Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a valid point. Maybe they aren't good enough to win it all. Frankly at beginning of the season, I didn't expect a return to the state title game with last year's losses. But that doesn't negate the competitive balance issue which goes to all of the playoff opponents, how skewed their stats are only when they play St Eds and how ineffective their best players are against St Eds. You really don't see any issue here? If so, that's fine. I'm just asking.

Perhaps it says more about the quality of their previous opponents than it does about St. Edward.

Then why haven't any Cleveland area public schools ever won a state title in football? In D1, I don't think even the Cleveland suburban schools have won one.

Attachments

• sarcasm.gif
    sarcasm.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 20
He definitely told the truth. Besides Pick Central when they had their run going they were really the only team that could compete. But they had some dudes!! Especially on Defensive side of things. Not saying Springfield can’t compete cause they’ve shown they can. But it’s going to really have to start up from on both sides. Ed’s didn’t have better skill players than Springfield but the OL/DL was definitely the difference

You love hyperbole. 3 different mentions of "Best ever" in one post.

Kilbane and Gideon are great but so were the 97 McKinley DEs, the 95 Ignatius DEs, and St Xavier in 07.
PDC, after what we all saw Friday night, I'm leaning toward removing my qualifiers of "one of," "two of," and "arguably" preceding the words "best ever" with which you took issue. Specifically regarding Gedeon and Kilbane, who collectively as an edge tandem had 67.5 sacks between them over their two championship seasons, do you now view them in the same or a different light relative to the other tandems we've seen. I think I'd argue that both titles don't happen without those guys. And beyond the stats, from a sheer eyeball test, have we really seen such dominance before in terms of actual, big stage on field production? Gedeon alone had 7 sacks in the two championship games, and he's generally considered the lesser of the two evils. So I'm curious if you're rethinking it at all (and presumably, if others are).

Perhaps it says more about the quality of their previous opponents than it does about St. Edward.

Precisely. Regions 1 and 3 were down this year. Ignatius and Mentor were not their typical selves. Mentor came around quite well by years end, but still no where near their championship level teams of the past. Gahanna, while possessing some great individual players, was not equipped to beat St. Edward. R4 was the gauntlet this year, and Ed’s didn’t have to run it. After watching the state championship game, I’m very surprised Moeller didn’t get the job done against that Springfield o-line.

He definitely told the truth. Besides Pick Central when they had their run going they were really the only team that could compete. But they had some dudes!! Especially on Defensive side of things. Not saying Springfield can’t compete cause they’ve shown they can. But it’s going to really have to start up from on both sides. Ed’s didn’t have better skill players than Springfield but the OL/DL was definitely the difference

They had the better running back. And on that night, I’d argue Kyan Mason was the best athlete on the field. But yes, Springfield’s collective of receivers was better.

My issue with Douglas' whining is that outside of Schondelmyer and some excellent recievers, this was not a Championship caliber Springfield roster. It's unrealistic to expect a team with a fresh/soph OL to win the big school title. Robert Landers from Wayne, who St. Ed's faced in the finals in 2014, would have had 6 sacks by himself yesterday. Not hyperbole. Throw in Tyree Kinnel, Ahmad Wagner, & Matt Wilcox from that team - all Dudes. 22 Springfield just didn't have enough Dudes.

This. Springfield was much better on the lines last year. And definitely not hyperbole on Landers. Most destructive interior player I’ve seen. He dominated us.

Precisely. Regions 1 and 3 were down this year. Ignatius and Mentor were not their typical selves. Mentor came around quite well by years end, but still no where near their championship level teams of the past. Gahanna, while possessing some great individual players, was not equipped to beat St. Edward. R4 was the gauntlet this year, and Ed’s didn’t have to run it. After watching the state championship game, I’m very surprised Moeller didn’t get the job done against that Springfield o-line.
I didn’t want to to say it because I am a GWOC fan. Yeah no team in the GWOC could beat St Edward. Most would be beat down pretty severely.

By 1965, the battle lines were drawn and North and South HSs had become very bitter rivals. In 1983, Newsweek devoted its 50th anniversary edition to the North-South divide in Springfield, OH. They felt the racial and economic turbulence Springfield experienced the past 50 years was a good reflection of the entire country. The splitting of the original SHS into 2 schools was a response to Brown v Bd of Edn which triggered the suburban movement.
Thats interesting. Was one of the two more minority than the other?

I remember reading that the reason Delaware St. University was opened was as a response to Plessy vs Ferguson in 1896 because the "separate but equal" folks didnt want minorities at the University of Delaware. I may be off in my history and it doesnt involve Ohio but it sounds somewhat similar.

It's been interesting to sort through some of the posts, references to encouraging posters to ask Coach Douglas and staff directly as though doing so will result in violence.
Maybe you should tell him that directly. Better yet, next time you're on Home Road, why don't you drop by his office and set him straight about this.
As far as a leader of young men I was in attendence when TCC beat Trotwood and Coach Douglas had his kids go to the lockerroom as opposed to congratulating TCC.
Behavioral Health Rehabilitation (937) 390-7980
1086 Mound St, Springfield, OH 45505
(937) 390-7980

LifeStance Health
2900 Presidential Dr Suite 100, Fairborn, OH 45324
(216) 468-5000

Mental Services for Clark and Madison Counties
474 N Yellow Springs St, Springfield, OH 45504
(937) 399-9500

Rocking Horse Community Health Center
651 S Limestone St, Springfield, OH 45505
(937) 324-1111

Godspeed and Merry Christmas.
If this post was directed to ORB it was in poor taste. There are enough people suffering from mental illness that we don't need to make light of it.

Springfield had plenty of youth on the 2022 squad, they may very well be back next year. I hope that we hear from other Springfield posters next year so that the good things that are happening in that town are better known as opposed to hurling insults back and forth.

Thats interesting. Was one of the two more minority than the other?

I remember reading that the reason Delaware St. University was opened was as a response to Plessy vs Ferguson in 1896 because the "separate but equal" folks didnt want minorities at the University of Delaware. I may be off in my history and it doesnt involve Ohio but it sounds somewhat similar.
North was predominantly white. South was predominantly black but a number of whites went there too

I would also point out that Glenville ended the drought for Cleveland publics.

I'm old enough to recall the 60's when Cleveland was a much bigger city and full of tough immigrants, the point being that it is likely that the greatest public school football teams in the history of that town never had a playoff system to qualify for. Municipal Stadium would sell 71,000 tickets for the Charity Game in the 30's so there was a time when that city was on fire for high school football.

I would also point out that Glenville ended the drought for Cleveland publics.

I'm old enough to recall the 60's when Cleveland was a much bigger city and full of tough immigrants, the point being that it is likely that the greatest public school football teams in the history of that town never had a playoff system to qualify for. Municipal Stadium would sell 71,000 tickets for the Charity Game in the 30's so there was a time when that city was on fire for high school football.
I found this brief history of the Charity Game to be interesting:

I found this brief history of the Charity Game to be interesting:
Great article. Like I said, on fire for high school football.

Great article. Like I said, on fire for high school football.
Great article!
My father-in-law graduated from Cathedral Latin in 1948. The highlight of the year was the Charity Game. Men would dress in suit and tie to attend the game at Muny Stadium with the huge crowds.

The local newspapers attempted to revive the Charity Game in 1970. In a doubleheader at Muny Stadium, St Edward beat it's nemesis St Joseph (now VASJ) 21-14. I was in attendance as a St Edward Herbie. The second game was St Ignatius and Benedictine.

This totally supports Coach Douglass' comments about public-private. Transferring from Akron to Cincinnati??
Guess he wanted to play for the team with the best chance of winning a championship in southwest Ohio.

Guess he wanted to play for the team with the best chance of winning a championship in southwest Ohio.
Very true. Moeller has won the R4 championship 2 years in a row now. But they've been having trouble getting past R2. So much for your "blueprint "

Very true. Moeller has won the R4 championship 2 years in a row now. But they've been having trouble getting past R2. So much for your "blueprint "
Ed’s used it. Run the ball pressure the qb don’t give up yards after the catch don’t try to match up one on one. See how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.