Division 1 State Semi: St. Xavier versus Springfield

I don't really see the GCL as a hump. Both games were winnable and SHS competed very well in both which were decided by 1 possession. SHS was a missed FG away from winning it this year. Last year,, it was a surprise 4th qtr onside kick that lead to a TD that was the difference. To me, a hump implies you're not competing at your opponent's level but that's just not the case. At the state level, it takes a little luck too.That's been the only difference IMO. But I'm very impressed with how SHS competed both years.
Got to learn to finish the job

Got to learn to finish the job
Um, SHS got to State in back to back years and played very well both times and had possession with a chance to win at the end both times. That doesn't happen if you don't know how to win games. Ultimately, only one team will win it all. Considering how PC was ranked no. 1 all season and nationally rated before they lost 44-3, I'm very happy with how SHS did. They needed a little bit of luck that they didn't have. But that's it. And Pawpaw, when your team can get past the regional semifinals and barely loses to the state champion by 2 points in the State tournament, then let's talk.

Um, SHS got to State in back to back years and played very well both times and had possession with a chance to win at the end both times. That doesn't happen if you don't know how to win games. Ultimately, only one team will win it all. Considering how PC was ranked no. 1 all season and nationally rated before they lost 44-3, I'm very happy with how SHS did. They needed a little bit of luck that they didn't have. But that's it. And Pawpaw, when your team can get past the regional semifinals and barely loses to the state champion by 2 points in the State tournament, then let's talk.
No. My team has state trophies. We’ll talk when yours does. Luck. Now that’s funny Takes more than that

No. My team has state trophies. We’ll talk when yours does. Luck. Now that’s funny Takes more than that
A missed FG is dumb luck that your team had. Also, a flag that reversed what would have been a 4th down game ending INT can be called luck too. So, you should know all about luck.

A missed FG is dumb luck that your team had. Also, a flag that reversed what would have been a 4th down game ending INT can be called luck too. So, you should know all about luck.
Now the excuses. That’s funny

it wasn’t luck. Gotta play all 4 quarters. And like I said finish the job. Review that 1999 tape again and get back to me

Now the excuses. That’s funny

it wasn’t luck. Gotta play all 4 quarters. And like I said finish the job. Review that 1999 tape again and get back to me
It's the truth. The refs bailed you out against Lakota same way the refs bailed out Clemson against OSU. When our kicker missed the FG, everyone on your side had your fingers crossed and crucifixes out, right? But that's not luck? Your team got bailed out. Mine didn't. And you have the audacity to deny luck has anything to do with this game? You people love being lucky. You thrive on it. You would be regional runner-up or a state semifinalist without it. And btw, have you pulled the '99 tape back out of your a** yet?

Last edited:
It's the truth. The refs bailed you out against Lakota same way the refs bailed out Clemson against OSU. When our kicker missed the FG, everyone on your side had your fingers crossed and crucifixes out, right? But that's not luck? And btw, have you pulled the '99 tape back out of your a** yet?
1) I’m pretty sure that HTFF is NOT an X fan— he’s mainly just pulling your chain...
2) To be fair, the only reason that the missed FG for Springfield would have resulted in the lead in the game was because a bad snap (by X’s backup center, after the starter was injured earlier in the game) led to X’s first missed PAT of the season... that is “bad luck” too— so both sides experienced some of that.
3) It was a huge “bail out” (I don’t like using that term, but it’s what you called it) to get that pass interference call on 4th down against LW, late in the game— but, again, to be fair, the call was NOT even slightly questionable— the PI was blatantly obvious— perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the LW defense made a mistake that “bailed out” X late in that game— but it’s appropriate to also acknowledge that defenders sometimes commit such fouls when they know they are beat, and would otherwise have given up a big play— which then implies that X “made its own break(s)”...
4) Focusing only on the missed FG by Springfield, and not recognizing that MANY other plays in the rest of that game would have been played differently, had X NOT been leading by 2 points at the time, fails to acknoledge that X was in scoring range again, late in the game (with a first down inside the Springfield 40-yard line), and chose only to run the ball 3 times (and Springfield KNEW that X would run it), rather than pass, even on 3rd and long, because the goal (at that point, with the lead) was to try to use up the remaining game time— not make forward progress— so it was not worth risking pass plays that would have stopped the clock... there is every reason to think that X (having moved the ball down the field from its own end, to that point) might well have advanced the ~10 yards more needed to kick a “go-ahead” FG, at that point in the game— if it had been needed.

It's the truth. The refs bailed you out against Lakota same way the refs bailed out Clemson against OSU. When our kicker missed the FG, everyone on your side had your fingers crossed and crucifixes out, right? But that's not luck? Your team got bailed out. Mine didn't. And you have the audacity to deny luck has anything to do with this game? You people love being lucky. You thrive on it. You would be regional runner-up or a state semifinalist without it. And btw, have you pulled the '99 tape back out of your a** yet?
You brought up the relevance of the 1999 tape. Not me. Read your post

I predict. Springfield will meet. X/Elder/Lakota west next year. Maybe. Speaking of luck ... how about the fact you snuck by Northmont on that cancellation. Whatever
And alas. The result will be the same. Another loss. Please make a note of it and get back to me after a thorough review of highlights and press clippings. Skip the 1999 tape you mentioned ...
Happy Thanksgiving. On my way out of town. See you next year

1) I’m pretty sure that HTFF is NOT an X fan— he’s mainly just pulling your chain...
2) To be fair, the only reason that the missed FG for Springfield would have resulted in the lead in the game was because a bad snap (by X’s backup center, after the starter was injured earlier in the game) led to X’s first missed PAT of the season... that is “bad luck” too— so both sides experienced some of that.
3) It was a huge “bail out” (I don’t like using that term, but it’s what you called it) to get that pass interference call on 4th down against LW, late in the game— but, again, to be fair, the call was NOT even slightly questionable— the PI was blatantly obvious— perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the LW defense made a mistake that “bailed out” X late in that game— but it’s appropriate to also acknowledge that defenders sometimes commit such fouls when they know they are beat, and would otherwise have given up a big play— which then implies that X “made its own break(s)”...
4) Focusing only on the missed FG by Springfield, and not recognizing that MANY other plays in the rest of that game would have been played differently, had X NOT been leading by 2 points at the time, fails to acknoledge that X was in scoring range again, late in the game (with a first down inside the Springfield 40-yard line), and chose only to run the ball 3 times (and Springfield KNEW that X would run it), rather than pass, even on 3rd and long, because the goal (at that point, with the lead) was to try to use up the remaining game time— not make forward progress— so it was not worth risking pass plays that would have stopped the clock... there is every reason to think that X (having moved the ball down the field from its own end, to that point) might well have advanced the ~10 yards more needed to kick a “go-ahead” FG, at that point in the game— if it had been needed.
1 - dunno
2- I never denied luck is part of the game. That's my point actually.
3 - it was luck the refs actually threw the flag that late in the game. Usually, refs don't like to throw flags if they feel it will affect the outcome. Not saying it wasn't legit, but it was luck the ref was willing to throw it given that it was 4th down with under 1 minute left given there's no indication the holding would have stopped the INT
4- both teams were outstanding and played outstanding. But, X utilized luck, i.e., missed FG and a blocked FG, to take the W. Not taking anything away from X, but it was 2 very good evenly matched teams with great defenses. Usually, whoever has that little bit of luck will be the difference. I did not come away feeling the better team won, or didn't win. I liked them both.

You brought up the relevance of the 1999 tape. Not me. Read your post

I predict. Springfield will meet. X/Elder/Lakota west next year. Maybe. Speaking of luck ... how about the fact you snuck by Northmont on that cancellation. Whatever
And alas. The result will be the same. Another loss. Please make a note of it and get back to me after a thorough review of highlights and press clippings. Skip the 1999 tape you mentioned ...
Happy Thanksgiving. On my way out of town. See you next year
Whore! You son of a bitch!! And I never denied SHS had luck at times like you dipsh***. And ill see you next year alright, in Piqua, you SOB.

Whore! You son of a bitch!! And I never denied SHS had luck at times like you dipsh***. And ill see you next year alright, in Piqua, you SOB.
You’re gonna blow out a blood vessel— he’s TOTALLY ragging you, because he KNOWS you‘re going to respond like this...
It’s just a game, played by 15-18 year old kids...who (as my son pointed out, after X won) are more focused on girls, getting into college, or their future work career, than they are on these games— for a good bit of their waking hours—because most of them will never play a down of football after HS.

You’re gonna blow out a blood vessel— he’s TOTALLY ragging you, because he KNOWS you‘re going to respond like this...
It’s just a game, played by 15-18 year old kids...who (as my son pointed out, after X won) are more focused on girls, getting into college, or their future work career, than they are on these games— for a good bit of their waking hours—because most of them will never play a down of football after HS.
What does that have to do with anything?

Luck? That is what you blame SHS not being able to convert 5 turnovers into anything more than 10 points on? Was it luck that X's FG kicker hit two, and SHS's kicker got one blocked and missed another? Is it luck that Clifford caught 9 balls for over 100 yards on your shut down defense? Maybe it's just unlucky that SHS got rung up for 12 penalties?

And if you want to go back to the LW game, it's just lucky that the ref did his job with an obvious call? And it's just luck that allowed the X offense to move another 50+ yards down the field for the score against the top pair of corners in the state? Probably complete luck that X's receiver ran a perfect corner route and the QB put a dime in his hands? And pure luck that they held West to under 180 total yards?

Want your team to get bailed out? Don't have 12 plus penalties. Convert on a red zone turnover. Use your overwhelming speed and all those studs you like to brag about your team having to score more than 10 points. Otherwise quit making lame excuses for your team losing (again). We all had to hear about SHS not deserving to lose against Northmont, and now it's only luck that you got beaten again. Everyone has heard enough.

Luck? That is what you blame SHS not being able to convert 5 turnovers into anything more than 10 points on? Was it luck that X's FG kicker hit two, and SHS's kicker got one blocked and missed another? Is it luck that Clifford caught 9 balls for over 100 yards on your shut down defense? Maybe it's just unlucky that SHS got rung up for 12 penalties?

And if you want to go back to the LW game, it's just lucky that the ref did his job with an obvious call? And it's just luck that allowed the X offense to move another 50+ yards down the field for the score against the top pair of corners in the state? Probably complete luck that X's receiver ran a perfect corner route and the QB put a dime in his hands? And pure luck that they held West to under 180 total yards?

Want your team to get bailed out? Don't have 12 plus penalties. Convert on a red zone turnover. Use your overwhelming speed and all those studs you like to brag about your team having to score more than 10 points. Otherwise quit making lame excuses for your team losing (again). We all had to hear about SHS not deserving to lose against Northmont, and now it's only luck that you got beaten again. Everyone has heard enough.
X played well. But they had luck on their side too. The way they did against Lakota week before when the refs bailed them out, just like Clemson.