Division 1

lhubble

Who are some of the top teams in D1 that could make a run for a state title? The defending Champs Pick Central loses their QB & OSU D Lineman. But returns everybody eles.

St. Edward, as they are every year, would have to be the overwhelming favorite to bring home the trophy. The only thing that can stop them is Covid-19. Otherwise, the trophy comes to Lakewood.

Oh, no. I want your head to be able to fit through the door. :)

It’s so slow around here with nothing to talk about so I’m all ears to hear what you have to say!

Just don’t compare this team to the 2006 version. That still has me shocked with the results.

It’s so slow around here with nothing to talk about so I’m all ears to hear what you have to say!

Just don’t compare this team to the 2006 version. That still has me shocked with the results.

The answer to your question lies with EagleFan.

HH Wayne returns everyone and even though they had a bad record last season they lost most of the games by close margins. If they can get rid of the distractions and hold onto the ball they could be a dangerous team if they make the post season.

Division 1 is pretty straight forward:

R1 is I's, Ed's, and Mentor. With Mentor losing it head coach and I's coming off a terrible season (by their standards), Ed's would be the presumptive favorite.

R2 has been altered by the changes to regions the most, but Coffman would seem to be the traditional favorite depending on what Springfield brings back and whatever surprise comes out of NW Ohio.

R3 is Pickerington Central which will have the most talent but has to replace the greatest player in their schools history at QB, but are the favorites until proven otherwise. The questions being who will be their main competitor. Can one player carry Pick North past them, will one of the Hillards grind it out past them, or will one of the Dayton teams surprise them.

R4 is the same as ever, the best between the privates, X and Elder vs. the best public, which is Colerain until someone else takes it. The questions being: who will be the better GCL team X or Elder and can either Lakota West or Fairfield finally take down Colerain. West has a lot of talent but that has never equated to success their and they are still going to be led by a sophomore at QB and how much can Fairfield replace from a very talented class.

[/QUOTE]
Ignatius is a Top 3 team in R1. Question is, will they be in Top 8 in computer points.

Ignatius will be lucky to go .500, since these seniors were part of the the least successful freshman and junior varsity teams in history. St. Edward, however, despite the youth of the team, has experienced success at the lower levels and will be the overwhelming favorite to compete in the state championship game ( should there be one).

Mentor and St Eds are the most likely teams to make it out of Region 1. Considering St Ignatius’ schedule, it is a daunting task for them to get in the playoffs. Even though the Cardinals and Eagles are the teams to beat in NEO, both teams (at least on paper IMO) are two steps behind where they were in 2017-2019.

I know PC is loaded, but boy are they going to miss Crenshaw. But anything is possible. Mentor made the state title game the season after Trubisky graduated. Arguably they were a better team the season after. It could happen with PC.

i think Medina will shock some people. if Mentor and St Ed’s get stuck on the same side of the bracket, Medina could be looking at a regional final appearance.

i think Pick Central gets out of Region 3.

Region 2 will be fun- i think it’s Springfield, Dublin Coffman, and Wayne. then everyone else (Springboro could be good). but i’ll take Springfield to get out.

Region 4 will between Elder, St. X, Colerain, and Lakota West. Maybe even Fairfield. this one should be competitive and fun to watch.

i think Medina will shock some people. if Mentor and St Ed’s get stuck on the same side of the bracket, Medina could be looking at a regional final appearance.

i think Pick Central gets out of Region 3.

Region 2 will be fun- i think it’s Springfield, Dublin Coffman, and Wayne. then everyone else (Springboro could be good). but i’ll take Springfield to get out.

Region 4 will between Elder, St. X, Colerain, and Lakota West. Maybe even Fairfield. this one should be competitive and fun to watch.

I’m biased but Coffman held Springfield under 200 yards last year ( yes lost a close one by not finishing drives ) and returns most of that defense including a small handful of power five guys and Springfield loses a lot of their weapons on offense ( like their returning QB who is excellent Smoot ) Thought Coffman outplayed them last year ( out gained them and shut a talented offense down most of the night ) and that defense only loses a couple guys and returns all the D-1 Guys and S field will
Have new skill guys for the QB to work with. Springfield and Wayne will be solid no question but I think Coffman May be the favorite here

Last edited:
HH Wayne returns everyone and even though they had a bad record last season they lost most of the games by close margins. If they can get rid of the distractions and hold onto the ball they could be a dangerous team if they make the post season.

If the queen had balls she'd be king. GBM

I know everyone has been talking about Medina being on the brink of something special with the QB and offense they run. However, they have to give the defense a break as they were clearly gassed in the second half against the eagles during last years playoff game and gave up like 400 yards rushing.

How is Medina going to improve the defensive side of the ball in order to compete against the big 3 in region 1?

I know everyone has been talking about Medina being on the brink of something special with the QB and offense they run. However, they have to give the defense a break as they were clearly gassed in the second half against the eagles during last years playoff game and gave up like 400 yards rushing.

How is Medina going to improve the defensive side of the ball in order to compete against the big 3 in region 1?
never said they would compete with the big boys. but i said they would have a shot at getting to the regional final if Mentor and St Ed’s ended up on the same side of the bracket. Ignatius may not get in, who knows.

St. Ed’s returns a good amount of offensive and defensive lineman which we have seen is the key ingredient in making a deep playoff run in November with weather impacted games. They have the most hyped QB I have heard of in probably 20 years although he is a junior and return a linebacker In CJ Hankins that is tops in the state along with Castleberry in the secondary.
I think they struggle with experience and schedule but am expecting a solid run deep into the playoffs.

Of course, it will depend on how they game plan against Kyle in the playoffs and shy away from conservative play calling like in years past plus dealing with high performance Mentor offense like they have every year to contend with.

never said they would compete with the big boys. but i said they would have a shot at getting to the regional final if Mentor and St Ed’s ended up on the same side of the bracket. Ignatius may not get in, who knows.

I wasn’t referring to your post, hence the reason I didn’t quote it.

Over the past several years, multiple posters from teams like Solon, Mentor and Strongsville have made notice of the potential of Medina.

Medina gave up 136 points in their games against St Eds and Mentor last year. They have a ways to go. But I’m sure their offense will be pretty good this season.

Euclid and McKinley are more probable Region 1 dark horses than Medina IMO.

I think Elder is the team to beat in Region 4 with StX a close second. If StX can put together a better defense they are going to put points on the board. They have one of the best offensive coordinators in the area.