Division 2 Region 8 playoff discussion

Again for the millionth time. LM never pulled out of a game with WW. There was a preliminary discussion. That is it. No agreement. LM had options and chose to play a team closer to there level that doesn't recruit players. Nothing wrong with that. LM made the playoffs based upon the current system. They played the toughest team out of R8 at home with LMs best olineman from last year playing for the other team. So yes the odds were stacked against them. They tried and failed. No shame. That is 2 teams in my opinion who should never be on the same field. It looked like a d3 college team playing a high school team. Kramerica said LM probably belongs in d3. He is probably accurate on that thought. Or maybe LaSalle should be in the very watered down r4. Maybe WW can join them and stop beating up on farm teams in d2.
How many d2 teams were on WW schedule this year?

I think it's really funny that people think that DeSales and LaSalle are playing.
I think its really funny that Harrison fans think they have a shot to beat LS. Must be nice to be in a weak league with D3 teams. Big fish in a little pond ring a bell? I hope you win this week though so I dont have to travel to Dayton for the regional final.

I think its really funny that Harrison fans think they have a shot to beat LS. Must be nice to be in a weak league with D3 teams. Big fish in a little pond ring a bell? I hope you win this week though so I dont have to travel to Dayton for the regional final.

Harrison is a very complete d2 team. But LaSalle is a different level. It would be much closer then the LM game. But I think LaSalle would win and should win. They have all the advantages over teams like Harrison.

Who cares they didn’t make the playoffs? It is basketball season there. But they have not been able to make that an AAU team like football.
90% of winton woods players live in the district fellas please stop acting like they recruit players out of the wazoo smh that talking point is getting lame and old...catholic schools came to WW district for years and plucked athletes from our school and nobody complained...it only became an issue when WW began beating the big bad gcl teams...ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun

90% of winton woods players live in the district fellas please stop acting like they recruit players out of the wazoo smh that talking point is getting lame and old...catholic schools came to WW district for years and plucked athletes from our school and nobody complained...it only became an issue when WW began beating the big bad gcl teams...ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun

That is 10 percent more than any other public school in Cincinnati. No one cares about the GCL because those are private academic institutes not AAU football. I think what upsets people is the fact that WW does it and then beats there chest when they beat up on small City and farm schools. It's cool if WW wants to do it. Then when playoff time roles around go play those teams. I have always thought there needs to be a regular playoff and then an open playoff for teams like WW, Hoban, Massillon, and LaSalle. I firmly believe there will never be another non open enrollment/recruited state champion in D2 or D1 again.

It will be LaSalle in the semis. No one can compete except maybe DeSales. They are too big and too fast. They shouldn't be playing R2 public school teams. It's just different. Not an even playing field at all. They are twice the team WW was last year in 2018.
And yet WW beat them this year? I don't think so. No way LaSalle is "twice the team WW was last year." Winton Woods did go to the final four in DII. No doubt LaSalle is very, very good. But Winton Woods did beat them - this year! The real calamity here is how WW does NOT get into this year's play-offs. This is definitely one of those times where the Harbin system did NOT work in terms of getting "best" teams in the play-offs. As much as I am a LM fan, no way they deserved to be in this year's play-offs over WW! Anyone who actually would suggest LM was better than WW cannot be taken seriously. Last night just made that abundantly clear. 42-0 at halftime. OUCH! Then again, it is what it is. No one ever said that life was going to be fair. Still proud of our LM team for another good season. In humble admiration, not quite as good as last year's team, but definitely worthy of our community's applause! Go Panthers!

What's the point in being this way?

That is 10 percent more than any other public school in Cincinnati. No one cares about the GCL because those are private academic institutes not AAU football. I think what upsets people is the fact that WW does it and then beats there chest when they beat up on small City and farm schools. It's cool if WW wants to do it. Then when playoff time roles around go play those teams. I have always thought there needs to be a regular playoff and then an open playoff for teams like WW, Hoban, Massillon, and LaSalle. I firmly believe there will never be another non open enrollment/recruited state champion in D2 or D1 again.

I feel like when Loveland won it in D2 a few years ago, that may be the last time we see a community team based on guys who live in the district and for the most part have since elementary school win it all. Its what makes it great to see the Clinton Massie, Marion Local, Coldwater, etc type teams when they win state in any sport.

Man this region posts are pretty much keep talking about WW. Brag about LaSalle and trash every other team
No need to "trash other teams," but it is rather ridiculous that the system can't get it right regarding one of the best DII football teams in the state with arguably one of the best RBs in the state, having beaten the #1 seeded team in the region during the season and NOT being in the play-offs? Yeah, folks should be talking about what happened to WW. It's really a shame. And it wasn't like they tried to "wiggle" the system by playing lower talented teams. They played a very difficult schedule. Just really sad for them and for HS football fans who love to see great teams play in the Big Show.

I agree! It's still just a game. Better to just wish the young men luck!
Cause I am tired of all the bitching about open enrollment and all star teams. Colerain never complains. It's amazing that GCL schools (and WW) have to play 4 out of state games every year, and then the publics complain about it come playoff time. Challenge yourself during the season and reap the rewards come playoff time. There is a reason kids want to play for the GCL schools. It increases their exposure to college recruiting against great competition.Beating up in D3 teams does not do it. No secret here, but I find it laughable that these same posters admonish parents for setting their kids up for success if they are talented enough. Be proud that you went 9-1 or 10-0, but then shut up when your doors are blown off.

They will never separate the playoffs, so play the schedule in front of you. Adapt or die.

And yet WW beat them this year? I don't think so. No way LaSalle is "twice the team WW was last year." Winton Woods did go to the final four in DII. No doubt LaSalle is very, very good. But Winton Woods did beat them - this year! The real calamity here is how WW does NOT get into this year's play-offs. This is definitely one of those times where the Harbin system did NOT work in terms of getting "best" teams in the play-offs. As much as I am a LM fan, no way they deserved to be in this year's play-offs over WW! Anyone who actually would suggest LM was better than WW cannot be taken seriously. Last night just made that abundantly clear. 42-0 at halftime. OUCH! Then again, it is what it is. No one ever said that life was going to be fair. Still proud of our LM team for another good season. In humble admiration, not quite as good as last year's team, but definitely worthy of our community's applause! Go Panthers!
Let's stick together now boys.

Wow, folks...
LM, Harrison, Turpin all earned their way in...Yeah it would be nice to see what an Anderson or Winton Woods could do but they did not do what they needed too in season order to find out...
I think everyone agrees LaSalle will take care of business.
I would like to see Harrison get a W next week so they could play LaSalle but Desales may be a little too much for them.
I think it will be close though 33-27...Football gods... flip the score so we can see Harrison closer to home vs. LaSalle...

Last edited:
If Winton Woods and La Salle want to compete for a DII state title, they know who awaits them in NE Ohio, an open enrollment public school who recruits (Massillon) or a private school with no boundaries who recruits too (Hoban)
Are you just throwing more kindling wood on the fire here? You're gonna get everyone even more worked up! LOL! So what's the big difference? A GCL private school who gets athletes from all over the city (has one of LM's former All Conference guys who transferred his Senior year nonetheless!), and WW who has open enrollment and arguably the state's top RB (Williams) who played youth football with the Fairfield RB stud (McClain). Imagine those two in the same backfield? Might it be time to level the playing field all around. Open Enrollment for everyone (just pay the tuition for the school you attend - like the private schools). Let the recruiting begin! No different than the colleges. Have a certain allotment of scholarships/recruits per school. Parents want their student athletes to play in best programs, they would be free to go anywhere as long as they pay or receive financial assistance vis scholarships. A new system of "athletic school choice." Programs can recruit and seek to provide the best programs/coaching/facilities to make theirs the choice of athletes. No more arguments about whether or not it's fair to be a private school or open enrollment school. Then it's just a matter of re-vamping how the play-offs are positioned. The Harbin system didn't appear to work this time around - leaving WW out of the Big Show. Need more creative minds.

Cause I am tired of all the bitching about open enrollment and all star teams. Colerain never complains. It's amazing that GCL schools (and WW) have to play 4 out of state games every year, and then the publics complain about it come playoff time. Challenge yourself during the season and reap the rewards come playoff time. There is a reason kids want to play for the GCL schools. It increases their exposure to college recruiting against great competition.Beating up in D3 teams does not do it. No secret here, but I find it laughable that these same posters admonish parents for setting their kids up for success if they are talented enough. Be proud that you went 9-1 or 10-0, but then shut up when your doors are blown off.

They will never separate the playoffs, so play the schedule in front of you. Adapt or die.

So I guess then LM played the schedule in front of them and was successful. Do you think they want to play d3 schools? That's why they are changing conferences. Due to the growing population they grew out of the SWOC. I think Harrison has as well.

With that said there is advantages to recruiting players and you ha e to agree. LM literally plays whoever shows up from there town on day 1. LaSalle or WW needs a running back they can find one who is an 8th grader and build him from there. That's a big advantage.

WW is in my opinion the second best team in the region not by much but the second. I have seen both teams. LaSalle lost to WW. But if the game happened today I think LaSalle wins. Especially being 100 percent healthy with there LB back.

It is a shame that WW didn't make it in. But it's on them for not pursuing a week 10 game after other games didn't come to fruition. There were open games still listed for week 10 on the deadline. They could have played a team from KY. There were teams from KY with byes. They chose not to. And they didn't have enough points. Next year when they are beating up on the ECC it will be different. They are garaunteed 10 games. And they will most likely beat every team in the ECC by double digits. So argument is moot.

Are you just throwing more kindling wood on the fire here? You're gonna get everyone even more worked up! LOL! So what's the big difference? A GCL private school who gets athletes from all over the city (has one of LM's former All Conference guys who transferred his Senior year nonetheless!), and WW who has open enrollment and arguably the state's top RB (Williams) who played youth football with the Fairfield RB stud (McClain). Imagine those two in the same backfield? Might it be time to level the playing field all around. Open Enrollment for everyone (just pay the tuition for the school you attend - like the private schools). Let the recruiting begin! No different than the colleges. Have a certain allotment of scholarships/recruits per school. Parents want their student athletes to play in best programs, they would be free to go anywhere as long as they pay or receive financial assistance vis scholarships. A new system of "athletic school choice." Programs can recruit and seek to provide the best programs/coaching/facilities to make theirs the choice of athletes. No more arguments about whether or not it's fair to be a private school or open enrollment school. Then it's just a matter of re-vamping how the play-offs are positioned. The Harbin system didn't appear to work this time around - leaving WW out of the Big Show. Need more creative minds.
Lasalle had 4 different coaches in 6 years and 3 different Ad’s. Who exactly is doing the recruiting??? Did they call your son?? Zero chance. There are lots of reasons some of these boys go to LS. Blevins knocked on Lasalles door Lasalle didn’t call Blevins. I’m sure wresting was a factor Kids also wanna play in the GCL is also a big draw. If LM starts winning more athletes will show up Is the system fair ? Not really but that’s life.

Lasalle had 4 different coaches in 6 years and 3 different Ad’s. Who exactly is doing the recruiting??? Did they call your son?? Zero chance. There are lots of reasons some of these boys go to LS. Blevins knocked on Lasalles door Lasalle didn’t call Blevins. I’m sure wresting was a factor Kids also wanna play in the GCL is also a big draw. If LM starts winning more athletes will show up Is the system fair ? Not really but that’s life.

Yep. In fact, LS lost one of those ADs to Little Miami.

The idea that these schools recruit football players is laughable. The resources just don't exist. Now, do football players seek out certain schools? Of course they do. But La Salle doesn't just "go get an eighth-grade running back."

Yep. In fact, LS lost one of those ADs to Little Miami.

The idea that these schools recruit football players is laughable. The resources just don't exist. Now, do football players seek out certain schools? Of course they do. But La Salle doesn't just "go get an eighth-grade running back."

I agree with you LaSalle doesn't just go get a 8th grade running back. Usually the public's are the ones that do that. With that said LaSalle has built up a tradition that is why kids go there. Great athletics with great academics.

I hope the LM folks enjoyed themselves at our place as much as is possible with a result such as that. I enjoyed hearing your band play ... they're pretty good. Nice turnout too.

Lasalle is D1 in every other sport
LaSalle wants to be D1 in football again
LaSalle continues to need money so how do you get more money? More students.
LaSalle has beaten many D1 schools this year, all 5 that they played and 4 of those 5 made the D1 playoffs, 2 are still alive. And so are some of their out of state opponents they beat. Yes we lost to WW, the best team in R8 not in the playoffs, yes I would of rather of played LM instead of WW but they didnt make it. That said WW beat LaSalle but that was one game and if they played again WW might beat them again, but they wont play again this year so it is a mute point.
I as an alum want nothing more than LaSalle to be D1 again in football. Quite frankly to quit hearing all the moaning about LaSalle and the poor us BS that comes along with LaSalle winning in football now. Nobody complained about LaSalle last year. Nobody complains about LaSalle when they loose. Nobody sticks up for LaSalle either when the play against all the D1 schools in all the other sports. LaSalle has less students than all the other GCL schools to pick from to make those teams roster each year. We dont complain when Moeller wins basketball and baseball like they have for the past several years. We dont coplain when X wins tennis and swimming every year. We take our medicine like men in those sports.
LaSalle has to win next week, anybody that knows anything about sports knows anyone can beat anyone any day of the week. LaSalle has just as much of a chance as does Harrison, or any of the other 30 teams left in DII. I have not crowned LaSalle R8 or State Champs nor will I. How can I? We have to win Friday to continue the chance of being either.
Lasalle is a private school, and there are advantages but most of those advantages come in the classroom in my opinion. Different grading scale, that forces the kids to apply themselves even more to become a student athlete for example. I want and would always want my kids to be at the best schools in the area. Most kids go to LaSalle to continue their Faith. Please dont tell me I am conceded or anything like that either. There are a lot of great academic schools that are public. But honestly go ask your HR director about GCL grads and their opinion of the GCL schools academically, along with other private schools academics. They look at those potential employees a little harder. I am not knocking anyone who has kids in a public school. But lets face it again, the public schools that are geographically located around Elder, X and LaSalle dont have the same report card grades from the state of Ohio that Elder ,X and LaSalle do. Has anyone ever thought that kids are sent to these private schools for the education, discipline and mostly because of their Faith? I wanted to go to Colerain, so did all of my brothers. We were all sent to LaSalle, or X. We all wanted to go to the public schools because they had sports AND girls.