Division 2 Final

The Division 2 State Champion will be...

• Howland

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Tippecanoe

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

Both teams have never even been to the state title game before.

Tipp has already beaten #14, #13, #8, #7, and #2 so I like their chances if they play their game.

A big part of Tipp's game is the long throw into the box. That's not going to work at Mapfree. Will be interesting.

A big part of Tipp's game is the long throw into the box. That's not going to work at Mapfree. Will be interesting.
Is that field the full 80 yards wide?

Makes for a lot of space to cover, especially for high school teams that usually are playing on something 60-65 yards wide.

Will be interesting to see how both teams adjust.

Their thrower should still get it in there but its not their main strategy for scoring. A majority of their scoring this season has been kicking it into the box. They have alot of height on their team.

Watching the Medina-Moeller 2018 state final on youtube, Medina had a player who could get it in the box fairly easily. There's not much room for a run-up, though. From the internet broadcast of Tippecanoe-Wyoming, Tipp had a thrower going from "lane 2 on the track." Won't be room for that at Mapfre.

Watching the Medina-Moeller 2018 state final on youtube, Medina had a player who could get it in the box fairly easily. There's not much room for a run-up, though. From the internet broadcast of Tippecanoe-Wyoming, Tipp had a thrower going from "lane 2 on the track." Won't be room for that at Mapfre.
You haven’t been at Tipp’s stadium then which I have and it sucks. He’s used to only 5-7 feet at home. You give a thrower more room, they’ll take it.

Again this is not their main threat. They are physical, big, and handle the ball very well. This led to the defeat of all the teams they faced (my alma mater including).

It should be a good matchup tomorrow. I wish I could see it.

Last edited:
You haven’t been at Tipp’s stadium then which I have and it sucks. He’s used to only 5-7 feet at home. You give a thrower more room, they’ll take it.

Again this is not their main threat. They are physical, big, and handle the ball very well. This led to the defeat of all the teams they faced (my alma mater including).

It should be a good matchup tomorrow. I wish I could see it.
It's been about 15 years (is it turf now?). I used to scout Indian Hill there. Like I said, Medina (and Moeller, as well) were able to get long throws into dangerous places, so a great thrower can pull it off. Hoping for a great game. Will be there!

Final.....Tipp City 1
Warren Howland 0

Congrats to the Red Devils on their first state title in soccer!

Very much enjoyed the game. Long throw was , indeed, a great weapon for Tippecanoe. Tippecanoe had the better of play throughout. Also brought an enormous crowd. Congratulations to the Red Devils!

Nice to see Tipp finally break thru. They have been good for a long time but never could seem to get past Alter or Carroll. I do hope they have improved that cow pasture Tipp used to call home.

Nice to see Tipp finally break thru. They have been good for a long time but never could seem to get past Alter or Carroll. I do hope they have improved that cow pasture Tipp used to call home.
They installed a turf field last year, and a new concessions and bathrooms this year. They just completed phase 2 of a 4 phase stadium renovation.

They installed a turf field last year, and a new concessions and bathrooms this year. They just completed phase 2 of a 4 phase stadium renovation.
It’s still a pasture that the cows can’t graze due to the fake grass. I still don’t understand why they didn’t move their stadium to the high school.

It’s still a pasture that the cows can’t graze due to the fake grass. I still don’t understand why they didn’t move their stadium to the high school.
I like the park setting. Once they are finished with the rest of the renovations it will be pretty nice.

I like the park setting. Once they are finished with the rest of the renovations it will be pretty nice.
I agree. The park is a better location. If it was at the high school, it'd be mostly in the middle of nowhere, as the high school is by a bunch of empty fields. At the park, some people can walk to the game from their house. Feels much more like a community atmosphere, as opposed to separated from the community.

I don’t think they are going to get it finished. The people I know from Tipp said they hit a wall in the donation department. Also the concrete wall next to the home side is a safety concern and lawsuit waiting to happen when someone gets hurt. I was shocked when I went there for a game last year and saw how close it was to the field.

I love the idea but it’s not practical.

I don’t think they are going to get it finished. The people I know from Tipp said they hit a wall in the donation department. Also the concrete wall next to the home side is a safety concern and lawsuit waiting to happen when someone gets hurt. I was shocked when I went there for a game last year and saw how close it was to the field.

I love the idea but it’s not practical.
Can't speak to the donations. If they can't raise the money that will be a shame to leave it unfinished.

I don't think that wall is that close. If you're concerned about player safety and lawsuits you should just travel around the Dayton area and do a survey. There are varsity basketball courts where there are stages so lose to the sidelines that players can hardly stay out of bounds to make the inbound pass. Bleachers that go right up to the side of the court. And on soccer and football fields, drainage grates less than a foot from the sidelines. Pole vault pits open and too close to the field. Bleachers on the track, etc. All closer or the same distance as that wall. Kids seem to be surviving I believe.

And everything is a lawsuit waiting to happen these days anyway.

Can't speak to the donations. If they can't raise the money that will be a shame to leave it unfinished.

I don't think that wall is that close. If you're concerned about player safety and lawsuits you should just travel around the Dayton area and do a survey. There are varsity basketball courts where there are stages so lose to the sidelines that players can hardly stay out of bounds to make the inbound pass. Bleachers that go right up to the side of the court. And on soccer and football fields, drainage grates less than a foot from the sidelines. Pole vault pits open and too close to the field. Bleachers on the track, etc. All closer or the same distance as that wall. Kids seem to be surviving I believe.

And everything is a lawsuit waiting to happen these days anyway.
So true. But am surprised that it was code to modern day standards. I hope they get the money they need to complete the project.

Good solid game. Definitely 2 different teams.

Tipps physicality won out over Howland's finesse in the end.

Tipp was 2-3 players deeper, which I think played a big part as the game wore on.

Not sure either team really had a great chance all game, but Tipp finished theirs.

Thought both keepers played very well.

Great crowd and a great atmosphere overall.