Division 1 Title

For a game such as this, strength of schedule doesn't mean much, but Ignatius has played a considerably more difficult schedule than has Liberty. That being said, I would expect the game to be very close. Ignatius has been beaten over the years by teams that packed in their defense.

When they played earlier in the year, the game was at Iggy and close (1-0). Iggy had about 90% of the calls. Should be a good game.

Has St. Ignatius ever had such a dominating run to the state championship game? 5-0, 5-0, 3-0 in regional semis, regional finals, state semis seems like unheard of dominance at the D1 level (though I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened for St. Ignatius before).

Does anyone know if they clear the stadium between games or can I see all three with one ticket?

Does anyone know if they clear the stadium between games or can I see all three with one ticket?
This has changed through the years. I believe the current policy is that you can watch all three boys games (and all three girls games) on a single ticket...if you stay in the stadium (separate ticket for girls on Saturday and boys on Sunday). Food prices are pretty high, and there's a parking fee as well. Hoping for some great games!

Closer than I thought it would be - -

St. Ignatius 4
Olentangy Liberty 0

Ignatius winds up the season undefeated and as far as I can rollect, never trailed in a game all year.

All-star team beats a Public School. shocking. Not taking anything away from the team and the players they are well coached and very talented...just not very surprising.

Last edited:
Congratulations Cats on #9 !! :)

Articles on the match

For coach McLaughlin, the difference between the match a couple of weeks ago with Liberty and last night's state championship was the wider pitch/bigger field of MAPFRE stadium - more space to work with.

Highlights of the match and the championship rally this morning

The big question every year: is it okay to change the playing field dimensions for state? I know baseball stadiums have different home run fences but they see it throughout the season and is not even comparable to the dynamics of soccer.

The big question every year: is it okay to change the playing field dimensions for state? I know baseball stadiums have different home run fences but they see it throughout the season and is not even comparable to the dynamics of soccer.

Happens in soccer at all levels. Even the USMNT has to deal with this when they are going through World Cup qualifying. A lot of those Latin American fields are really strange dimensions at times. Soccer might be one of the few sports which give minimum and maximum dimensions, versus standard ones.

All-star team beats a Public School. shocking. Not taking anything away from the team and the players they are well coached and very talented...just not very surprising.

But the matching Division 1 girls state title went to a closed public school, and last year's boys Division 1 state game had a closed public school beating a private Catholic school team...the argument tires quickly when you can only make the point by ignoring when the same circumstances had the outcome you wanted.

But the matching Division 1 girls state title went to a closed public school, and last year's boys Division 1 state game had a closed public school beating a private Catholic school team...the argument tires quickly when you can only make the point by ignoring when the same circumstances had the outcome you wanted.
I agree and if Moeller pulled a couple more high level club players from Lakota East, Mason and others they would be able to give them a run for the money.

It happens - Big public schools with good programs compete, but St Iggy has been at a different level most seasons over the past decade. (kinda like summit in D3)

I agree and if Moeller pulled a couple more high level club players from Lakota East, Mason and others they would be able to give them a run for the money.

It happens - Big public schools with good programs compete, but St Iggy has been at a different level most seasons over the past decade. (kinda like summit in D3)

Medina has been a major power in NEO the last few years. I once thought the difference might be in the schedule,as Ignatius has a much more difficult one. However, Medina knocked them out the previous two years. The Ignatius soccer program was nothing until Mike McLaughlin took over and changed the atmosphere and the attitude of the school toward soccer. He built a program while fighting the stigma from football fans and alumni who had never paid attention to soccer. Public schools can build their programs by taking a page from the Medina program, which starts their kids at an early age and brings them up in a system. Countless kids play soccer in Medina - the fields are filled. But, talent alone doesn't assure winning - look at the Browns. It's the coaching - making the kids believe in themselves and stressing the team aspect. Of course it might be easier with talented kids, but you run into other problems - egos, parents, etc. Medina and Mentor in football have shown how public schools can develop talent and win consistently. Nothing but respect for those programs.

Last edited:
A good coach and program also attracts good players. (particularly those deciding on HS vs. Academy) St Iggy is an excellent option particularly for those interested in D1 soccer.

The keys for the Medina's, Mason's, Lakota's and Liberty's is to keep the top clubs players that are in their district playing for them and to make sure you get the right mix in tryouts to create a winning combination. A good coach and program makes a difference.

Lakota West's Dudukovich is a great example of a difference on the girls side. (Ohio Player of the Year)

Top Drawer Soccer just named St. Ignatius Co-National Champs (along with St. Benedict, who they tied earlier in the year):

Very appropriate decision. Fantastic that these two teams played...and truly an awesome game by both squads. Congratulations to St. Ignatius.

Medina has been a major power in NEO the last few years. I once thought the difference might be in the schedule,as Ignatius has a much more difficult one. However, Medina knocked them out the previous two years. The Ignatius soccer program was nothing until Mike McLaughlin took over and changed the atmosphere and the attitude of the school toward soccer. He built a program while fighting the stigma from football fans and alumni who had never paid attention to soccer. Public schools can build their programs by taking a page from the Medina program, which starts their kids at an early age and brings them up in a system. Countless kids play soccer in Medina - the fields are filled. But, talent alone doesn't assure winning - look at the Browns. It's the coaching - making the kids believe in themselves and stressing the team aspect. Of course it might be easier with talented kids, but you run into other problems - egos, parents, etc. Medina and Mentor in football have shown how public schools can develop talent and win consistently. Nothing but respect for those programs.

Medina has also had a youth and travel program going way back. I believe Rangers appeared back in the late 70s? Maybe before that. They've had their own soccer specific high school stadium since the early 90s. 25 years later most schools still can't say that. It's always been huge there. Always will be.

Also their boys and girls have been playing in district and regional games going way back. Success didn't start in the last 5-10 years. Their nemesis used to be Brecksville. No matter how good they were, Brecksville would always edge them out.

How many of those Ignatius players live in Medina? I recognize some of those last names as Medina names from the 80s and 90s.