Division 1 - Toledo Districts

These teams are broken up into 2 districts. Rankings are a little funky in this moment in time. The favorites to go to Regionals, in my eyes, are Whitmer, Lima, Perrysburg, and St. John's. The next tier of teams that can compete to get to the District Finals are Findlay, Tiffin Columbian, Start, and Northview.

A lot will change in the coming weeks and Findlay will be out in the first or second game. MEDIOCRE...IT'S WHAT WE DO!

I don't think Tiffin Columbian is a top 5 team. They are more around 9 or 10. They lost to BG earlier this year.

Findlay still has to the TRAC another go around so they have more losses coming. St. Francis as well, I don't think they are a top 10 team as well.

No specific order:
Northview
Perrysburg
St. Johns
Whitmer
Start
Lima Senior

after that
Findlay
Tiffin Columbian
Bowling Green

Does it "look" right? I still think, in basketball where there are more cross-over district and state games, coaches do it better. AI works better than deterministic math. Most coaches have a brain, hence better at the rankings.

More games will bring more averaging but everything is in conference now. If numbers do not work after the OOC, I don't think they'll work after conference. We'll see how they adjust but I really think important to keep open mind and see how well they predict the final play-off results versus how well the coaches have historically predicted play-off results.

Some gamesmanship with which games should be included in the calculations might give insight into what could make this work. Is it useful to include games played in Az, Fl,...? Or maybe it's correct and the brains are wrong. Time will tell.

Last edited:
My early money would be on P’Burg or Start. Don’t sleep on Tiffin Columbian, as defenses get tougher and you have a kid that can get you 25+ on any given night, it makes them dangerous.

Obviously there is plenty of time for the rankings to change a bit, but as of this moment here are 2 observations as if the tournament draw was today.

Northview and Findlay are going to be jumped on pretty quickly. People are going to stay away from Perrysburg and Whitmer which means teams in the 5-8 range are going to be all over Northview and Findlay.

St. John's is DANGEROUS as a 10 seed. Unfortunately for them, all of the good spots could be gone before they select, but if they can get the right matchups, I like them to make it to a District Championship game.

Big changes last night. Here are the current rankings:

1. Perrysburg
2. Lima Sr.
3. Whitmer
4. Tiffin Columbian
5. Findlay
6. Northview
7. Start
8. St. John's
9. St. Francis
10. Springfield
11. Anthony Wayne
12. Mansfield Madison
13. Bowling Green
14. Southview
15. Fremont
16. Bowsher
17. Ashland
18. Clay
19. Waite

Tiffin Columbian is currently 4th. In my humble opinion, they would be around 9th in the old system of coaches' voting, so the new ranking system has clearly benefitted them. They better be ready for teams to jump on them QUICKLY during the draw.

The other difference between the voting and rankings would be St. John's being a bit higher in the vote and Northview would be a tad lower. SJJ would probably be 5th and Northview would be 8th.

Other than those 2 things, I think the RPI isn't too bad. A lot can still change with some good games coming this weekend.

Tiffin Columbian is currently 4th. In my humble opinion, they would be around 9th in the old system of coaches' voting, so the new ranking system has clearly benefitted them. They better be ready for teams to jump on them QUICKLY during the draw.

The other difference between the voting and rankings would be St. John's being a bit higher in the vote and Northview would be a tad lower. SJJ would probably be 5th and Northview would be 8th.

Other than those 2 things, I think the RPI isn't too bad. A lot can still change with some good games coming this weekend.
Agree.....Columbian has 2 "not good" losses. To be above Findlay is a bit of a stretch. Yes, better record than Findlay but Findlay really doesn't have any bad losses and has several pretty good wins....while Columbian's win over Sandusky is about all they have. The SOS (Findlay 38, Columbian 134) isn't close. I'd probably move Findlay to 4, St Johns to 5 and Columbian no better than 6th

Don’t sleep on Start.
In a head to head I would take Start over Northview, Findlay, and maybe Columbian. I'd say the only matchup where I wouldn't favor them to win would maybe be Perrysburg or Lima. Hightower and Edwards are two dangerous players.

The following 6 schools are better than Columbian and I'd include AW, but Tiffin did beat Generals the other night.......by a solid point

In a head to head I would take Start over Northview, Findlay, and maybe Columbian. I'd say the only matchup where I wouldn't favor them to win would maybe be Perrysburg or Lima. Hightower and Edwards are two dangerous players.
To be fair, Northview did beat Start earlier this year by 2, but I would probably also take Start in the tournament match up at a neutral site.

Less than 24 hours away.

1) Lima
2) Perrysburg
3) Columbian
4) Whitmer
5) Northview
6) Findlay
7) Start
8) St. Francis
9) St. John’s
10) Springfield

Lima, Whitmer, Findlay, Tiffin Columbian and Start are the only top teams that play tonight so rankings will change throughout the night.

I hope the RPI site updates quickly tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Got to see Columbian today. Based on their struggle to win 56-54 over Wayne Trace, I can't see them being anywhere near the 3rd best D1 team in NW Ohio. They trailed most of the game and took the last lead with about 30 seconds left. Completely outworked by Wayne Trace. Raiders probably had 15+ offensive boards.

TSJ used to dominate this district and as Ed’s fan this matchup was always tough. What’s going on with them now? Surprised by the low seeding?

1) Whitmer
2) Tiffin Columbian
3) Perrysburg
4) Lima
5) Northview
6) Findlay
7) Start
8) St. Francis
9) St. John's
10) Springfield
11) Anthony Wayne
12) Mansfield Madison
13) Bowling Green
14) Southview
15) Fremont Ross
16) Bowsher
17) Ashland
18) Clay
19) Waite

Findlay plays at Columbian Saturday. Should be interesting. Wouldn't be surprised to see both Perrysburg and Lima Senior jump in the Columbian bracket.

TSJ used to dominate this district and as Ed’s fan this matchup was always tough. What’s going on with them now? Surprised by the low seeding?
Time passes fast. That was actually quite some time ago. Mostly public schools isn't it? Lima, Whitmer, Rogers? CCHS made a run about a decade ago.

Rise in the suburbs, keeping some traditional athletes. More vouchers to spread the talent around. Talent can go to smaller schools and still matriculate to D1 college. Ten years ago, I don't think Jerry Easter goes to Emmanuel. Kids that went to Stritch, don't go to Stritch and so on. I don't think it has anything obvious to do with coaching x's and o's. We're a much smaller population without that super high end economics that the C's have.

Last edited:
Martin now has Findlay 5th and Northview 6th. They had until 1pm. to appeal so I don't know why.

I thought if the #1 seed went to TCC the #2 seed would go to Lake. I was wrong, not the first time won't be the last.

I thought if the #1 seed went to TCC the #2 seed would go to Lake. I was wrong, not the first time won't be the last.
I wonder why Colombian would follow Whitmer?

As a Perrysburg fan this was an absolute dream scenario draft for us. Yes, Lima Senior is always tough and they have beaten us the past few years but to be in a bracket where there is no Whitmer, Findlay, Columbian, Start, Anthony, Wayne, and St Johns is pretty incredible.

Still some good games are in these brackets. And the winner of these two districts will play each other in the regional semis.