Division 5 Region 18

Biggest question to this point (in my opinion) is, can anyone in this region beat Coldwater?

There's definitely some contenders, but Coldwater will continue to be the favorite in this region until proven otherwise.

Region 18 match ups to watch this week:

4-0 Archbold @ 4-0 LC
3-1 Otsego @ 4-0 Elmwood
D3 3-1 Johnathan Alder @ 4-0 North Union
D4 3-1 Sand. Perkins @ 4-0 Huron
D7 4-0 Antwerp @ 3-1 Tinora
4-0 Eastwood @ 2-2 Genoa
3-1 Gibsonburg @ 2-2 Northwood
D6 3-1 Mt Gilead @ 2-2 Fredricktown

Drew Pasteur's rankings for this region below:

on a side note, Eastwood was ranked 10th in the AP poll and won 70-7 last week and now dropped out....? I know polls
"don't mean anything" but that makes no sense.

1. #62 Coldwater (4-0)
2. #67 Liberty Center (4-0)
3. #93 Elmwood (4-0)
4. #106 Huron (4-0)
5. #120 Eastwood (4-0)
6. #121 Archbold (4-0)
7. #126 North Union (4-0)
8. #164 Tinora (3-1)
9. #167 Otsego (3-1)
10. #180 Edison (Milan) (2-2)
11. #198 Oak Harbor (3-1)
12. #219 Ottawa-Glandorf (0-4)
13. #226 Port Clinton (2-2)
14. #230 Genoa Area (2-2)
15. #237 Liberty-Benton (2-2)
16. #352 Highland (Marengo) (2-2)

Drew Pasteur's rankings for this region below:

on a side note, Eastwood was ranked 10th in the AP poll and won 70-7 last week and now dropped out....? I know polls
"don't mean anything" but that makes no sense.

1. #62 Coldwater (4-0)
2. #67 Liberty Center (4-0)
3. #93 Elmwood (4-0)
4. #106 Huron (4-0)
5. #120 Eastwood (4-0)
6. #121 Archbold (4-0)
7. #126 North Union (4-0)
8. #164 Tinora (3-1)
9. #167 Otsego (3-1)
10. #180 Edison (Milan) (2-2)
11. #198 Oak Harbor (3-1)
12. #219 Ottawa-Glandorf (0-4)
13. #226 Port Clinton (2-2)
14. #230 Genoa Area (2-2)
15. #237 Liberty-Benton (2-2)
16. #352 Highland (Marengo) (2-2)
Not defending them dropping out, because they might be the best team in the region, but I would assume it's because of how weak their schedule has been to this point?

Not defending them dropping out, because they might be the best team in the region, but I would assume it's because of how weak their schedule has been to this point?
Funny how these things work out sometimes because as an AD scheduling games a few years ago when you schedule perennial power OG and two D3 teams as a D5 school, you would doubt anyone would call your schedule weak but that's how it goes sometimes.

Funny how these things work out sometimes because as an AD scheduling games a few years ago when you schedule perennial power OG and two D3 teams as a D5 school, you would doubt anyone would call your schedule weak but that's how it goes sometimes.
For sure, I am not faulting Eastwood at all. Just how it shook out. I am sure they will be in the top 10 soon enough

For sure, I am not faulting Eastwood at all. Just how it shook out. I am sure they will be in the top 10 soon enough

We start to find out about Eastwood this week and in 2 wks versus Genoa.

If they come out and beat Genoa by 20 and beat Elmwood while slowing down their offense - Eagles are real deal.

Defense seems to be improved from a year ago but still remains to be seen. Im guessing Coach Rutherford has a bit more responsibility with the defense this year.

We start to find out about Eastwood this week and in 2 wks versus Genoa.

If they come out and beat Genoa by 20 and beat Elmwood while slowing down their offense - Eagles are real deal.

Defense seems to be improved from a year ago but still remains to be seen. Im guessing Coach Rutherford has a bit more responsibility with the defense this year.

They seem to be grinding it out with the Wing-T more than they did last year. I'd be interested to see how many possessions per game versus last year when they were throwing it a lot more. Sometimes it's a matter of shorter games and fewer opportunities.

At the half way point in the regular season it sure wouldn't surprise me if the regional final has Liberty-Center vs Coldwater.

Region 18 had some good teams lose close games this past week:

North Union losing 31-28 to 4-1 D3 Johnathan Alder
Huron losing 29-28 to 4-1 D4 Sand. Perkins(who has a win over Elyria Catholic)
Archbold losing 16-0 to LC
Tinora losing 20-14 to 5-0 D7 Antwerp

These close losses will just help spread out the better teams top to bottom and could see some very tough matchups in the first round.

3 of the top 7 in computer pts currently, including spots #1 (LC) and #2 (Coldwater), were not even in this region last year, which was no slouch a year ago. Huron, the another newcomer to D.5 region 18 is sitting at #7.

3 of the top 7 in computer pts currently, including spots #1 (LC) and #2 (Coldwater), were not even in this region last year, which was no slouch a year ago. Huron, the another newcomer to D.5 region 18 is sitting at #7.

Delta in 6th and Archbold in 8th are also no newcomer.

Saw LC on WOSN last night. I think they are the team to beat. They looked like a more talented version of Cold water.

Saw LC on WOSN last night. I think they are the team to beat. They looked like a more talented version of Cold water.
You love stirring it up. LC is a VERY good team, and I’d love to see them and Coldwater meet up. Somewhere along the way, someone is gonna spoil that matchup. My guess. ELMWOOD

Another team I overlooked before is Carey who only lost to Coldwater in last year's playoff game by 12 points and they beat LC 31-7.

Edit update, I failed to remember that Carey is in division 6, not division 5

Last edited:
"my bad", I was looking at Joe Eitel's 2021 region 22 instead of region 18. I get confused when teams move up or down a division.

You love stirring it up. LC is a VERY good team, and I’d love to see them and Coldwater meet up. Somewhere along the way, someone is gonna spoil that matchup. My guess. ELMWOOD
Or Archbold. I know the result from Friday night but a few adjustments and that result could be reversed.

Admittedly don't know much about North Union and only a little about Huron. Eastwood and Liberty Center seem similar in their rushing attack mixing it up and using 3 or 4 backs and efficiently passing when they want to, not just when they have to. Elmwood going heavier with one back and mixing in their QB will always present a risk especially later in the year of wearing down a little or injuries but obviously Oliver held up pretty well last season.

Admittedly don't know much about North Union and only a little about Huron. Eastwood and Liberty Center seem similar in their rushing attack mixing it up and using 3 or 4 backs and efficiently passing when they want to, not just when they have to. Elmwood going heavier with one back and mixing in their QB will always present a risk especially later in the year of wearing down a little or injuries but obviously Oliver held up pretty well last season.
I was curious how reliant Elmwood was on their RB & QB once you said that, looking at the blades stats, going into last week it looks like Liberty Center's RB's had 50 & 46 carries and their QB had 30.......... Elmwood's RB had 59 and their QB had 22...... Eastwood's QB has 36 carries, RB has 52... Seems like they're all relatively even.

I was curious how reliant Elmwood was on their RB & QB once you said that, looking at the blades stats, going into last week it looks like Liberty Center's RB's had 50 & 46 carries and their QB had 30.......... Elmwood's RB had 59 and their QB had 22...... Eastwood's QB has 36 carries, RB has 52... Seems like they're all relatively even.

I think Rolly was just pointing out the multiple weapons you have to account for with Eastwood and Liberty Center compared to Elmwood. Although, Elmwood's 2 guys are very very talented.

These were going into last Friday's games...

Eastwood:
RB 1 - 52 attempts
QB - 36 attempts
RB 2 - 22 attempts
RB 3 - 22 attempts

Liberty Center:
RB 1 - 50 attempts
RB 2 - 46 attemtps
QB - 30 attempts

Elmwood:
RB 1 - 59 attempts
QB - 22 attempts
nobody else listed

I think Rolly was just pointing out the multiple weapons you have to account for with Eastwood and Liberty Center compared to Elmwood. Although, Elmwood's 2 guys are very very talented.

These were going into last Friday's games...

Eastwood:
RB 1 - 52 attempts
QB - 36 attempts
RB 2 - 22 attempts
RB 3 - 22 attempts

Liberty Center:
RB 1 - 50 attempts
RB 2 - 46 attemtps
QB - 30 attempts

Elmwood:
RB 1 - 59 attempts
QB - 22 attempts
nobody else listed
That is fair from a rushing perspective but you also have to consider the passing element because that spreads the ball out quite a bit.
Eastwood - 70 yards passing, 2 touchdowns. One receiver listed 3 catches - 53 yards
Elmwood - 977 yards passing. 12 touchdowns. 3 receivers listed, 13 catches - 292 yards, 11 catches - 237 yards, 12 catches - 151 yards
Liberty Center - 267 yards passing, 3 touchdowns. One receiver listed with 7 catches - 98 yards

All 3 supremely talented schools, just spread the ball out different ways.
(One thing I noticed when I went to the Eastwood vs Genoa game this weekend, Eastwood's offensive success seemed to be very reliant on Boos to make big plays. Feels like as the schedule gets tougher from here on out, the more they are going to rely on him.)

That is fair from a rushing perspective but you also have to consider the passing element because that spreads the ball out quite a bit.
Eastwood - 70 yards passing, 2 touchdowns. One receiver listed 3 catches - 53 yards
Elmwood - 977 yards passing. 12 touchdowns. 3 receivers listed, 13 catches - 292 yards, 11 catches - 237 yards, 12 catches - 151 yards
Liberty Center - 267 yards passing, 3 touchdowns. One receiver listed with 7 catches - 98 yards

All 3 supremely talented schools, just spread the ball out different ways.
(One thing I noticed when I went to the Eastwood vs Genoa game this weekend, Eastwood's offensive success seemed to be very reliant on Boos to make big plays. Feels like as the schedule gets tougher from here on out, the more they are going to rely on him.)

Agreed.

Genoa appeared to have a focus to take away buck sweep - which they did. But, Eastwood had success with iso/belly plays and obviously whenever Boos ran it was at least 7+ yards a carry.

Will be interesting to see what they do offensively against Elmwood and Otsego.

According to Drew's fantastic 50 projections:

Liberty Center #1 seed
Elmwood #2 seed (assuming they Beat Eastwood)

Cavs and Archbold battling it out for #3.

Yuge potential match ups in the semis for sure!

According to Drew's fantastic 50 projections:

Liberty Center #1 seed
Elmwood #2 seed (assuming they Beat Eastwood)

Cavs and Archbold battling it out for #3.

Yuge potential match ups in the semis for sure!
That's assuming we lose to Marion Local in his projections. I wonder what our point total would be if we would beat Marion.

Other than Eastwood defeating Elmwood, the biggest "risk" to Drew's projection is Huron winning out. If they do that, they will rise to #2-#4 depending on the Eastwood/Elmwood and CW/ML outcomes.. The model has Huron winning each remaining game by 9+ points, and based on what I have seen in the SBC, this is a rather realistic scenario.

Other than Eastwood defeating Elmwood, the biggest "risk" to Drew's projection is Huron winning out. If they do that, they will rise to #2-#4 depending on the Eastwood/Elmwood and CW/ML outcomes.. The model has Huron winning each remaining game by 9+ points, and based on what I have seen in the SBC, this is a rather realistic scenario.

They just have a really tough stretch of games rest of season. Willard, OH, PC, and Edison. All winnable but could see a slip up somewhere. If they win out - they deserve the top 4 spot IMO.

They just have a really tough stretch of games rest of season. Willard, OH, PC, and Edison. All winnable but could see a slip up somewhere. If they win out - they deserve the top 4 spot IMO.
Willard, PC and OH all 45+ mins on the road for them as well..

I don't think Willard will be much competition, and PC seems to be sliding (rumors of internal conflict), but if Huron's passing attack is limited by rain/wind vs Edison/OH, those become toss ups imo