Division 1 Semi Final: Archbishop Moeller (13-1) vs Springfield (12-1)

Who wins and by how much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hats off to Springfield for overcoming several key turnovers and limiting the Moeller Offense. In my opinion Mo Douglas outcoached Mark Elder. Springfield tried to give the game away and Moeller still couldn't win. The Springfield QB is impressive.

For Springfield to win next week they will need to limit the turnovers and cleanup the penalties.
Not bad for a small town hick.

It was only a matter of time. Put Moeller on a neutral field and a lot of their strength goes away. Let’s be honest: The dog and pony show Moeller pulled this season with their hired-gun DJ was more or less out-and-out cheating. Pumping the music up to god knows how many decibels and not stopping the music until the opponent’s snap, which is totally illegal under OHSAA by-laws.

Well, Moeller faced the music tonight, and I bet it doesn’t sound too good.

Maybe their DJ can blast some upbeat songs to cheer them up.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I am happy for the GWOC, but I still have more respect for last year's Cats. 3 of the 4 GWOC state appearances were by move-in QBs (Miller & Deweaver with Wayne, and now Shondelyer from Arcanum). Smoot was the only Springfield kid that played where he grew up. Thigpen came from Xenia too. Same reason I won't cheer for the Elks in Bball this year - 3 new move-ins for Cupps. The last 2 years the Elks Bball had only Centerville kids & did it without any move-ins.
And it's Cupp's fault they and their parents wanted to play for him? How many "move-ins" wanted to play for Petrocelli at Alter, or Turvene at Chaminade back in the day? Should their fans have quit cheering for them too?

And it's Cupp's fault they and their parents wanted to play for him? How many "move-ins" wanted to play for Petrocelli at Alter, or Turvene at Chaminade back in the day? Should their fans have quit cheering for them too?
Add Bob Gregg to that list. Centerville football was nothing before he came. During the glory years when they were pretty much the one and only premier Dayton area football program, I'm sure people moved to Centerville so their kids could play there. It's part of being a dynasty. The hypocrisy and jealousy of these trolls is nothing short of breathtaking.

SHS penalties and poor Special Teams play kept Moeller in this game.
And bad, unforced turnovers. The one on the kickoff they got away with. The one on the punt, poor decision by Brown, set up an easy game tying TD.

But, let's also be honest, some really bad play calling from Moeller really helped Springfield, especially that call on 4th and less than 1. I, for one, humbly thank Elder for that decision.

Springfield was impressive. A QB who can sling it and weapons who can flat out fly.

What happened to the Moe starting QB for the first 12 games? Was it injury, discipline, or other? If they benched that kid it had better have been a great reason, b/c it may have cost them a state championship .

Moe's offense was (in a sense) like Colerain in their prime. Running game = unstoppable, but when it's 3rd and long or they are trailing and have to throw = vulnerable.

Not sure why they got cute and went away from Marshall. Those 18 seniors will regret this for a long long time.

Last edited:
Just got back from the game.
Springfield QB under pressure all night, remained elusive and was incredibly accurate. Rating = 176.6.

By contrast Moeller's QB was horribly inaccurate. 3 of 16 with 1 interception. Rating = 20.4. He shows alot of promise and looks well for the future. However, coaches shouldn't have put him in this late in the season. He needs to look at more than his primary receiver. There were others wide open underneath. There were several times that Marshall went out and was completely uncovered. Instead he throws the long ball to the other side of the field.

Some of the most horrible play calling I've seen in a long time. If you're not getting those long pass plays across to the other side of the field, should've done more short yardage high percentage pass plays, just enough to spread the field out. Then they'd get 10yrds every rush. Without a passing game, Moeller's offense became one-dimensional. Whether they ran Marshall or Weider, it was the same 3 or 4 rushing plays the whole game. Then there was that 4th and 1 mid 4th quarter. Completely bizarre. Just run one of the same 3 or 4 rushing plays you've been running the whole game and you're going to get that one yard.

This one's on the coaches.

St. Edward coaches: Hint - Springfield cannot run the ball.

Last edited:
Just got back from the game.
Springfield QB under pressure all night, remained elusive and was incredibly accurate. Rating = 176.6.

By contrast Moeller's QB was horribly inaccurate. 3 of 16 with 1 interception. Rating = 20.4. He shows alot of promise and looks well for the future. However, coaches shouldn't have put him in this late in the season. He needs to look at more than his primary receiver. There were others wide open underneath. There were several times that Marshall went out and was completely uncovered. Instead he throws the long ball to the other side of the field.

Some of the most horrible play calling I've seen in a long time. If you're not getting those long pass plays across to the other side of the field, should've done more short yardage high percentage pass plays, just enough to spread the field out. Then they'd get 10yrds every rush. Without a passing game, Moeller's offense became one-dimensional. Whether they ran Marshall or Weider, it was the same 3 or 4 rushing plays the whole game. Then there was that 4th and 1 mid 4th quarter. Completely bizarre. Just run one of the same 3 or 4 rushing plays you've been running the whole game and you're going to get that one yard.

This one's on the coaches.

St. Edward coaches: Hint - Springfield cannot run the ball.
Springfield sealed it with a 30 yard run on 3rd down at the end remember?

SHS will have trouble on the line on both sides of the ball
On offense. They will be behind the chains. First from sacks. Then holding calls. They will again have minimal running game

on d. They will not be able to plug holes and stop the run.
Really?

1669456779036.png

I bet you went through a lot of tissues looking at this pic.

I’ll save you from having to reply:” no you probably did crying because Springfield won.”
This is a win-win. You can still go around saying Fairmont beat SHS this year. Of course, you won't wanna mention the playoff rematch...

I am happy for the GWOC, but I still have more respect for last year's Cats. 3 of the 4 GWOC state appearances were by move-in QBs (Miller & Deweaver with Wayne, and now Shondelyer from Arcanum). Smoot was the only Springfield kid that played where he grew up. Thigpen came from Xenia too. Same reason I won't cheer for the Elks in Bball this year - 3 new move-ins for Cupps. The last 2 years the Elks Bball had only Centerville kids & did it without any move-ins.
Dude… get a life. lol
Springfield was impressive. A QB who can sling it and weapons who can flat out fly.

What happened to the Moe starting QB for the first 12 games? Was it injury, discipline, or other? If they benched that kid it had better had been a great reason, b/c it may have cost them a state championship .

Moe's offense was (in a sense) like Colerain in their prime. Running game = unstoppable, but when it's 3rd and long or they are trailing and have to throw = vulnerable.

Not sure why they got cute and went away from Marshall. Those 18 seniors will regret this for a long long time.
The Moe qb change is so bizarre. The Dunn kid had good numbers and they were winning. The other odd thing is they brought up the freshman over the 2nd stringer (Robinson). What happened to Dunn and Robinson? The freshman looked “ok” in the 2 games that I watched, but not good enough to leap those other two.
The qb change and the horrible late-game play-calling has to have moe fans scratching their heads.
Also, surprised to see Marshall come off the field as much as he did. Is that normal for him? He’d come in, run twice, and ask for a break. Or, they’d start a series and he would not be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.