DII - Wilmington - Thoughts and discussion

Graham in 2009 scored 282 points, which is the all-division points record for the state meet. The 7 champs is also a record, as are the nine finalists.

With Morris out spg left some points on the table at Sectional. I had only seen foster at 138 he's even more impressive at 132

With Morris out spg left some points on the table at Sectional. I had only seen foster at 138 he's even more impressive at 132
im sure if he would’ve done much better than swigart

Best Friday night matches (quarterfinal)? Here are a few to get started
106: Hornfeck/Miller
132: 3 Solid ones at this weight! Anyone see the Devlin/McClelland final at Graham? That's a surprise unless I'm missing something
138: Roback/McCoy; Rush/Hughes
215: Emmons/Burns
285: Jacks/Wagers
Gotta have. 126 Sauter /Ellis quarter on this list

I believe 2009 was their best team? They had 7 state champs that year, which I also think was a record or tied the record?
Bucksman can verify if it was or not, but I'm pretty sure.

2009 Ohio High School Division II Team Scores

1. St. Paris Graham Local 282.0
2. Uhrichsville Claymont 81.0
3. Hunting Val. Univ. School 80.5

First Place Final
103: Nick Brascetta, St. Paris Graham Local maj. dec. Andrew Bertubin, Cambridge 13-4
112: Ty Mitch, Aurora dec. Brandon Gambucci, Lexington 12-7
119: Johnni DiJulius, Cuy. Falls Walsh Jesuit dec. Drew Stone, Oak Harbor 1-0
125: Zach Neibert, St. Paris Graham Local dec. Nate Skonieczny, Cuy. Falls Walsh Jesu 8-6
130: Felipe Martinez, St. Paris Graham Local pin Ryan Nakama, Sunbury Big Walnut 1:14
135: David Taylor, St. Paris Graham Local pin Manuel Cintron, Alliance 2:39
140: Harrison Hightower, Hunting Val. Univ. School dec. Matt Stephens, St. Paris Grah 5-2
145: Brian Stephens, St. Paris Graham Local maj. dec. Mike Fee, Mentor Lake Cath. 14-6
152: Jonathan McGookey, Sandusky Perkins dec. Huston Evans, St. Paris Graham Local 9-3
160: Kyle Ryan, St. Paris Graham Local dec. Adam Walters, Chesterland W. Geauga 5-2
171: Zach Garbrandt, Uhrichsville Claymont dec. Dennis Raber, Orrville 4-3
189: Max Thomusseit, St. Paris Graham Local dec. Nick Mills, Hunting Val. Univ. Schoo 4-1
215: Tyler Houska, Medina Highland dec. Dave Pickerel, Tol. Central Cath. 3-2ott
285: Josh Jackson, Uhrichsville Claymont dec. Ian Jones, Painesville Harvey 5-4
Does anyone know who got the better of who in the room? Felipe or David Taylor. I would assume they were partners

What a weekend. Tourney ran well as expected. Hate the new layout as coach’s obstructed view much of the time and scoreboard obstructed view all the time. Loved having scoreboards at each mat rather than using bb scoreboards. This district has gotten much tougher with the addition of the central teams. Long concession lines, but oddly seemed worth it because of the great attitude and effort of the Wilmington supporters. Mrs. W singing the anthem each session is always nice as well. Overall great experience, just control the coaches( mainly two staffs doing what they want) and put scoreboards on the corents rather than in the middle of the gym.

What a weekend. Tourney ran well as expected. Hate the new layout as coach’s obstructed view much of the time and scoreboard obstructed view all the time. Loved having scoreboards at each mat rather than using bb scoreboards. This district has gotten much tougher with the addition of the central teams. Long concession lines, but oddly seemed worth it because of the great attitude and effort of the Wilmington supporters. Mrs. W singing the anthem each session is always nice as well. Overall great experience, just control the coaches( mainly two staffs doing what they want) and put scoreboards on the corents rather than in the middle of the gym.
The Central with 7-10 Teams this year in Top 10. Wasn't to long ago when the Central went to the Eastern District and was considered the weak sister of the group. The Wrestling by Schools and Individuals has really picked up and the next 4-5 the Central in D2 has some tough kids coming up. Watch out for Watterson they were 3rd at small school State JR High Duals and DeSales was 3rd at Large School State JR High duals.

If I counted correctly, LV sectional produced 24 top four placers, Graham sectional with 15 (12 of whom are from Graham!), C-M is sending 11 (4 each from Ross and Wilmington), and WB sectional sending 6. Far too many kids at the LV sectional, so hopefully they split that one with half staying in the SW District and the other half perhaps feeding the SE District. Might also help with the competitive balance among the Districts, but who knows.

I know there's a fair amount of bashing Graham on here, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching those boys wrestle this weekend. Tactical and driven ... absolute clinitians (if that isn't a word, it should be!). Congratulations to all of the State qualifiers from the SW District, and I hope they represent well.

Last edited:
If I counted correctly, LV sectional produced 24 top four placers, Graham sectional with 15 (12 of whom are from Graham!), C-M is sending 11 (4 each from Ross and Wilmington), and WB sectional sending 6. Far too many kids at the LV sectional, so hopefully they split that one with half staying in the SW District and the other half perhaps feeding the SE District. Might also help with the competitive balance among the Districts, but who knows.

I know there's a fair amount of bashing Graham on here, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching those boys wrestle this weekend. Tactical and driven ... absolute clinitians (if that isn't a word, it should be!). Congratulations to all of the State qualifiers from the SW District, and I hope they represent well.
Any clue how the the one and only central sectional made their way to Wilmington? They have 18 teams at their sectional. Washington Ct. House which is down the street now has to travel elsewhere? Wahington CT. only had 8 teams? Why are they not there? Congrats to all the placers!

Any clue how the the one and only central sectional made their way to Wilmington? They have 18 teams at their sectional. Washington Ct. House which is down the street now has to travel elsewhere? Wahington CT. only had 8 teams? Why are they not there? Congrats to all the placers!
The sectional should be split but they central will have to either still go to the SW district still or to the East district. According to the Ohsaa they do not like to split districts up and send them to 2 different districts unless they have to.

The Licking Valley sectional had 19 teams according to OHSAA even though 21 were listed. Only 19 counted as a team

While I feel for the d2 licking valley sectional we in the SE had the same issue for years where we had 20 teams in 1 sectional. We finally got the numbers when it was split . We competed in the East district for years then the central was moved into the east district and SE was moved in with the SW which for schools like new lex and athens it made no sense to drive past a district.

Ohsaa then made another move and sent half the teams from the SE to the east district along with the Central sectional . The other half of Southeast teams were sent to the SW district . It worked for 10 years.

Then a few years ago without many in the SE know the Central was moved into the SW teams from the Washington CH sectional were moved East and told we had to travel to Claymont for districts which is 330 miles compared to a 20 mile ride to Wilmington.
The Ohsaa said they were correcting things . The SE had to be in the same district because by being split we had more opportunities to qualify to state. Even though it made more sense to continue to send the WCH sectional to the closer district.

I will be watching this closely to see if the OHSAA stands by this . Both SE sectionals still had enough teams to be recognized as separate sectionals .

OHSAA could do a couple things.
1. Split the central and make a combined SE/Central sectional based on Geography which would make the most sense but most likely wont happen

washington
miami trace
mcclain
circleville
logan elm
hillsboro
unioto
chillicothe may be coming back to d2
waverly could go east
Farifield Union possibly east

central
London
Johnathan alder
hamilton township
bloom carroll

Rest of the Central would have their own sectional and go east.

2. The other option is The Central is split into 2 . They host their own sectional then the other teams are sent to the SW sectionals. When WCH was in the SW it was a combined SE/SW sectional .

The Clinton Massie Sectional only had 10 teams count towards the sectional , so I would say that is where they would send teams from the central .

3. I have no clue and just was talking .

Im probably going to go with option 3

Who didn’t get out that you winers feel should’ve? I get so tired of hearing things aren’t fair and excuses being made. News flash life isn’t always fair. Don’t like your circumstances change them! Get better at the sport of wrestling with a winners mentality, instead of a participation award mentality. Sorry to anyone that can’t handle that harsh reality.

Really enjoyed watching the districts this year. I was there the entire time as my boy made it through the blood rounds to place. Great sportsmanship throughout. Some great matches between Columbus DeSales and Graham, Hardy and Watterson, and was really impressed with the Highland Scots wrestlers.

Hope everyone stays healthy and shows out at state this year! Good luck Wilmington district!

Who didn’t get out that you winers feel should’ve? I get so tired of hearing things aren’t fair and excuses being made. News flash life isn’t always fair. Don’t like your circumstances change them! Get better at the sport of wrestling with a winners mentality, instead of a participation award mentality. Sorry to anyone that can’t handle that harsh reality.
Who is whining? I read it as a discussion on the less than logical split of teams. You have teams from as far away as Marion and East of Newark traveling to the "SW" while multiple teams 20 minutes away has to travel all the way to Galia.

Who is whining? I read it as a discussion on the less than logical split of teams. You have teams from as far away as Marion and East of Newark traveling to the "SW" while multiple teams 20 minutes away has to travel all the way to Galia.
Does it really matter how far you have to travel? As long as you get the chance to compete. We have traveled all over the country chasing competition. I took the comment as folks were upset having such big sectionals then having to travel.

Does it really matter how far you have to travel? As long as you get the chance to compete. We have traveled all over the country chasing competition. I took the comment as folks were upset having such big sectionals then having to travel.
Travel does matter when it comes to your student athletes. You should not have to travel 330 miles across the state when you have been going 20 miles away for at least 10 years. We will compete anywhere just want it to be the same for the rest of districts also it should make sense.

When you have the power to make changes that make sense for the kids and those that come watch them , you should do the right thing. Life is not always fair but you should always strive to get it close and do what's right.

It only makes sense to take the WCH sectional and put it in the Wilmington district. LV should either be split or go SE

From DII sectional numbers,
426 fed Gallia [WCH, ALEX, CLAY, STUB]
481 fed Perry [HARVEY, LAKE CATH, NWEST, WBRANCH]
505 fed Norwalk [CLYDE, DEF, SAND, BEACH]
599 fed Wilmington [CMASSIE, WBROWN, LVALLEY, GRAHM]

Across all DII sectionals, the numbers ranged from low of 92 to high of 222 wrestlers [Licking Valley].

SQ's from Licking Valley sectional = 24 [every weight class and multiple in all but 5 weights] Graham sectional = 14 SQ's.

Bucksman said this is a "count" year so adjustments will be made.
Cruiser saying school growth in Central is also driving change.

Not sure if OHSAA priority is parity or geography?

From DII sectional numbers,
426 fed Gallia [WCH, ALEX, CLAY, STUB]
481 fed Perry [HARVEY, LAKE CATH, NWEST, WBRANCH]
505 fed Norwalk [CLYDE, DEF, SAND, BEACH]
599 fed Wilmington [CMASSIE, WBROWN, LVALLEY, GRAHM]

Across all DII sectionals, the numbers ranged from low of 92 to high of 222 wrestlers [Licking Valley].

SQ's from Licking Valley sectional = 24 [every weight class and multiple in all but 5 weights] Graham sectional = 14 SQ's.

Bucksman said this is a "count" year so adjustments will be made.
Cruiser saying school growth in Central is also driving change.

Not sure if OHSAA priority is parity or geography?
Speaking as 1 of the coaches who fought to get the SE sectional split from 21 teams . Ohsaa looks at numbers of actual teams 1st. So if you have less then 7 you are not a team. Then they look at geography and keeping the districts together. For example moving the SE sectional from the SW district to the East district so that both sectionals qualified from the same district.

They do not care about how many state qualifiers and such its all about keep things together now I guess. Like I said for 10 years the SE was split with one going to wilmington for districts and the other going to the East and claymont for districts. Which I thought made sense.

Possible Changes Southwest Ohio sectionals depending on enrollment number cut offs .

Possible move to D3

1. Milton union
  2. Bethel tate
  3. Waynesville
  4. Norwood
  5. Spring northwestern
  6. Blanchester

Moving to d1
`1. Belmont d1
2. Goshen up to d 1
3. Monroe up to d1

Moving to d2

1. Tecumseh comes to d2
  2. Mt healthy comes to d2
  3. Ben logan back up d2
  4. Mcnicholas d2

Graham sectional down to 9 teams with changes and Urbana was not recognized as a team due to only having 6 wrestlers .

Wilmington sectional down to 8 teams . Monroe would be borderline they have 371 so that's close to d1

Western brown sectional will lose 6 teams. They have 14 already so that brings them to 8 . That's without knowing the enrollment numbers for Aiken and Shroder they are tbd.

Central Ohio Sectional had 21 teams looks like it will be 16 total teams with enrollment and changes for this year.
Teams not recognized
Centennial , South , Johnstown , East ,
Maybe marengo hiland

D2 to d3
Heath