DeWine addressing contact sports today — what will he say?

We just have to accept the fact that this going to go down to the wire absent of a community's local Health Board taking a preemptive strike.
I agree, as frustrating as it is, he couldn’t come on today and say 100% the last weekend of this month there will be games. The practices just started Saturday so if in about 7-10 days there aren’t teams and cities that are “hotspots” because of a kid at football practice then we should be good to go.
I will say there absolutely needs to be some solid answers the week of the 16th.

Anyone who thought that this Governor was going to make a decision on sports today has not being following along. You will never ever, ever here him say that football is cancelled. It will be an order from the health department, and probably at this point they just wont remove the current order, and teams will just practice up till game week and then not play.
I agree. This will be a game week decision and I predict comrade Dickwine will not allow the boys to play. This JA actually thinks he is a 2024 potential presidential nominee when he won't even win his parties Ohio gubernatorial primary. That's what you get for being a Kasich anti Trump sleeper cell. Bye fool

He just mandated that all students K-12 need to wear masks. Could he possibly allow football after that? It’s just unbelievable.

Dewine and Husted waste so much time saying and doing nothing. Just use the pressers to only talk about when action is taken

Mandatory masks for k-12 kids announced today is fine. Stop teasing subjects while saying nothing though like they did with sports today

They are just waiting and hoping (not in an evil sense), that an outbreak will occur from a football team practice and then they can pounce and say "see, there is no way we can move ahead with the season and therefore, we are announcing today that fall contact sports are cancelled".

DeWine needs to wait and see. Things could materially improve by the end of August/early September. Or get worse.

I'd like to see the season start mid-September just to have an idea of how well the students and schools are doing.

He just mandated that all students K-12 need to wear masks. Could he possibly allow football after that? It’s just unbelievable.
Jimmy and Johnny have to wear masks and be 6' apart in Algebra and English, but can wrestle around on the field with no mask everyday at practice after school? Makes perfect sense

As for fans in the stands I will say it again, if there can be 800 people in a grocery store that is inside, why can’t there be 1,000 people in a stadium that is outside ?
I know it is rare for stores to reach capacity but after the lockdown there was a line outside my local Lowe’s that we had to wait until someone came out before you went in, so it was at capacity.
I am not trying to be a but if there were no fans, Massilon among other places might revolt against the state. I would hate to be the ones that have to sell limited tickets for games there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s zero chance he’s going to cancel them, especially when they added “pro and college” to the tweet. He’s not that dumb.

But my guess is that he’s not going to say anything of significance either. Same old pandering.

“wrong” again

For everyone saying to essentially read between the lines, Dewine/Husted could've easily said, "We are planning to have football but are working thought the logistics with ODH/OSHAA/ETC." That would've given the certainty that people were looking for while still giving them an out if something big comes up.

For everyone saying to essentially read between the lines, Dewine/Husted could've easily said, "We are planning to have football but are working thought the logistics with ODH/OSHAA/ETC." That would've given the certainty that people were looking for while still giving them an out if something big comes up.

Yet they purposefully didn’t say that. There’s a reason they didn’t say it too.

DeWine clearly wants high school football!!

But he has to play both sides. The masks for all students is a bone for the cautious crowd that allows the gov to go ahead (at least for now) with football as scheduled.

This is awesome!!!!!

I am not trying to be a but if there were no fans, Massilon among other places might revolt against the state. I would hate to be the ones that have to sell limited tickets for games there.
I agree it will be a mess. If any fans are allowed in there will for sure be people that have had season tickets for a long long time not be allowed in. There will be no way they let in more then 20-25% of stadium size , if they even allow close to that #. As with anything else with this virus who the he77 knows. ??‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing to punt until later.

I'd like to be optimistic that this will be resolved and the kids will get to have a somewhat normal season, but IMO they'll take this down the wire...and I unfortunately wouldn't be surprised if they wind up effectively cancelling the season via continued renewal of health department orders.

They are letting practice happen, so relax. They are giving it every chance they can to allow it. Two weeks ago, it would have been a no. Just prepare as if there is a season. There isn't taking it back once it's cancelled, so let them figure it out.

Who cares if it doesn't make sense. They are going to have to twist themselves in knots to say yes, so let them do it. You will all be more upset if they pull the plug.

They are letting practice happen, so relax. They are giving it every chance they can to allow it. Two weeks ago, it would have been a no. Just prepare as if there is a season. There isn't taking it back once it's cancelled, so let them figure it out.

Who cares if it doesn't make sense. They are going to have to twist themselves in knots to say yes, so let them do it. You will all be more upset if they pull the plug.
Because everyone knows they are basically playing right now without the pads. All you have to do is go down and watch a practice. Furthermore, other teams who haven’t said they are playing might jump on board if some one will make a decision.

We are too worried about 'outbreaks' of the virus among healthy people.

As long as the vulnerable population - nearly half of whom are in long-term facilities - are being careful, and their caregivers are being careful, what is so awful about a healthy person getting the virus?

Let's get this behind us - maybe we should get every healthy person exposed asap - and then move on.

I'm guessing that, like the majority of people, I have a natural immunity because I haven't been sick - and I've been around a lot of different folks in the past six months so I've probably been exposed to covid somewhere along the line.

And if I don't have a natural immunity, I sometimes wonder whether I should immediately cram myself into a telephone booth (if I can find one!) with at least five people who are clearly infected so that I too can become infected and soon after move forward with my life in a limitless way, knowing that I am a covid survivor and safe for others to be around.

Because everyone knows they are basically playing right now without the pads. All you have to do is go down and watch a practice. Furthermore, other teams who haven’t said they are playing might jump on board if some one will make a decision.
Ok, The decision is NO FOOTBALL. Feel better? If a school has made a decision not to play already, they have looked at the available info and made their own decision. Good for them. No one seems to change their mind about this. They are are lost cause if they've already stopped.

Ok, The decision is NO FOOTBALL. Feel better? If a school has made a decision not to play already, they have looked at the available info and made their own decision. Good for them. No one seems to change their mind about this. They are are lost cause if they've already stopped.
I have a feeling those schools who cancelled will look back on this in Oct/Nov and realize they made a huge mistake.