Division I State Semifinal: Elder (11-2) vs. Springfield (12-1)

Who wins?

• Elder by 15+

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Elder by 8-14

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • Elder by 1-7

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Springfield by 8-14

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Springfield by 14+

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How is Springfields offense? They seemed to have put up decent numbers in the regular season but I don’t know much about the level of their competition. I know they also only put up 7 last week. Was DC defense that good? Did they play sloppy, miss opportunities? Are they fast? Athletic? Etc...
Springfield plays in the GWOC National Conference where they were out right champions. They boast a handful of D1 prospects with Larry Stephens a Toledo commit at WR who is 1st team SWD. There best offensive weapon is RB Jeff Toliver who is an absolute game breaker along with their sophomore QB who has eclipsed the 2K passing mark this season. They have a lot of athletes who are have been coached up and plays in a good scheme defensively only giving up 10pts per game. Offensively they can pass and run the ball exceptionally well, Coffman did a good job holding them to 7 points but you don't get this far without your opponent being able to take away something. I don't know much about this current Elder team but obviously they are traditionally good. The Cats know what they are up against and well be prepared to play.

The week prior for the 2002 Region 4 final, Elder pre-sold 15,000 tickets which alone exceeded the 11,000 seat capacity of Welcome Stadium. Elder ended up out drawing Findlay at Crew Stadium and won the game. A similar thing happened the following year when Elder played Dublin Scioto. OHSAA had to move the game from Welcome to Crew to accommodate all the fans who wanted to attend.

To this day, and I've seen hundreds of high school football games, that's the best one I've ever seen. Slobberknocker. Back and forth, back and forth til Elder grabbed the lead early in the 4th quarter and rode Glatthar down the field for the final 7 minutes of the game to end it.

Last edited:
I would think the OSHAA would like to avoid giving a lower seeded team the advantage of playing half as far away and also getting to play at the same location back to back weeks. There won't be any traffic on Friday so that doesn't matter. Piqua is a great venue, but it's a shame Centerville/Springboro aren't options.
Seeding doesn't matter at this point. There are 4 teams left in D1. I was thinking Mason for the site, but if you're going middle of the two then Middletown/Miamisburg would have been it.

To this day, and I've seen hundreds of high school football games, that's the best one I've ever seen. Slobberknocker. Back and forth, back and forth til Elder grabbed the lead early in the 4th quarter and rode Glatthar down the field for the final 7 minutes of the game to end it.
Gotta be talking the Findlay game right? The following year Elder clobbered Scioto.

That's such a lazy, cheap cop out and of course it's the one the OHSAA gives year after year. Are we really to believe the staff at the OHSAA is so overworked they can't send out an email to the ADs/principals of schools like Springboro, Miamisburg, Centerville, or Middletown to ask if they're willing to host? The OHSAA had a week's notice that a school from western Hamilton County was going to win Region 4. They didn't know whether a Dayton area school or a Columbus area school would win Region 2 so they could have had two contingency plans.

I could be totally wrong. Maybe the OHSAA works the phones and computers weeks ahead of time to try to line up sites that will best accommodate potential future matchups, but since the same sites are chosen year after year it certainly doesn't seem the way. All the OHSAA has to do is communicate the information about which schools asked the OHSAA and which schools the OHSAA contacted.

No one is saying the OHSAA can or should try to force schools to host games.

If Elder wins, we will cease to hear a word about this location. If Elder loses, it will be the excuse.

Piqua's huge stadium is stunning. It looks brand new (although is not), and has great concessions and easy access off I-75, just outside Dayton city. Just went there for a band contest in October. It even has cool Indian logos, which I'm sure are politically incorrect like everything else.

To the fans going to this game.. mostly the Elder fans because Springfield has played here before i'll offer a few tips to those coming to Piqua.

The address of the school is: 1 Indian Trail Piqua, Ohio 45356 the stadium is at the school.

If you are planning on eating before the game there are a fast foot joints and a few "sit down" places in the area.. for these use St.Rt36 (exit 82) and then you can get to the stadium quickly from there.

If you are not planning on eating before the game or you're going to eat at the stadium then I would recommend using 25a (exit 83) you will avoid most of the traffic from the other exit. Using this exit turn right (east) and get into the left lane because the right lane turns into a development shortly after the exit. Go to the light and turn right (south) where then you can make a left into the school drive.

If you use the front parking lots, each side has their own entrance and ticket booths. If you park to the south of the stadium in the UVCC parking lot we have a paved walkway from the parking lot to the stadium and there is gate to the South of the stadium that you can get to either side of the stadium.

Each side has a concession and restrooms to keep lines a little smaller but with as many people that will be there i'm sure the wait will still be bad.

If anyone has any questions about the facility or the surrounding area I'll do my best to answer as quickly as I can.

Springfield plays in the GWOC National Conference where they were out right champions. They boast a handful of D1 prospects with Larry Stephens a Toledo commit at WR who is 1st team SWD. There best offensive weapon is RB Jeff Toliver who is an absolute game breaker along with their sophomore QB who has eclipsed the 2K passing mark this season. They have a lot of athletes who are have been coached up and plays in a good scheme defensively only giving up 10pts per game. Offensively they can pass and run the ball exceptionally well, Coffman did a good job holding them to 7 points but you don't get this far without your opponent being able to take away something. I don't know much about this current Elder team but obviously they are traditionally good. The Cats know what they are up against and well be prepared to play.

Great insight, thank you very much!

Elder has tremendous talent on offense especially up front. They have a line that consist of an OSU commit and a Louisville commit. Royer (TE) is heading to OSU as well and is about as talented as any WR/TE I have seen play HS football in a long time. Tremendous hands and has the ability to grab the ball no matter if it is over or under thrown. Luebee (QB) is extremly explosive. Give him a gap of open space and you may have an entire team of defenders chasing him. Ramsey is a very good athlete that can add some dynamic to the offense as well as a couple other WR that have good hands.

The defense has showed up and did a wonderful job this post season. They allowed 2 TD's a piece to St. X and Colerain. They allowed a big pass against St. X and a big run against Colerain. They are susceptible to giving up a big/busted play especially against speed. The other TD they allowed against Colerain was on 4th and 7 on a really good throw by the QB and a WR who got behind the defender.

Ramsey (coach) has been here before, he won't allow the Panthers to look past Springfield. He is one of the great high school football coaches and always has his kids prepared. The Panthers are hungry for another shot at a state championship and hopefully after the game come Friday, they will get that shot.

I've watched a couple of Springfield's games from this year on YouTube. Obviously a talented team to get to the state semi-finals. Having said that, based on what I saw on tape, their record and level of competition played, I think they're going to struggle to keep up with Elder's offensive scheme in this game. Just too many weapons. I see a higher scoring game with Elder on top - something like E 31 - S 21.

To the fans going to this game.. mostly the Elder fans because Springfield has played here before i'll offer a few tips to those coming to Piqua.

The address of the school is: 1 Indian Trail Piqua, Ohio 45356 the stadium is at the school.

If you are planning on eating before the game there are a fast foot joints and a few "sit down" places in the area.. for these use St.Rt36 (exit 82) and then you can get to the stadium quickly from there.

If you are not planning on eating before the game or you're going to eat at the stadium then I would recommend using 25a (exit 83) you will avoid most of the traffic from the other exit. Using this exit turn right (east) and get into the left lane because the right lane turns into a development shortly after the exit. Go to the light and turn right (south) where then you can make a left into the school drive.

If you use the front parking lots, each side has their own entrance and ticket booths. If you park to the south of the stadium in the UVCC parking lot we have a paved walkway from the parking lot to the stadium and there is gate to the South of the stadium that you can get to either side of the stadium.

Each side has a concession and restrooms to keep lines a little smaller but with as many people that will be there i'm sure the wait will still be bad.

If anyone has any questions about the facility or the surrounding area I'll do my best to answer as quickly as I can.
Thank you for sharing! I am looking forward to travelling up from Cincinnati to see Piqua for the first time. A group of us is hoping to tailgate, any recommendation for a good location? Is that sort of thing condoned in the stadium parking lot(s)?

I have never been to Piqua but from the google images it looks like a fairly attractive stadium. Looks like both sides stretch the length of the field and am I correct on saying they are not open seats (meaning open by your feet). Again, I am thrilled to be traveling, I love a mini road trip (if you can even call it that) for what should be a great game!

I'll go with:

Elder 28
Springfield 14
I have seen both teams play, and this score looks about right. The most interesting part of this game will be whether Elder can run the ball against Springfield defense which has been great against the run.

If Elder wins, we will cease to hear a word about this location. If Elder loses, it will be the excuse.

Piqua's huge stadium is stunning. It looks brand new (although is not), and has great concessions and easy access off I-75, just outside Dayton city. Just went there for a band contest in October. It even has cool Indian logos, which I'm sure are politically incorrect like everything else.

It's not that far.....it won't be an excuse for either school, win or lose.

And yes, it's an excellent facility.

I’m in total shock that they r gonna make elder fans drive that far. Anyway. I’m picking elder win. But rooting for Springfield

I have never been to Piqua but from the google images it looks like a fairly attractive stadium. Looks like both sides stretch the length of the field and am I correct on saying they are not open seats (meaning open by your feet). Again, I am thrilled to be traveling, I love a mini road trip (if you can even call it that) for what should be a great game!

Yes you are correct!

Springfields Special teams has to be better to make it to the next round especially in the kicking game (PAT's) If we can get 3 we have to nail it. Our KOR has been stellar to say the least, Toliver and Stephens has take a few to the house just in this playoff run, I doubt if Elder kicks to either one. I hear Elder gives up 20+ a game any truth to that? I like our Defense to pull off the stops when needed, and one of our weapons will break free on offense. Springfield 17-13. Yess I am BIAS!!! Good luck to all this FRIDAY.

Springfields Special teams has to be better to make it to the next round especially in the kicking game (PAT's) If we can get 3 we have to nail it. Our KOR has been stellar to say the least, Toliver and Stephens has take a few to the house just in this playoff run, I doubt if Elder kicks to either one. I hear Elder gives up 20+ a game any truth to that? I like our Defense to pull off the stops when needed, and one of our weapons will break free on offense. Springfield 17-13. Yess I am BIAS!!! Good luck to all this FRIDAY.

Yes, 20+ points a game is about correct. They are averaging 37 points a game this season. Their only 2 losses were against St. Ed's who is probably the 2nd best team in the state and LaSalle who will most likely roll through the division 2 state championship. St. Ed's became a sprint that Elder got behind and couldn't catch back up. LaSalle was a tale of 2 halves. LaSalle went up 21-0 in the first Q and 27-6 by half time before Elder tried to mount a comeback falling 27-25 after missing an 2 pt conversion. Elder also missed 2 xp that game and allowed a special team touchdown.
So while 20+ is correct, in their last 4 games, their defense has only allowed 2 TD per game while the others were scored off ST or TO.

Gotta be talking the Findlay game right? The following year Elder clobbered Scioto.

Oh yeah. Were you there? What a game, right? Findlay went up 14-0, then it was 27-14 Elder, before Findlay scored 17 unsanswered to go up 31-27 before Glathaar punched it in early in the 4th. Then they rode him the entire 4th quarter to ice it. That was the state title game right there-either team would have beat Warren Harding that year. Findlay actually beat Springfield that year in the regional final to play Elder-what a team Springfield had-athletes everywhere!

As for this year, I've seen both teams and man it's gonna be a good game. The Springfield WR is the real deal and will be tough for Elder to stick with all night-he's going to get his. Their running back is a load as well, but I think Elder has the better overall squad and will win late in the game with special teams playing a big factor.

Oh yeah. Were you there? What a game, right? Findlay went up 14-0, then it was 27-14 Elder, before Findlay scored 17 unsanswered to go up 31-27 before Glathaar punched it in early in the 4th. Then they rode him the entire 4th quarter to ice it. That was the state title game right there-either team would have beat Warren Harding that year. Findlay actually beat Springfield that year in the regional final to play Elder-what a team Springfield had-athletes everywhere!

As for this year, I've seen both teams and man it's gonna be a good game. The Springfield WR is the real deal and will be tough for Elder to stick with all night-he's going to get his. Their running back is a load as well, but I think Elder has the better overall squad and will win late in the game with special teams playing a big factor.
I wasn't, but I remember listening to the radio broadcast as we were painting at home. Roller coaster of a game. Very disappointed I missed that one. Warren Harding was pretty solid that season, QB was a stud and they had Manningham. They would have been a formidable opponent for Findlay as well.

I wasn't, but I remember listening to the radio broadcast as we were painting at home. Roller coaster of a game. Very disappointed I missed that one. Warren Harding was pretty solid that season, QB was a stud and they had Manningham. They would have been a formidable opponent for Findlay as well.
Roethlisberger was a junior TE on that Findlay team correct? Backed up the coaches son, who was QB, if I'm not mistaken.

Warren Harding was the odds on favorite and was expected by nearly everyone to win the championship. I'll never forget the blanket of white snow on that field and how awesome everything about that first championship game was.