DII Region 8: #5 Bay (9-1) at #4 Ashland (9-1)

Don't know anything about Ashland but would like to hear about their team.

As for Bay, it appears that their starting QB will finally return from injury this week. Bay has used 4 different QB's this year (plus a RB throwing from the Wildcat) due to injuries. They have not been full strength since Week 2 against Streetsboro, but a stingy D has carried them through. Will be interesting to see them at full strength once again.

Who wins and why?

E.S. Furgeson

Unfortunately for the Rockets the quarterback situation has not and will not change this season. But they have been successful in the wildcat and with playing good defense. If Bay can get a few stops it could be a close game.

Auggie

Bay is an excellent example of a good coach making a difference for a program. They have what they always have had; smart decent hard working kids but limited in the athletic category. So a coach comes in and puts them in a place they can make plays so they start winning games and making the playoffs. Good for them.

They hung with Benny LY because it was one of those bad weather days and they play good defense. I would lean Ashland in this game since they are home and have a few more weapons on offense but I would not be surprised if Bay wins this one.

unc4life

Ashland in the past has been known for their offense. They run a 5 wide spread offense and like to throw the ball, although his year they have a good running back and are about 50/50 run, pass. They have a 6'4 Junior Qb in Grant Denbow who is in his second year as a starter. The offense runs through him.

The big difference for Ashland this year is the defense. They are relentless. Not very big, but fast, and they move people around a lot.

Sounds like two good defenses are going to collide on Friday night. Hoping the weather clears for game time,should be a good crowd.

If you want to see video or highlights of Ashland you can go to WMFD.com. They have taped several games for Ashland this season.

cjb56

Bay is an excellent example of a good coach making a difference for a program. They have what they always have had; smart decent hard working kids but limited in the athletic category. So a coach comes in and puts them in a place they can make plays so they start winning games and making the playoffs. Good for them.

They hung with Benny LY because it was one of those bad weather days and they play good defense. I would lean Ashland in this game since they are home and have a few more weapons on offense but I would not be surprised if Bay wins this one.
Coaching has been good, but they also have...for them...once in a decade talents at QB (Koz) and RB (Best)...and that can take you a long way at the lower levels, until you finally hit a team that has even more.

Bugsy8875

The Senior and Junior Classes have been winning since youth football. Their coach is a good coach, but the timing was perfect for him to get some very good kids.

What kind of offense does Bay run? I'm guessing they lean heavy on the run?
As for Bay's offense, when the QB (Koz) is healthy, Bay runs a Pro Set offense with a lot of running between the tackles. Their RB (Best) is a beast and has broken nearly every rushing record at Bay (most yards in a season, most TDs in a career, most TDs in a game, most rushing yards in a game, etc.). However the QB has proven to be more than capable as a passer. When teams have tried to load the box against the run, Bay has not hesitated to go to the spread without skipping a beat. A big key will be how sharp the QB is, since he has been out with an injury since game #2. Sounds like this should be a very competitive game.