Div 3 Region 9 - Playoff Thread

I think the phila fans checked out after last week but if any are still around what are the chances the former TCC quarterback is inserted in at QB,the kid is big,strong and a very good athlete? I think they could be a tough out even without May,too many athletes

The Aurora/Steubenville game is the most interesting to me.

Aurora is a really difficult team to figure out. Their first four games were not that impressive. Of course, it was the first four games of the season, teams were still finding out who they were and how good some of their opponents were supposed to be. Then in week 5, Aurora started playing their SLA schedule and absolutely destroyed everyone. Those last 6 weeks were extremely impressive.

On the flipside, this is the weakest I have ever seen the Suburban League or Suburban League American (since the merger). Did Aurora put it together in week 5 and become the #1 team in the state like it looks? Or is the SLA extremely weak this year and those knockout wins for the last 6 weeks a mirage? I'm thinking this week against Steubenville will answer alot of questions. Aurora certainly was impressive when I saw them in week 5.
Aurora started a 15 year old Sophomore QB this year. The first to start that young since 2004. He has gotten better every week and is now playing like an upperclassman. He is big and tough with a big arm. I think his confidence now has the offense complimenting the defense. Defense has given up 47 points on the entire season and 14 of those points were given up by the JV. The big question Friday night is whether that Defense can stop the power running game of Big Red. The RB has run for 1906 yds in 9 games! Steubenville is not great on defense. Aurora will put some points up.

I think the phila fans checked out after last week but if any are still around what are the chances the former TCC quarterback is inserted in at QB,the kid is big,strong and a very good athlete? I think they could be a tough out even without May,too many athletes
If that was true, I don't think it would be public?

Could see Phila going this route. #27 would be a dual-threat QB (who's also the same size as May). Guess it would depend on how well #27 can still throw (he broke his elbow 2 years ago). Otherwise, can see Phila returning to the days when they relied heavily on a talented RB (i.e. Johnson).

Could see Phila going this route. #27 would be a dual-threat QB (who's also the same size as May). Guess it would depend on how well #27 can still throw (he broke his elbow 2 years ago). Otherwise, can see Phila returning to the days when they relied heavily on a talented RB (i.e. Johnson).
I didn’t know about the elbow but he could be an answer if physically able,certainly a strong athlete.

I didn’t know about the elbow but he could be an answer if physically able,certainly a strong athlete.

His older brother was TCC's starting QB in earlier years. He was slated to take over next, but he broke his elbow and had to have surgery, before the season even started. Was unable to play for TCC's entire 2017 season. Then, started playing for Phila in 2018.

The Aurora/Steubenville game is the most interesting to me.

Aurora is a really difficult team to figure out. Their first four games were not that impressive. Of course, it was the first four games of the season, teams were still finding out who they were and how good some of their opponents were supposed to be. Then in week 5, Aurora started playing their SLA schedule and absolutely destroyed everyone. Those last 6 weeks were extremely impressive.

On the flipside, this is the weakest I have ever seen the Suburban League or Suburban League American (since the merger). Did Aurora put it together in week 5 and become the #1 team in the state like it looks? Or is the SLA extremely weak this year and those knockout wins for the last 6 weeks a mirage? I'm thinking this week against Steubenville will answer alot of questions. Aurora certainly was impressive when I saw them in week 5.
I'm right there with you! But the overall records of the teams they played seem particularly bad! The first four games they played, where you said they, "not Impressive", those teams have a combined record of 14-26, then the week 5 game where you said they were, "impressive" was against 1-9 Tallmadge. Their opponents have a combined record of 38-62!
I know a team's schedule isn't always an indication of how good a team can be, just ask Kenston's opponent's last year (their beaten opponent had a combined record of 37-53).
What it ultimately boils down to is they beat every team that they faced this year! I will say this, if they have an above average passing game, then Big Red will have their hands full!

From the other side I wonder how well Big Red will play away from home as they play So many games in Steubenville every year and rarely travel. It is also hard to guage the level of competition they played because it was mostly out of State opposition.

From the other side I wonder how well Big Red will play away from home as they play So many games in Steubenville every year and rarely travel. It is also hard to guage the level of competition they played because it was mostly out of State opposition.
I don’t think it matters where they play,Dover is considered an excellent environment but it doesn’t bother them at all that I can tell.

Unfortunately, I heard they checked out as soon as May left the field. I guess we'll find out tomorrow night, hopefully they still believe in themselves and pull off the victory.

I think PHILA should run the offense out of the wildcat formation through no. 1 because he is maybe more elusive and you could still run the ball with no.27/ 47and even Zemis and also mix in a short to medium range passing attack pretty easily with those talented veteran players. I think JOSEPH would be able to run or pass very effectively and give them a chance to compete in the playoffs. The defense is still intact and had a very sucessful season so goodluck QUAKERS from a TORNADO fan .

Big Red may not travel much during the regular season, but believe me when I say this, Reno has traveling down to a science! EVERYTHING is planned to the minute. Aurora is a little more than a two hour bus ride, so Reno will pre-plan at least one stop for the Charter Buses; the players will use this time to get out get something to eat, stretch and potentially go over some of the game plans, which will include some run through! The buses will pull into the Stadium with more than enough time for the players and coaches to get acclimated to the area and do more review for the game! Well, that was what was done 25+ years ago, I don't imagine much has changed in that regard.

Big Red may not travel much during the regular season, but believe me when I say this, Reno has traveling down to a science! EVERYTHING is planned to the minute. Aurora is a little more than a two hour bus ride, so Reno will pre-plan at least one stop for the Charter Buses; the players will use this time to get out get something to eat, stretch and potentially go over some of the game plans, which will include some run through! The buses will pull into the Stadium with more than enough time for the players and coaches to get acclimated to the area and do more review for the game! Well, that was what was done 25+ years ago, I don't imagine much has changed in that regard.
Wow! All other schools must rush to the away games and arrive just minutes before kick-off without the thought of letting their players stretch and relax first. That Reno sure does have these bus rides all scientifically figured out!

Dover can at least attest to how good NY St. Francis is (and who Big Red beat). Here’s a clip (really for Phila’s doubting Old56 ;)) from the Dover-St. Francis game, where the announcers discuss how good St. Francis’s QB is. During other parts of the game, they talked about how impressive St. Francis was as a team.

Wow! All other schools must rush to the away games and arrive just minutes before kick-off without the thought of letting their players stretch and relax first. That Reno sure does have these bus rides all scientifically figured out!
Did I even mention other schools? My point is basically; Reno knows what's he's doing to prepare the players for games! This isn't his first rodeo; or second or third or fourth... And you'd be surprised how many other teams would load their team up on schools buses and travel 2+ hours nonstop for a game!

I'm right there with you! But the overall records of the teams they played seem particularly bad! The first four games they played, where you said they, "not Impressive", those teams have a combined record of 14-26, then the week 5 game where you said they were, "impressive" was against 1-9 Tallmadge. Their opponents have a combined record of 38-62!
I just meant in the first 4 games, they had two close games against decent teams and two mild blowouts against very weak teams. After that, they poured it on...even against a very good Barberton team.

They may win and they may lose, but you will always be an idiot.

Big Red has had as many road games in the last 5 years as almost anyone in Ohio. Even more games than almost anyone in Ohio. Does it matter if 8 games are at home if you average 13 or 14 games a year?

Big Red has had as many road games in the last 5 years as almost anyone in Ohio. Even more games than almost anyone in Ohio. Does it matter if 8 games are at home if you average 13 or 14 games a year?

What like 10 road games in 5 years? Neutral site playoff games are not the same as road games.

What like 10 road games in 5 years? Neutral site playoff games are not the same as road games.
And road games for Big Red can't be compared to normal road games for other teams since typically Big Red brings more fans than the home team has!

LOL! You Steubenville guys have the thinnest skin on Yappi! It couldn't be easier to get you to react if you were one of Pavlov's dogs...

And road games for Big Red can't be compared to normal road games for other teams since typically Big Red brings more fans than the home team has!

I remember Big Red travels well. I was at both games back when you all made the couple trips up to Chardon

Game day!! It’s going to be very cold, in the 20s for most locations. Hopefully it doesn’t affect play and no one gets hurt.
Good luck to all the teams!

Aurora started a 15 year old Sophomore QB this year. The first to start that young since 2004. He has gotten better every week and is now playing like an upperclassman. He is big and tough with a big arm. I think his confidence now has the offense complimenting the defense. Defense has given up 47 points on the entire season and 14 of those points were given up by the JV. The big question Friday night is whether that Defense can stop the power running game of Big Red. The RB has run for 1906 yds in 9 games! Steubenville is not great on defense. Aurora will put some points up.
You pretty much nailed it.