District Results-Centerville girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

EuclidandViren

Rumor has it Centerville girls ran their JV's at the district meet (i know this is a tradition for them) but it backfired and they did not advance.

Any truth to the rumor? They were 9th overall. How many teams advance from their district?

Rumor has it Centerville girls ran their JV's at the district meet (i know this is a tradition for them) but it backfired and they did not advance.

Any truth to the rumor? They were 9th overall. How many teams advance from their district?

Results page stated that 7 teams were advancing, and they were 9th - 9 pts. behind 7th. The 7th place team, Fairmont, beat them at the 1, 2, and 3 spots.

Shocking from the #5 team in the state of Ohio. Any other big District upsets from top 10 teams?

Any other teams around the state-run their JV teams today?

If indeed this was a gambit by Centerville coaching and it backfired (I don't know...I only read what I see here), then one seriously has to question the head coach in making such a move. Bucher, and especially Walsh deserve more out of their coach....IF indeed this was the case.

Bellbrook with 348 girls has the door opened for them to participate in the state meet. This put Centerville JV girls in a very unfortunate situation. If the Centerville coach is still around after this season, I don't imagine he'll try this strategy again. Even when it works, it's just not the right thing to do.

This whole resting kids is getting bonkers, LET THE KIDS RACE. Where is PsychoDad to chime in on his 25 races a year he did, back in the day!!!

Bellbrook with 348 girls has the door opened for them to participate in the state meet. This put Centerville JV girls in a very unfortunate situation. If the Centerville coach is still around after this season, I don't imagine he'll try this strategy again. Even when it works, it's just not the right thing to do.

Bellbrook was the number 8 team out of Cedarville District. They will 100% NOT be making it to state. But good for them finishing as well as they did considering their size. Love seeing the little guys do well.

Emma Bucher appeared to be in a boot, but it may have just been a precautionary measure.

Outside of my own daughter, Emma is my favorite. Whole situation is unfortunate and I wish the Centerville girls and coaches the best next year.

They were the 4th ranked team in the state. Wow....
Centerville's outstanding varsity girls team was eliminated by their coach being "too cute by half", that's obvious. But their JV girls should NEVER have been put in a position to not qualify when they have 7 elite girls. Those JV girls were treated just as unfairly as the varsity squad by a coach trying to prove how smart he is. Centerville's AD is under a lot of pressure to fire his girl's XC coach, and he should.

Full disclosure: I am the Centerville Boys Head Coach. I coached under David Dobson, the Centerville Girls Head Coach, for 4 years. Our programs are run completely separate so I don’t have any insider point of view, but I do have an opinion on the matter. I don’t come to Yappi often but I came tonight to share my thoughts.

it was heartbreaking to watch those girls realize what had happened today. I don’t think they thought in a million years they wouldn’t be running next week. But I know the coaches’ hearts were breaking too. Not because their “cute plan” would make them look bad, or because their jobs would be on the line. Their hearts were breaking because they knew a decision they had made ended the season. The decision to run the second seven is not some power move, or the coaching staff trying to out smart everyone else. It is just what they do. And they have done it for many years. The second seven girls love the opportunity to run in the varsity post season. It gives more girls the opportunity to run in the coveted “gold shorts” and be a contributor to the team. Did it work out for them this year? No. Will they be more cautious in the future? Probably. But if you listened to their team meeting after the race you would have heard why Coach Dobson is one of the best, if not the best, coach in the state of Ohio. He talked about their core values, something their team developed at the beginning of the season. How they are not defined by their performance on the course alone. He doesn’t develop fast runners, he develops good people who happen to run fast. In no way should his future with the team be in jeopardy. In the off-season he did a book study with his team on the “The Energy Bus”. His team will learn and grow more from that book and this experience than they did from 4 state championships and 2 second place finishes in a seven year span. He will lead them through this experience and they will come out the other side stronger. He is an amazing coach and I hope my four year old daughter decides to run cross country 10 years from now because I would love for her to be coached by him and be part of their amazing team.

Bellbrook was the number 8 team out of Cedarville District. They will 100% NOT be making it to state. But good for them finishing as well as they did considering their size. Love seeing the little guys do well.
My error.

Full disclosure: I am the Centerville Boys Head Coach. I coached under David Dobson, the Centerville Girls Head Coach, for 4 years. Our programs are run completely separate so I don’t have any insider point of view, but I do have an opinion on the matter. I don’t come to Yappi often but I came tonight to share my thoughts.

it was heartbreaking to watch those girls realize what had happened today. I don’t think they thought in a million years they wouldn’t be running next week. But I know the coaches’ hearts were breaking too. Not because their “cute plan” would make them look bad, or because their jobs would be on the line. Their hearts were breaking because they knew a decision they had made ended the season. The decision to run the second seven is not some power move, or the coaching staff trying to out smart everyone else. It is just what they do. And they have done it for many years. The second seven girls love the opportunity to run in the varsity post season. It gives more girls the opportunity to run in the coveted “gold shorts” and be a contributor to the team. Did it work out for them this year? No. Will they be more cautious in the future? Probably. But if you listened to their team meeting after the race you would have heard why Coach Dobson is one of the best, if not the best, coach in the state of Ohio. He talked about their core values, something their team developed at the beginning of the season. How they are not defined by their performance on the course alone. He doesn’t develop fast runners, he develops good people who happen to run fast. In no way should his future with the team be in jeopardy. In the off-season he did a book study with his team on the “The Energy Bus”. His team will learn and grow more from that book and this experience than they did from 4 state championships and 2 second place finishes in a seven year span. He will lead them through this experience and they will come out the other side stronger. He is an amazing coach and I hope my four year old daughter decides to run cross country 10 years from now because I would love for her to be coached by him and be part of their amazing team.
Still, his decision to not run his top 7 is a lack of understanding of where they are at this year when compared to other teams in the district. There is a point when you know you have a team where you can't do it. One VERY BAD decision can easily negate all the good things he has done in the past. This decision was one of the worst coaching moves I've seen in a very long time.

It's more important to point how this negatively impacted those 7 girls that should be running at state. I feel terrible for the seniors. It's inexcusable. Two, maybe three girls on that team lost their chance to be All Ohio and the team had an outside shot to win.

Last edited:
Centerville's Emma O'Brien (senior) finished 27th and qualifies to regional as an individual.

I could not imagine how this week will go for the team, or for her.

Still, his decision to not run his top 7 is a lack of understanding of where they are at this year when compared to other teams in the district. There is a point when you know you have a team where you can't do it. One VERY BAD decision can easily negate all the good things he has done in the past. This decision was one of the worst coaching moves I've seen in a very long time.

It's more important to point how this negatively impacted those 7 girls that should be running at state. I feel terrible for the seniors. It's inexcusable. Two, maybe three girls on that team lost their chance to be All Ohio and the team had an outside shot to win.
To clarify, I did not come here to post a defense of his decision. I came here to let you know about him as a coach. As a developer of high school kids. I wanted to say something about him as a person before the internet lets you know what they think of him based on this one decision.

I also didn’t come to debate anything. Thanks for reading my posts.

I understand but I think it might be better for you to voice your opinion to the board and ad and the parents, where it really matters right now. This is just a forum where people discuss sports and where people comment and debate. Most people on here know him and know the man he is. I personally like him a lot and hope a positive outcome happens (and forgiveness). I also know there was a group of parents last year that were trying to oust him and this is easily firepower for them to use. Again I feel more terrible for the athletes involved though.

Most unfortunate. Mr. Dobson has obviously proved himself over the years with their program quality. While it is a fine thing to want to give 2nd tier runners an opportunity to compete in the state tournament, that desire should always be subjugated to ensuring that the top runners WILL be competing further. We should thank the men's coach for his apt explanation of the situation from his perspective. I don't think Mr. Dobson should be fired for this particular failure, but I think anything like that again would appropriately be grounds for such. Coaching mistakes are exactly that - mistakes of judgment.

Good luck to the Elks in the future.

At the end of the day, the coach just had to be the smartest guy in the room. Fair turn around if you ask me.

At the end of the day, the coach just had to be the smartest guy in the room. Fair turn around if you ask me.
Totally disagree. Hopefully Dobson apologizes because this is one of the biggest mistakes I’ve seen in ages in the sport and hopefully they forgive him. I can’t even fathom what’s going on in the heads of those girls involved and the parents of those girls. They should of never been in this spot and every year they did this it’s been a gamble with a small chance of this happening. Why risk it?

If the top 7 runners run poorly and don’t move on, its mostly on them (or the coach’s training). This is all on the coach.

Also, when you’re in postseason you always put your best on the line unless there is an injury with a couple you want to rest or your giving your eighth runner one last chance to show what they can do because they’ve been improving over the past few weeks.

Instead of sitting the top 7 he should of packed ran with the top 5 to push the fifth runner or ran some type of strategy race. If something crazy happens and they are on the bubble of not making it you know that the top runners can kick it in gear to place and move on.

From the AD and ADMIN standpoint:

100% it is about the kids.

When you are a coach it is not about you.

I can't imagine any other sport doing this? Has this ever been done before? Has a football team ever started the first round with only their JV guys?

When was the last time Centerville did not make it out of the district meet? Hold that pause for a very long time.....crickets.... NEVER.

I could care less about his state titles and accolades. I could care less about how nice of a guy he is and his core values. These are meaningless.
After everything is settled-this guy will not be known for winning state titles or his values--but one thing- his EGO. His EGO was so big that he wanted to poop on all of the other teams in the district by running his JV girls against everyone else's varsity teams.

Contrary- if the team did get out of the district meet? What message does this send to the other teams in the district? How does this make the other schools feel? How does it make that varsity girl from Timbuktu feel when you defame her by running your JV against me to FLEX your muscles?

This act was about one person- the coach- it is shameful and sadistic. 100% all about ME, ME, ME in this situation. Not about the kids, not about the program or the culture. It is about how powerful I am as a coach.

I care about the kids on the team. How are the kids on his team feeling?

I care about the 7 that will NEVER experience the post-season in 2019. The 7 that ran the district race and are now traumatized for life.
Are these girls sleeping? Is the coach sleeping? I couldn't imagine doing something this horrible to student-athletes.

I would expect a resignation within 24 hours if I was the AD, principal, and superintendent.

I don't think this has anything to do with an ego. Aside from reading the head boy's coach perspective I can tell you this - I hated competing against Centerville at the State meet. I was jealous of them being fortunate enough to take District week off and focus on training one more week. I believe that was a competitive edge afforded to their Varsity girls by having a strong program.

Aside from what we all would have done - Dobson wasn't doing this selfishly. He was doing it to give the Varsity an advantage. I disagree with it, but have never had more than 20 girls in our program to have that opportunity...

From the AD and ADMIN standpoint:

100% it is about the kids.

Contrary- if the team did get out of the district meet? What message does this send to the other teams in the district? How does this make the other schools feel? How does it make that varsity girl from Timbuktu feel when you defame her by running your JV against me to FLEX your muscles?

I care about the kids on the team. How are the kids on his team feeling?

I care about the 7 that will NEVER experience the post-season in 2019. The 7 that ran the district race and are now traumatized for life.
Are these girls sleeping? Is the coach sleeping? I couldn't imagine doing something this horrible to student-athletes.

I couldn't say it better. Even if he didn't think it was showing off their depth at districts it can easily be perceived as that, which is why no one does it. Its good sportsmanship. Even Beavercreek ran their top runners because there is a pride at winning districts and representing your school and they are favored to win.

Ooops!

Lighten up a bit. If it's ok to do when it works, it's ok to do even if it doesn't. Poor sportsmanship is poor sportsmanship. Dual meet. League or State Championship.

Everyone knows that kids can't be optimally trained for NTN if they bother to run District, Regional or State. If you want to think small, run your best runners at the District meet. Chumps run the OHSAA tournament. They weren't going to beat Beavercreak, so what's the point?

Next year they are doing the slightly less coveted " Gold with a big brown spot Shorts"

None of the girls on the Centerville CC team have parents? Why doesn't a program the size of Centerville have any assistant coaches?

I sort of expect to see a pig head on a stick in the middle of the team camp.

Sorry coach, my daughter is going to run.

Sorry coach, my daughter is going to run.
Sorry coach, let’s go to the Night Lights and beat the home team again. Lol. I like that mentality better.

I really think (and hope) Dobson doesn't have that mentality you mentioned. I really don’t think he does.

Being on the top for a long time can put blinders on people.

Status
Not open for further replies.