District Results-Centerville girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will not comment on any of the girls' posts. They deserve to have their voices and perspective.

I come back to this quote many times in my life...
Hemmingway said, "Never write about a place until you're away from it because that gives you perspective."

Basically, what I am trying to say is that the positive, negative experiences from high school cannot be felt from the ramifications until years later. Similar to my viewpoints of having a coach/president/principal. We cannot view the quality and long term effects until many years later.

At this point, I am sad for all parties involved. I am sorry that I started this string of posts, high school is tough enough without having all of this drama.
What is supposed to be a fun, entertaining, enjoyment and life long activity- CROSS COUNTRY- has turned into drama, drama, drama, drama...

You almost wish Centerville never won a state title and was just mediocre. Mediocre results sometimes are the best journeys with unforgettable memories. And a place where you find lifelong friends.

I had posted previously that there are some kids with good experiences and some kids with bad experiences. The one thing that is different is that I don’t say kids who don’t share same experience are out partying. I would never do that. I think everyone is allowed to share their experience. I do not agree with trying to discredit those that do not share same viewpoints.
Girls that came forward we’re not out partying night before races. You cannot go out drinking and then turn around and wake up around 5-6 for the bus and run 18:00-19:00 race. My daughter came home from practice and got ready and attended pasta parties night before race. If there was a football game, she usually left at half time unless it was SNL or a Thursday night game. It’s disheartening to see this approach taken.

I had posted previously that there are some kids with good experiences and some kids with bad experiences. The one thing that is different is that I don’t say kids who don’t share same experience are out partying. I would never do that. I think everyone is allowed to share their experience. I do not agree with trying to discredit those that do not share same viewpoints.
Girls that came forward we’re not out partying night before races. You cannot go out drinking and then turn around and wake up around 5-6 for the bus and run 18:00-19:00 race. My daughter came home from practice and got ready and attended pasta parties night before race. If there was a football game, she usually left at half time unless it was SNL or a Thursday night game. It’s disheartening to see this approach taken.
Thanks. This is very important to remember.

Before I go on I would just like to throw out a reminder to those of us not in the program. Be open to considering information that doesn't fit your current opinion. When I started reading responses saying, essentially, "I don't believe these people inside the program because I have never observed that kind of behavior" it bothered me. It is fine to have your opinion, but in a situation like this posting that online can not only be hurtful if there people who have been hurt (because you are essentially telling that person they are a liar) it can also make you look foolish if other things come to light later.

I pretty strongly believe that saying things like the only people who have had a problem with a coach were athletes out partying is dismissive (not to mention almost certainly false in a program the size of Centerville's). It is always important to remember that your experience of something is not always the same as someone else's experience of the same thing.

Maybe it's about time we just wrap this whole thread up and let bygones be bygones.

I get that this is a discussion board and thus understand why this topic has gotten so much discussion, but it's kind of sad that this is the biggest thread we have had on here in years. With all the positive things that thousands of kids experience every year by being a part of cross country, I would hope we can save some of our passion for the discussion of such.

Maybe it's about time we just wrap this whole thread up and let bygones be bygones.

I get that this is a discussion board and thus understand why this topic has gotten so much discussion, but it's kind of sad that this is the biggest thread we have had on here in years. With all the positive things that thousands of kids experience every year by being a part of cross country, I would hope we can save some of our passion for the discussion of such.

Do you really want to let possible abuse by a coach go?

Let bygones be bygones- if emotional abuse is happening? Is this another Penn State with Paterno? Is this another MSU with Larry Nassar? Is this another Ohio State with Richard Strauss? Is this emotional abuse similar to the dethroned Alberto Salazar?

You really want to let it go if high school girls are on here claiming that they and other girls on their team are seeing a therapist on a daily basis because of their coach? Do you really want monsters to be walking around in your community?

It is NOT my decision to let it go. But if I was an employee of this school district or if my daughter was on the team. There would be a school board investigation. There should be an official 'fact-finding' right now with the HR department.

Let bygones be bygones- if emotional abuse is happening? Is this another Penn State with Paterno? Is this another MSU with Larry Nassar? Is this another Ohio State with Richard Strauss? Is this emotional abuse similar to the dethroned Alberto Salazar?
Will not happen in the court of Yappi. Perhaps the Board will do something with the accusations.

You really want to let it go if high school girls are on here claiming that they and other girls on their team are seeing a therapist on a daily basis because of their coach? Do you really want monsters to be walking around in your community?

It is NOT my decision to let it go. But if I was an employee of this school district or if my daughter was on the team. There would be a school board investigation. There should be an official 'fact-finding' right now with the HR department.

Are you serious? Comparisons to the situations that existed at PSU & MSU are way out-of-bounds, and frankly, defamatory, IMHO. I would be very careful if I were you in making comparisons. Even the situation with Mary Cain & NOP and staff can't compare to PSU & MSU. Huge difference between those situations and a coach's actions that are obviously seen differently by current & former members of his team that have posted here.

Let's either close this thread or return it to the original discussion about the strategy of using 2nd-stringers at the district meet to advance the 1st stringers thru to the regional meet. THAT is what this whole thread was about. Centerville admin has obviously made its own decision. Good luck to the Elks.

Bump this again to get under your skin. Lol.

I don’t see why this would be closed because literally people involved both past and present have voiced their concerns and opinion. There obviously has been no closure to the original topic along with other things that arose from this discussion. I don’t know if there ever be any closure though am hoping to see if these things might get addressed.

If you’re tired of the discussion and thread, just stop getting on here and move on.

I have, just like many of you, coached for 25+ years........you have many kids coming to your program and all of them come from different environments and have different experiences with authority. All of these young kids have different perceptions and handle pressure in different ways.

The 2 posts goes to show you that these teams that are running at Centerville have a lot of dynamics.

I saw that Centerville ran the open race at NXR but didn't have their full varsity squad. Did Bucher and Walsh run somewhere else?

So-let's get back to the heart of this matter:

Many of you have commented that Coach Dobson made a "mistake" by running his second seven and shouldn't be judged by this one fateful error. I see this much differently. In fact, the decision to run the JV in the district meet was comprised of FOUR major mistakes. The first mistake was obvious, the JV didn't qualify to the regional.

The second mistake is tied to not applying his training principles equally to all runners on his team. Apparently, his training principles dictate that high school runners cannot be at their best if they have to run more than two weekends in a row. For this reason, he sat his top seven runners in the district so they would only have to run in the regional and state. However, the JV runners that were sent to the line at the district ran far more than two weeks in a row. In fact, the JV ran nearly every weekend all season long. How could the JV be at their best with the fate of the varsity in their hands (or legs) if the JV competed every weekend all season long? It doesn't fit his overall training philosophy and makes absolutely no sense using his own logic. Why didn't he rest his JV district runners at GWOC or Les Eisenhart or the Firebird Invite or SNL? Why didn't he apply his training philosophy to the entire team instead of just the top 7? Are the varsity runners the only ones that matter on his team. It seems so since he didn't rest the JV to prepare them for the district meet.

The third mistake comes from the fact that he didn't even really run #8-14. He ran #9-15. With Emma Bucher out for the season, the #8 moved up to the top 7, etc. It is unfortunate for the varsity girls that his philosophy backfired. To train all summer and fall and only get to race 5 or so times all season is so unfair. These girls do not put in all that work to be rested every other weekend. The training system didn't work for Emma, especially. She still ended up in a boot despite the multitude of 'resting' weekends.

It is ironic that the team theme for CGXC this year was "PRIDE". Pride happens to be high on the list of the capital vices (also called the seven deadly sins) and is considered to be the most serious. Coach Dobson's own pride got in the way of enabling him to see the risk he was taking with his team. His desire to show the rest of the state how deep his team is clouded his decision making process. That defines exactly why pride is a deadly sin.

The fourth mistake in this decision making process is tied to PRIDE. He says he researched the results and was confident that his JV would qualify as a team onto the regional. I am guessing this really wasn't the case. If you look (really just glance) at the GWOC results. You can clearly see that both Miamisburg and Fairmont were very close to his JV team runner for runner. Check it out for yourself if you do not believe me. For him to take this chance is unfathomable. His pride got in the way for he could not believe that these midlevel programs could be remotely close to his JV. His pride cost the their team dearly.

GWOC race results:

It’s been a couple months since the last post. Has anyone heard any news about this blunder since then? The last post was dead on and I have a feeling Centerville admin is hoping it will die out and people will forget.

I’m not trying to rekindle anything but as we go into indoor and then outdoor, this mistake is still going to impact the kids that are competing and am hoping some changes have been made.

It’s been a couple months since the last post. Has anyone heard any news about this blunder since then? The last post was dead on and I have a feeling Centerville admin is hoping it will die out and people will forget.

I’m not trying to rekindle anything but as we go into indoor and then outdoor, this mistake is still going to impact the kids that are competing and am hoping some changes have been made.

Why don't you go straight to Centerville HS and ask them yourself?

How does a decision made at the end of XC impact kids in indoor and outdoor track????????

It could have a big impact, if like many(most) XC coaches Dobson works with the distance kids in track(I have no idea if he does).

By the way, you'd think Dobson would be on thin ice(and his best behavior) after the push to get him removed in 2018 went as far as a school board vote(he survived 3-1).

Why don't you go straight to Centerville HS and ask them yourself?
Jeez...maybe I should contact Walsh and the other runners who were affected by a stupid coach’s decision.

A winning coach doesn’t mean a great coach. There is no way I would contact Centerville admin. It’s looking like they are backing statistics rather than the student athletes.

Jeez...maybe I should contact Walsh and the other runners who were affected by a stupid coach’s decision.

A winning coach doesn’t mean a great coach. There is no way I would contact Centerville admin. It’s looking like they are backing statistics rather than the student athletes.
Go right ahead.

Attachments

• 1579493769459.png
    1579493769459.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 20
grange45: You stated that the decision affects kids in indoor and outdoor. It was asked how, but you did not answer. I'm interested in that answer too. How can it possibly impact kids in a different sport? Other than deciding not to participate in track and field for some reason.

The answer is no. At least not a full B team. They place 2nd to Lebanon.
Which shows they realized its not worth it to again run their entire b team. It's stupid how someone could defend that coaching decision when they didn't do the same thing this year running their b team. Dobson knows if he did it again and they didnt make it out (which easily could happen again) he would be out of a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.