Derek Jeter, Larry Walker elected to Baseball Hall of Fame

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Derek Jeter came within one vote of being a unanimous pick for the Hall of Fame, and Larry Walker also earned baseball's highest honor Tuesday.

Jeter, the longtime New York Yankees captain, appeared on 396 of 397 ballots cast by the Baseball Writers' Association of America, falling just shy of the standard set last year when longtime Yankees teammate Mariano Rivera became the first unanimous selection. Jeter's 99.7 voting percentage moved above Ken Griffey Jr. (99.3%) for the second highest.

As a baseball metrics expert, I can say with 99.96% certainty that the one voter who did not include Jeter on his/her ballot is either an ardent Yankee hater, a numbskull, a person seeking attention, or most likely all three...

As a baseball metrics expert, I can say with 99.96% certainty that the one voter who did not include Jeter on his/her ballot is either an ardent Yankee hater, a numbskull, a person seeking attention, or most likely all three...
Or an old time writer.

I think things are changing with the HOF vote. In the past, Jeter would have never come close to unanimous selection to the HOF on his first ballot. But the old writers are dying off and the new writers are willing to change how things are done. Clearly he deserved to be in the HOF but I don't believe that he was more deserving of induction to the HOF than some of the all time greats like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, and Cy Young. None of those were unanimous.

Or an old time writer.

I think things are changing with the HOF vote. In the past, Jeter would have never come close to unanimous selection to the HOF on his first ballot. But the old writers are dying off and the new writers are willing to change how things are done. Clearly he deserved to be in the HOF but I don't believe that he was more deserving of induction to the HOF than some of the all time greats like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, and Cy Young. None of those were unanimous.
You are certainly right. But the fact that a crotchety old writer would not put Ruth, Cobb, Mays, Aaron, Gibson, Koufax, Bench etc, etc. on their ballot the first year "just because" should be grounds for losing your vote. Just vote for the best guys. not a hard concept.