sycamore game a while back. I see a shootout, close game.

I think Springfield is very similar to Winton Woods, with a better front seven. I don't think anyone is under-estimating them.

I think Springfield is very similar to Winton Woods, with a better front seven. I don't think anyone is under-estimating them.

Some Elder fans on here it sounds like might be under estimating Springfield a little. We all know that the Elder Staff and Players are not and that’s what matters!

Go Panthers!!!