Division I State Final 4

bsee54321

20-8 Lakewood St Edward vs 28-0 Cincinnati Moeller
25-4 Olentangy Liberty vs 23-3 Akron SV-SM

Friday evening games. Moeller and SV-SM should be the favorites but anything can happen.

I don't see anyone beating Moeller this year. They are a complete team that can beat you in so many ways and play great defense.

I certainly didn't expect St. Ed's to come out of its Region. I was sure it would have been Brush or Mentor. Shows how much I know! Congratulations to St. Ed's and good luck against Moeller!

Moeller is clearly the favorite, but I believe STVM can give them a game if they meet in the Finals. I know Moeller rolled them earlier, but that was the second game of the season. Still, if both teams play their best games, Moeller wins. But... If the Irish shoot the lights out... If Moeller has an off night... If one of Moeller's top players gets in foul trouble... I recall a couple of years ago people were writing off the Irish and giving the DII title to Trotwood after they beat up STVM during the regular season. So stranger things have happened.

Moeller is clearly the favorite, but I believe STVM can give them a game if they meet in the Finals. I know Moeller rolled them earlier, but that was the second game of the season. Still, if both teams play their best games, Moeller wins. But... If the Irish shoot the lights out... If Moeller has an off night... If one of Moeller's top players gets in foul trouble... I recall a couple of years ago people were writing off the Irish and giving the DII title to Trotwood after they beat up STVM during the regular season. So stranger things have happened.

I like the optimism, but erasing a 37 point loss is a nearly impossible task. Elks got beat by 21 early in season, but still lost by 18 in regional finals.

I think this is as accurate as one could offer up. Moeller's game is just more accomplished than any of the other three contenders. They are big enough, they rebound very well, they shoot as good as any, they play exceptional defense and they can go 8-9 deep without any significant drop off. They would need to have something go off the rails and have the opposition play one of their best games of the year. If Moeller plays well they win hands down. They have had games where they seem somewhat disinterested from time to time but that was due more to the level of competition and the setting they were in. They will not show any disinterest in Columbus and will be out to demonstrate why they are the number one team in the state. Their student body will put on a show and the team will respond accordingly. If you have been witness to any of their previous final four appearances you will know what I mean. They put on a great show from opening tip to the final horn. Keep an eye open and an ear to their student section. They are unique. You will be in for a treat. GBM

I like the optimism, but erasing a 37 point loss is a nearly impossible task. Elks got beat by 21 early in season, but still lost by 18 in regional finals.

Trotwood beat STVM by, I believe, 38 points during the regular season two years ago and the Irish bested them in the rematch in the State semis that year. If the re-match comes to be, I would presume that the Irish players may be reminded of that game a time or two!

Trotwood beat STVM by, I believe, 38 points during the regular season two years ago and the Irish bested them in the rematch in the State semis that year. If the re-match comes to be, I would presume that the Irish players may be reminded of that game a time or two!

Anything is possible, but I like Moeller by 20+

I agree Moeller is the favorite. However SVSM has “been here before” and are currently “back to back state champs.”

You are both correct. The only difference between these two teams is that one is exceptionally talented and knows how to win in big games, has been here before and is the defending state champs. The other team is exceptionally talented and knows how to win big games, has been here before and is the defending state champs at a higher level. GBM

You are both correct. The only difference between these two teams is that one is exceptionally talented and knows how to win in big games, has been here before and is the defending state champs. The other team is exceptionally talented and knows how to win big games, has been here before and is the defending state champs at a higher level. GBM

True.St.V won't be playing young farmers with deer vision this year. They would have very few titles if they had always been in D1.

If my memory is correct, back in 2007 the eagles were 25-0 and finished the season as the AP Poll champions. They met with Moeller in the final 4 and Moeller pulled off the upset over the eagles.

I'm sure Coach Flan will use this for some redemption....

This coming from a D1 program that gets loses annually to the Irish.

And we don't recruit kids from several counties, or any for that matter. Cone is from our district for example. But we still own you in the overall series. Btw we have won D1 state championships a few times. Here's your chance to prove me wrong about whether or not you could do the same. :D

And we don't recruit kids from several counties, or any for that matter. Cone is from our district for example. But we still own you in the overall series. Btw we have won D1 state championships a few times. Here's your chance to prove me wrong about whether or not you could do the same. :D

stop-living-in-the-past.jpg

Last year, STVM tried to run with the Trotwood the first game and lost by 40. Come the state game, STVM mixed up a lot of zone and slowed Twood down to win the game.

Moeller should beat St. Edwards and STVM should win vs Olentangy. Haven't heard much on O-L... what do they have/do well?

Their student body will put on a show and the team will respond accordingly. If you have been witness to any of their previous final four appearances you will know what I mean. They put on a great show from opening tip to the final horn. Keep an eye open and an ear to their student section. They are unique. You will be in for a treat. GBM

Don't forget the last time they lost in Columbus. :eek:

https://twitter.com/air_it_out_13/status/845820485850075136?lang=en