Division 1 State Semi: St. Xavier versus Springfield

To think I had SHS by 16.
In all honesty, I haven’t seen this much back and forth from yapsters since the early 2000’s when the Colerain and X fans went at it full throttle on this forum. Especially after a game. Although I will say it is customary to acknowledge defeat and eat crow if your side looses. That seems to be a bit lacking here, but hey it’s the 2020’s now.

Reactions: 4GX
To think I had SHS by 16.
In all honesty, I haven’t seen this much back and forth from yapsters since the early 2000’s when the Colerain and X fans went at it full throttle on this forum. Especially after a game. Although I will say it is customary to acknowledge defeat and eat crow if your side looses. That seems to be a bit lacking here, but hey it’s the 2020’s now.
It's just one idiot from Springfield. The other Springfield posters are good posters.

Ohio riverboy Springfield came up short, again! Get you some more of that killa, killa and keep up the circus act!

X-PC should be a Great Championship Game.
Nope. SHS played outstanding, especially the defense. I didn't see the massive blowout predicted

It's just one idiot from Springfield. The other Springfield posters are good posters.
Oh gee, I don't get your stamp of approval. How heartbreaking. News flash, I don't give a s*** what you think about anything. The only posters that need to "eat crow" are the ones who predicted the massive blowout because of a weak schedule. Of course, after they're proven dead wrong, they're not "idiots." Dumba** comment.

I predicted a win. I was right. You predicted a win. You were WRONG.
review the highlights. Press clippings and 1999 tape and get back to me
SHS played outstanding last night, especially on defense and proved all of you jealous haters wrong.

Springfield isn't going anywhere. They are the "new Wayne" in the Dayton region. They return a bunch, have good young talent coming up, and Moe will go out and get two or three other guys to fill any holes. I could see them knocking down the door next year.

Springfield should also be in shape to play one or two high profile non-conference games. They are going to win six or seven GWOC games a year, so they will have plenty of playoff points already. They've already played Pick North. I could see them play a St. X. The game I'd really like to see in the future will be Springfield vs. Lakota West. That game would be the equivalent of Wayne vs. Colerain during the early to mid 2010s.

Springfield did not play well on offense.

Credit the X defense, but Springfield's 4 play predictable offense didn't confuse them much. Not to mention the horrible playcalling in the goal line situations.

Northmont beats noone because they are sitting at the house. They caught a bad break and thats it. Almost counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. This is football and there's no crying in football!!!
Now, baseball.... Remember the Astros!!!..... Wait, Remember the Saints!!! (It was PASS INTERFERENCE!!!!!).... Maybe there's only crying, if you live on the Gulf Coast???

Last edited:
Next year, the GWOC will be a battle between Springfield, Cats, and the Elks. Bolts and Boro will be down next year.
I do anticipate Centerville will return to form next year. That game will be at SHS. Should be a marquee game between 2 undefeated teams.

Looks are deceiving he is currently 190lbs and dad is a strength and conditioning coach
Kid looked GOOD-- shades of Braxton (against X ten years ago this month) last night-- but he's still a junior-- Braxton was a senior when he (pretty much all by himself) cut X's state title dream short in 2010.

P
Other than the defensive secondary on long pass plays
PC was vulnerable last night. Mentor apparently didn't have their starting qb. After PC got up 21-0, mentor came back and tied it. Then, they were neck in neck. If X stops the turnovers, it wouldn't surprise me if they win. Should be a great game.

Nothing was gift-wrapped in this game. I think even X fans would say SHS outplayed them in many aspects and played well enough to win. So all of you jerks who predicted this massive blowout because SHS played a "weak schedule," what do you have to say now? SHS has the best defense X has seen this year.
I would say the first part of this is true-- there are aspects of the game that SHS outplayed X; I would say the second part is not true-- LW's defense is still better than SHS's; in this game, X turned the ball over 5 times-- at least 3 of those were mistakes by X (fumble at the end-- which I never saw clearly-- not convinced it WAS a fumble; interception on the sideline by the LB inside the 20, and one other INT), rather than forced by SHS-- whereas LW's defense FORCED X's failures on offense-- and, simple math: X had 3 scores (12 points) against SHS, but only 2 scores (10 points) against LW... This game was dominated by this fact: I didn't think the X QB could play as poorly as he did last week, again-- I was wrong-- he surpassed himself.

I would say the first part of this is true-- there are aspects of the game that SHS outplayed X; I would say the second part is not true-- LW's defense is still better than SHS's; in this game, X turned the ball over 5 times-- at least 3 of those were mistakes by X (fumble at the end-- which I never saw clearly-- not convinced it WAS a fumble; interception on the sideline by the LB inside the 20, and one other INT), rather than forced by SHS-- whereas LW's defense FORCED X's failures on offense-- and, simple math: X had 3 scores (12 points) against SHS, but only 2 scores (10 points) against LW... This game was dominated by this fact: I didn't think the X QB could play as poorly as he did last week, again-- I was wrong-- he surpassed himself.
Yeah I wasn't there so I'll have to defer you. But, 4/5 turnovers were recovered by SHS's star player, Delian Bradley. I don't think that's a coincidence. Creating TOs is what he does. I know X's qb was injured earlier this season. Do you think he may still be dealing with the effects of the injury? Also, from what I read, Clifford was pretty much contained as compared to his overall stats and performance this season. It seemed like this was a defensive battle where both offensives and qbs struggled greatly.

Clifford ended up with 124 yards on 9 catches and 1 TD. It’s not a gaudy perforce like 300 yards a few weeks ago, but I’d say his play was ok. Penn State might look down on only 124 yard receiving in a state semi though.

Reactions: 4GX
I was the first one to express outrage about the forfeit and how unfair it was. But when are you gonna just accept it and get over it? What's the point of all this crying about it? No one said life is fair. Deal with it. Get over it.
Again, I DON'T think you're getting it...

Clifford ended up with 124 yards on 9 catches and 1 TD. It’s not a gaudy perforce like 300 yards a few weeks ago, but I’d say his play was ok. Penn State might look down on only 124 yard receiving in a state semi though.
Well at this level, its expected defenses will zero in on Clifford. Knowing that, it sounds like he had a pretty good night.

Mo has turned our program around pretty quick. Last time we played X game was over in 2nd quarter. In 6 years he has 4 playoff appearances 2 regional championships I think we are headed in right direction just have to get over gcl hump now

Yeah I wasn't there so I'll have to defer you. But, 4/5 turnovers were recovered by SHS's star player, Delian Bradley. I don't think that's a coincidence. Creating TOs is what he does. I know X's qb was injured earlier this season. Do you think he may still be dealing with the effects of the injury? Also, from what I read, Clifford was pretty much contained as compared to his overall stats and performance this season. It seemed like this was a defensive battle where both offensives and qbs struggled greatly.
The X QB tweaked his ankle twice this year-- I don't think they want him to run anymore, other than to evade the rush-- he had multiple opportunities last night, when flushed out of the pocket, to run for first downs-- and NEVER chose to do it-- including the unfortunate INT in the red zone, where he forced a pass into a crowd of about 5 players in a tight knot by the sideline-- 3 of them from SHS. Clifford was pretty much Clifford-- when they got him the ball, he did magical things with it-- including X's only TD-- on another play, the QB missed him standing alone in the end zone, and instead threw the ball into very tight coverage... I'll give Bradley credit for any INTs he had last night-- the fumble is STILL a mystery to me-- and pretty much everybody in the X stands-- I saw Specht arguing at length with the ref about it-- I presume saying that the ground can not cause a fumble (because that's the ONLY point that I can figure that a fumble happened there)-- but I don't see how Bradley had anything to do with that one.

Mo has turned our program around pretty quick. Last time we played X game was over in 2nd quarter. In 6 years he has 4 playoff appearances 2 regional championships I think we are headed in right direction just have to get over gcl hump now
There's no disputing any of this-- SHS was a top-quality team last night-- they have a very limited offense (without Smoot, I'm not sure they'd be any better than LW there-- but they HAVE Smoot-- and he's a very gifted player-- unfortunately for SHS-- and fortunately for X-- their coaching staff kind of forgot how to best use him, at times last night-- any time he was throwing the ball long, I was breathing a sigh of relief-- he was most dangerous either running or throwing short-to-medium passes-- the ~65-yard TD was a ~10-yard route over the middle), but they may put more "stuff" in for next year...

the fumble is STILL a mystery to me-- and pretty much everybody in the X stands-- I saw Specht arguing at length with the ref about it-- I presume saying that the ground can not cause a fumble.

I watched the game on spectrum and they had great slow replay of it and it was a fumble for sure. Punched out by the defender while the QB was horizontal to the ground, whole body about a 1ft off the ground, and no elbows, knees or ball hitting. It was a great defensive play. But Brogan has to know the possibilities and two hand that thing.