Division 1 State Semi-Final: Mentor (9-1) vs Pickerington Central (10-0)

FightingCardinal

A rematch of last year's Semi-Final won by PC 28-21 and the 2017 State Championship won by PC 56-28. Can Mentor finally exact some revenge?

Mentor is going to need the refs to help them even more than they helped PC in last year's game. If Mentor can get the 14-17 or 21 point favoritism we saw last year, they can scrape it out like PC last year.

We'll have to see. I think Mentor loses by 2 scores or more. Something like 35-17.

It would be pathetic if PC lost to this Mentor team.

Mentor is going to need the refs to help them even more than they helped PC in last year's game. If Mentor can get the 14-17 or 21 point favoritism we saw last year, they can scrape it out like PC last year.

We'll have to see. I think Mentor loses by 2 scores or more. Something like 35-17.

It would be pathetic if PC lost to this Mentor team.
Yep, it's mental.

PC by couple scores.

I wish this was for the state title. Nothing against St. X and Springfield but these are the two best teams left in D1. Should be a good one and maybe Pick Centrals first real test of the season. I expect the Tigers to win but revenge and motivation can go a long way for Mentor.

I wish this was for the state title. Nothing against St. X and Springfield but these are the two best teams left in D1. Should be a good one and maybe Pick Centrals first real test of the season. I expect the Tigers to win but revenge and motivation can go a long way for Mentor.
St X is better than Mentor this year .PC by 17

When I have some say it's not mental, trust me, it's mental. Heck, there's been complaints for a solid week complaining about this matchup and Cincy's hand in this.

For the record, I'm pulling for Mentor. But dammit, you act skirred.

I don't think anyone in Cincy has complained about a R2/R4 matchup; there was one poster who is confused about how the OHSAA does the semifinal matchups.
Good luck to Mentor and Pick Central, Pick is favored, but I could see Mentor winning.

I don’t know if you are correct in your assessment— I think X (depending on how their young team, with 16 junior starters, continues to react to the challenge in the playoffs) might be the best team this year— but, till proven otherwise, I will concede that point to last year’s champs, PC... but, I AM glad that X does not have to beat BOTH PC and Mentor, to win the state championship— I do think that those are two of the THREE best teams in the state...

None of it matters, though, if X does not play better this week, in its matchup with Springfield.

It's not mental. PC and X are the best teams in the state this year.

This Mentor team is our 10th or 11th best team we've had over the past 20 years ....

Mentor will have to play their best game of the year and have PC slip up a few times to have a shot.

Final 4 is still a great year no matter what for this team.

You guys are sandbagging big time. Any team that’s good enough to win Region 1 has to pretty damn good, if not great.

Your QB was a beast last year as a junior so I’m sure he’s going to be hard to stop. And Vernon was a force on defense.

When I have some say it's not mental, trust me, it's mental. Heck, there's been complaints for a solid week complaining about this matchup and Cincy's hand in this.

For the record, I'm pulling for Mentor. But dammit, you act skirred.
I was complaining at the rebracket because if liberty won it made no sense. Now it's fine but they are supposed to do it at the final 4 level. Now they magically change it to the regional final level where they made the decision

I don't think anyone in Cincy has complained about a R2/R4 matchup; there was one poster who is confused about how the OHSAA does the semifinal matchups.
Good luck to Mentor and Pick Central, Pick is favored, but I could see Mentor winning.
I'm not confused. You rebracket when the final 4 is set. Not before the games are played. We played liberty in a final 4 game three years ago

Of course no one is cincy is complaining about this. You got the weakest region in the final 4 for the second year in a row.

I don’t know if you are correct in your assessment— I think X (depending on how their young team, with 16 junior starters, continues to react to the challenge in the playoffs) might be the best team this year— but, till proven otherwise, I will concede that point to last year’s champs, PC... but, I AM glad that X does not have to beat BOTH PC and Mentor, to win the state championship— I do think that those are two of the THREE best teams in the state...

None of it matters, though, if X does not play better this week, in its matchup with Springfield.
Of course you are glad . R4 avoided PC for the second year in a row . Yet people bashed me for saying I'd like to not have to have to beat both ....

You guys are sandbagging big time. Any team that’s good enough to win Region 1 has to pretty damn good, if not great.

Your QB was a beast last year as a junior so I’m sure he’s going to be hard to stop. And Vernon was a force on defense.
I'm not sandbagging at all. I've been saying this about Mentor all year long. This team is good but it's our 10th or 11th best team since 2002. I hope to be shocked and that they surprise me. It's 2020 so who knows. But I've always had pc and st x as the top 2 with us and a few others right behind.

Unlike a few PC posters on here who get self esteem from watching the team succeed on tv or in the stands, I realize I don't effect the outcome. I'd hope the mentor team is confident they can win any game. I'm just a fan watching my alma mater so I can think differently. I don't gain anything by bragging about them or being cautious of a game on a message board

Last edited:
The game will be at New Philly
Very centralized location but that stadium holds 4400 according to what I'm reading. That's 660 fans at 15 percent capacity. Why would they go at such a small stadium with the covid rules ? That means you'd fill less than half of the 1500 fan rule if that is the smaller number ..

Stupid ohsaa once again if that's the case

Reactions: 4GX
I just hope whoever wins this game can beat St. X. My Ohio pride doesn’t want to deal with the “best team” in Ohio having two losses to INDIANA schools that have losses to other Indiana Schools, even though Brownsburg and Cathedral are great programs

I'm not confused. You rebracket when the final 4 is set. Not before the games are played. We played liberty in a final 4 game three years ago

Of course no one is cincy is complaining about this. You got the weakest region in the final 4 for the second year in a row.

This bracket isn’t a surprise at all. Even if Liberty did win, wouldn’t make sense to have two Columbus schools in one semi, and Cleveland-Cincy in another.

It was pretty much always Region 1 vs. 2 and Region 3 vs. 4, but with how much the demographic of Region 2 has changed, it will most likely always be Region 1 vs. Region 3 and Region 2 vs. Region 4 for the foreseeable future.

This bracket isn’t a surprise at all. Even if Liberty did win, wouldn’t make sense to have two Columbus schools in one semi, and Cleveland-Cincy in another.

It was pretty much always Region 1 vs. 2 and Region 3 vs. 4, but with how much the demographic of Region 2 has changed, it will most likely always be Region 1 vs. Region 3 and Region 2 vs. Region 4 for the foreseeable future.
Not really. If Liberty won it would make more sense to have r1 vs r2. It was like that in 2017 so why would that change now? PC and r4 were in the other

With a Dayton school in, it makes sense. Had a Coffman or liberty won it should be r1 vs r2

It makes sense now but they did it before the matchups were set which isn't right

Very centralized location but that stadium holds 4400 according to what I'm reading. That's 660 fans at 15 percent capacity. Why would they go at such a small stadium with the covid rules ? That means you'd fill less than half of the 1500 fan rule if that is the smaller number ..

Stupid ohsaa once again if that's the case

Very well could be there are slim pickings of who is willing to host

Nobody ever said 2 would play 3. The argument was as setup 1 vs 2 3 vs 4. It is moot now based on teams that made it thru.