District Tournament; Alternate Hopefuls

Any clue on any top 4 wrestlers of the sectionals tournaments not going to be able to make it to the districts yet? I am sure there are some hopefuls out there that finished 5th wanting another chance.

Always a double-edged sword. I hate the fact that someone who earned a top 4 spot would be unable to compete. ...and my son placed 5th at a sectional!!!
Yeah I would love to see a 3 day districts and get rid of the 4 sectionals so if there is a tough sectionals at a certain weight class and a weak one in another a kid with 40 wins doesn't lose out to a kid with 15 wins due to a weak weight class at their sectionals. My son is 39 and 10 and took 5th at the sectionals he was at and pinned a kid with 40 wins for 5th. He is a senior and made districts all other 3 years so it just sucks he might not be there for his senior year and was projected by baums to be a top 4 district qualifier. One bad match cost him.

Well you have to also look at who they wrestled. Many of the top guys don’t wrestle every event only the big ones. Or they may have had an injury. If your are a good wrestler you should be able to make it out of a sectional, if not well that’s probably on the wrestler.

I agree partly with what you say. However with that logic a #4 should never beat a #1. A 5 at one sectional could beat the other top 3 at a different sectional. "Its all about who you wrestle."

If you can’t be the top 4 at a sectional you aren’t making it to state anyway. There are plenty of sectionals the talent is watered down. Been like that for years. Also they don’t seed the districts so the draws are not perfect. Bottoms line don’t make excuses for kids, handle business and you would be at the district.

They do seed the districts according to placement at sectionals. So although I agree with you about not making excuses... a 5 could make it to state at a tough sectionals. Where their 5 is better than a 1 at a different sectionals. Been that way for years.

There is no perfect system but the way it is arranged now with Sectionals is way better than going to some Super bracket over 3 days.. especially think about the cost and travel issues and so many kids missing school... I feel for any kid that did not make it out.. but life is not perfect or fair... the system we have has been in place for a long time and has served it's purpose well.

If you can’t be the top 4 at a sectional you aren’t making it to state anyway. There are plenty of sectionals the talent is watered down. Been like that for years. Also they don’t seed the districts so the draws are not perfect. Bottoms line don’t make excuses for kids, handle business and you would be at the district.
Not true! My boys junior year he lost and got 5th. All 4 made it to state out of his sectional . Both loses in all the OT’s . Wins either match and makes it to state. Just how the cards fell. The other sectionals in district had kids make it to district with losing record .

Last edited:
Firestone back in the day took 5 to state and other districts 3. Many #5's from Firestone placed. That was when only 6 placed in Columbus.

This doesn't make sense for a 16 man bracket - that only gets 14 to state. Was it 5-4-4-3 just like D1 was when Central sent 5 as it was combined with northwest and southeast?

There is no perfect system but the way it is arranged now with Sectionals is way better than going to some Super bracket over 3 days.. especially think about the cost and travel issues and so many kids missing school... I feel for any kid that did not make it out.. but life is not perfect or fair... the system we have has been in place for a long time and has served it's purpose well.
Better than the follow the guy that beat you back in my day. I lost twice (Jr and Sr yr) by a point to kids that finished 4th in Columbus but lost and never got to wrestleback.
This doesn't make sense for a 16 man bracket - that only gets 14 to state. Was it 5-4-4-3 just like D1 was when Central sent 5 as it was combined with northwest and southeast?
Pretty sure you got it right. 5 Firestone, 4-4-3 rest of state. I'll dig out an old bracket when I get home.

Hate to hope a top 4 doesn't make it, but I'd love if my 126lb alternate made it in at Heath D3 this weekend. He is a freshman and improved dramatically this season. I want him to see the level he needs to be at for next season.

Speaking of alternates...

What is the reason that the brackets do not change to reflect an alternate? Meaning... Why does a sectional 5 replace a sectional champ... why not just slide everyone up a placement in the bracket?

Is there a reason that it is done the way it is? It can not be for "time" as it would take very limited time to move 4 kids on a bracket....

Ya but when they did 5,4,4,3...it rotated. So you might get 5 the one year but only get 3 the next.

Central/Northwest in D1 got 5 every year that I was in HS - mid 90s because it included such a large number of schools. The district tournament rotated between Columbus area and Toledo area.

I wrestled D2 at Marion Harding (northwest district) in 1995....we took 5. My junior year we only took 3 from my district.

Last edited:
Not true! My boys junior year he lost and got 5th. All 4 made it to state out of his sectional . Both loses in all the OT’s . Wins either match and makes it to state. Just how the cards fell. The other sectionals in district had kids make it to district with losing record .

Not true!
Memory loss sucks.

Not true!
Memory loss sucks.
Sorry, 3 out of 4, went back and checked! Beachem
Shirley
And Wyche
Made it to state , Beachem got 4th
Shirley 0-2
Wyche 1-2
I’m well aware the scores . He lost in 1st ot to Altman and in last 30/30 of ot lost to Wyche off a reversal . 2 years before that 220 or 195 had the toughest sectional out of Lebanon.

Better than the follow the guy that beat you back in my day. I lost twice (Jr and Sr yr) by a point to kids that finished 4th in Columbus but lost and never got to wrestleback.

Pretty sure you got it right. 5 Firestone, 4-4-3 rest of state. I'll dig out an old bracket when I get home.
Southwest sent 3 wrestlers for a few years early mid 90s, changed i believe late 90s.. then it went 4 across the board and has not changed...

The reason for the alternate replacing the scratch is to cause the least disruption to the overall bracket (at the state tournament, there's a printed program in play). It's been that way since alternates were allowed to enter brackets at first the state level and then the district level.

I had a wrestler before alternates who ended up with a bye first round at Districts.
It unnerved him watching his first match opponent wrestle. Came out for his first match in the second round and was down like 0-7 before coming back for the win!

If you can’t be the top 4 at a sectional you aren’t making it to state anyway.

Patrick Simon (Olmsted Falls) placed 5th at sectional and went on to make it to the state semis. He lost his first round match at district to Vough and didn't lose again until he wrestled Teacher in the state semis. It's rare, but that's the one sectional 5th to state qualifier/placer example that comes to mind.