Div. IV: NE 1-2 (East)

Ohiohshoops3

Wanted to get a thread started and a discussion going on this district. One of the early favorites has to be McDonald based on their start so far:

BADGER
BLOOMFIELD
BRISTOL
BROOKFIELD
CHALKER
DAVID ANDERSON
HEARTLAND CHRISTIAN
JACKSON-MILTON
JOHN F KENNEDY
LAKE CENTER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
LEETONIA
LORDSTOWN
LOWELLVILLE
MAPLEWOOD
MATHEWS
MCDONALD
SEBRING MCKINLEY
ST JOHN SCHOOL
ST THOMAS AQUINAS
SOUTHERN LOCAL
WELLSVILLE
WESTERN RESERVE
WINDHAM
VALLEY CHRISTIAN

It’ll be interesting to see how the districts play out in the new format. The top teams in no order to me are: Bristol, Brookfield, McDonald, JFK, Aquinas, Southern, Lowellville, and Heartland Christian. Which, speaking of Heartland, credit to their coach and administration, they had one of the worst basketball teams I’ve ever seen a few years ago and now they’re good and winning games

It’ll be interesting to see how the districts play out in the new format. The top teams in no order to me are: Bristol, Brookfield, McDonald, JFK, Aquinas, Southern, Lowellville, and Heartland Christian. Which, speaking of Heartland, credit to their coach and administration, they had one of the worst basketball teams I’ve ever seen a few years ago and now they’re good and winning games
What that staff has done with the program is truly impressive. They continue to get better each week as well.

Mcdonald,Aquinas,Bristol, and Brookfield are my top 4.
I'd agree with those 4. But would also consider Lowellvile and Southern Local as well. Anything is possible come tournament time.

And I definitely wouldn't sleep on Aquinas. They are very athletic and played pretty decent against an undefeated Struthers team on the Fieldhouse floor. They could be dangerous.
Their schedule will definitely prepare them for the tournament.

McDonald still the top team in the district right now sitting at 14-0. From there a lot of team battling for the next couple seeds. Should be a fun tournament this year.

Seeding is next week. I’d have to imagine McDonald gets the 1. After that there’s really a glut of teams where I don’t think anyone has separated themselves to be the clear 2.

SL & Heartland a top team??? WHAT

struthersfan I'd like to know your rankings for this district top to bottom
Here goes, see what you think:

• McDonald- 14-0 (Should roll into Struthers at 20-0)
  • Bristol- 5-2 (Tournament tested)
  • David Anderson- 11-3 (Could pull a surprise or two)
  • Wellsville- 7-4 (Dangerous team, could really surprise a higher seed)
  • Heartland Christian- 10-3 (Having a special team, could surprise)
  • St Thomas Aquinas- 2-5 (Losses to Louisville, Struthers, WB and Massillon)
  • John F Kennedy- 2-2 (Schedule is brutal, especially what’s coming up)
  • Lowellville- 8-5 (Up & down, depends if they show up)
  • Brookfield- 6-6
  • Southern Local- 6-2 (Indians are decent, could get hot tournament time)
  • Valley Christian- 6-3
  • Jackson-Milton- 8-9 (Some surprising wins, definite darkhorse)
  • Western Reserve- 6-9

• Leetonia- 4-6
  • Lake Center Christian School- 4-10
  • Mathews- 2-4
  • Badger- 3-9
  • Sebring McKinley- 5-13
  • Windham- 1-5 (Competitive in many games)
  • Maplewood- 1-8
  • Chalker- 1-6
  • Lordstown- 3-1 (Red Devils- very little game experience due to Covid) (Nice win 38-36 tonight at Girard)

Based off record Struthers provided:

• McDonald- 14-0
  • Bristol- 5-2
  • Heartland Christian 10-3
  • Southern 6-2
  • Valley Christian 6-3
  • JFK 2-2
  • David Anderson- 11-3
  • Wellsville- 7-4
  • St Thomas Aquinas- 2-5
  • Lowellville- 8-5
  • Brookfield- 6-6
  • Jackson-Milton- 8-9
  • Western Reserve- 6-9
  • Mathews 2-4
  • Leetonia- 4-6
  • Badger- 3-9
  • lordstown 3-1
  • Windham 1-5
  • Sebring McKinley- 5-13
  • Maplewood- 1-8
  • Chalker- 1-6

Here goes, see what you think:

• McDonald- 14-0 (Should roll into Struthers at 20-0)
  • Bristol- 5-2 (Tournament tested)
  • David Anderson- 11-3 (Could pull a surprise or two)
  • Wellsville- 7-4 (Dangerous team, could really surprise a higher seed)
  • Heartland Christian- 10-3 (Having a special team, could surprise)
  • St Thomas Aquinas- 2-5 (Losses to Louisville, Struthers, WB and Massillon)
  • John F Kennedy- 2-2 (Schedule is brutal, especially what’s coming up)
  • Lowellville- 8-5 (Up & down, depends if they show up)
  • Brookfield- 6-6
  • Southern Local- 6-2 (Indians are decent, could get hot tournament time)
  • Valley Christian- 6-3
  • Jackson-Milton- 8-9 (Some surprising wins, definite darkhorse)
  • Western Reserve- 6-9

• Leetonia- 4-6
  • Mathews- 2-4
  • Badger- 3-9
  • Sebring McKinley- 5-13
  • Windham- 1-5 (Competitive in many games)
  • Maplewood- 1-8
  • Chalker- 1-6
  • Lordstown- 3-1 (Red Devils- very little game experience due to Covid) (Nice win 38-36 tonight at Girard)
thanks I'm going to try to do the east seeding but trying to get more info on the river teams

This year its gonna be TOUGH seeding teams. Especially cases like STA and JFK. Not only a difficult schedule but limited games. Teams with 5 games versus team with a dozen or more games. I think of East Canton a few years ago. Didn't have a great record but after a full season the team gelled and got hot at the right time. It may be difficult, if not nearly impossible for that type scenario to happen this year
Didn't realize that Brookfield dropped to D4

It’ll be interesting to see which district teams hop in. Not that McDonald is an unbeatable force this year, but I’d imagine the other teams will really feel like they have an opportunity to win the opposite district of the one McDonald is in. Am I crazy to think that seeds 2-6 or so all might jump into the other district following that logic?

or maybe someone like Bristol goes opposite McDonald and plays them in district semi teams 3-18 go other bracket then you would have the bottom 4 teams in a bracket with them I doubt it but if you think 2-7 goes away from McDonald I'd do it

or maybe someone like Bristol goes opposite McDonald and plays them in district semi teams 3-18 go other bracket then you would have the bottom 4 teams in a bracket with them I doubt it but if you think 2-7 goes away from McDonald I'd do it
You may have a point.
But despite their 14-0 record they have had a few close ones. (Bristol, NMSL, Garfield, Waterloo twice)
They have a really nice team, but have shown they aren't unbeatable.
I think JFK, Aquinas, Valley, Heartland, Bristol or Lisbon could pull off an upset. Perhaps Lowellvile, JM, Leetonia or WR could also possibly pull off a huge upset. When you play one of your conference rivals a third time, anything is possible.
They end at NMSL, home to Lowellvile and end the season at the Fieldhouse against my Wildcats.
That's a brutal end to a schedule.
If I were any of the decent teams I'd want to play them right after that Struthers game. Might catch 'em napping.
Their only advantage is due to seeding they'll play most games at home.

I personally think it's gonna be bonkers this year. :p:p:p

You may have a point.
But despite their 14-0 record they have had a few close ones. (Bristol, NMSL, Garfield, Waterloo twice)
They have a really nice team, but have shown they aren't unbeatable.
I think JFK, Aquinas, Valley, Heartland, Bristol or Lisbon could pull off an upset. Perhaps Lowellvile, JM, Leetonia or WR could also possibly pull off a huge upset. When you play one of your conference rivals a third time, anything is possible.
They end at NMSL, home to Lowellvile and end the season at the Fieldhouse against my Wildcats.
That's a brutal end to a schedule.
If I were any of the decent teams I'd want to play them right after that Struthers game. Might catch 'em napping.
Their only advantage is due to seeding they'll play most games at home.

I personally think it's gonna be bonkers this year. :p:p:p
I'm watching JFK versus Waterloo right now. JFK destroying them. 24 point lead in the 3rd quarter. IF JFK wins this district, it wont be an upset

Yes JFK I think kind of has gotten lost and were an unknown due to the lack of games. Can’t forget they won the Orwell district last year and return a good amount from that squad.

As for their game tonight, the thing that stuck out to me was the score and JFK scoring 89. Waterloo was able to keep the games with McDonald pretty low scoring and grinders. The Vikings are definitely not a team equipped to play high scoring games.

Nice win for Wellsville last night.
Milton had a solid win at home vs Ridge. (Nice to see Mason back on the court)
Bristol was back in the gym with a solid win over Lordstown.

When is the seeding? How long after seeding are the brackets made?

Based off record Struthers provided:

• McDonald- 14-0
  • Bristol- 5-2
  • Heartland Christian 10-3
  • Southern 6-2
  • Valley Christian 6-3
  • JFK 2-2
  • David Anderson- 11-3
  • Wellsville- 7-4
  • St Thomas Aquinas- 2-5
  • Lowellville- 8-5
  • Brookfield- 6-6
  • Jackson-Milton- 8-9
  • Western Reserve- 6-9
  • Mathews 2-4
  • Leetonia- 4-6
  • Badger- 3-9
  • lordstown 3-1
  • Windham 1-5
  • Sebring McKinley- 5-13
  • Maplewood- 1-8
  • Chalker- 1-6
Correction.. Wellsville record is 9-3 just beat Lisbon last night. They play @ Valley Friday (per the paper)

For infractions two years ago doesn't sound right?
They weren't from two years ago.

When I said based off his performance two years ago in the district finals, I mean coaching decisions aka keeping their best player on the court with 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter.

This is what JFK's remaining schedule was prior to the Waterloo game:

John F. Kennedy Catholic- 3-2

Tue, 2/2 5:30 PM Waterloo- (7-4) Away • Non-Conference WON 89-69
Wed, 2/3 Time TBA Struthers- (16-0) Away • Non-Conference
Fri, 2/5 Time TBA Cleveland Central Catholic- (1-6) Away • Non-Conference
Sat, 2/6 5:30 PM Newton Falls- (10-3) Away • Non-Conference
Mon, 2/8 7:00 PM Bristolville Bristol- (5-2) Away • Non-Conference
Fri, 2/12 Time TBA Niles McKinley- (1-8) Away • Non-Conference
Sat, 2/13 7:00 PM Warren G Harding- (1-7) Away • Non-Conference
Mon, 2/15 Time TBA Mogadore- (8-6) Away • Non-Conference
Tue, 2/16 7:00 PM Warren Champion- (6-5) Away • Non-Conference
Wed, 2/17 7:00 PM Youngstown Boardman- (11-3) Away • Non-Conference
Fri, 2/19 7:00 PM Gates Mills Gilmour Academy- (6-6) Away • Non-Conference

Pretty brutal, especially considering they are all on the road.