Division favorites by Region in D-1

NEO:

Walsh Jesuit- Elite 8 last year. Return 7 senior D1 commits. Baseball America has the Warriors as the #2 team in the state behind Moeller.

St Ignatius- Elite 8 last year. Return quite a bit of experience with 2 D1 seniors and 1 junior so far.

Chardon- Defending D2 State Champs. Moved up to D1 this year

Hoban- D2 State Runnerup also up to D1. Have 5 D1 commits in the sophomore and junior classes, including to schools like Vanderbilt and Louisville.

Does Moeller even have 17 kids on their varsity roster? Lol.

I get it, they are loaded. I think Ohio is pretty loaded this season.

In NWOhio it is the usual suspects.

Oregon Clay is probably the favorite. The Eagles lost 4-3(?) in 9 innings to eventual state champ Northview in Districts and return their top 4 arms.
Toledo St. Johns
Perrysburg
Anthony Wayne
Toledo St. Francis
Fremont Ross has some decent arms.

Returning state champion Northview lost quite a bit and their HC went out on top and resigned after the season.

According to PBR, here are the college commitments as of right now (power 5 commits in parenthesis). I'm sure there are others that have been offered but aren't committed yet.

Elder - 4 total commits (Alabama '23)
Moeller - 5 total commits (Ohio State '23, Wright State 23' & '24, Notre Dame '24, Duke '25)
Mason - 8 total commits (Michigan '23, Indiana '24, Ohio State '24, Auburn '24, Louisville '25)
Fairfield - 2 total commits (Louisville '24)

According to PBR, here are the college commitments as of right now (power 5 commits in parenthesis). I'm sure there are others that have been offered but aren't committed yet.

Moeller - 5 total commits (Ohio State '23, Wright State 23' & '24, Notre Dame '24, Duke '25)
Mason - 8 total commits (Michigan '23, Indiana '24, Ohio State '24, Auburn '24, Louisville '25)
Moeller has a few other commits: Cincinnati '23, another Ohio State '23, Air Force '23, George Mason '23, Kentucky '25, West Virginia '25, Missouri '26.
I know not all of these are Power 5 but just wanted to put the schools out there.

Safe to say, as someone noted earlier, Moeller is loaded. They are #11 in the Perfect Game National Rankings for a reason.

Prep Baseball Report has their rankings out for the Top 25 baseball teams in the Midwest.
Here are the Ohio teams ranked:
#2 Moeller
#9 Mason
#10 Walsh
#12 St Ignatius
#17 Hoban

Troy is a dark horse this year. They have underperformed for the most part to this point. Loaded with talent and a senior heavy team. Led by top 5 player Ryder Kirtley who is a VT commit. 2-3 guys who can hit high 80’s low 90’s. Very strong staff. Solid hitting. They will run through a weak MVL league (Butler and Tipp will be strong). It’s just a matter if they can not choke in playoffs again.

You tend to name your “top players” or “top returning players”. Pretty crazy that Moeller could have a dozen D1 guys who don’t meet that criteria.

Cincinnati Area, Region 4

Elder
Moeller
Fairfield
Mason
Lakota West
West has some young talent. Sophomores and juniors and I have heard of some freshman. I am interested to see how they develop. Fairfield has a couple of solid players too. Typically Mason and Moeller are the two deepest in D1

Mason looks loaded too.

Is baseball more popular than football and basketball at Mason? Seems to be their most consistent sport. Is there a club team that consistently feeds Mason?

Mason looks loaded too.

Is baseball more popular than football and basketball at Mason? Seems to be their most consistent sport. Is there a club team that consistently feeds Mason?
I don't know if popular is the right term. In Mason due to money and location you just have access to so many different things that kids have options to choose so many different activities. So the normal big sports don't always get the best athletes. And since the school is stupid huge, multi sport athletes aren't as much of a thing. So most kids focus on just their one sport or club activity year round.

If youre talking strictly Mason select baseball, Mason Monarchs is the top organization. Their teams tend to be D1/National level teams. The Mason Aftershock are for the kids looking for the next step after rec. With that said, in Northern Cincinnati, particularly in the Mason area, you can't throw a rock 50ft without hitting about 30 or 40 head coaches in the head who are running different teams. Most Mason kids seek out whichever teams have the access to the best coaches and facilities, regardless of whether it's in Mason or not.

Last edited:
I don't know if popular is the right term. In Mason due to money and location you just have access to so many different things that kids have options to choose so many different activities. So the normal big sports don't always get the best athletes. And since the school is stupid huge, multi sport athletes aren't as much of a thing. So most kids focus on just their one sport or club activity year round.

If youre talking strictly Mason select baseball, Mason Monarchs is the top organization. Their teams tend to be D1/National level teams. The Mason Aftershock are for the kids looking for the next step after rec. With that said, in Northern Cincinnati, particularly in the Mason area, you can't throw a rock 50ft without hitting about 30 or 40 head coaches in the head who are running different teams. Most Mason kids seek out whichever teams have the access to the best coaches and facilities, regardless of whether it's in Mason or not.
Mason has off and on been the largest 9th through 12th high school in he State too. They used to have 2 boys freshman baseball teams, a JV squad and a Varsity. UC has several of their players on their roster. Mason cuts solid travel ball players in both baseball and softball. They used to have a hitting league (I think they still do but I am not that close anymore) The numbers alone are very unusual. I think that they should have had a lot more success but something always seems to happen in the tournament. This type of school should be very familiar to Philly Cat and his Bougiee history in the city of Brotherly Love!

Mason has off and on been the largest 9th through 12th high school in he State too. They used to have 2 boys freshman baseball teams, a JV squad and a Varsity. UC has several of their players on their roster. Mason cuts solid travel ball players in both baseball and softball. They used to have a hitting league (I think they still do but I am not that close anymore) The numbers alone are very unusual. I think that they should have had a lot more success but something always seems to happen in the tournament. This type of school should be very familiar to Philly Cat and his Bougiee history in the city of Brotherly Love!
Where I grew up and Mason are not the same in almost any way, except for money, and even that is different. There was a lot of "old" money back home. Mason is new money. And for the record, I lived in a small neighborhood of have nots, surrounded by the extremely haves. I grew up far from privileged and was forced to see privileged all around me.

Where I grew up and Mason are not the same in almost any way, except for money, and even that is different. There was a lot of "old" money back home. Mason is new money. And for the record, I lived in a small neighborhood of have nots, surrounded by the extremely haves. I grew up far from privileged and was forced to see privileged all around me.
I know, I know but when the OHSAA sanctions Equine events we know who to ask for rules interpretations! 😁