Division 1 State Finals: Elder(12-2) vs. Pickerington Central(13-1)

The OL is a giant question mark. I think James was the Center for the JV. He might be able to slide to RG, Singler should be pretty set at RT.

LT-?
LG-Beckenhaupt
C- ?
RG-James
RT- Singler

That LT spot worries me. Perhaps Beckenhaupt could slide to LT, but that's an awfully big switch from playing RG this year. Maybe they can bring Bass up as a Soph and slide Singler over to LT? Maybe Jacob Good, who played on the OL from Frosh-JV will fill in one of the other spots? He was a backup DL this year.
Beckenhaupt will probably move out to LT. That's usually where the best all around OL plays. James will start somewhere on the interior. Those are really the only guarantees. Tucker and Conner could both get looks but they are both primarily DL guys. Singler probably has a good chance at guard but doesn't have the height for tackle. Not sure on the other frosh OL like Bass, Monk, Sims. Depends on their size and how much weight and strength they put on in the off season.

You sure Mahaffey has been residing in NW School District? He was going to NW because his Dad was a District Employee? How come his Dad was employed by any District after $$ come up missing during his time at Talawanda? Stealing $$ from kids/teenagers activities is awfully low! Moeller supposedly always cheating/recruiting but never turned in for wrongdoing, why is that? Is it because Principal Carl knows system/Rules better than anyone else? Adults lying on Paperwork? How many transfers (if any)did the dreadful Moeller Football team have this year?
Quarterback was a sycamore transfer.

Beckenhaupt will probably move out to LT. That's usually where the best all around OL plays. James will start somewhere on the interior. Those are really the only guarantees. Tucker and Conner could both get looks but they are both primarily DL guys. Singler probably has a good chance at guard but doesn't have the height for tackle. Not sure on the other frosh OL like Bass, Monk, Sims. Depends on their size and how much weight and strength they put on in the off season.
I agree, it’s just not that easy to move from G to T. You’ve got to have good balance and lateral movt to play T.

For those that covered off on the play of the of kids who donned the Purple and White this season I couldn't agree more and the mark they left on Elder Football they own as a one of the best teams we have had. I'd like to add that the coaches had a lot to do with the success of this team and while I know its easy to question every decision that is made (its human nature), the fact remains that the Monday prior to the St. Ed's game this team was reinvented by the significant changes that were made on defense moving 6 or so kids either to a new position or swapping out kids on the sidelines into a starting role. The majority of us questioned the moves as too many too fast and it showed during the Ed's game. It was almost as if we put our kids into a cage with a bear and to figure it out one play at a time. The result of that game built that bridge of success whether we agree or not.
  1. It minimized the number of reps our 4 offensive guys had on defense (Joe, Luke, David and Carter) so they could focus more on offense.
  2. Gave the defensive players room to learn the rest of the season the roles and responsibilities of the scheme our DC had.
  3. Allowed specialty players to grown the roles that were very important down the stretch. Example: Thamman taking over duties in all facets of special teams to allow Ramsey and Sabato on offense & Deters to focus on being one of the best DB's in the city. FACT
  4. Created a dynamic confidence in the defense to explore playing with a short field on kickoffs and punts. There is no way in hell that a coach would do those things unless they were confident we could run the clock and with the offense we had could counter score if a TD was given up. FACT
The results of that Monday decision/moves IMO played a significant role in the success of this team and it was done by the same coaches we ALL question in this forum and will continue to do so next season. Yeah we lost on Friday, but the road to get there was fun to watch and chat about!

Hats off to Head Coach Ramsey and Coach Currin and the rest of the staff for making the tough but right decisions to get the Panthers to the final game of the season.

Not to mention game-planning and halftime adjustments in the playoffs were very, very good. Also took some risks that ended up working.

I never understood the constant rag on Elder's coaches. When you recognize/accept these kids are never going to come from the most athletic of backgrounds, I think it's a major credit to Elder's coaches that they keep them so competitive year in and year out (in multiple sports). The kids get credit there too, but the coaches get the most out of their players. That's the sign of great coaches.

Last edited:
For those that covered off on the play of the of kids who donned the Purple and White this season I couldn't agree more and the mark they left on Elder Football they own as a one of the best teams we have had. I'd like to add that the coaches had a lot to do with the success of this team and while I know its easy to question every decision that is made (its human nature), the fact remains that the Monday prior to the St. Ed's game this team was reinvented by the significant changes that were made on defense moving 6 or so kids either to a new position or swapping out kids on the sidelines into a starting role. The majority of us questioned the moves as too many too fast and it showed during the Ed's game. It was almost as if we put our kids into a cage with a bear and to figure it out one play at a time. The result of that game built that bridge of success whether we agree or not.
  1. It minimized the number of reps our 4 offensive guys had on defense (Joe, Luke, David and Carter) so they could focus more on offense.
  2. Gave the defensive players room to learn the rest of the season the roles and responsibilities of the scheme our DC had.
  3. Allowed specialty players to grown the roles that were very important down the stretch. Example: Thamman taking over duties in all facets of special teams to allow Ramsey and Sabato on offense & Deters to focus on being one of the best DB's in the city. FACT
  4. Created a dynamic confidence in the defense to explore playing with a short field on kickoffs and punts. There is no way in hell that a coach would do those things unless they were confident we could run the clock and with the offense we had could counter score if a TD was given up. FACT
The results of that Monday decision/moves IMO played a significant role in the success of this team and it was done by the same coaches we ALL question in this forum and will continue to do so next season. Yeah we lost on Friday, but the road to get there was fun to watch and chat about!

Hats off to Head Coach Ramsey and Coach Currin and the rest of the staff for making the tough but right decisions to get the Panthers to the final game of the season.

Those were excellent moves. However, just bc some of us might question some in game decisions doesn’t mean we think we know better than the coaches.

What surprised me is that Pickerington never really wore down despite having players playing both ways. I thought with Elder leading 14-7 at the start of the 4th quarter that Elder would do what Elder does and wear them out in the 4th. PC defense stepped up in the 4th quarter and the PC QB took over to lead his team to the win. This was an incredible season, but to get so close it is really hard for the team I'm sure. Despite being really talented in several positions, I think the coaching staff and players really maximized everything they had to get that far. They really did a great job. Congratulations on a fine season.