Division I - Region 4 Championship: Colerain (11-1) vs. Elder (10-2)

Who wins?

• Colerain by 15+

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Colerain by 8-14

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Colerain by 1-7

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Elder by 1-7

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Elder by 8-14

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Elder by 15+

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No doubt a big loss, my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Does he mean that much to the team? Or is the drop off to the backup that significant? Or is it that he is a coveted 2 way player?
Absolute game changer on offense with him out.

Obviously different circumstances, but really ironic that Elder lost its best player last year (QB Bittner) for the Colerain game... and now Colerain loses one if its top players right before the Elder game.

If I had to guess, Colerain has 5 kids with high-end speed and elusiveness waiting to take his place. They always just reload.

No doubt a big loss, my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Does he mean that much to the team? Or is the drop off to the backup that significant? Or is it that he is a coveted 2 way player?

The dropoff is huge. The offense struggled big time until midseason when they inserted him at running back.

Absolute game changer on offense with him out.
Agreed. It's almost the same as losing a QB. It also hurts on defense as he was used in key moments during a game.

Once again, Colerain is the decided underdog against a talent-laden GCL team. The boys will battle, no doubt. It will be an uphill struggle.

-CardinalsFan

Will the Coaches put in the young Sophomore at RB. Was it MJ Flowers who was playing earlier in the season. Any idea why we haven’t seen much of him. Was he having issues holding onto the ball?

Either way.... Next man up!

2 way player...huge loss!

He was the pitch rb correct? The reality is, Elder is most susceptible to the pitch rb and the QB. Against Winton Woods the Elder defense bottled up the dive and between tackle runs, the issue was when they missed that initial tackle on the QB or pitch rb.

The key to the game though will be Elder's offense. They were completely shut down and shut out last year. They have to score and put pressure on Colerain to answer them. If I am Elder I want the ball to start the game and try and go down and score right off the start.

Will the Coaches put in the young Sophomore at RB. Was it MJ Flowers who was playing earlier in the season. Any idea why we haven’t seen much of him. Was he having issues holding onto the ball?

Either way.... Next man up!
I would expect to see MJ re-inserted into the lineup. He did have some fumbling issues earlier this year which helped precipitate the change in the backfield. However, I don't see a way he isn't relied upon with the loss of JT. I would expect to see Ham'zah and Shannon Murray move to wing backs with MJ in the middle most of the time. You've also got Deshawn Pace but against this Elder offense, I expect his focus this week to be mainly focused on finding a way to slow down Royer.

This may have to be Freddie Johnson's coming out party. If he makes the right reads and can carry this offense, the Cards have a shot to keep it close. Eat up the clock....long, sustained drives...keep Elder's potent O on the sidelines.

That's the ticket.

-CardinalsFan

I would expect to see MJ re-inserted into the lineup. He did have some fumbling issues earlier this year which helped precipitate the change in the backfield. However, I don't see a way he isn't relied upon with the loss of JT. I would expect to see Ham'zah and Shannon Murray move to wing backs with MJ in the middle most of the time. You've also got Deshawn Pace but against this Elder offense, I expect his focus this week to be mainly focused on finding a way to slow down Royer.

This may have to be Freddie Johnson's coming out party. If he makes the right reads and can carry this offense, the Cards have a shot to keep it close. Eat up the clock....long, sustained drives...keep Elder's potent O on the sidelines.

That's the ticket.

-CardinalsFan

Pace is Colerain's best player overall, isn't he? If Colerain has depth issues, I can't imagine they wouldn't use him wherever he could give them an advantage. Even for Pace, if he follows Royer, that is a monumental task. He might be the most athletic DB Royer has faced, but I'm not sure anyone has had much luck against Royer unless they doubled him. That will be an interesting game within the game to watch. Royer will lineup all over the field. Be a nice chess match to see how Elder gets him in the most favorable matchup.

This is Elder's game to lose, Colerain will simply be trying to keep it close and execute on mistakes by the Panthers. Elder 24 Colerain 13.

This is Elder's game to lose, Colerain will simply be trying to keep it close and execute on mistakes by the Panthers. Elder 24 Colerain 13.
Even without JT, I can guarantee that Colerain is going to score more than 13 points....good grief!

If Colerain holds Elder under 24 points...I like our chances.

-CardinalsFan

the Cards have a shot to keep it close. Eat up the clock....long, sustained drives...keep Elder's potent O on the sidelines.

That's the ticket.

-CardinalsFan
Ha, that's the ticket for Elder as well. Keep the Colerain offense off the field with long-sustained drives. Play bend but dont break defense and get a couple turnovers.

Even without JT, I can guarantee that Colerain is going to score more than 13 points....good grief!

If Colerain holds Elder under 24 points...I like our chances.

-CardinalsFan
Elder has never defended as well as St X. They also don't typically handle speed all that well either. X held Colerain to 14 points earlier this year, Colerain's lowest output until the Fairfield game in Week 10 (until OT). I agree with you CF, that the Cards can expect to score more - though I see this more of a 28-21 game in either direction. I think Elder has a slight edge, but Colerain has turbo clocked them the past 2 matchups so as an Elder fan can't feel too confident about the matchup overall.

Winner of this game will face the winner of Springfield/Dublin Coffman from Region 2. Where would the semi-final game be played?

No doubt a big loss, my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Does he mean that much to the te
Winner of this game will face the winner of Springfield/Dublin Coffman from Region 2. Where would the semi-final game be played?
The winner of this game Plays Pickeringto/Groveport from region 3. It’s on the Ohio playoff bracket website.

Thought for State Final 4 they can change up the Bracket if they want? Springfield Wins and I think next Friday’s Semi Final will be at Mason if that’s an option available to OHSAA.

The brackets are for regions and it says "rebracketing occurs at state semifinals." If someone has a better bracket please link it.

From OHSAA website

Attachments

• 78B38611-621D-4B71-B139-CAF2E303FD63.png
    78B38611-621D-4B71-B139-CAF2E303FD63.png
    363.9 KB · Views: 28
It is under Football not playoff coverage. Was looking too hard. Here it is: https://ohsaa.org/Sports/News/ohsaa-announces-football-state-semifinal-bracket-pairings-5

Thanks. I’m thinking if it’s Elder/Colerain vs Springfield it will be at Mason. If Elder/Colerain vs Dublin Coffman no idea where they may play it. LaSalle played the Columbus School last week I think at Bellbrook. Could Bellbrook accommodate a D1 Semi Final? If they are not already thinking of using it for the D2 game.

Centerville is plenty big enough but may not have put in. Piqua has been used recently for Cincy/Cbus game I believe. Welcome is perfect geographically but that and parking are only positives and it has not been used for playoffs for a good while.

Last edited: