Division 1 State Finals: Elder(12-2) vs. Pickerington Central(13-1)

For fans going to the game. These plays are NOT reviewable. Please don't be that guy yelling review it on a questionable pass interference call.

Article V. Non-Reviewable plays

There are some plays that are not reviewable.

Those plays are as follows: Section 5.01 Judgement Plays
(a) Erroneous whistle sounded.
(b) Intentional grounding
(c) Illegal bat or Illegal kick
(d) Illegal blocks
(e) Ineligible receiver(s) downfield
(f) Pass Interference, offensive or defensive
(g) Momentum
(h) Any aspect of a play that is not specifically mentioned in Article IV.

I bought my tickets last night and have a question that I hope someone can answer. The tickets say general admission but have a seat location like they are reserved. Is anyone able to tell me which is correct - GA or reserved? Thanks in advance.
I think that’s the only way they can sell tickets for Fawcett. I would genuinely hope there’s no real assigned seating, who wants to be seated with the other team’s fans?

I would not think they are assigned seating. I purchased 5 tickets all at once and 3 tickets were together and the other 2 were together but not all 5 were together. So hopefully its just general seating.

Did Deters cover Stephens the entire game last week? I wonder if E will do the same with Styles. Maybe the better question is do you Spy Crenshaw? Maybe with Sandhas? Crenshaw is every bit as athletic and fast as Smoot, but also more experienced and less apt to making bad throws. He was the starting QB when they won state 2 yrs ago, so he’s not going to be rattled by this environment.

I feel like Elder has a big advantage up front against PC. The old cliche that the game is won/lost on the line generally holds true. If Elder can stop their QB I think Elder wins. PC has the better athletes, but if Elder can control the line of scrimmage they are in good shape. PC also has several players going both ways. The 4th quarter should be Elders.

Omar you going to the game?

I sure hope so. Record pretty good with Pboy/Omar in attendance! Congratulations to the All State guys as well as the rest of the team! Everyone had to play a role in making it to the State Finals.

GO PANTHERS!!!!!

As a 2003 State Champion I hope the boys enjoy this, soak it all in. I know most of us complain about the travel but when these boys show up to Canton on the day of the biggest moment of their lives to this point they then get a private tour of the NFL Hall of Fame and that’s when it always sinks in. I hope they soak in every second of this and play thier hearts out execute to thier best. Win or lose I am proud to call them all fellow panther football alums! It’s been a special year.. Let’s finish off! Go Panthers!

As a 2003 State Champion I hope the boys enjoy this, soak it all in. I know most of us complain about the travel but when these boys show up to Canton on the day of the biggest moment of their lives to this point they then get a private tour of the NFL Hall of Fame and that’s when it always sinks in. I hope they soak in every second of this and play thier hearts out execute to thier best. Win or lose I am proud to call them all fellow panther football alums! It’s been a special year.. Let’s finish off! Go Panthers!
Couldnt agree more! Up State is Canton!

Things to do in Canton outside of watching La Salle, Elder battle for state football titles

The Greater Catholic League-South will make its presence known in Stark County this week as a sea of red invades Thursday followed by "purple rain" Friday. La Salle High School's Lancers tangle for the Ohio Division II football title Thursday at 7 p.m., with Elder going for the Division I crown Friday night at 8 p.m. at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton.

That leaves several daylight hours for observation should you not be spending the time on the highway. And, if you don't have your lodging take care of by now, you're probably out of luck if you were after a room near the stadium. The GCL-South made their presence known after La Salle and Elder both advanced. By Sunday, a majority of nearby rooms for Dec. 5-7 were sold out no matter your rewards club status.

Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium sits adjacent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio

Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium sits adjacent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio (Photo: Submitted)

Should you want to roll the dice on a vacancy, VisitCanton.com has several options or you can test your luck on any number of travel pricing services.

HOF GPS 4 OHSAA FB
As has been previously noted, Greater Cincinnati teams travel further than most for state titles. However, the Stark County arrangement with the OHSAA has been popular with administrators (cheaper with many volunteers) so don't expect to see football finals in Cincinnati anytime soon.

So, driving wise from La Salle or Elder, it's about 240 miles to Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. Google says it will take you three hours and 45 minutes following I-71 North. You can use 71, then 70 East and 77 North for an additional five minutes or 71 North to OH 16 East for and additional 10-12 minutes.

For perspective, those coming from Cleveland are less than an hour away. For more perspective, Pittsburgh is considerably closer to Canton at less than two hours. The actual stadium address for GPS purposes is 1835 Harrison Avenue NW, Canton, OH 44708.

La Salle football team members enjoy an enthusiastic sendoff from students, faculty and fans as they head to Canton for the Division II state final with Massillon Washington.

La Salle football team members enjoy an enthusiastic sendoff from students, faculty and fans as they head to Canton for the Division II state final with Massillon Washington. (Photo: Thanks to Emily C. Buckley/La Salle)

Tickets, please
As for the games, tickets are $15, but via the OHSAA website, those wishing to watch 12-2 La Salle vs. 14-0 Massillon Washington Thursday can use the code OHSAA2 on the Hall of Fame Stadium ticket website and get one for $11.

The La Salle Lancers are ready to take the field in the OHSAA Division II state football semifinal against Toledo-Central Catholic, Nov. 29, 2019.

The La Salle Lancers are ready to take the field in the OHSAA Division II state football semifinal against Toledo-Central Catholic, Nov. 29, 2019. (Photo: GEOFF BLANKENSHIP FOR THE ENQUIRER)

There are $17 premium seats and $15 general admission for 12-2 Elder against 13-1 Pickerington Central. The coupon code OHSAA7 qualifies for an $11 ticket. The stadium seats 23,000.

Elder fans celebrate during the Panthers' 31-24 win over Springfield, Friday, Nov. 29, 2019.

Elder fans celebrate during the Panthers' 31-24 win over Springfield, Friday, Nov. 29, 2019. (Photo: TONY TRIBBLE FOR THE ENQUIRER)

Parking
A couple of lots are recommended by the OHSAA site for $10. One lot can be located on GPS at 1750 Clarendon Avenue NW and the other has limited public parking at 2516 Fulton Road NW. The lots open two hours before the games. Sorry, GCL-South fans, but there is no tailgating nor alcohol allowed.

There is also residential parking if you are adventurous. You may get a free spot or residents may hit you up for a few bucks given their proximity to the event.

What can I bring to the stadium?
The "no" list includes umbrellas, laser pointers, alcohol, food and drinks, beach balls, selfie sticks, signage and strollers. Like many stadiums, there is a clear bag policy. There is an interesting option on the approved list. If you're like actor Christopher Walken and you "need more cowbell," they are welcome.

Things to do
Well, there are five other state championships being played Friday-Saturday, so there's no shortage of football. There's also the World Youth Football Championships going on this week, which probably also snatched up hotel rooms. The tikes are playing at the Hall of Fame Youth Sports Complex

Naturally, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is an attraction and even if Ken Anderson is not a member, former Cincinnati Bengal Anthony Munoz is along with team founder Paul Brown. Admission for ages 13-64 is $26, over 65 is $22, children 6-12 are $19 and those under 6 are admitted free. Parking for the museum is $10 and it's open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

JANUARY 8, 1989: Anthony Munoz at Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio. Walking off to chants of Who dey! Who dey! Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals! Anthony Munoz leaves the Jungle, the nickname for Riverfront Stadium when the Bengals roared to Super Bowl XXIII. The all-pro tackle responds with a We're No. 1 sign. The Enquirer/John Samora CAPTION INFORMATION FROM CINCINNATI MOMENTS PAGE 127

JANUARY 8, 1989: Anthony Munoz at Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio. Walking off to chants of "Who dey! Who dey! Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals!" Anthony Munoz leaves the Jungle, the nickname for Riverfront Stadium when the Bengals roared to Super Bowl XXIII. The all-pro tackle responds with a "We're No. 1" sign. The Enquirer/John Samora CAPTION INFORMATION FROM "CINCINNATI MOMENTS" PAGE 127 (Photo: File/John Samora)

Speaking of Paul Brown, he has his own museum in Massillon at 121 Lincoln Way East. During this week there are exhibits on high school rivalries and the evolution of the football jersey.

Staying with the sports theme, the Canton Charge of the NBA G-League plays Thursday for those not going to the La Salle game. Of local note, former Xavier Musketeer J.P. Macura is a member of the developmental team of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Also, if you can't wait until February for the OHSAA swimming and diving finals, the C.T. Branin Natatorium is nearby should you need a solid whiff of chlorine. It is at McKinley Senior High School.

That school, of course, is named for President William McKinley. The 25th President of the United States has a presidential library where you can read why he was assassinated six months into his second term in 1901. His gravesite also features 108 steps should you need some extra aerobic activity. His wife, Ida Saxton-McKinley, also has a historic First Ladies Library and Visitor Center where you can learn about former Presidential wives.

Food and drink
Like any decent-sized town, there are plenty of chains and notable local joints. A few listed in a recent Trip Advisor ranking were Bender's Tavern, TD Tailgate Grill and The Bistro at Gervasi Vineyard. Should your team win Thursday or Friday, everything will taste good.

Weather should be comparable to what it’s been the entire playoff. Highs in low 40s, lows in mid 20s. No rain or wind expected.