Div. 4 NE 1 & 2

Ohiohshoops3

Figure now that the season is going, it is time to get a thread rolling to discuss the teams and potential district Champions. Teams showing some early success so for:
Mathews
Bristol
Lowellville

Teams below are in the combined District this year (Records based on Max Prep, if wrong I apologize):

ACADEMY OF URBAN SCHOLARS: 1-6
BADGER: 3-2
BLOOMFIELD: 0-3
BRISTOL: 4-0
BROOKFIELD: 2-2
CHALKER: 2-3
DAVID ANDERSON: 3-2
FAIRPORT HARDING: 1-2
]HEARTLAND CHRISTIAN: 5-1
JACKSON-MILTON: 1-3
JOHN F KENNEDY: 0-1
LAKE CENTER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL: 0-5
LEETONIA: 0-4
LORDSTOWN: 0-5
LOWELLVILLE: 5-1
MAPLEWOOD: 1-3
MATHEWS: 5-0
MCDONALD: 3-3
SEBRING MCKINLEY: 3-3
SOUTHERN LOCAL: 0-2
ST JOHN SCHOOL: 1-2
ST THOMAS AQUINAS: 1-2
VALLEY CHRISTIAN: 3-1
WELLSVILLE: 3-1
WESTERN RESERVE: 1-5
WINDHAM: 2-3

ACADEMY OF URBAN SCHOLARS: 1-7
BADGER: 4-2
BLOOMFIELD: 0-6
BRISTOL: 4-2
BROOKFIELD: 3-5
CHALKER: 2-4
DAVID ANDERSON: 6-2
FAIRPORT HARDING: 2-5
]HEARTLAND CHRISTIAN: 9-3
JACKSON-MILTON: 4-5
JOHN F KENNEDY: 1-3
LAKE CENTER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL: 1-9
LEETONIA: 0-8
LORDSTOWN: 0-5
LOWELLVILLE: 6-2
MAPLEWOOD: 1-4
MATHEWS: 7-1
MCDONALD: 3-4
SEBRING MCKINLEY: 3-4
SOUTHERN LOCAL: 2-5
ST JOHN SCHOOL: 1-3
ST THOMAS AQUINAS: 3-3
VALLEY CHRISTIAN: 4-4
WELLSVILLE: 5-2
WESTERN RESERVE: 2-7
WINDHAM: 3-3

While they don't have the best record, I think JFK might be the top team here after defeating Heartland pretty easily. Bristol, Mathews, Heartland, and Lowellville are probably the next tier. Quite frankly though I do not think any of these teams are super strong and the top teams would struggle to get out of a District semi in past years.

ACADEMY OF URBAN SCHOLARS: 4-9
BADGER: 6-6
BRISTOL: 10-3
BROOKFIELD: 4-7
CHALKER: 4-7
DAVID ANDERSON: 8-3
FAIRPORT HARDING: 3-9
]HEARTLAND CHRISTIAN: 10-3
JACKSON-MILTON: 5-7
JOHN F KENNEDY: 5-5
LAKE CENTER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL: 3-12
LEETONIA: 2-11
LORDSTOWN: 1-6
LOWELLVILLE: 9-2
MAPLEWOOD: 3-7
MATHEWS: 13-1
MCDONALD: 5-6
SEBRING MCKINLEY: 3-8
SOUTHERN LOCAL: 3-9
ST JOHN SCHOOL: 2-8
ST THOMAS AQUINAS: 8-4
VALLEY CHRISTIAN: 7-7
WELLSVILLE: 9-4
WESTERN RESERVE: 6-9
WINDHAM: 4-4

Here is my early power ranking groupings

District title favorites (In no order)
Mathews
Aquinas
Lowellville

Contenders
Jfk
Bristol
Heartland Christian

Dark horse Longshots
Badger
Wellsville
David Anderson
Brookfield

I can't see a team I didn't mention making it to the District Final

Tourney is right around the corner, here are the standings via Maxprep:

ACADEMY OF URBAN SCHOLARS: 4-9
BADGER: 7-7
BRISTOL: 12-4
BROOKFIELD: 5-8
CHALKER: 5-8
DAVID ANDERSON: 10-5
FAIRPORT HARDING: 3-11
]HEARTLAND CHRISTIAN: 12-3
JACKSON-MILTON: 7-8
JOHN F KENNEDY: 9-5
LAKE CENTER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL: 4-13
LEETONIA: 4-12
LORDSTOWN: 1-9
LOWELLVILLE: 11-3
MAPLEWOOD: 4-9
MATHEWS: 16-1
MCDONALD: 5-8
SEBRING MCKINLEY: 3-12
SOUTHERN LOCAL: 5-9
ST JOHN SCHOOL: 2-10
ST THOMAS AQUINAS: 8-5
VALLEY CHRISTIAN: 8-8
WELLSVILLE: 10-5
WESTERN RESERVE: 7-10
WINDHAM: 5-6

St. Thomas Aquinas beat Warren JFK 80-40 last night. Aquinas won the first meeting between these teams by 1 point a few weeks ago.

Both these teams have been all over the map this year....blowing out teams, getting blown out at times....for instance,

Aquinas has lost to Ravenna Southeast twice (in blowout fashion last week)....JFK has beaten Southeast twice
Aquinas lost to Canton Central Catholic twice....JFK beat Central Catholic
Aquinas has beaten JFK twice
JFK blew out Bristol last week

I don't know what to expect from either of them come tournament time.

St. Thomas Aquinas 80, Warren JFK 40

ST. THOMAS AQUINAS (9-6):
Leishman 10 0-1 23, Kelley 2 1-2 4, O'Neal 5 2-4 13, Tackett 2 1-2 5, Burick 0 1-2 1, Walsh 1 2-2 4, Grogan 2 0-0 4, Kimbrough 6 1-2 15, Card-Tarver 3 0-1 6, Jeter 2 0-0 4. Totals 32 8-16 80.

WARREN JFK (9-6): Condoleon 2 3-4 7, Elser 1 2-2 4, Valent 1 0-0 3, Ciminero 1 0-0 2, Meola 1 0-0 2, Ryan 5 2-2 12, Brown 2 0-0 5, Ryan 1 0-0 2, Salero-McCoy 1 0-0 3. Totals 14 7-8 40.

St. Thomas Aquinas – 13 – 20 – 24 – 23 — 80

Warren JFK – 11 – 9 – 11 – 9 — 40

3-Point Field Goals: Leishman 3, Kimbrough 2, O’Neal, Valent, Brown. Total fouls: Warren JFK 15-10. Fouled out: None. Technicals: Warren JFK coach. JV: Warren JFK won.

St. Thomas Aquinas beat Warren JFK 80-40 last night. Aquinas won the first meeting between these teams by 1 point a few weeks ago.

Both these teams have been all over the map this year....blowing out teams, getting blown out at times....for instance,

Aquinas has lost to Ravenna Southeast twice (in blowout fashion last week)....JFK has beaten Southeast twice

I heard JFK had key players out??

I thought the inconsistency was over for the Knights from the beginning of the year, obviously not after the bad weekend. 4 of the 6 current losses are to two teams that in my opinion STA is more talented than.

BTW, here are the two dunks within about 20 seconds from the JFK game last night.

Struthers— im predicting STA has no issues getting to the final. Upper portion of the bracket- Lowellville should make it to semis; I think the winner of Windham-Brookfield gives Heartland issues (if they win their first game). I’m not going to make any predictions of who wins this district until I see some tourney games first.

Orwell— I’m predicting JFK easily gets to the final and Bristol upsets Mathews. Mathew’s schedule is pretty weak, imo… JFK wins this district. They’re battle tested.

Maybe I’m wrong, but we’ll see! I’m ready for some good tournament basketball.

Last edited:
This is the best time of the year. Aquinas and Lowellville would be a fun game, they have some similarities and both have played some tough teams.

LCC and Bristol should be a fun game, look at some of the wins LCC has had this year as well as close games. Would love to see a round three with Bristol and Mathews.

I do not know much about Wellsville but Bug is a great coach and always has his teams competing year in and year out.

Brookfield been stepping up lately, Matthews is having a great year, Heartland has potentially best player in district.
Let’s get this rolling!!

Struthers— im predicting STA has no issues getting to the final. Upper portion of the bracket- Lowellville should make it to semis; I think the winner of Windham-Brookfield gives Heartland issues (if they win their first game). I’m not going to make any predictions of who wins this district until I see some tourney games first.

Orwell— I’m predicting JFK easily gets to the final and Bristol upsets Mathews. Mathew’s schedule is pretty weak, imo… JFK wins this district. They’re battle tested.

Maybe I’m wrong, but we’ll see! I’m ready for some good tournament basketball.
Mathews schedule is undoubtedly weak but that shouldn't hurt them against Bristol who is in the same league and who the Mustangs dispatched twice this year already. Also, Bristol better not look past Lake Center Christian before getting to Mathews.

Mathews schedule is undoubtedly weak but that shouldn't hurt them against Bristol who is in the same league and who the Mustangs dispatched twice this year already. Also, Bristol better not look past Lake Center Christian before getting to Mathews.
I totally forgot about Lake Center. They've been pretty hot as of late, Besides against JFK.. If Bristol and Mathews meet again, I still think it's a competitive game. It's tough to beat a team 3 times.