Division I State Semifinal: Elder (11-2) vs. Springfield (12-1)

Who wins?

• Elder by 15+

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Elder by 8-14

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • Elder by 1-7

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Springfield by 8-14

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Springfield by 14+

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mason is:

30 miles for Elder
60 for Springfield

With traffic on a Friday about the same drive for each school... only slightly better for Elder
I don't see Mason being chosen for that reason and because I don't think the OHSAA would give Elder the "advantage" of playing at a site for the third consecutive week. The game should be played at Middletown, Springboro or Centerville. Those schools are as close to equidistant as possible.

This coming Friday won't have much traffic thanks to the Thanksgiving holiday. But who's getting stuck in traffic getting to Mason? I made it from my house in Bridgetown to Mason's stadium in under 40 minutes last night.

Mason Dwire field seating capacity 6069

Piqua Alexander Stadium seating capacity 8200

Piqua has hosted St. X and Colerain... neither school used all their seats and they was both on the visitors.

Mason Dwire field seating capacity 6069

Piqua Alexander Stadium seating capacity 8200

Piqua has hosted St. X and Colerain... neither school used all their seats and they was both on the visitors.

Yes and the reason neither school filled up their side is because it’s an hour and a half from their schools.

Piqua hosting this game is only slightly better than this game being played in Toledo. Makes zero sense. A nuetral site should be somewhere between the two schools not some site out of the way that makes no sense.

Also, Cincinnati teams have been forced for years to play Dayton teams at Welcome and make the drive, I see no reason why the game is not at Mason.

Let's keep one thing in mind, OHSAA can't mandate a site if a school doesn't want to host, especially the day after Thanksgiving. No one knows what schools were contacted. Regardless, Piqua is one of the better stadiums in SWO, it's a great neutral site. Sorry Elder fans have to drive a bit further, but Cats had to do the same last week as #1 seed. I seriously doubt the players care where this game is, and the real fans of each team won't either.

GO CATS!!!!!!!

Yes and the reason neither school filled up their side is because it’s an hour and a half from their schools.

Piqua hosting this game is only slightly better than this game being played in Toledo. Makes zero sense. A nuetral site should be somewhere between the two schools not some site out of the way that makes no sense.

Also, Cincinnati teams have been forced for years to play Dayton teams at Welcome and make the drive, I see no reason why the game is not at Mason.
If you're a real fan the distance won't matter. If Elder wins the game are they gonna gripe all week about the drive to Canton and argue the game should be elsewhere? We hear the same crap every year, and 99.9% of the time it means nothing for the game itself. GET OVER IT!

GO CATS!!!!!!!

Let's keep one thing in mind, OHSAA can't mandate a site if a school doesn't want to host, especially the day after Thanksgiving. No one knows what schools were contacted. Regardless, Piqua is one of the better stadiums in SWO, it's a great neutral site. Sorry Elder fans have to drive a bit further, but Cats had to do the same last week as #1 seed. I seriously doubt the players care where this game is, and the real fans of each team won't either.

GO CATS!!!!!!!

Bingo. I would guess that almost NO ONE is willing to host on the day after Thanksgiving. Who would want to work the game?

People should be thankful that the folks in Piqua are willing to host this game. The stadium is fantastic and is one of the top 5 high school stadiums in Ohio. The people there are really nice and the game will be treated as a big time event by the locals.

Every Elder or Springfield fan that wants to make the trip will get a seat - and a good one to boot. Both the visitor & home sides have about the same amount of seats.

We drove to marysville round 2 to play jerome who was 10 mins from marysville
Is there a better location possible for a game between Springfield and Dublin Jerome than Marysville? Mechanicsburg?

There are some matchups that don’t have site options convenient for both schools. However, Elder vs. Springfield has multiple potential options that don’t require one school to travel a significantly farther distance.

Is there a better location possible for a game between Springfield and Dublin Jerome than Marysville? Mechanicsburg?

There are some matchups that don’t have site options convenient for both schools. However, Elder vs. Springfield has multiple potential options that don’t require one school to travel a significantly farther distance.
Mechanicsburg is not an option, no turf. the best places for this game would have been London and Alder. Marysville 3rd. wish this semifinal went to Miamisburg!

London would of been midway point even hilliard

Springfield lost to Fairfield and really have not played anybody since. Elder wins by running the ball behind the 2 Division 1 linemen.
I’ve read on here the Springfield run Defense is solid, but they can be exploited through the air.
Elder should not sleep on Springfield. But with that being said if they play up to their talent they should win by a TD or so.

Fairfield beat SF in week two 16 - 12 but had a 16 - 0 lead late in the 4th before the Wildcats staged a mini comeback that came up short. The game was played at SF.

Elder fans should hope for decent weather as I think their passing attack can be productive against SF. I suspect that SF has not seen a dual threat QB with the lethal skill set of the Elder QB. He is elusive and fast. He also throws a nice ball and his 2 INT's last night were as much a product of Colerain's outstanding pass defense as it was his mistakes. With #11 as a threat to win every 50/50 ball Elder should be able move the ball on a strong SF
defense.
Elder is not sleeping on Springfield. These Seniors remember getting a beating as Frosh from this Springfield team

It’s funny the 1 game we lost is the only good team we played. We haven’t played the gcl grind but have been plenty tested. Cats will be ready to play their butts off for 4 quarters

It’s good to be back watching the boys in purple playing at the end of November! They have been tested to the very end the last 2 games and I’m sure Springfield will provide yet another unique test this week. I for one love a little road trip in the playoffs! The further we play from Cincinnati means the closer we are playing for a state title! Go Panthers, UP STATE!

I have nothing against Piqua. Seems like a nice stadium, but when both teams have to drive NORTH to get to the stadium, it doesn't seem neutral.

1.2The Football Administratorwill select the sites for all other regionaland the state semifinal games. The site of all tournament games will be based upon the best site available based on TOTAL travel and the accommodations of the site. It is not our intention to have schools travel the same distanceto sites.State semifinalsites will be based entirely on the accommodations of the site

I know the rule, but a smart person would see when a team from Hamilton County plays a team from Clark County, they would play the game in a county such as Butler, Warren, Montgomery, or Greene Counties. But he let's have both teams drive NORTH to the northern section of Miami County.

I have nothing against Piqua. Seems like a nice stadium, but when both teams have to drive NORTH to get to the stadium, it doesn't seem neutral.

I know the rule, but a smart person would see when a team from Hamilton County plays a team from Clark County, they would play the game in a county such as Butler, Warren, Montgomery, or Greene Counties. But he let's have both teams drive NORTH to the northern section of Miami County.

What do you think would be a better location? Someplace like Middletown?

What do you think would be a better location? Someplace like Middletown?
I was thinking something like Middletown. I would go with any of the following.

Middletown
Centerville
Miamisburg,
Kettering Fairmont.
Mason.

If OH$AA wants neutral site games, they should talk to member schools and say would you be willing to host instead of asking for bids.

Schools that host just make extra money with volunteer work. I was talking to guy who's son plays sports at Mason and the parents were contacted to work the game and their sports team would get money.

I looked at the lot on the south side of the field at the corner of Tylersville Rd and Foxfield Dr. I counted about 25 spots per row. Then I counted 23 rows. So at 5 bucks a spot (from what I could tell they were all full) That is $2875 bucks just for parking in one lot. They also have other lots available.

Then you have the concessions. If no one is in the stands, no concessions are sold. So they make money there too, You have volunteer workers, but you do take the risk of buying food. Overall you still make money.

The only cost you have are for the power for the lights and police. Overall if you host you will make money if the AD puts a little effort into getting the volunteers together.

I have nothing against Piqua, from google maps it looks like a nice stadium. I just wish the game was between Springfield and Elder.

I believe this is where the run ends for Springfield. It has been a great run. Elder beat Colerain with a sub-par performance. I can’t see Elder laying an egg two weeks in a row. It would not shock me to see Springfield score first and then get shutout the rest of the way...24-7 Elder.

I was thinking something like Middletown. I would go with any of the following.

Middletown
Centerville
Miamisburg,
Kettering Fairmont.
Mason.

If OH$AA wants neutral site games, they should talk to member schools and say would you be willing to host instead of asking for bids.

Schools that host just make extra money with volunteer work. I was talking to guy who's son plays sports at Mason and the parents were contacted to work the game and their sports team would get money.

I looked at the lot on the south side of the field at the corner of Tylersville Rd and Foxfield Dr. I counted about 25 spots per row. Then I counted 23 rows. So at 5 bucks a spot (from what I could tell they were all full) That is $2875 bucks just for parking in one lot. They also have other lots available.

Then you have the concessions. If no one is in the stands, no concessions are sold. So they make money there too, You have volunteer workers, but you do take the risk of buying food. Overall you still make money.

The only cost you have are for the power for the lights and police. Overall if you host you will make money if the AD puts a little effort into getting the volunteers together.

I have nothing against Piqua, from google maps it looks like a nice stadium. I just wish the game was between Springfield and Elder.

The OHSAA never seems to help out SWO. A shame, really.

Oh well, take care of business no matter where they play.

I believe this is where the run ends for Springfield. It has been a great run. Elder beat Colerain with a sub-par performance. I can’t see Elder laying an egg two weeks in a row. It would not shock me to see Springfield score first and then get shutout the rest of the way...24-7 Elder.

Elder has not really played a good game collectively in all 3 phases in some time. If their offense clicks, very difficult to stop.

Mason is:

30 miles for Elder
60 for Springfield

With traffic on a Friday about the same drive for each school... only slightly better for Elder

I would think the OSHAA would like to avoid giving a lower seeded team the advantage of playing half as far away and also getting to play at the same location back to back weeks. There won't be any traffic on Friday so that doesn't matter. Piqua is a great venue, but it's a shame Centerville/Springboro aren't options.

Springfield lost to Fairfield and really have not played anybody since. Elder wins by running the ball behind the 2 Division 1 linemen.
Springboro a playoff team and the Division 3 Regional Champion the Trotwood-Madison Rams do qualify as playing somebody. Both great games down to the wire. Springfield is for real and just because they are not in the GMC or GCL does not mean they are playing JV football. Springfield is good do not underestimate them. Wildcats by a TD.