Division 1 State Semi: St. Xavier versus Springfield

It is hard to imagine anyone from the county would contribute much with what SHS has coming back. I know the WR from NW was a huge boost this year, but don't know who could come in next year and make that kind of impact.

Who is transferring from Wayne?
SHS probably would have gotten Rice if they needed a starting qback. I don't know of any specific players transferring in. I just hear stuff. And yes, the WR from NW has filled the gap left by Larry Stephen's (not that he has Larry's numbers).

I just hope we can keep it close.

SHS by 16.
I think it will be like the Northmont, Wayne and Liberty games. SHS will jump out in front. X will make adjustments and play catchup all game. Then, it will be up to the defense to slam the door shut

That story has so many holes. He was actually going to South worked with some of their coaches all summer and the idiot coach said he had his next 2 qbs. Then he went to KR where he was told a freshman would never play varsity there. Trice gets the Wayne basketball job at Wayne and rest is history
Was Robertson the coach at the time?

No schools were still split believe his last name was Schaefer or something whoever took over after Broering
Right, it was Aaron Shaffer. I went to the very last North-South game and it was downright pathetic. But, I think Robertson was hired already and Shaffer was brought in just to close things out. But, I'm sure Robertson would have loved to have Braxton on that 2010 team with DePriest. They could have won State that year

Last edited:
But Wayne hadn't played Ignatius yet. Did everyone think X looked bad that night, or did they feel Wayne was just really good. I believe that was Minton's 1st year.
I thought it was a combination of factors— Wayne was better (that night) than they’d been during the season; X was worse (that night) than X had been; there was the unpredictable factor (e.g.- the missed call on the blocked punt)... just like the last election, some times the favorite doesn‘t win— and there are usually multiple factors that explain it... as noted by another poster, X lost that game big— and then Wayne went on to lose big to an Ig team that X demolished that year.

Why are you so negative towards SHS? Nobody knows when anyone will have a monster game.
I didn’t read his comment that way at all— he said nothing negative about “SHS”—if anything, it was more a comment on the difficulty of anyone having a big game against X—X usually has one of the best defenses in the state— and X has managed to shut down a LOT of good players (especially running the ball)— he was (indirectly) complimenting X’s defense (and coaching) not slamming SHS.

I can't wait to watch 4GX and Ohioriverboy42 go back and forth this week trying to convince the other that his team is going to win, LOL. Those two deserve each other...

I can't wait to watch 4GX and Ohioriverboy42 go back and forth this week trying to convince the other that his team is going to win, LOL. Those two deserve each other...
Then we will have PawPaw join shortly about who is a championship team

I didn’t read his comment that way at all— he said nothing negative about “SHS”—if anything, it was more a comment on the difficulty of anyone having a big game against X—X usually has one of the best defenses in the state— and X has managed to shut down a LOT of good players (especially running the ball)— he was (indirectly) complimenting X’s defense (and coaching) not slamming SHS.
In all of his posts, he's negative about SHS's chances in these games. They are all singing Liberty's praises and saying that was the end of the road. But I had complete confidence in the Cats, the way I do this week.

I am a neutral party. Easily two of the top coaches and their two top teams. The biggest advantage I would say goes to X and it’s schedule.
Yes, they always play a meat grinder schedule. But as we saw in 1999, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. SHS reminds me of Lima in 1996 who was the big underdog in the state tournament. After they beat Elder, they dethroned Ignatius who everyone said they had no chance against. I really think SHS is having that type of year, especially with the statement the defense made against Liberty.

Yes, they always play a meat grinder schedule. But as we saw in 1999, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. SHS reminds me of Lima in 1996 who was the big underdog in the state tournament. After they beat Elder, they dethroned Ignatius who everyone said they had no chance against. I really think SHS is having that type of year, especially with the statement the defense made against Liberty.

Good point. That would be great if The Douglas led Cats continues to build the program and played GCL and GMC schools in the regular season and build up some rivalries. Middletown and Springfield was good way back in the day. We need more high quality from SW Ohio in football and hoops.

Typical silly-arse comment. I made no prediction on X/Lakota West, or X/Elder, or X/Moeller, or X/Walnut Hills— and I will make no prediction on this one.

Last edited:
Good point. That would be great if The Douglas led Cats continues to build the program and played GCL and GMC schools in the regular season and build up some rivalries. Middletown and Springfield was good way back in the day. We need more high quality from SW Ohio in football and hoops.
Also, Springfield-Hamilton was one of the biggest rivalries in the State. I would really like to see SHS schedule regular season games with the GCL, GMC, McKinley and maybe even Ignatius. A few years back, Ignatius scheduled Northmont who lost but competed well.

Because as good as they are and talented, they haven’t been playing that well. They have beaten a lot of mediocre teams but not a large margin. I honestly thought Northmont was the better team. And OL were dismantling teams and best a heck of a Coffman team. They also had one common opponent in Fairmont. OL won 35-7 while Springfield won 28-21.

This X team is not the same team that lost to Cathedral; different QB (though Nolan played well in relief), and better pass-blocking by the offensive line (giving more time to throw). I also think the run-blocking has improved, as well— though it is still not the strength of this team... X ran it down the field at least twice (maybe three times) against LW’s very good defense— but then struggled to put it in the end zone running it (in fact, never did)— something that has been a bugaboo for X’s offense all season, against good defenses (e.g.- Brownsburg, Cathedral, Lakota West)... I have no idea if Springfield’s defense is as stout as those.

The games where X scored a lot of points, the offense was able to combine consistently good passing with the ability to both gain yards AND score with the run game. X had multiple rushing TDs against Elder, Moeller, Walnut, and Ig.

Because as good as they are and talented, they haven’t been playing that well. They have beaten a lot of mediocre teams but not a large margin. I honestly thought Northmont was the better team. And OL were dismantling teams and best a heck of a Coffman team. They also had one common opponent in Fairmont. OL won 35-7 while Springfield won 28-21.
But now what do you think with the Cats surging? Liberty and Coffman are supposed to be better than Northmont.