Disappointing/Surprising Teams.

chwestbroo

Picks for teams that surprised us and/or teams that were disappointing.

Springboro's success caught my attention. CJ losing in back-to-back weeks at home to Alter was disappointing, to say the least.

I’m possibly splitting hairs, but Fleck, Ungruhn, Everman, Meier, and Otte all played substantial snaps last year - and I think they were all starters on defense (and Schwieterman is a sixth returner at safety). But your point is still true that ML has been a pleasant surprise this year, and Goodwin deserves nearly all of the credit as usual.

The logic on here makes no sense?? Ft Recovery was a bad team last year and just because they had a lot of guys back everyone thought they were going to complete for the MAC?? They have a lot back next year and will be a .500 team at best. Anna had everybody back from a team that shared the MAC last year and people are surprised with their success? Also anybody who doesn’t predict Marion Local in the top three in the MAC as long as Goodwin is there obviously hasn’t been paying attention.

Poland, which started the season trying a spread, pass-first five wide approach only to nuke that 1.5 games into the season. They almost lost started 0-3 and now have a very good chance to make the state championship game next week. Everyone says it was as simple as developing the new QB (original starter injured in Boardman game in a non-contact situation) and switching back to their traditional power offense but I also give their coaches credit. I was not impressed with the way Williams coached against Boardman and felt he cost his team in a few areas but everyone has turned things around and they're rolling. Happy for him because had Poland underachieved this season there may have been a coaching change and now he's two games from a state title. And he is 4 years removed from Coach Brungard being there so I give him a lot of credit.

Surprise:
Rockford Parkway - 4-6 and was very competitive and capable of winning 2 others and was one of two teams to NOT get running clocked by Anna. (Was Minster running clocked by Anna at any point? IF not then its 3 teams). Had the 2nd or 3rd best back in the league. I didnt expect them to be as competitive as they were.

Disappointment:
Fort Recovery- loaded on talent. Couldn't do much with it and struggled with teams they shouldn't have.

Last edited:
East Palestine and Urbana didn't win a game this season. I thought both would win their conferences. Locally, Twinsburg played more like the AL Tigers than Twins. Only two wins-close road games-and I believe four of the five home games had a running clock.

Urbana only had about 26 kids and were horrendous. They were real good last year and lost quite a bit. 0-2 wins were fairly expected.

Is nobody going to mention Kenston? They returned three first team all-ohio guys from a team that running clocked all of DIII on their way o a state title. Then they lost in the first round this year to a New Philadelphia team without Baron May. I think everyone on here expected them to easily repeat.

East Palestine and Urbana didn't win a game this season. I thought both would win their conferences.

East Palestine posters knew they were gonna struggle this year. The preseason favorite to win that conference did- Sourhern Local

Surprising teams....Mansfield, Go T(y)gers.

Massillon, they lost the schools all time leading rusher, Adrik Ford & some good linemen tO graduation....defensively they lost Kyshad Mack, the Turner Kid at corner, Dean Clark at safety and receiver, Hunter Wantz at nose among others. I knew they would be good but not this good.

Disappointing teams....

Massillon Jackson as always had an average year and haven't won a playoff game in 18 years.

Pickerington North had superstar talent, but squandered it. They never got over losing their projected starting QB. Even though they played a super tough schedule, the blowout losses to Northmont and Westerville Central were inexcusable - as was their no-show playoff performance.

Pickerington North had superstar talent, but squandered it. They never got over losing their projected starting QB. Even though they played a super tough schedule, the blowout losses to Northmont and Westerville Central were inexcusable - as was their no-show playoff performance.
Who was their QB that was projected to start? No way would it have been Myers

Two disappointments

Big Walnut: lost to mediocre D5 Johnstown in the season opener and finished fourth (out of six) in the worst OCC division.

Columbus Ready: Cutler’s first year back and they make no noise whatsoever. There’s no reason why Ready can’t win their part of the MSL.

Two surprises

Ironton: second year under their current head coach and they just straight romped their way to Canton.

Newark Catholic: also a second year head coach, won their part of the LCL.

It was pretty hard to miss if you read the paper , it was Gio Thomas who I believe started at PC then wanted to go to PN but had to wait for Lowery to graduate , so he went TO Washington Courthouse for a year then thought eh would saunter back to PN , he did but was waiting for a ruling on whether he could play past five games when they suspended him for the first two games the well traveled refugee got up and left to go to Florida .

So no Myers was not the guy they thought would be the QB , but had to be early and that obviously didn't work out that well as Sawyer was their best option eventually .

Not sure if this is a surprise or not BUT

Toledo Woodward starting off 0-5 then finishing 4-0-1 to win the Toledo City League title. This senior class at Woodward definitely did work in conference the last 4 seasons going 15-4-1 (20-18-1 overall). Not sure if its coaching or athletes or both but the North End Polar Bears have been doing good and its nice to see.