Div 3 Region 9 - Playoff Thread

SeeYaSometime

The top 8 teams are determined and the Week 11 matchups are set. Games are Friday night.

#8 Kenston @ #1 New Philadelphia

#7 St. Vincent - St. Mary @ #2 Streetsboro

#6 Chardon @ #3 Dover

#5 Steubenville @ #4 Aurora

Who advances this weekend? Thoughts? Discussion.

Kenston (New Philly QB out)
St. V. (Boro hasn't played anyone St. V. has)
Chardon (Hard to prepare for Run game)
Aurora (will slow down Big Red's run game)

I just heard/saw the weather forecast for Friday in the Northeast. (Not sure about New Philly.) Daily high in the mid 30s, with the low near 20. That’s cold folks. I know as a fan, that’s outside my window. Will the temperature affect the play?

Are all the home fields turf?

Steubenville at Aurora could be the game of the week. Both teams have great arguments as to why they should win. I just don't see Steubenville making an early exit from the playoffs.

Interesting fact about Chardon-Dover game. It is a rematch of 1998 first round game played at Kent State in which Chardon's head coach, Mitch Hewitt (Mr. Football Runner Up and 2 time Division 2 Defensive Player of the Year who played for Urban Meyer at Bowling Green), led the Hilltoppers to a hard fought 20-14 win over the Dan Ifft coached Dover team. Coach Ifft is still there. He has established Dover as a top notch Ohio high school football program. You don't win as many games as he has without being a great coach. Chardon, playing with its own kids and its own consistent system, has also played quality football since their first playoff appearance in 1987. By the way, coach Ifft will not be the only guy who coached in the '98 game who will also be coaching this Friday night. I will be there as well. God bless and may the Hilltoppers have a joyous ride home!

I see SVSM is not selling presale tickets for Friday’s game at Streetsboro. All tickets are $9.00 at the gate. Is this how it is for all the playoff games now?

I see SVSM is not selling presale tickets for Friday’s game at Streetsboro. All tickets are $9.00 at the gate. Is this how it is for all the playoff games now?

No. Dover is selling pre-sale tickets for $8 until Friday @ noon. Visiting Chardon also has 1,000 pre-sale tickets to sell for $8 until Friday @ noon. Otherwise, the ticket price is $9 at the gate.

Starting next week, you have to buy them online, or at the gate

Last edited:
No. Dover is selling pre-sale tickets for $8 until Friday @ noon. Visiting Chardon also has 1,000 pre-sale tickets to sell for $8 until Friday @ noon. Otherwise, the ticket price is $9 at the gate.

I wondered if this was the Athletic Office being lazy. Can’t be bothered. They sold no presale tickets at the end of the season. I know they were caught up in the ticket scam company, but this week’s tickets would come from either Streetsboro or ohsaa. No legitimate reason I can see for not preselling to your fans. The assistant AD Has been in charge of ticket sales, but I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t make the decision without the go ahead from the AD or Carone.

The Aurora/Steubenville game is the most interesting to me.

Aurora is a really difficult team to figure out. Their first four games were not that impressive. Of course, it was the first four games of the season, teams were still finding out who they were and how good some of their opponents were supposed to be. Then in week 5, Aurora started playing their SLA schedule and absolutely destroyed everyone. Those last 6 weeks were extremely impressive.

On the flipside, this is the weakest I have ever seen the Suburban League or Suburban League American (since the merger). Did Aurora put it together in week 5 and become the #1 team in the state like it looks? Or is the SLA extremely weak this year and those knockout wins for the last 6 weeks a mirage? I'm thinking this week against Steubenville will answer alot of questions. Aurora certainly was impressive when I saw them in week 5.