Division I State Championship: Pickerington Central (13-1) vs. Elder (12-2)

Who wins?

• Elder by 15+

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Elder by 8-14

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Elder by 1-7

Votes: 56 39.7%
  • Pickerington by 1-7

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Pickerington by 8-14

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • Pickerington by 15+

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EagleFan

Fan of Eagle
Who wins?

Elder has had perhaps a few better teams since their back-to-back championships, but I think this is the one that grabs them #3.

Why does this feel like one of the more underwhelming state D1 title games in recent memory. I feel like neither of the two best teams in D1 are being represented. Though CONGRATS for both Pick Central and Elder for making it. They have absolutely earned the right to play in this game.

Why does this feel like one of the more underwhelming state D1 title games in recent memory. I feel like neither of the two best teams in D1 are being represented. Though CONGRATS for both Pick Central and Elder for making it. They have absolutely earned the right to play in this game.

I feel like both of these teams have busted their butts to get here. The best teams win games.... These are the best two teams!

I think Elder’s very tough schedule during the season and then having to get through 3 top 10 teams in St. X, Colerain and Springfield have them seriously battled tested for the championship game. PickCentral is a great team. Should be a heckuva game next championship game!

I think Pickerington is the slight favorite. Elder will have trouble with Crenshaw.

How are Pickerington's special teams? Elder looses a good amount of hidden yardage there.

Last edited:
Pick Central by 21... Elder scraps by with the play of Luebe(if thats how you spell it) and some plays from an overrated Royer. Their defense is not very good while Central is prolific in all phases they have the speed and size on defense as well as a hard nosed offense and very efficient special teams! I just don't see this one close

Disagree on the best teams part,

If it’s underwhelming, it’s only because there’s no real “interesting” storyline behind either program going into the game. At least not to extent Mentor or Springfield (both teams chasing that first title) would’ve had. To the average fan it may be a “meh” game, but I’m sure that’s how many others felt about seeing Wayne, Colerain, St Ed or St Ignatius make it in years past. Of course, it’ll still be an awesome game.

Who are those two teams? I had St. ED’s over Pickerington Central before the playoffs. Both of these teams definitely earned it. Elder came through the always strong Region 4 and PC beat a very good mentor team that went 3-0 vs state powers.

Rematch from 2008! Looking forward to an awesome game!

The Panthers drew 13-0 Pickerington Central in the state semi-final game, played at Dayton's Welcome Stadium. Elder trailed 10-0 before they finally scored in the second quarter on a 1-yard Nick Gramke run. After regrouping at halftime, the Panthers scored two TDs in the third quarter, on a 22-yard run by Ben Coffaro and a 64-yard Miller-to-Josh Jones pass play. The Elder defense held the Tigers scoreless as the offense added a Tony Miliano field goal to make the final score, 24-10. The stage was set for the Panthers to face Cleveland St. Ignatius in the state finals; St. Ignatius had defeated North Canton Hoover in the other semi-final.

I’m surprised seems to be more love for Elder so far. I really think Pickerington Central is the clear favorite in this game.

Pickerington Central knocked out Mentor who beat the defending state champion St. Ed's who beat Elder easily in the regular season. Yes, Pickerington Central should be favored in this one.

Maybe he is underused and that makes him overrated to me. I am sorry for that but if you are committed to Ohio state as one of the “best TEs” in the country he should have more of an impact that what he has had

You need to back up an overrated label with some type of reasoning or facts?

Through 13 games, Joe Royer, who has been worthy of a full scholarship to The Ohio State University, has 63 catches for 1,159 yards and 14 touchdowns. He added another TD today and a few other big plays. He was the X factor to lead Elder to victory over Springfield.

Fwiw...since 2000, 4x did a public school win title when it played another public school. If it was a matchup with a private school, the privates win.

You need to back up an overrated label with some type of reasoning or facts?

Through 13 games, Joe Royer, who has been worthy of a full scholarship to The Ohio State University, has 63 catches for 1,159 yards and 14 touchdowns. He added another TD today and a few other big plays. He was the X factor to lead Elder to victory over Springfield.
Yeah, that was dumb. Who knows what kind of player he’ll be at OSU, but calling him “overrated” can be disproven by stats alone. There’s plenty of other high profile recruits in the state that haven’t had near the production of Royer.