DII - Wilmington - Thoughts and discussion

speedthatkills

Time to start the discussion. At first glance 120-132 looks like incredible brackets, as well as 215 and 285 imo. I see 5-8 kids depending on the weight that could get through. Impressed with the improvement of wrestlers over the years of this district. After sitting through the CM sectional I would be happy with another McCoy and Moorman rematch because that match was a war but i think we will see quite a few more. So excited and nervous for this weekend. Bracketbusters? All paint? What do you think?

Believe me I have read the predictions multiple times. If my sons weight go as planned I will be the bald guy crying like a baby. I am however interested in others thoughts. Personally i think the Ross wrestlers are a little under appreciated but I am also a huge homer and I know it. Graham is Graham and while they may not be powerful as a few previous years they are still very impressive. I also appreciate the class they handle themselves with and I do not understand the venom towards them from some schools.

For me HW seems to be the most wide open where i think one move could change the whole brackets. I could easily argue there is 9 kids for four spots. While there is clear favorites HW is one move away from the match being over. 215 is what I am most excited to watch other than my sons matches just simply because of the caliber of athletes in that class. No longer is 215 the light HWY class, but some incredible athletes. 120-138 seems to be tough weight classes to predict and would love to know how boro and bucks determine their choices.

Believe me I have read the predictions multiple times. If my sons weight go as planned I will be the bald guy crying like a baby. I am however interested in others thoughts. Personally i think the Ross wrestlers are a little under appreciated but I am also a huge homer and I know it. Graham is Graham and while they may not be powerful as a few previous years they are still very impressive. I also appreciate the class they handle themselves with and I do not understand the venom towards them from some schools.

For me HW seems to be the most wide open where i think one move could change the whole brackets. I could easily argue there is 9 kids for four spots. While there is clear favorites HW is one move away from the match being over. 215 is what I am most excited to watch other than my sons matches just simply because of the caliber of athletes in that class. No longer is 215 the light HWY class, but some incredible athletes. 120-138 seems to be tough weight classes to predict and would love to know how boro and bucks determine their choices.

For the years we wrestled in this district. Ross wrestlers always seem to peek at this time. They have a very strong program , kids work hard and good coaching staff. I agree they probably a little under appreciated but those in the SW know those kids are usually tough

Agreed--very much looking forward to HWT. Unfortunate that Huff and Neves are on the same side. Wagers and Jacks should be a great quarter-final match, as will be the semi and conso-semi on the bottom half of that bracket. After the the top two, it's anyone's game.
Looks like Moorman put himself right back into mix at 138 after his win over McCoy. The 4th spot at this weight is wide open imo. I like Kulbe to come out on top.
Same with 132. Lots of quality kids in that 3rd-6th range, could go a number of ways. Very interesting 1st round match with Foster and Emmerson--Emmerson is explosive and has the ability to put up points, but think Foster will prove the "seeds" correct. Good chance we see a rematch of the LV sectional with McClelland and Stephens.
Glad we might see Burns and Cramblett in the finals at 57--should be great match.

Best Friday night matches (quarterfinal)? Here are a few to get started
106: Hornfeck/Miller
132: 3 Solid ones at this weight! Anyone see the Devlin/McClelland final at Graham? That's a surprise unless I'm missing something
138: Roback/McCoy; Rush/Hughes
215: Emmons/Burns
285: Jacks/Wagers

132: 3 Solid ones at this weight! Anyone see the Devlin/McClelland final at Graham? That's a surprise unless I'm missing something
I saw it. Devlin caught McClelland in the first period and got a quick 5 on him. McClelland couldn't get the TD in the final seconds.

It will be interesting to see how the Graham sectional winner does against the others in the district.
Agree. There were some really tough weight classes and some that were not so tough. For the most part the top two wrestlers in each weight at sectionals really separated themselves.

this is potentially one of graham’s greatest teams?

yeah, devlin is not beating stevens

SPG may have a stronger team this year then the previous three years.

this is potentially one of graham’s greatest teams?
No, sorry if I made it confusing. I meant they are not as good as they are historically, but still quite formidable and the class of DII. Hard to measure up against some of their past teams when you have a history like that. I do think this is best upper weight lineup they have had as a group though.

The fact the Central is here with a super big sectional has bolstered the depth in this district, in comparison to when it was one southeast sectional joining the three SW sectionals.

Graham clears 13, I think that's obvious.

In terms of the rest, I have London, Bishop Hartley, and DeSales each clearing four; then three each for Hamilton Ross and Licking Valley.

I believe 2009 was their best team? They had 7 state champs that year, which I also think was a record or tied the record?
Bucksman can verify if it was or not, but I'm pretty sure.

2009 Ohio High School Division II Team Scores

1. St. Paris Graham Local 282.0
2. Uhrichsville Claymont 81.0
3. Hunting Val. Univ. School 80.5

First Place Final
103: Nick Brascetta, St. Paris Graham Local maj. dec. Andrew Bertubin, Cambridge 13-4
112: Ty Mitch, Aurora dec. Brandon Gambucci, Lexington 12-7
119: Johnni DiJulius, Cuy. Falls Walsh Jesuit dec. Drew Stone, Oak Harbor 1-0
125: Zach Neibert, St. Paris Graham Local dec. Nate Skonieczny, Cuy. Falls Walsh Jesu 8-6
130: Felipe Martinez, St. Paris Graham Local pin Ryan Nakama, Sunbury Big Walnut 1:14
135: David Taylor, St. Paris Graham Local pin Manuel Cintron, Alliance 2:39
140: Harrison Hightower, Hunting Val. Univ. School dec. Matt Stephens, St. Paris Grah 5-2
145: Brian Stephens, St. Paris Graham Local maj. dec. Mike Fee, Mentor Lake Cath. 14-6
152: Jonathan McGookey, Sandusky Perkins dec. Huston Evans, St. Paris Graham Local 9-3
160: Kyle Ryan, St. Paris Graham Local dec. Adam Walters, Chesterland W. Geauga 5-2
171: Zach Garbrandt, Uhrichsville Claymont dec. Dennis Raber, Orrville 4-3
189: Max Thomusseit, St. Paris Graham Local dec. Nick Mills, Hunting Val. Univ. Schoo 4-1
215: Tyler Houska, Medina Highland dec. Dave Pickerel, Tol. Central Cath. 3-2ott
285: Josh Jackson, Uhrichsville Claymont dec. Ian Jones, Painesville Harvey 5-4